Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Remembering Old Bars and Clubs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Handels near Christ church. Used to go there a lot in the early 2000s. I think it turned into a placed called karma? No idea if it's still open

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Happy Days, bar extension on the Old Shieling...for when the lads on the run fancied a bit of a bop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Handels near Christ church. Used to go there a lot in the early 2000s. I think it turned into a placed called karma? No idea if it's still open

I remember all the stoner lads I knew loved this place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

The Don Arms Hotel in Castlerea, back in the late 80's/90's. Long since closed and now a nursing home.

Went to my first Dishco in there when I was 16 and got plastered after about 3 pints, (They were dodgy as I learned in later years). Remember the room started spinning as did my stomach. Decided I needed to go the the Toilets, but it being my first time in there I had no idea where the fcuk they were. After walking/stumbling around with my hands over my face for a few minutes I couldn't hold it in and I proceeded to projectile vomit. That was bad enough but there was collateral damage in that I sprayed the local nut bag's pristine white shirt with my stomach contents. Now normally this knuckle draggers first reaction to any situation was to punch first and keep punching. Mongo wasn't capable of asking questions later...

So when he pulled off his shirt and stood in front of me topless I was expecting to be battered to a bloody pulp (or raped). But much to my surprise he pulled out an English 20 pound note and told me to go to the bar and get him and his mates 3 pints. I knew better then to present an English 20 pound note from this guy to the bar staff so I paid for it with my own money, got the pints back to the topless lunatic, gave him my "his" change (Irish money) and legged it. Looked at the 20 pound note after and it was a blatant fake. Blatant as in it looked like he had drawn it himself with crayons and stuck on a picture of his granny instead of the Queen. But I still had all my teeth so I wasn't complaining.

Also honerable mention for The Warwick in Salthill. Laffeys bar first in town and then out to Salthill for some craic. Great music and a general Legend of a place on a Thursday night (moshing to Nirvana). Seen The Stunning's last every gig there in 94, Something happens played the same night with them.

Also the Alley Night Club off Eyre Square. A kip but damn it all, it was our kip. Still fondly remember everything shutting down, lights coming on so that we could eat a dodgy curry off paper plates. Dodgy curry as in it was made of food stuffs rejected by the the local dogs home, so they served it up to us p1ss heads instead. Feeding time at the zoo for 10 minutes, then lights went down, music on and everything kicked off again. Gut rot guaranteed the next day too. Good times, good times....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

The Don Arms Hotel in Castlerea, back in the late 80's/90's. Long since closed and now a nursing home.

Went to my first Dishco in there when I was 16 and got plastered after about 3 pints, (They were dodgy as I learned in later years). Remember the room started spinning as did my stomach. Decided I needed to go the the Toilets, but it being my first time in there I had no idea where the fcuk they were. After walking/stumbling around with my hands over my face for a few minutes I couldn't hold it in and I proceeded to projectile vomit. That was bad enough but there was collateral damage in that I sprayed the local nut bag's pristine white shirt with my stomach contents. Now normally this knuckle draggers first reaction to any situation was to punch first and keep punching. Mongo wasn't capable of asking questions later...

So when he pulled off his shirt and stood in front of me topless I was expecting to be battered to a bloody pulp (or raped). But much to my surprise he pulled out an English 20 pound note and told me to go to the bar and get him and his mates 3 pints. I knew better then to present an English 20 pound note from this guy to the bar staff so I paid for it with my own money, got the pints back to the topless lunatic, gave him my "his" change (Irish money) and legged it. Looked at the 20 pound note after and it was a blatant fake. Blatant as in it looked like he had drawn it himself with crayons and stuck on a picture of his granny instead of the Queen. But I still had all my teeth so I wasn't complaining.

Also honerable mention for The Warwick in Salthill. Laffeys bar first in town and then out to Salthill for some craic. Great music and a general Legend of a place on a Thursday night (moshing to Nirvana). Seen The Stunning's last every gig there in 94, Something happens played the same night with them.

Also the Alley Night Club off Eyre Square. A kip but damn it all, it was our kip. Still fondly remember everything shutting down, lights coming on so that we could eat a dodgy curry off paper plates. Dodgy curry as in it was made of food stuffs rejected by the the local dogs home, so they served it up to us p1ss heads instead. Feeding time at the zoo for 10 minutes, then lights went down, music on and everything kicked off again. Gut rot guaranteed the next day too. Good times, good times....

Good story- wasn't there some rule back in the day where late night venues had to offer a meal included in the cover charge? remember it being mostly fried off spuds and chicken curry in our local disco

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

The high stool in Limerick,I enjoyed that place quite a bit circa 12 years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Good story- wasn't there some rule back in the day where late night venues had to offer a meal included in the cover charge? remember it being mostly fried off spuds and chicken curry in our local disco

Ya the local Gardai came up with that one to sober people up and stop rows outside. Didn't last very long though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Ya the local Gardai came up with that one to sober people up and stop rows outside. Didn't last very long though.

Not true though it sounds good.

Many late venues circumvented the need for taking out bar extensions by taking out a special restaurant licence. Provided they served a "substantial meal", they were allowed to stay open a lot later hence meals of nuggets and chips or rice and mild curries being served. Occasionally venues would need to be reminded by the local cops of their legal obligations in this regards while the meal helped to sober up many drunk revellers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Another one was taking advantage of 'theatre' licenses. If a theatre had a show on until say 3am they could legally serve for an hour after the last performance. Hence the likes of Spirit with dancers until all hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Some great reading in this thread and lots of memories flooding back

i just wandered in here myself as I was racking my head trying to remember the name of a pub on Wicklow street. It is now called Mary’s but back in the late 90’s the bar was only downstairs, in the door and straight down a big wide staircase

anyone remember what it was called?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭ruth...less

Charlie's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

No- or at least no to the original name - - Casper’s

No. Eamonn Doran’s was in Temple Bar.

I don’t remember it being called Caspers, I think that was a few years earlier but same bar alright.

Charlie's was over on Aungier Street, real dark bar. They got a good deal on black paint (maybe orange/red in the name?) Was a rocker bar? Then maybe early 2000’s it merged with shop on the corner to open out into a bigger bar and renamed Capitol. Might have been called something different in between?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I can think of Eamon Dorans,I think but Danger Doyles,Bruxelles,Fibbers too, it was along time ago though:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Clouseaus in Ashford and Le Trex in Greystones.

I worked in Republica Night club for a while, anyone remember it? (1998 I think)

Later I worked in The Red Box and The Pod for a while too. (2004/2005)

Anyone remember going to The Gaiety night club after the pubs closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

@anyone from Cork city - I see the Oval bar in Cork city mentioned on this thread earlier - used this place have an oval bar in the centre of the room? If the same establishment i see from pics it doesn’t now- i had a mighty New Year’s Eve in what I think was the oval about 25 years ago, I think we were standing on the bar counter by the end of the evening friendly crowd running the spot ….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Yeah, Eamonn Doran's was on Crown Alley in Temple Bar, where The Old Storehouse is now. It was also The Rock Garden before that. This was in the first half of the 90s when I was in college (in Trinity around the corner).

And Charlie's was a rocker bar on Aungier Street, and yeah, it was red and black.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Guppeens

Hi! I registered to say I think you're talking about The Central Bar. Sorry a few years late. Great read about all the old clubs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,636 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yeah it popped up a lot in the recent thread on the Dublin City forum for closed nightclubs.

A maze...

Edit - this is the thread

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058307696/famous-dublin-and-surrounding-areas-nightclubs-that-are-no-more/p1

Post edited by odyssey06 on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I remember Bruxelles vaguely. Went to Club M once or twice. Didn't go out in town to a specific place too much..I went Whelans a good few times.

