Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband switch deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,444 ✭✭✭Nollog

This is why I didn't go with openeir, I assume theyd need to install their own ONT beside my current Siro one.

Openeir's offering is slightly different in upload speed, but the technology and equipment is the exact same or near-identical.

Sky use Siro for FTTH only afaik, but you could try asking them. Digiweb ("lightning" i think is openeir) and pure telecom (the one called "instant speed" is openeir i think) and eir are probably your choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

€100 voucher and €39 per month virgin media 500 mbps..works out at €31 sh

ends tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭corks finest

Vf won’t budge this year

normallly I get a free month plus low tariff e40 1 gb

today they offered e40 bit on 500 mb

• Registered Users Posts: 16,687 ✭✭✭✭banie01

That's likely because VF are moving away from new customer discounts. They are trying to move to a levelling of pricing rather than promotional pricing and discounting.

They are aiming to reduce their churn rate and keep customers longer.

Kinda stuck with them so

ive convinced them to change the modem

and send an ‘ engineer’

to reroute the fibre line from where the original loon put it( in the guttering)

going to try and squeeze a free month out of them

• Advertisement

With them 6/7 years

also PAYG with them

might get something

VM just sent me hub 6 after initially giving hub 3…very stable and consistent speeds compared to hub 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

In the process of switching to VM. Just wondering should I be checking what router they sent me - think it is Sagemcom 5685 - is that the most up to date? Thanks a mill

Thanks! Is it any good? Moving from Sky and found myself rebooting their hub over and over.....

• Advertisement

yes stable so far....the white one v3.0 was a joke !

Thanks for that. At this stage, I have the Sky router plugged into a smart plug which I have timed to switch off and back on every night in the early hours to force a reboot. So VM router can't be worse as far as my experience goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭henke

Does anyone know does Virgin use SIRO or openeir FTTH?

Siri afaik

as its Siro in my area and they’re advertising same

Virgin use cable.

They own and operate their own network in Ireland.

Either docsis 3.1 or 4.0 probably judging by the speeds advertised

https://www.tomsguide.com/features/what-is-docsis-40-everything-you-need-to-know

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭chonix

So, after trying to switch to eir from VM; the engineer who came said that the post where I should be connected is a safety hazard and can't be climbed. Had to stop the cancel with VM; but I was offered a deal. And I said no, I need to be connected.

Now the forecast for eir to fix the stuff is until December 2023... now, the golden question: Is there any way to get a deal with VM without cancelling or registering as a new customer? I feel they didn't give me a good deal until I called them to restore the service...

Ref safety hazard

demand a scissors lift or likewise?

f engineers 🙄

waited in all morning for VF to come - no joy,

despite them ringing me Friday afternoon to confirm and check my number and give me a time

rose ructions on the phone to a lady based in Egypt,

they rang back and now it’s on fir Thursday morning,

and I’m being compensated for missing a morning’s work over the whures

(probably a month free)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RINO87

Anyone anything good or bad to say about Pure Telecom? I've never used them, but they're working out the cheapest for me for fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,687 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I've used them previously and since sky are playing silly buggers on their retention pricing? I've gone back to pure and went live again yesterday.

Have always found their CC to be good on the rare occasion I've needed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭irishchris

having very frustrating afternoon with trying to switch providers on nbi. Currently with vodafone and contract up in two weeks so trying to setup switch now so don't fall into another month of 40 euro. so far sky have said they cant facilitae a switch to nbi connections, Pure telecom charge 10 euro extra for nbi connections over openeir connections so 45 a month. eir will only do 1gb connection for 45 and no 500mb. also they wont do the onebigswitch offer while also being the rudest customer service i have dealt with ever.

Anyone who has switched recently on nbi connection who did you switch to and any decent deals that are available?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭suave.4u

Had the worst experince swithching over to EIR.

The technician came in today but was not able to do the installation as Eir did not send them the complete order. 

The installation team took the modem away stating they need additional cables to fix which needs to be provided by Eir.

Eir now says all is well. However there is no modem , no internet.

Was chasing EIR up for a whole week. Finally they stated that the installation has to be cancelled and a new contract should be started cause this is needed for Circet team to start work.

Long story short, I cancelled and took Virgin.

Now EIR have sent me a bill for the service and letter stating I need to return the modem. They did not leave a modem at the first place. What a disastorous company !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭crasy dash

It's that time of year again so have switched from Vodafone to pure 30e a month broadband on copper line max speed 50mb where I live due to ancient infrastructure

Received the router today was expecting the usual black Huawei one but it's a Fritzbox anyone able to comment on the reliability of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭honda boi

Just signed up to pure myself 2 months ago

Max speed just under 50mb here also.

They gave me a zyxel modem.

Those fritzbox modems look alot better!

Eir🙄🙄🙄I shiver when I think of their ineptitude

2 close friends switched to them within the last 3 months

both have had issues with billing

had to go through the hoops to get sorted,

im with VF Siro out of contract but not getting any joy trying to squeeze even a free month out of them to sign a new contract,

tbf they offered me compensation as they didn’t turn up on Tuesday to sort out my cabling,

didn’t elaborate what compensation but expecting a free month so not too bad I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭mortimer33

Virgin Media Broadband Sale now on!

500Mb Broadband for €39 a month

For a limited time now includes €100 One4All gift card

..offer ends today.

It’s a one for all e100 thing or similar

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭scottigael

Avoid virgin media ... been waiting a solid month now for them to install.

God and I was contemplating it

vf let me down twice this week alone

didn’t turn up Tuesday

wasted day

3 turned up today and stayed 3 minutes

didn’t sort me

another bunch otw 5/oct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Weird situation in my estate, let's say theres 150 houses but when fibre was installed they seemlingly only had points in the cabinet for 120 houses so a chunk can't get it. Is there a risk if I switch providers that I could lose my spot in the cabinet and someone on a waiting list could get it?

Advertisement