Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where did you go school in Waterford?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Do any former DLS’s recall the member of staff there in the 80’s who after PE classes ‘strongly encouraged’ that you showered completely free of any items of clothing…and carried out ‘inspections’ / viewings to check…?

https://endaodoherty.ie/ is this the guy a lot of you are referring to.............?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Yep thats the pr!ck. Once a bully always a bully in my experience.

Never knew that the washing ‘machine guy’ was an ex teacher. Based on The clips of him on tv you would be convinced he was a pure ‘gent’…..maybe he ‘turned a corner’ after leaving his teaching vocation…..let’s hope he’s not reading this thread…😡

I doubt he turned a corner. He was known for picking on and bullying certain lads and he would do it all year long, shouting and screaming in their faces, real little coward of a man, surprised some of the parents didnt go in and sort him out. You wouldnt get away with that nowadays. I hope he is reading it, and he can see exactly what people think of him.

• Advertisement

His web site has a link for ‘booking for events’….maybe you should invite him to speak at your 25/30th anniversary of ‘your class of xxxx’ night out and you could then ambush him and make it a night he will never forget…🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

He's giving off some serious David Brent vibes on that website.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭91wx763

Brother Patrick aka "Paddy Track". Used to spin his whistle on its string to make boys run in the passageway between the showers and the dressing rooms at PE in the hope they'd drop their towels. Apparently died from chopping his leg off while using a chainsaw, I hope the chain was as rusty as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

yep. And I just received an email from my employer to say he's giving a talk to the company on Managing Stress via the VHI service...unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,415 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

yea id say that game is full of folks that are highly narcissistic, disturbing stuff really

• Advertisement

The whole mental health/wellness industry is a completely unregulated one where anybody can claim to be a life coach/counseller etc and all you need is a copy and paste from some chancer like Eckhart Tolle and present that to a bunch of naive people willing to believe easy answers.

I didnt know O Doherty had left the school, id say they just had too many complaints about his bullying. I remember he used to scare the lads by screaming suddenly in their face to stop talking/being late etc. He was some coward, picking on lads half his age.

He was notorious for his nasty behavior in DLS...hence why I have never read or heard a good word said about him.

fcuking hell, how do these arseholes just get away with it, then theyre openly encouraged!

Would you have the balls mown to have a go at him’ if ya bumped into him……not necessarily physical just verbal/throw a few ‘fcuks’ into him tell him what you thought/still think of Him..?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,379 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Remember had a religion teacher in DLS who you had to stand up once she entered the classroom and when youre named was called on the roll call you had too reply a certain way. If you siad anything else you would get a talking too by her. A right witch

Br Damien was some legend and was always fair

its a fair point, but i have a very strong sense of justice in such situations, such behavior can and does have a profound negative effect on victims, it can play a part in very serious detrimental outcomes, from long term unemployment, long term trauma, and subsequent dysfunctions. we as a society should not allow this kind of behavior to persist, its common within our educational system, employment etc etc, and leads to serious negative effects, by not addressing it, we are in effect enabling it, almost celebrating it. the person in question clearly has or had some serious emotional problems, and clearly should never had been allowed near children, yes its more difficult for such behaviors within our educational system now, but theres clearly some serious arseholes still there!

well I have an opportunity to ask him a few questions later today (via Zoom) but I will keep my mouth shut. Anyway, this lad is a grade A spoofer so he should have some self-pity sob story to justify/excuse his behaviour. Remember, with these lads, it's all about them.

absolutely, he comes across as being highly narcissistic, so it truly is all about him, but its really fcuked up that companies lap up this sh1t, and actually enable it!

yes, well corporate society seem to be hoodwinked a bit about this whole over-correction in what used to be a taboo subject: mental health. It's VHI who are carrying this particular event. I'm all for building endurance and learning to pick yourself up and go again. It's admirable to admit mistakes and get back on the horse. And it's that sort of thing that companies like, that's fine. But what is not fine is to act like a prick to many people in the past and not acknowledge it nor attempt to make amends for it. Instead, this lad cynically uses his problems as a way to cash in...If he really cared about mental health he would be volunteering his time to help others without issuing an invoice.

