Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The emergence of "Zombie" by The Cranberries as an Irish sporting anthem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I've never objected to the song for political reasons.

I object to it being used for political reasons, at a rugby match.

You can run up and down every street in Belfast, or any other part of the country that's away from me, singing it after that for all I care.

Tell them all what you think about Celtic Symphony too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭standardg60

You're all over the place now.

People objected to the song for political reasons, and you supported them for political reasons, while those who were singing the song were never singing it for political reasons. People may now sing the song in defiance of those who objected for political reasons, purely due to them objecting in the first place.

Anyway i'm off to watch some rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I object to it being used for political reasons, at a rugby match.

Look, I've only been lurking in this thread, but the only people using this song for political reasons are those objecting to it. No one, no one else considered it a political statement, just a few cranks online after the fact. It's a great song, the crowd were amazing singing it, and there a small number of people online who want to be argumentative for the sake of it. Utter nonsense altogether. You don't like it that's fine, but the rubbish about how a 5 minute song doesn't address all the nuances of the troubles or shows a partitionist mindset in the south is utter garbage from people trying to generate outrage for the sake of it from a genuinely great all island sporting achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭AyeGer

If anyone is looking for a great cover of Zombie check out Daria Stavrovich on YouTube from The Voice Russia.

I don't think people were singing it at the match for political reasons.

But I think people have been trying to turn it into a political thing at games.

I think you've picked me up wrong, but I'm adamant that it not be politicized.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Calculus

Yes, in rebuttal at those who try to claim it is ‘partitionist’.

It’s called using facts to dispel a myth.

I’m pretty sure we are in agreement here. Nobody singing it on Saturday was doing so with any political motive. They were delira and excira and just singing along.

Sorry my bad.

There's been a lot of trying to drag this out.

I made to the mistake of engaging with it for a bit.

I'm taking a more blunt approach now.

Apologies that it got misdirected.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

any act implemented to uphold the sectarian state, under that sectarian state, was implemented on the basis of gerrymandering.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

you are incorrect.

sectarian sunningdale did not deliver anything that was required to modernise northern ireland, of which only the good friday agreement was the only act to deliver such modernisation.

sectarian sunningdale was capitulation to beligerent unionism, at the expence of the majority, both catholic, nationalist and moderate unionist.

there was every justification for the PIRA campaign as britain was never going to deliver equality and human rights for the catholic and nationalist communities of northern ireland without violence forcing them to do so.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

You're the only one who's been dragging it out, clearly you've now been told by someone to stop.

It's so obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

No, even though I'm not offended by this song, and like it, I can see how somebody genuinely might be.

But so far, I don't think anyone here wants to consider anything like that. In fairness there's an awful lot of pushing agendas, so maybe a lot of understandable wariness too.

Most of the people here are just singing a great song at a match. They're not out to hurt anyone and I can respect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Jesus people love a good moan nowadays. (The irony of my post is not lost on me).

Great tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

In last election I voted for a SF guy who was working hard in the local area, but after the clowns like yourself and other SF supporters complaining about an Irish song being sang at rugby national game for enjoyment by a stadium full of people having a good time, and having sang the same song in the aviva at a Munster game with the kids at half time to get the fans behind the team. There is one thing for certain no SF vote in this household next election and a lot more Irish fans will do the same, now have to go and get west Brit put on my Munster jersey. Seen this is what shinners think all rugby supporters are.

It's a song about the troubles. It was probably always going be an issue for the 32 county team.

From what I see there's just as much from FFG trying to make this into an anti SF issue and ruin singing it at matches.

If you're not out to hurt anyone I'd say sing away. Anything after that is your own business.

• "without violence forcing them to do so"

Only in your dreams I think. From the top down: the 1973 NI Constitution Act, the 1985 Anglo-Irish Agreement, the 1993 Downing Street Declaration and finally the 1998 Belfast/Good Friday Agreement.

As can be clearly seen, the core British position remained essentially the same over 25 years.

This is the biggest climbdown since Armstrong set foot on the moon.

It is certainly not an issue for an inclusive 32 county team. It is only an issue for those who may be opposed to such inclusivity.

