Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

i think it’s been mentioned here before but what have the bus stop objectors done about the situation? Who have you written to about it? Moaning about it here won’t change anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

I contacted 6 local councillors, 3 TDs, DCC and the NTA, and put up multiple posters at the stops notifying people of their removal.

4 of the local councilors got back to me saying they had heard from a lot of residents and were doing their best to reverse it. The NTA got back with fluff saying it was done following best practice guidelines and wasn't going to be reversed.

But you can argue it’s not following best practice guidelines, just like you’ve done here.

I’ll PM you…….

Do PM me. But believe me, I tried very hard to reverse the downgrade in our bus service.

My last comment on this, as it's just insulting to be called a princess.

After completion of Bus Connects, at least 10 separate bus routes will pass through North Strand, including 3x H-Spine, 4x D-Spine and 6x local routes 6, 8, 10, 21, 22 and 58.

The very simple solution was to keep a bus stop in North Strand on the local routes only and allow the main spines to skip. This would have kept a service in North Strand, especially for older people, while speeding up the service for the suburbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Public transport is to benefit the majority for the population, so yes, if you want to drive because you refuse to walk 100m further but everyone else benefits, that's a win for the city

Actually that is categorically untrue. Per their own guidelines, plans are supposed to increase the number of people within 400m of public transport, not decrease it.

You're getting annoyed at residents of North Strand who are losing their bus stop, when you should be annoyed at NTA / DCC for failing to create more express routes that don't stop at every single bus stop, which, again, is recommended in the guidelines.

Lastly, if you want to keep incorrectly stating 100m to make yourself feel better, then good for you, but it's 300m. The least you can do is stop misrepresenting the facts to bolster your argument.

If it's 400m between stops at the moment, then the most you'll be from a stop at the point you get to North Strand Road will be 200m.

If it's 600m between stops in the future, then the most you'll be from a stop at the point you get to North Strand Road will be 300m.

The difference is 100m

There was a stop 300metres away from my house at the top of the road. That stop has been removed and now the nearest stops are 300metres either side, or 600metres from my house.

So the difference is 300m. Are you seriously arguing this? It's like basic math.

Well that's because they moved the busstop, not because the stops are further apart, which was what you were arguing about citing the AECOM report.

Although now I can see that your problem is really that they moved the bus stop from your road, and the 400m/600m AECOM report was just some best guidelines you were using to make an argument, which is irrelevant to your argument.

I'm guessing if they left the bus stop on your road, and moved the other end 200m away from you you'd be fine

• Advertisement

They didn't move the bus stops. They "removed" one.

They actually moved the nearest stop (at the canal) 50m further away.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Jayuu

The problem with the bus stops for me is not removing them per se but both the manner of doing it without any consulation which felt very unfair and also the solution that was put in place which moved two bus stops closer to each other (on both sides of the road) creating a bigger gap on the far side. I'd just like sombody from the design team to explain the logic of the way the new stops were laid out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,690 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

They did explain their logic in the bus stop spacing report although they ignored the fact that the H Spine routes & 130 don’t stop on Amiens Street near Connolly, but rather at Busaras.

https://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/2022-12/2022.12.01%20Bus%20stop%20spacing%20FINAL1.pdf

Thanks for linking.

Just to be clear, this document was issued in December 2022, 5months after they announced the bus stop spacing. They also conveniently uploaded new planning docs which clearly show the stops removed, but these were only updated after people clearly complained.

Image taken from their "justification" document. Spot any gaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭highdef

I'm currently living 500m from a bus stop in Meath and find it really convenient and close. My new house in the Midlands is about 3000m (3km, to be clear) from the nearest shop/pub/convenience and I see that as easily walkable/cyclable.

Apart from those who may be very elderly and/or infirm,I really can't see what the big deal is about needing to make your own way to a bus stop 600m away. That's about a 5 minute walk for the majority of people which is literally nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Why are people moaning so much about a bus stop moving 200m or 300m?

I can't figure it out either. At worst case scenario, we're talking about an extra 4 minute walk (closer to 3 minutes if walking at a leisurely pace and not just strolling) if someones bus stop moves the full extra 300m away from it is currently. The extra 600m of steps for a return journey sounds fantastic for health and wellbeing alone.

Have city dwellers really got that lazy?

Bear in mind I'm discussing about the vast majority of people who are not very elderly or have any serious medical conditions that stops them from walking relatively short distances however it's unreasonable to have a stop every couple of hundred metres to ensure that a commute does not become absurdly long.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭roashter

Is there any timeline given for when cycle lane inbound will be opened between Annesley bridge and Newcomen bridge?

It looks almost ready, but has been this way for a few weeks now.

It’s been months, not weeks!

@loco_scolo is right to have issues about a bus stop. DCC and their traffic policy throughout the council district has always been about the frailest first.

How many hundreds of millions of euro have been spent upgrading every road crossing to disabled friendly?

A few years ago, they changed every traffic light in the city to a new, longer red light time to accommodate older/frailer people. Motorists are usually left sitting there at pedestrian crossings waiting for the lights to change green while the pedestrian has long since disappeared.

