Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

That Szoboszlai goal had me thinking of Paddy Berger but I think Domo at just 22 has just a little bit more to offer than the Czech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Pep worried about us. Throwing the cup to concentrate on the league

Enjoyed that. It's nice our midfield don't pass sideways anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Must have been an interesting last few minutes when we were still attacking and almost scored to make it 4-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,049 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Really is such an odd duck of a fella though... losing 1-0 in a cup, has gotten Haaland to make the 3 hour bus trip to Newcastle, and still doesn't bother throwing him on for a few minutes. Like, if you're not going to use him under those circumstances, why bother making him travel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,495 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Advertisement

It'll be something like this his presser

"We have injuries, we have a small squad we can't spend like Chelsea, we need to protect erling"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Sky trying to get another 5 ad breaks in before the draw?

United v Newcastle

Bournemouth v Liverpool

Away, dam

Bournemouth v Liverpool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Fecking Mansfield and Port Vale drawing each other, such a waste! 🙈

Decent draw all round - Newcastle facing Man Utd, and Arsenal away to West Ham, so certainly one of the faves will go out, and a half decent chance of another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,674 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Happy enough with Bournemouth . A good run out for the 2nd’s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Game will be between Forest and Luton during hallowe'en week

It's a good draw, and we played so well tonight, even without the first teamers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

And just after Bournemouth have a big game against Burnley before a trip to Man City. They'll want to win that Burnley game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭McFly85

It’s been really nice to enjoying watching us play again this season - while I don’t always have the belief that we’ll definitely win, it’s a world away from the fundamentally broken team of last year.

Didn’t feel any panic yesterday, while we did concede early we played well throughout and created enough chances that I always felt we’d come through it eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

They do have a small squad to be fair.

It's just an extremely strong squad, so he'll rightly get zero sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

I know the evidence has shown that we're able to come back from behind to win so maybe this isn't all that insightful but I love how I have that feeling that we'll turn it around after an early set back. That mentality. We completely lacked it last season. Opposition teams seem to be putting everything into the first 30 minutes or so but there's the hunch that they'll tire and our bench will be too strong. For many years I had a similar feeling with the Dublin GAA team. Down at half time? Sure the opposition are goosed, it'll be grand.

There's an assuredness and confidence to our play in possession that is really encouraging. Unfortunately we'll get some bad luck or things won't go our way and we'll drop too many points to really threaten City but it's wonderful to be very confident that we'll be incredibly entertaining to watch this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

All 4 of our new midfield signings have scored or assisted in their most recent appearance for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

When you think about it, having 7 wins and a draw from our first 8 games with 4 new midfielders in a complete overhaul to the position is some going! Like obviously there's been some luck along the way and things have yet to fully click, but that is to be expected for such a drastic transition. Still it's mightily impressive considering the midfield is probably the most important cog in Klopp's machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It's amazing how much better the team actually looks now that our midfield are mobile again.

It's also great that we aren't as reliant on Robertson and TAA for assists now the midfield is chipping in.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

One of the main positives so far this season has been Quansah. He hasn't looked out of place at all. He should be one of the starting CBs in the cup comps for now at least. I hope he doesn't go the way of Rhys Williams though who has disappeared from the scene totally in terms of first team places. If Quansah has what it takes to develop into a CB starter it'd be a great win for the academy system and take some pressure off that rebuild. Matip and van Dijk will be replaced over the next couple of years, and while I really like Konate, he's not the most reliable as he seems to pick up a good few niggly injuries. Left back and CB are the next couple of places that will need sorting out transferwise as things stand (other than a possible Salah shaped hole), so any academy products that can step up would be brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

I, for one, am delighted they'll continue as our owners.

• Advertisement

Same, this proves they are committed to the club again too, getting it in better financial health. Good business this, money goes straight back into the club.

Less debt means more funds to spend on the squad, that will be lost on the FSGOUT mob though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Once Elliott sorts out his shooting hiccups he'll be quality

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

He reminds me of a fella running around at 100mph. Diall it down to 95 could make a real difference for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭tinpib

The thing about Rhys though is he has the pace of a pensioner. No coach can solve that, that I'm aware of.