The more i look at it, the more i think this whole targeting of the song was a planned and coordinated attack by certain elements which has spectacularly backfired.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's definitely weird that a song promoting peace and with an anti-war message could be seen as 'controversial'. Most people worldwide don't even listen to the lyrics and think it's just a great grunge style rock anthem.

If that's what you want to call it and it stops your phoney outrage great 👍

• Advertisement

Once it moved from being a Munster song there was always scope for the outrage merchants.

It's a song about an atrocity committed by one side.

There's plenty now trying to politicize it from both sides.

Maybe just let people enjoy the sport and give over about your 'coordinated attack by certain elements'?

People want a singalong at a match without that shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TokTik

“The Miami Showband massacre was an attempt by the British Army and the UVF to kill all the members of the popular Irish showband by placing a bomb inside their van.”

There’s one example. Colour you shocked.

I'm sure there's a million threads on twitter calling all sorts of songs offensive.

I'm sure there's a million comments having a go at rugby fans.

I'm sure there's a million terrible things said about the troubles.

Have fun figuring them all out.

I have to 100% agree with the first sentence here. They IRA did not act in the name of all Irish people on the island of Ireland.

Most Irish people in the south stuck their fingers in their ears and whistled Dixie whilst Irish people in the North were murdered, burnt out of their homes and treated like blacks under the Jim Crow laws. They just didn’t care about them. Easier to turn a blind eye than risk having to do anything to help.

5.3m - 1.2m means 4.1m couldn’t care less. Not sure where you learnt maths. But 4.1m is most.

Thomas James Clarke

Born on the Isle of Wight in 1857, Clarke’s father was a soldier in the British army. During his time in America as a young man, he joined Clann na nGael, later enduring fifteen years of penal servitude for his role in a bombing campaign in London, 1883-1898.

The first bombs of the Dynamite War were planted in London in October, causing explosions on the London Underground near Praed Street (now Paddington) and Charing Cross stations. Over 70 people were injured. In February 1884 a small explosion in the cloakroom of Victoria Station in London injured seven people and several unexploded devices were discovered at Charing Cross, Paddington and Ludgate Hill stations. In May bombs were thrown into two London clubs, there was a failed attack on Scotland Yard and dynamite was discovered at the base of Nelson’s Column in Trafalgar Square. In December 1884 Lomasney was killed when the bomb he planted at London Bridge exploded prematurely. With the exception of the attack on Scotland Yard (which housed the Special Irish Branch, established in 1884 to investigate the dynamiters), it could hardly be claimed that the targets were either military or political. The dynamite war targets included train and Underground stations – public spaces where the death or injury of civilians was extremely likely – and would today be described as terrorist in nature. It is difficult to argue that, assuming the bombs exploded, the dynamite war would not result in significant civilian casualties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭crusd

The only people trying to politicise it are those trying to shoehorn a meaning to the singing of a song that does not exist, and also trying to suggest that the song when written the first place was taking "sides" when in fact it was anti all violence.

How many people do you think are aware of the interviews Dolores gave about the song after it's release, explaining that while it was written in reaction to Warrington, for her it represented a wider anti-violence message, while understanding and accepting that nuanced distinction?

And that's only trying to understand the intentions behind the song, it's a powerful, angry, confrontational song (and great for it) of course it could be used to portray all sorts of messages.

40,000 people were singing it for a singalong at a rugby match ffs.

Maybe you genuinely do think everyone must have attached the same singular meaning and understanding to it as yourself, if you're not just trying to be outraged that is.

Meanwhile, most people just don't want these politics coming into sports.

It lessens it for everyone if they are, can you not see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Alpac

Yikes how dense do you have to be? you realise there's about 1.2 million children. another 1 million pensioners, many of whom probably aren't mad rugby fans. so thats already eaten into you're simple analysis

To put the figures into perspective, the All-Ireland Gaelic Football final - typically the country's biggest sporting event of the year - drew an average audience of 971,000.

• Advertisement

Thats still 1.9m. Again, most. Maths not a strong point? And pensioners just lose interest in sports?? Haha

Advertisement