So when some unaccountable quango makes a pensioner or less-abled person walk an extra few hundred metres, they should be made accountable and change it back.

It’s black and white.

You can't compare bus access in rural Ireland to Dublin City Centre. A national development objective is explicitly stated for an "increase in the population within 400m of bus services".

It's not 500m, or 600m, or 800m or 3,000m. It's 400m for a reason. This is the limit where the equation in our head changes, and the easier option of the car, sitting right outside your front door, starts to disincentivize bus use.

I hate to break it to you but humans are extremely lazy. That's why loads of us happily sit in our cars despite public transport being available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I'm surprised it hasn't been pointed out already, and that it needs to be pointed out at all, but an "increase in the population within 400m of bus services" does not mean a spacing of 400m between bus stops. It doesn't necessarily refer to a particular distance between stops at all it could relate to wider planning intentions. If that's the goal, stops would be placed based on residential density, or the potential for increased residential density (e.g. brownfield or redevelopment sites with potential for residential).

It implies that if you have two apartment blocks 1km apart, and lower density houses in between, a stop should be placed close to each apartment block (assuming that gives a higher population within 400m of the stops), regardless of the gap between the stops.

If the goal is an "increase in the population within 400m of bus services" but with the minimum number of stops, it could be read as recommending 800m between stops, to minimise the overlap in the 400m catchment area of each stop.

Having looked at the images posted above with the stops, the spacing looks reasonable apart from the stops at Newcomen Bridge. Ideally the stops would be on the Clontarf side of the canal, this mightn't work on the inbound side due to lack of space but would be fine on the outbound side.

If the people arguing against this had a proper argument to stand on, they wouldn't need to constantly twist basic facts or make comical comparisons to rural Ireland.

If the goal is an "increase in the population within 400m of bus services" but with the minimum number of stops, it could be read as recommending 800m between stops, to minimise the overlap in the 400m catchment area of each stop.

This is not the goal. The goal is very clear, it doesn't come with attached "ifs" added by you in an attempt to discard said goal.

In fact, the guidelines state 4-800m for spacing, but less in city centre locations. It also recommends buses do not serve every stop, which NTA/DCC have failed to do. This would provide far higher benefit to the suburbs versus permanently removing one stop in North Strand.

Can you not just admit they've handled this extremely poorly, so we can move on. I don't expect it's going to change at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I asked for the guideline which the 400m thing was based on and the quote which has been given doesn't say what was claimed. It is entirely reasonable to point that out. Now you are saying "the guidelines state 4-800m for spacing" which different to before.

I didn't defend the process here and I did comment on the spacing on North Strand as not being ideal. Not sure why you are getting so defensive.

Apologies to get defensive with you, I know you are always constructive. A lot of others here are not constructive and it's frustrating.

The AECOM report for C2CC references 3 national and city development plans when it quotes the 400m catchment goal. The specific bus spacing guidelines follow London Bus guidelines, which recommend 4-800m across the city but closer in denser city centre areas.

C2CC is only 2.5km from planned upgrades on 200km of corridors across the city. I just hope they take some learnings from this, and also launch more express routes so everyone benefits.

To be clear, the bus stop that is 500m from me is in a decent sized town in Meath with a population of just under 7,000. It's certainly not rural. That particular bus stop is the one I use if travelling east bound and it's only 5 minutes walk away. The closest bus stop to alight from on the return journey is over 900m away and that is less than 10 minutes walk. Both are short walks. I'm from suburban Dublin originally but I've always walked when possible.

A few years ago, I was going to the theatre at Grand Canal Dock. I was getting the train to Pearse and then walking from there, about 800m......a short stroll of less than 10 minutes. Friends that were with me were wanting to get a taxi from the Grand Canal station for some bizarre reason, even though the walking distance is almost identical but you've the extra journey time to travel an extra stop so is a longer journey. Anyway, I said I'd hop off at Pearse and walk from there while they can continue on and get the taxi. Needless to say, I got there several minutes ahead of them. They literally could fathom idea of walking for less than ten minutes. They described the distance as being "miles"!

I'm not sure what you're suggesting here.... you're comparing a 50km journey from Meath to Dublin city centre versus a 3km journey within the city. 10minutes walk either side of a 50-60minute bus-ride is not the same as 10minutes walk either side of a 10-15minute bus-ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,680 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

A 3km journey within the city is walkable in 35-45 minutes, depending on pace of walker, quicker again on Dublin Bikes. Why anyone would wait for a bus in such circumstances is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭downtheroad

It makes for a nice change from people moaning about cycle lanes and cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,125 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

the amount of people online blaming cycle lanes for the recent chaos on the roads is mad, they're making all the roads lethal apparently.

• Advertisement

I'm not comparing journey lengths though plus I never mentioned anything about a journey to Dublin, I merely said a journey eastbound. I'm saying how far it is to my nearest bus stops located in a built up urban area. Depending on the bus stop, it's either 5 or just under 10 minutes walk. The length of my personal bus journey is irrelevant. I could be only travelling the 3km or so to a nearby townland, just the same as someone in Dublin city travelling 3km to another townland within the city, in which case it could be exactly the same as what you just described.

Advertisement