Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The emergence of "Zombie" by The Cranberries as an Irish sporting anthem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭goodlad_ourvlad

I'm shocked and appalled that I sung along to The Cranberries and now I hate SF

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

You're grand, I certainly get that most rugby fans are decent and were just having a singalong.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭goodlad_ourvlad

I've even stopped calling it "The Emergency" and said World War 2 a couple of times... I even had a craving for Yorkshire tea instead of Lyons ... lads I need a tricolour, quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭mikethecop

how do you feel about the many murders rapists and assorted other criminals associated with sf

the ongoing criminality the dodgy dealings bot farms connections with narco terrorists ,

the outright blatant lies told even here about historical facts , there are posters here who are claiming to have "won" the troubles and that sfira fought a clean war, which consisted mostly of shooting unarmed civilians and children (proxy) bombing and sniping at soldiers if it wasn't too dangerous for themselves

are they people you can trust ?

I know a few decent grassroots shinners who left when they realized what the party really was or do you think the army council really have your best interests in mind ??

Like I said, I'm willing to accept their commitment to the peace process.

But tell me this...

If they really are such a terrible bunch of devious criminal bogeymen, why are our current government so lax about handing them the keys of power?

Why do they keep burying their heads in the sand, and just giving us spin after spin, around housing in particular?

• Advertisement

you would be happy with sf members in government who killed children tortured innocent men and women to death to cover their own touting ? people who are still involved n smuggling and gangland crime ?

like many shinner posters you are trying to conflate disgust for sfira with love trust or even tolerance for the current government. its a well established pattern. for the record if you lie , i think leo is the worsts possible kind of populist and is much more interested in his own personal progress than the nations.

handing the keys of power as you say to a organized crime gang isn't going to improve housing , priory hall anyone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭standardg60

Rugby fans who sing the song knowing they're calling out child murderers are not decent?

What sf candidate killed children? Sorry, you sound a bit deranged with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Did a bit of googling and found that the BBC had a list of 67 songs they "banned". I think the US did have more. Basically it seems it was any song that had lyrics or titles that might remind listeners that the UK was getting involved in a BS war in Iraq. It had nothing to do with Northern Ireland or the Troubles.

I thought it was just a singalong?

Is a rugby match really the place for that?

And wouldn't it depend who they're calling out for child murder? I've heard all sorts, but has this turned into some kind of a broader anti-child murder campaign now?

Would ye give it a rest.

Sing the song for a singalong if you like. But if your there to make some sort of political point I'd prefer if you just stayed at home.

I don't think anyone wants that nonsense, and I'm not trying to censor you or cancel you.

One group at a match co-opting songs to have a go at sf, another crowd having a go at FFG (Fields of Athenry might work here?), nobody wants that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Republican paramilitaries killed twice as many as loyalist paramilitaries did. I condemn both, as do most decent people. The security forces caught and jailed large numbers from both sides. Even during the troubles in N.I. most Catholics there did not support S.F. Here south of the border SF only got 1 or 2% of the vote.

In your head, in your head.

Jesus wept !! thats your take away from wanting to put a crime gang in power ?

how many terrorists were never convicted for their crimes. how many got out of jail under GFA ? how many are now sf party members.

do you know ? no because no one knows and the party isnt going to tell you , tip of the iceberg of what you will never be told about sf

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

You have no idea what support Sinn Fein had back then. They didn't take their seats in either the Dail or Westminister (so not much point voting for them). They had good representation on councils in NI (represented on 19 of 26 councils in 1985). Lets not forget that Sinn Fein representatives were banned from speaking by both British and Irish Govenment. We didn't know what Gerry Adams sounded like until 1993. And lets not forget that the British Embassy was burnt down in Dublin by mainly Fianna Fail/Fine Gael voters.

By the way, you can lump the British Army/RUC and loyalist paramilitaries together. Did you know that the first child killed in the Troubles was by the British Army.

You've been trying to censor or cancel, under various different guises, the song since you came into the thread. It was and is your sole agenda, you're not interested in any debate on the matter, you just want the song banned.

