Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

So FF / FG / GP are trying to deliberately bankrupt the country to stick it to SF , if they get in next election ???

Thread has really jumped the shark ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Google John Kampfner's opinion piece in only yesterday's Guardian for an update on German politics. And a good dose of opinions from many in the comments section.

My own take was that the far right was slowly rising in Germany over the last decade. That almost stopped during COVID but now seems to be slowly rising again, the major change being traditional parties having to engage with it, in making decisions.

Yes, I see where you are coming from. Looking back I would have seen many of the comments you make, being made by UK and continental European liberals, mid 2000s. They're not as confident now.

Hard for Ireland to remain an outlier either forever in this increasingly global EU team effort age.

I think whatever government we have will follow also the hardening EU stance towards immigration. Why? Because populations across Europe will support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Well - a few weeks ago we weren't having a give away budget and in the last few budgets we are putting money away for a "Rainy Day", yet bizarrely we are in a financial position to "Divert" 1 Billion Euro without any debate, consultation or actual apparent causation.

This is while we still pay USC and the higher rate of tax on now relatively low incomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Can I ask a question if these planned 5000000 or so extra people are planned over the next couple of years. Does that include if theres a massive downturn in the economy or it's in the toilet completely. Because what goes up must come down in my opinion. I just dont buy that there will be never ending growth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Sure Ireland has been an economic powerhouse for almost it's entire history. Oh wait

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

We probably need a massive recession to reset ourselves and bring us back down to earth. Our debts are unsustainable. Hopefully soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The problem with that though is that it'll only make our current situation worse as we'll still have an unsustainable amount of new arrivals already here and being paid by the welfare system as well as the other supports that are costing billions.

The Government won't just send them home so unless they return voluntarily at that point (which I'm sure many will as Ireland won't be anywhere near as attractive in a recession as the rest of us remember from only a decade ago), we'll still be stuck with the bill and the consequences.

Once the bubble burst all of these “needy” and “scared” “refugees” will suddenly decide they need somewhere with a higher standard of living.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The thing about opinion pieces are, they are only opinions

I'd take with a few pinches of salt

As evidenced by Truss in the UK and others there, Farage for example, yes very probably some are.

But there is no evidence except a traunch of hysterical posters here who like to post anti governmental drivel that that is what is likely going on HERE in Ireland.

There is a stong " anti bullshxxometer" amongst Irish voters who have not had anything like in UK, big houses or wealth handed down from generation to generation nor been told that they must tug their forelock at anyone calked a lord or a lady. Anything we have, we have worked for and earned and any politician seeking to take that away from people will be, and have been given, short shrift.

They have a programme for government which they are following and all has been well flagged.

If people don't like it they should let their local representative know, and /or vote for change in the next GE.

Posting endless nonsense here does nothing, serves noone and unless there are posters posting some reasonable opinion based on fact woth relevant up to date links ( not a few years old and not you tube or X!) it is just an echo chamber howling at the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,472 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I actually thought Declan Ganley was sound enough at the time, but now I'm reading that he is great pals with Nigel Farage and keeps in regular touch with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

Or perhaps one poster has (in your opinion).

Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

But if we are going to get this immigration-driven breakthrough for the right, does it not have to happen while the current influx from Ukraine is going on, or shortly after it has peaked? Do you guys think we'll have tens of thousands coming in from Ukraine for many years to come, or will other countries take up the slack if and when there's some sort of resolution to the Russia/Ukraine conflict?

I mean we've had significant immigration since round the turn of the century, and the right, such as it is in Ireland, has so far made no headway on the back of it, even though they've been trying right from the start.

My expectation is there will be some sort of settlement of Russia-Ukraine within the next couple of years, the exodus from Ukraine will dry up and many of those here will return home, and the whole immigration issue will fall back down the political agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

It's hard to say at this point what will happen in the war in Ukraine. Thus Ukrainian refugees could be here for years more.

They really don't want to be fighting the Russians again.

I doubt immigration/refugees as an issue will disappear unless housing as an issue subsides. I can't see that happening for at least 5 years

The lack of official engagement on the immigration /refugee issue by the government means the vacuum will be filled by the far right.

There is arguments for immigration and refugees

But leo and the lads won't make them

More than one poster thanked that ridiculous post , and others responded similarly ... yes , sigh

Yes I'd hope that there would be a settlement but I don't think a large number of Ukrainians wil return home. Didn't a survey earlier this year confirm that 30% were keen to remain here, and that's just after a year.

Climate change and immigration into Europe are the two dominant issues of our time. Neither are going away. What makes you think immigration into Ireland will be any less important?

I doubt immigration/refugees as an issue will disappear unless housing as an issue subsides. I can't see that happening for at least 5 years

Even that could be soon enough for the political establishment. If we're accepting that this supposed breakthrough for the right will not happen in the upcoming GE then you're looking to the following one, likely to be in the late 2020s if the next government goes anywhere near full term. If that government is seen to be making seious headway on the housing issue, and the numbers coming in are well down on what they have been for the last couple of years, then IMO it's likely this 'window of opportunity' for the right will have closed by GE 2028/9...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

We have one of the highest per capita debt burdens in the world. A recession anytime soon would make us go the way of Argentina. We don't need that.

• Advertisement

Didn't a survey earlier this year confirm that 30% were keen to remain here

If only a third of them decided to stay I'd say the government would be laughing. After all a fair chunk of them are already inegrated into the economy

I'd say if even a third of them went back, that would be enough to take the political heat out of this specific issue...

What makes you think immigration into Ireland will be any less important?

I'm not saying it's not important, I'm questioning whether there will be a breakthrough for the right on the back of it, as so many on this thread are anticipating. After all there's been no sign of this breakthrough with 25+ years of (fairly) large-scale immigration already. I think the upcoming series of election constitute an "If not not now, when?" moment for the anti-immigration right in Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,472 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I don't get the impression that immigration or refugees are a burning issue for people in Ireland. Things like health, housing and the cost of living crisis are surely more to the forefront. People are sophisticated and intelligent enough to realise that immigration largely hasn't caused inflation or increased hospital waiting lists or housing shortages.

Having said that, it still would be very interesting to see just how well an openly right wing party would do at the next election and to see just where support for such a party would be coming from (i.e. age, social class, education, rural vs urban, male vs female etc etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

We do have right wing parties though. It's just they are right wing socially with religious, anti abortion and anti lgbt policies that don't appeal to most people in ireland nowadays.

Hang on. Let's all recall the Irish famine. How many refugees did we send abroad - a million?

Between 1922 - 80 half the children in the state left. They were de facto refugee s

So it's ok to export Irish but we can't import people??

Im not saying the whole refugee service doesn't need an overall but let's get some perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Imports? They are humans not products.

We want the right sort of people coming here not the absolute riff raff that's ending up here in droves at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Consonata

As of September, there are about a million Ukrainians there now. The sky hasn't fallen in apparently.

Riff raff?.

What do you think the million refugees we sent were? Highly skilled??

They were peasant farmers

Anybody with a cursory knowledge of history knows that the Russians must be contained

However Ukraine is a big big country and one wonders if some are not using it as an excuse to just get out.

In other words a lot of Ukraine is stíl safe

It is incredible that Irish people can't afford to go to the doctor but refugees get a medical card?

What I'm trying to get at is that you should be able to critically ask questions without being seen as totally against refugees

• Advertisement

Advertisement