• Advertisement

..the corporate sector is a perfect environment to harbor, protect and encourage such behavior, tis rotten out, been there done that!

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭sliabh 1956

I attended DLS briefly in 71 but as we were staying out in Faithlegg we were a protected species . My time there didn't end well was asked to leave which in hindsight was the best thing that ever happened to me. Went to a mixed day school where i originally came from where i had the time of my life . Great teachers and lovely girls but I allways say if you are talented in sports or the Arts school can be amazing . But if not it can be an awful place which i witnessed first hand.

Not so sure I get what point you are making by saying you have a ‘very strong sense of justice’…I witnessed teachers being absolute pr1cks to others in classes but never myself was the butt of their warped personalities/frustrations/anger therefore not quite so easy to challenge them now as an adult when I come across them in public but I’d like to think if I was one of their victims I’d have the courage to ‘call them out’ at least verbally and remind them what ‘w@nkers’ they were

unfortunately such behavior can have serious long lasting negative effects on some, leading to all sorts of highly complex social and psychological problems, at that age, people tend to be extremely vulnerable to such treatment, it can lead to life long self esteem issues, so standing up to such perpetrators effectively becomes impossible. you d have to wonder what goes through the minds of people who have been on the receiving end of such behavior, and then sees their perpetrator seemly motoring on in life, and being effectively rewarded for their behavior! this is where we come up, we sometimes must or should at least, stand up for them, they need to be called out on it...

In the working world most places have SIPTU and the likes who would protect a worker getting verbally berated by an individual

School you're not allowed speak up for yourself in fear of getting in huge trouble

thats actually not exactly true, union membership has been falling in most advanced counties for decades now, as is the case here to, but not as much as other countries, ive witnessed and experienced bulling in the workplace, including in unionised places, you d be surprised how bad it can be, ive heard this from many others, in both the public and private sectors

If i saw him again out and about and he recognized me id definitely tell him how horrible he was to myself and other students back in the day. Im big and ugly enough now to know that most bullies are cowards at the back of it all and they wouldnt dare confront or torment someone who could see through them. Thats why he picked on lads half his age.

Never had him in DLS

Not condoning any of his actions posted here but maybe through his recovery he has confronted his past issues ie anger and feels ashamed of it

Been a teacher means he would my thought a load of students and can easily sweep under the carpet to an extend

As I siad I don't know him or had any contact with him in DLS

The leopard rarely changes it spots unfortunately……😡 you can bet he still thinks his ‘sh1t doesn’t stink’ and has conviemtly forgotten all his past behaviours to students or in a warped way feels he was ‘driven to it’ by the behaviour of the students……Ive heard loads of people local lauding the ‘guy B carrying the washing machine for charity’ i once referred to him unknowingly as the ‘nutter with the washing machine on his back’ and was rapidly corrected by someone stating that he was a super guy as he was doing it for such a good cause……from reading this thread I think ‘nutter’ was being kind to this ‘fiend’

• Advertisement

In my experience people very rarely change. I went to school in DLS with a couple of right absolute prize **** in my Leaving Cert years and I saw a couple of them over the years. One of them is now a principal of a secondary school and I nearly fell over when I saw him on LinkedIn saying he was responsible for safeguarding dozens of teenagers. He was a horrible bully at 17, used to really strut around saying horrible comments to the lads to prove how "tough" he was, a real nasty guy and here he is now as a principal, I wouldnt have any of my kids near him. A few other lads Ive seen here and there over the years and they seem just as big mouthpieces as they were as teenagers, depressing to see. I know some people do change as life humbles them but there are plenty of people who are just as much cnuts in their 30s or 40s as they were at 16/17. Marriage, kids, travel etc didnt change them a jot and their character remains.

Thats how I feel about O Doherty too. Look at the subject matter- wellness and mental health, Unregulated where every chancer with a fast tongue and a single read of 'The Power of Now' is suddenly an expert in how to make your life fantastic and will offer a heap of easy answers for an exorbitant fee. Laughably simplistic but a staggering number of people will hand over money and fall for it. Im actually surprised he didnt get a few digs from parents over the years, you dont pick on that many lads without meeting the wrong mother/father one day.

Advertisement