I have no doubt you saw the tweets on page one, how did you magically get to page 5 without seeing them, agreed with them but decided to masquerade as a concerned citizen worried about offending someone.

Now that the mask has slipped you've moved to full on SF party political broadcast mode, in order to try and mitigate the damage, whereas I imagine SF just want this to go away, as they can neither support the song nor condemn it.

You're going to awful speculative lengths now to justify you're right to call out child murderers. At a rugby match.

Nobody wants that nonsense in sport.

In so much as sport is always political, fans only want those to be the politics of inclusion.

I'm quite sure not a single soul at that game was trying to do anything to justify Warrington or support child murder, so why would you bring that issue into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the colonies only achieved independance through some violence, and the fact britain was no longer able to afford the empire as it was bankrupt after the war.

the US diaspora would not have been able to simply shame britain into implementing equal rights in northern ireland, the fact britain shot civil rights protesters off the streets on bloody sunday proved that britain was never going to implement any rights for the nationalist community without violence.

the PIRA was a necessity, that's just the reality.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

the constitution act of 1973 wasn't a legal act as it was based on gerrymandering.

so therefore only the 1998 good friday agreement matters in terms of that position.

there as nothing for SF to except as any act pre-the ending of the sectarian state had no basis.

the amount of people who will vote for sinn fein and who plan to vote for sinn fein says otherwise.

most people don't care about sinn fein's legacy seeing as ffg have the same legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Any suggestions here for a song that nobody will get butt-hurt about?

Maybe "The Boys are back In Town"? The intro is great/immediately recognisable, but it takes over 20 seconds to get to the opening lyrics and a bit more to get to the chorus.

The people singing along after the match weren't trying to make any political statement. "Whataboutery" seems the order of the day in some quarters.

Nominate another song, if you find " ZOMBIE" offensive.

Nominate another song ,if you find "ZOMBIE" not offensive, but feel that there might be even better choices for the after match celebrations/sing-a-longs!

Personally, I enjoyed listening to the crowd belting out "ZOMBIE" after a nerve wracking contest that came down to the final seconds.

Still, as I asked at the start of this post, what song would you prefer, if it was up to you?

• The relevant text from the 1973 act. What's it got to do with gerrymandering??

"and it is hereby affirmed that in no event will Northern Ireland or any part of it cease to be part of Her Majesty's dominions and of the United Kingdom without the consent of the majority of the people of Northern Ireland voting in a poll held for the purposes of this section in accordance with Schedule 1 to this Act."

It's clear the principle of consent by the people is established.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

How was the constitution act of 1973 based on gerrymandering and therefore not legal?

You make the freemen of the land lot seem rational.

Sorry what is this issue that YOU are introducing that you're accusing me of introducing that I didn't mention?

Be very careful about trying to put words in my mouth.

Between that Act and Sunningdale, everything that was achieved in the GFA was there by the mid-1970s.

There is a question about whether the PIRA campaign was justified up until then (and I don't think it was, but prepared to have that discussion), but there is no justification for anything that the PIRA did after that Act, Sunningdale and the comprehensive referendum.

I pick Dreams because I think it works better as a sporting song.

Also I don't think anyone will be offended by it or be trying to turn it into anything else.

What is wrong with people singing a song to call out child-murderers?

In what world is that a problem?

Even if there were only a handful of people singing the song for that reason, who, other than a child-murderer, has a right to be offended?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

And is deluded if thinking that SF will deliver on any of that any more than FFG....

It seems you're adamant about wanting to sing a song about a 30 year old murder at a rugby match.

Sing it because it's a great song if you like.

But otherwise I think you should take it elsewhere.

Dessie Ellis?

He was certainly convicted of bomb-making and did time for it. Did any of his bombs kill children?

Moving away from that failed neoliberal, privatize everything approach would be a step in the right direction.

But I think it'll take us a long time to get back on track.

• Advertisement

Think I'll bookmark this post. If you are genuine, you will be back here within 18 months of SF taking power, complaining about how you were betrayed.

Advertisement