Yeah, Rhys brief emergence really was pure desperation - he never looked good enough, even aside from his lack of pace. That season, Quansah already looked a better footballer leading the FA Youth Cup team to a final, but didn't have the size to match his ability yet. Since he's grown and bulked up he looks head and shoulders above Williams in all aspects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I'm not saying Rhys will make it at Liverpool but to put into perspective Carragher never had any pace but his reading of the game and positioning made him a decent CB.

Think even Carra was a lot quicker than Rhys though, and of course a much much better all round footballer too. Rhys has real height, but not a lot else about his game stands out. He'll be a grand mid-championship level player I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Game has moved on immeasurably in the last 25 years, no way Carra makes it nowadays.

Not gonna run down Rhys, but Quansah has shown so much more potential already than Rhys ever did.

Is he still at the club?

He's on loan at Aberdeen, but not playing for them. Doesn't seem to be making the squad for their SPL games, though has been on the bench for their Europa games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Anyone see all the Barcelona bribery stuff coming out today? Might be an opportunity to go after the likes of Pedri or Gavi for another young midfielder or Yamal as a potential long term Salah replacement?

Can't wait to see what Thiago can add to this new midfield, is he anywhere near fit, seems he's forgotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

John Henry looks like an agent from the Matrix in that first one.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭Talisman

Quansah and Billy Koumetio have both looked like great prospects that would be ready to step into the squad in the next few seasons.

Koumetio went on loan to Austria Vienna last season with the plan being that a season of first team football would prepare him for a place in the first team squad at Liverpool. Unfortunately for him the club replaced the manager which resulted in a switch in formation to a flat back four and Koumetio was the defender that lost out, there was also an issue with the Austrian clubs receiving financial incentives to have no more than 6 foreign players in the squad for league matches so his appearances on the bench were further limited.

In contrast, Quansah went on loan to Bristol Rovers in January and had the challenge of dealing with the physicality of League One football. The experience of playing regular first team football has stood to him and was reported to be the deciding factor on which of the young defenders would remain with the Liverpool first team squad for this season. Quansah has seized the opportunity that has been presented to him and it bodes well for his future.

In contrast, Koumetio went on loan to Dunkerque in Ligue 2 for this season and he hasn't settled in yet. He got sent off on his debut a couple of weeks ago which is a great learning opportunity for him. Hopefully he'll get his place back in the line-up following his suspension because he definitely needs to play regular football at this stage of his career.

They both have some way to go in terms of their development before we could expect them to be regulars in the line-up but their continued development will reduce the pressure on the overhaul of the defensive line next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

FSG selling a minority stake is the end for us.

I've never really warmed to Koumetio... he's massive, but he just doesn't look a great footballer. When they played beside each other for the youth teams, Quansah always looked far more spatially aware with a much better passing range and defensive nous, while Koumetio was getting by more on physical prowess than technique or acumen. That's grand underage, but when you're up against men it's a different kettle of fish as the physicality only gets you so far.

• Advertisement

It reads like they didn't take any money,it has to be invested into infrastructure and keeping loans to a minimum, it's a contrast to how some clubs are ran and shows they are there for the long term unless they get a massive offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I had read it as investment that would pay off some of the clubs debts (with the stand rebuilds, training grounds etc). But aren't those club debts actually money owed to FSG and not to the banks in the form of interest free loans?

So technically FSG are receiving money for it, but only through the club becoming healthier for it, not FSG becoming healthier in a way. That debt would always have to had been paid back.

Even though the investment is not for transfer spend, the club will benefit from it as that previous commitment to paying back debt is not as large as it was anymore so in a roundabout way, the money coming into the club can actually be reinvested back into the club be used to pay transfer fees/wages, rather than servicing dent. Which is good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

My reading of it is the exact opposite of yours.

What makes you think that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭Talisman

You're right, Koumetio has definitely been guilty of relying on his physical attributes as a defender. Before the first massive growth spurt he played as a left winger at under age level, afterwards he was moved to the left back position and subsequently to centre back. He reminds me of Skrtel in the way that he is so physically strong and imposing but he needs a player along side him to instruct him on how to defend.

Sending him on loan to a League One club as was done with Quansah would have benefited him greatly, the physicality of the league and playing for a team that is often under the kosh defensively would force him to develop himself as a defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭Bugatti

What do we actually know about Dynasty Investments? Who has shares in the company? Are there any connections to the middle east? It looks like the company was only formed last year, which is a slight red flag for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement