Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2023 RWC Buildup, Squads, Fixtures 'etc'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,916 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yeah I've seen this happen a number of times recently where the ball carrier is reckless but the defensive player gets penalised and most often carded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Needs to be looked at. The player was trying to get his head out of the way.

Both should have responsibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,710 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Good win for Uruguay , although Namibia along with Romania really not good eneogh , dont think think ther particiaption has added much , will not help rugby in ther country, shipping so many points and constant defeats.

Uruguay have the best jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,752 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Namibia were the worst team so far. Had a massive chance to redeem themselves but blew it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Unfortunately you'd have to imagine that's how Africa 1 will be for the near future; can't say I've heard any concrete attempts to grow or professionalise the game more. but you'd have to imagine that any attempt to merge their qualification into, say, the final repechage would be met with hostility. So on it'll go, Namibia qualifying at a canter then getting hockeyed.

Romania was an odd duck given they only qualified automatically this time cos of Spain's habitual registration F ups; had they gone into the repechage instead of Portugal, who knows how that might have gone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

In contrast of course, Portugal would have been nowhere and they have been decent enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,710 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

The game was supposedly growing in Morocco , personally I'm in favour of a 16 team tournment , until the quality worldwide grows - I'm old enogh to remember Ivory Coast qualifying , getting hammered and a player getting a serious injury - thats not good for growth of game, and dangerous - its not like soccer where you can have inequal teams participate, really of no benefit adding teams, regardless of quality - having said that have enjoyed Portugal, Chile and Uruguay.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The only chance of any change there is Algeria continuing to grow. They'll be mostly French-born players from the lower divisions but if interest picks up they could become a challenger.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Chicken and egg scenario though: how can we know these teams are better without facing the top Tiers? And if that is only allowed at World Cups, it further narrows the opportunities to improve. Unless outside the 4 years cycle Tier 2 Europe or S America gets to test itself, they'll never be seen as "good enough". Plus 2023 has happened off the back of a pandemic that had a demonstrable effect on lesser team's experience and cohesion, you could see that in some teams more than others imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Playing tier 1 teams every 4 years at the world cup just isn't enough though. I'm skeptical it provides a massive benefit beyond the cash injection that they get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,850 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

A B World Cup the year before the Tier 1 compeition

Top 4 teams or something qualify

Canada and the US regularly get to test themselves against the top tier and it hasn't helped them.

They haven't helped themselves. Only so much you can do with woefully inept unions.

At least they are trying hard to improve things. Major league Rugby is a big step forward. That's not the invention of inept unions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Are the problems with the world cup minnows not the very same in many other competitions?

The Champions league group stages are mostly completely uncompetitive and lob-sided matches.

The Football all ireland isn't even competitive until the semi finals and often only the final is close.

There are plenty of other sports where the levels are vastly different.

Personally i enjoyed Namibia vs Uruguay last night and im looking forward to the clash of style that will be Japan and Samoa tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭ersatz

Football is not fighting for its life though. In many places rugby is and the lack of growth means that new regions are not coming onboard. Australia is a good example but participation rates are flat in the uk and several other regions. There’s an existential issue with the game due to intense competition from other games and from the concussion stuff. Even in NZ youth participation fell significantly in the last decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Jacovs

I didnt watch the Uruguay-Namibia game, but just going by the score, and a few comments on here, Namibia had a real shot at winning this, if not for their poor discipline.

Uruguay had upped their game but Namibia were still in it, and **** the bed discipline wise. Dunno if they would have won but they had a shot.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,799 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I also think fitness was an issue. Uruguay like to go coast to coast and it certainly took it out of that legs of those big tight fives. Plus on top of that, that was Namibia's 4th game in 19 days which is very draining.

• Advertisement

Lots of Irish national and provincial rugby games from old vcr and elsewhere I've collated on a YouTube channel. I've a lot more rugby to add. The channel has all sorts of miscellany. I'll link here, maybe it's the wrong place, maybe I shouldn't be doing at all. Thought people might be interested.

Fair point.I think we can agree that the US and Canada are very distinct outliers here though? They've only introduced pro rugby in the last 4, 5 years is it? While you can't discount or underestimate the enormous dominance of those 3 major American sports. Hosting the World Cup might, like the soccer equivalent back in 1994, kick off a more aggressive phase of development but even kickball has had small, iterative gains in those 30 years. Interestingly, it's the women's game that has rocketed into global dominance, not the men's.

Sure soccer is the prime sport in all those ascendent countries but I daresay Uruguay has far more runway for an upward trajectory than America - even though there's a huge disparity between each country's population and GDP. On paper the US should dominate all sports really - yet it's funny how they, China and India are these giant No Man's Land for soccer. Maybe the fact you don't get failed US football players arriving in your squads helps for more refined rugby player development in Uruguay, Portugal etc. I dunno.

FWIW, America does have a team, the American Raptors, competing in the South American Super League so alongside the Major League maybe that'll help the US improve by 2031, 'cos it'll be a huge embarrassment if they fail to qualify again for 2027. While most of the Uruguayan squad play for the country's SL team, Peñarol. Ditto Chile and their squad mostly made of players for Selknam. Ala Fiji with their own "league team but it's basically a feeder for the national one", it'll hopefully help consolidate improvement.

And maybe those structures or Ireland's provincial approach is adopted in other European countries and we'll see teams get better again. Some here lament the stagnation in England and Australia, but I see possibility for growth if its cultivated. I see Portugal's squad seems more of a mix of origins, many in the D2.

It probably also helps these minnows have been very entertaining to watch. I don't think the same enthusiasm might exist had all these new faces been playing like Georgia, no harm to them.

It's the benchmark though in terms of "is this country's Rugby good enough to play at a higher level?"; no more than the national team being the top of the pyramid here in the Ireland, or fadó when Argentina started making inroads into World Rugby, it was at the World Cup that you could put a marker down. Lately for Georgia it has been the Autumn Internationals of course, but as Tier 2 doesn't have any look into that window, they have to focus on the World Cup as the final exam for improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Interesting selection, with some players getting some much needed rest, with another 2 weeks rest after this game too.

10 players who played against Ireland are not playing this week at all. (Bongi, Malherbe, PSdT, Faf, Kolbe, de Allende, Arendse, Willemse, Kleyn and Snyman).

3 of the starting 15 kept their place (Etzebeth, Kolisi and Wiese), and 3 kept their place on the bench (Trevor, Marco and Kwagga).

Fourie starting at hooker and Vermeulen at 7, nothing too mad.

I wouldnt call this a B team, maybe an A-. More than capable to deal with any team up to and including the likes of current Australia/Argentina/maybe England.

"Interestingly, it's the women's game that has rocketed into global dominance, not the men's."

I don't think there's a women's NFL or MLB or NHL to compete with so there's a huge market to share with just the WNBA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Rugby isn't well marketed over here. With the Eagles sitting at home, the potential growth will be from the mlr.

Have to say I'm looking forward to Japan v Samoa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Thanks for that. Haven't thought of Fabian Pelous in over a decade. He showed up on screen at Ireland v South Africa and now I have the video of him kicking Quinlan in the hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭ersatz

Big match for Italy tomorrow. NZ will come into it with an axe hanging over them and will intend to obliterate Italy. Could be another game of the tournament if Italy can hold off the early tide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Really hoping that Italy can run NZ and France close. Be great to see them building and becoming a viable contender

• Advertisement

You're welcome! I've a good bit more rugby to upload, National, Lions, Provincial and documentaries.

Advertisement