Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The emergence of "Zombie" by The Cranberries as an Irish sporting anthem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Why would you want to do it at a rugby match?

If you're singing it as a singalong, fine.

I'm not offended by the song, I just don't want these politics brought into sport.

I just can't see your choosing to commemorate these murders, out of all the murders in the world in the last 30 years, at a rugby match, as anything other than a political message.

You're attempts to politicize this are very transparent.

I don't agree with political violence.

But if he's committed to the peace process and I believe in his policies he gets my vote.

In my lifetime Charlie Haughey running guns for the IRA was a thing. Should I not vote for Fianna Fail either?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I don't think Dreams works as well as an anthem. A crowd could definitely sing along to it alright, but Zombie is much more anthemic in a 'rock stadium anthem' type of way and with that thumping percussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Fair enough.

It's a great song in its own right, but for me it doesn't have the "punch/riff" that suits a sports crowd after a victory. The baseline/iconic intro to "ZOMBIE" grabbed the crowd , and had them singing along. "DREAMS" ,I.M.O. would seem a bit more subdued/flat , to a crowd celebrating a victory.

The context of the song /lyrics...seem to be secondary in such circumstances. The tempo/beat works.

• Advertisement

• Yes, that would be an interesting debate, but probably for another thread though. How and why the prorogation of Stormont occurred might be an interesting starting point. Was it due to the IRA's campaign or were the Unionist government to blame for it in the eyes of Westminster due to their (hamfisted?) role in security policy? A role they subsequently lost causing the Stormont government to quit in protest. Dunno if there's any relevant British cabinet minutes available to read. Could be embargoed under the 30 year (100 year even?) rule etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I've heard football fans sing Depeche Mode's 'Just Can't Get Enough' but for me, that doesn't work at all as a sports anthem - too fast a tempo and way too many words.

Zombie works well because of its simplicity and thumping anthemic beat (a bit like Queen's 'We Will Rock You').

How about this, it would be a cracker at a match. I'm actually surprised no-else uses it that I know of.

Kevin Rowland's all about his Irish heritage too. Family from Mayo and spent a few years there as a kid.

C'mon Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Since when is singing against child-murderers bringing politics into sport?

This is a really simple thing, the only people who could conceivably be offended by the singing of this song are child-murderers and those who support them. If they are offended, I don't think any ordinary person gives a f...

You are correct, it is an interesting debate, and I can see arguments about it, civil disobedience escalating into low-level violence etc. The problem is, that after the referendum, the Act and Sunningdale, there is no reason to support the PIRA. They didn't achieve anything, they only made things far far worse.

• Advertisement

Well, I never voted for a CJH led FF for that reason.

How about you give that shite a rest?

What you're trying to do is very transparent. Nobody wants these politics shoehorned into sport.

Sing it as a singalong or take your agenda elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

I expect Sinn Fein will turn out to be a huge disappointment if/when they do get into government and be unable to fulfill their election promises in any meaningful way. I am pre-disillusioned lol.

Nonetheless you can expect campaigning of the "This terrorist/murder gang will destroy us all!!" right up until the day of the election, instead of addressing the issues that has people wanting a centre-left alternative to FF/FG.

There was some Irish Times writer who wanted to start referring to rugby fans as 'Zombies' from now on. That is cringe. The playing and singing of a pop song is not some major political event.

Its also unfair to rugby fans to make them shoulder carrying an anti-SF political agenda on the unstated assumption that they are all posh people with a liberal anti-Irish Republican viewpoint. Some rugby fans may be apolitical or they may intend to vote for SF themselves(!) - has anyone even considered that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Zombie is not politics, it is just anti-violence. The bombing of children was not in our name.

Politics was always part of sport, remember the boycotting of the Moscow Olympics in about 1980? The fuss about South Africa? Irish fans using using the tricolour and singing the soldiers song at matches in Dublin, even though some of the players were born in and reside in and always paid their taxes in another jurisdiction.

I actually like that song (just can't get enough) as an easy sing-a- long, catchy crowd pleaser ( easy to put one's own lyrics to). I also liked "ZOMBIE" being belted out/crowd reaction after last weekends match too.

There is an awful lot of subjectivity involved ,with music.

For me the tune of "Just Can't Get Enough" is upbeat and workable for any crowd. I think Celtic have manged to get ownership of that. "Penny Arcade" , Rangers have got hold of that one, another banging tune, and "Norn Ireland" managed to bag "SWEET CAROLINE" ( was feckin' envious of that, another banger of a tune), but I think England-the sporting world have hijacked that.

