Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ro_p_ro1986

Does anyone know how the pacers handle the splits?

Do they just try keep it as even as possible throughout, despite elevation/difficulty varying in different parts of the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,614 ✭✭✭Trampas

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭S'

Entry available if anyone interested. Unable to run due to injury. PM me

11.2kWp E/W split arra. Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Hi folks,

first time doing the marathon this year, just wondering in terms of logistics for the wife and two young kids, is it difficult enough to get a spot at the finish line? Or would they be better off maybe 1km before the finish?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Junction of Haddington Rd and Northumberland Rd is best for getting back towards Baggot st meet up area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭event

I don't think you'll pick them out at the finish tbh, it's just so loud.

I'd tell family to be outside the RDS. They can see you coming and roar at you, you'll see them and get a boost for the run in.

I think it's about 2k from the finish, not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭py

Agree with this. RDS all the way down until just past the US embassy is a good spot to meet them during the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Much appreciated folks, will go with that.

is it difficult to get back to the RDS after I’ve finished then (provided I’ve finished ha ha)

obviously no phone so need to arrange a meet point

Nah should be easy enough. Are you doing the bag drop? Leave your phone in that if so

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

I always aim to finish before Toner's open so that I can squat the snug while my family feed me crips and beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭JimmyChew

Correct, even as possible but, there will be time banked in anticipation of a big effort or tricky drag/hill up ahead. Coming to that big hill up around mile 22 for instance you might find the group is maybe 2/3 minutes banked up on average pace and the 3:45 group for example who should be pacing @8:34 min/mile will be pacing at best 9 min/mile.

Pacers will always build in 30 seconds and like to cross the line themselves for instance @3:44:30 but outside of that 30 seconds there will b minor adjustments that the group will likely not even pick up on through out the course.

In terms of first half, second half split it'll be pretty even although with a good push in the last mile and people emptying the tank it should be a negative split.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

HI all, looking for hotel to stay in Dublin however prices in city center are crazy expensive.

Found Clayton in Liffey Valley. Looking to stay for 2 nights as wife and son going with me + they have pool.

It's quite far from city center so would it be doable to get to the start in the morning in time by bus/luas? I never stayed in Dublin so no idea what to expect from buses etc.

Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Yep, there a loads of buses going past the hotel (on N4) to get you into town. Ive checked and they are running at that time on a sunday too (as i'm coming from that direction). It'll be an easy commute

• Registered Users Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

That's where we usually stay when himself is doing the marathon. Plenty of marathon runners stay there. I'd advise booking a taxi with reception the day before for race morning. On the morning a few others will want to hop into the taxi with you and split the bill - bit of company for you at least. When you are checking in make sure to tell them you are doing the marathon and ask them can they have some breakfast facilities available early. I think they had some cereal, milk etc left out that morning for people, and if enough people ask etc they'll do it.

Use the pool and facilities yourself after to recover the body.

Myself and kiddo went in to spectate - we drove in and parked in Heuston station and watched from Phoenix Park near the zoo and across then to Kilmainham Gaol. Luas then into town, it was packed out so perhaps hop in a taxi instead, and wander down Baggot St to around the 26 mile marker for the finish. After the race when himself was done we either got the Luas or taxi back to Heuston for the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Another option is the Clayton Leopardstown. 20 ish minutes on the Luas to Stephens Green.

Seems the **** is about to hit the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Tommy Max

The organisers say it is prohibited to run under another name yet they are totally inflexible to a name change. People are going to run under another name. hundreds have been doing it every year. ud be very unlucky for it to be spotted. boys running under women's registration and vice versa has gone unnoticed or should I say unpunished for years.

2 issues. People registering a year out because they get caught up in the hype and reality is they won't do it.

and organisers ignorance to a simple name transfer system.

I'd agree with that. Given the adoption of a proper registration facility in eventmaster there should be a flexibility in place up to the week of the race.

The only cost I can see is replacing chips & postage for events where they are sent out early(half marathon), people could pay this fee easily where needed via eventmaster transfer process to ensure no glut of admin work on race morning.

For expo registration events like DCM there is no chip waste as it's all done 48hrs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Sure she could just run with someone else's number. There's loads of them available 😁😁😁😁😁

• Advertisement

Is that genuine, I cant really see someone revealing their name, a photo and a message like that to the public.

Is it maybe a scare tactic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Doesn't look real

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Rossi7

You only need to go onto that group Facebook page to realize what you are dealing with.

It's like Moore Street the amount of haggling going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Yes the Dublin Marathon organisers are quite within their rights to cancel a race entry for any race under their control if that person has been found to have sold their number in another race.

From the Dublin Marathon rules & regulations...............The sale, swapping or bartering of Marathon Race Entries or Marathon Race Numbers is strictly forbidden.

If you attempt to sell, swap or barter your Marathon Race Entries or Marathon race number, you may be banned from future Dublin Marathon and/or Race Series events

• Registered Users Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

This is why the organisers need to extend the transfer window a lot more, to at least end Sept/or to 2nd week Oct.

There's hardly that much admin involved, is there? I did a race entry transfer for Trim 10 miler earlier this year, about a week or so before the race - it was fairly straightforward to do from both ends (transferor and tranferee). The only thing was the tshirt was in the size I ordered but that's not a big deal, the person was made aware of it.

Surely the checking on entries for the Half Marathon last weekend is an awful lot of work - analysing results, trawling through photos to match bib numbers to profile of the entrant.

I must say in that Facebook group there's a lot of trading of race entries for both the half and full. I've been tempted to leave the group cos it's annoying. I'd imagine the race organisers are well aware that's there been a lot of swapping - they probably feel there could be a risk where someone has a mishap or becomes unwell while wearing someone else's bib number and not filled out their own ICE details - that would be quite a serious issue and puts the participant at medical risk. Not to sound so dramatic but people have died while taking part in the marathon, imagine if someone took a turn, weren't the person on the bib and had no ICE details supplied.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,420 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

It happened last year. One guy was wearing his sisters number as she hadn't trained for DCM and he collapsed.

The transfer should be available until September 30th

Anyone not having ICE details on their bib is an idiot tbf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 johnmcmc

Hi S, I'm on the look out for an entry. Is this still available?

Advertisement