I wouldn't mind if "Sweet Caroline" was played after an Irish rugby victory.

I am still stunned that people are claiming to be offended by this song.

Next thing you'll tell me that we shouldn't be singing the Spandau Ballet song because some people believe Catholics shouldn't marry Protestants and they might be offended.

What about "The Island". It is as anti-war as Zombie. Should that also be banned?

I keep telling you I'm not offended by the song, I like it.

I'm not trying to censor it in anyway.

If people want to sing it as a singalong at a match, great.

It's these lame attempts to bring a political agenda into sport that nobody wants.

"Come On England", I think, was a hit for the 2010 world cup. Considering the fiddle/ banjo / Celtic resonance of it all- it may be a tune we missed playing around with. Definitely a crowd pleaser of a tune!

Yawn. Nobodies buying this b***x.

What are you suggesting? We turn the rugby world cup into a campaign to inform about the troubles?

Quite frankly you can shove it.

Whatever you do, do not go to Youtube to check out 'Come on England'.

It's horrendous.

They've tried to make it dancey and big beat.

I think we should keep it as it is, maybe the fans could sing Ireland instead of Eileen, but otherwise keep the song as it is.

If it's not picked up by the rugby fans, Mayo should keep it in their pocket, what with the Kevin Rowland connection.

• Advertisement

• They'll find (if they get into government) how limited their room for maneuver actually is if they intend to stray far from the road that is economic orthodoxy. An attempted repeat of "Labour's Way or Frankfurt's Way" won't last long if the yields on Irish government bonds head into orbit as a consequence. Just ask Liz Truss.......

Hard to belief the government really see Sinn Fein as an existentialist threat to the state....

When they put Eoghan Murphy (remember him) and Darragh O'Brien in charge of housing.

It's been obvious for a long time that's the biggest swing factor for voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭standardg60

Well i wasn't expecting that anyway, we're sorted so, no one objects to the song. Thanks for admitting that btw.

As for politicising it, the only people you can blame for that are Hickey and his ilk, there wouldn't have been any semblance of controversy otherwise. And like Celtic Symphony, i doubt it's going to make a blind bit of difference who people vote for anyway.

Pretty sure some people object to the song.

Why don't you deal with that, of itself, or just ignore it, instead of trying so tiresomely to bring your own agenda?

Would it be so awful to just say, 'I don't think it's partitionist' and that be it?

I mean, if you're only out for a singalong anyway, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Calculus

Anyone objecting to the song doesn’t have a clue what the purpose of the song is.

Also, anyone singing it at the end of a match aren’t doing so with any political motive behind it.

The SDLP were significantly more popular than Sinn Fein around the time of this song’s release. For anyone to claim this song is ‘partitionist’ is only assuming that nationalists would be offended and don’t actually realise that the Warrington bomb was absolutely not carried out in the name of Northern Irish nationalism.

You don't object to the song so you must think it isn't partitionist. I haven't seen anyone else object to the song other than a few fringe Twitter accounts. It looks more and more that my original call that the only people who could be offended by it are child murderers and those who support them.

Unless of course, you can point to some outraged group, maybe the Child Murderers Support Group or some suchlike.

I've no idea what you or @Calculus are on about, other than it's yet another tiresome attempt to bring your own agenda to the sport.

Tell you what, if it's only a few fringe Twitter accounts objecting to this song, why don't you jog on over there and take it up with them?

No one wants the rugby world cup turning into a history lecture on the troubles, from one side or the other.

Hopefully it's not too late to avoid that, but you lot really need to stfu if that's to happen.

Sorry if that's trying to 'censor' you!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Calculus

Who wants to bring an agenda into anything?

Its a group of sports fans singing a song at the top of their lungs because it’s a good song and they know all the words.

Anyone trying to make it out to be anything more than that need to give their heads a wobble.

What are you telling me for?

You're the one on about the popularity of the SDLP at the time of the songs release???

Like I said, no one wants a history lesson on the troubles, if they're only out for a singalong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭standardg60

Jeez i was trying to be nice to you, but anyway.

It was you who was objecting to the song throughout the thread for political reasons, it was you who was trying so tiresomely to bring your own agenda.

Why didn't you just say 'i don't think it's partitionist' to begin with, instead of arguing in favour of those who claimed it was for page after page?

My only agenda is an objection to any attempt to censor a bloody song. If you search you'll see i have the same opinion on Celtic Symphony.

Advertisement