I went to Coppers I'd say twice. I don't really get the jokes cause I didn't go there much but I was laughing a few years ago my mam was telling me my cousin split up with his gf because she went to coppers and apparently in their circle of friends theyd say 'all the men rub up against you in coppers' and that was a deal breaker for him 😂🤣😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Not that long ago but used allways get a few pints in the sunset house on the way to croke park for games. Interesting spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fatnacho

I think it was called AKA. Place had notions. Lots of white furniture, mirrors and a VIP section behind a curtain, if I can remember correctly. Don’t think it lasted too long after the recession!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

There was some brilliant clubs in town when the dance scene was in its prime. Sides,Ormond mm, temple of sound, columbia mills, switch, temple theater, system, red box - jesus they were the days., lived for the weekend. Used to drive the length of the country for a good one Henry's, Roxy, the castle in salthill I think was another one. Ye would see the same heads at them, great times .

I remember Temple Theater and Red Box.

What was that one..Bamboozle or something like that? It began with a b not bruxelles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Was it Boomerang? It was in temple bar underneath Buskers.

Yes I was thinking of both of them. Thankyou 😊

I went on a date once and we ended up there. The guy brought his friend on the date! 🤷 He was foreign but I can't remember where he was from. His name was Oscar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Probably looking for a "menage a troi ". 😀 Probably not the places to go on a date. I haven't read through the whole thread but I have hope the institution that was The Harp got some mentions.

I was in the Lemon and Duke a few weeks ago and I was thinking this use to Cocoon back in the day. I remember it was owned by Eddie Irvine at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Friday after work in the chocolate box for drink promotions in the early noughties I have hazy memories of.

I think it became AKA afterwards

so still wondering what it was called in around 2000 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,557 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I have memories of this place when I was in college, and pretty sure it was not called AKA. This would have been around 2003/2004.

Can't remember it for the life of me either! Voodoo? Traffic??

I found a load of old Slate magazines online, people in Dublin in the early 00s may remember them, has a lot of the old club nights and events

Post edited by retalivity on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

I think it was Casper & Giambini and then Just Casper's in the 90s.

Definitely had a different name

i think it may have been a double barrel name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

That reminds me, I worked in Clare's around 1991. Was in the basement of a hotel near Merrion Square. Would be opposite the Davenport Hotel now.

Loved the mention of The Harp earlier, only place I ever got involved in a scrap.

Hollywood Nights in Stillorgan.

Streets bar in Rathmines, it became Roddy Bolands after that.

Howl of the Moon night club.

There was a night club in Ranelagh about 93/94, can't remember the name.

Riva's in Donegal town, became Neros around 1992, still there I think.

Scorpios Letterkenny.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭Allinall

It was Night Owls in Ranelagh.

Originally The Charriot Inn, famously burnt down by Des (Zippo) Wooton.

It then became The Richard Crosbie Tavern, named after the famous balloonist. Has a load of snooker tables upstairs, with telephones on the pillars to phone down your drink orders.

It's now Supervalue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

The Ivy Rooms Hotel on Parnell Street, Dublin (now Fibber Magees)

I saw some great local rock bands there in the 1980's while working for the pirate radio station in the attic (Radio Annabel).

• Registered Users Posts: 1 don_juan

Some great memories coming back reading this thread. Went to college 00-04 in Dublin close to city centre; a daunting enough experience for an innocent 17 year old culchie but didnt take long for a gang of us to learn the ropes! Started off with the Temple Theater and The Palace; Peigs used to be the spot for a monday night, you couldnt (or could!) go wrong with £1 a drink in that place.. Fireworks was mental back in those days on a thursday night. Spirit in Abbey Street was an adventure for a while; Redz was a great place, Boomerang, Break for the border, Mono on Camden Street, Tramco's, Q-Bar, Portobello and of course who could forget Quinns and The Big Tree...🙂 Dublin was such a great place to go to college, somewhere to go every night and you could avoid someone very easily if you had to😋

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

good pub Monday to Wednesday / Thursday, otherwise it was rammed and zero comfort …. Not saying it was illegally packed just no comfort in it.

Also some of the more casual staff were pure crap, just firing drinks out at whomever…. No logic to who got served first with them..

full time lot were grand…..one of the best barmen I’ve encountered anywhere and by what I’m seeing on social media he is still working there.

Next time I’m free of an afternoon in the city I might pop in for a look see. Wonder if Louis Fitzgerald and co. have changed much about it since the takeover.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

And we never heard of substantial meals again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Probably my favorite pub in Dublin back around 2004 to 2007, weekends could get busy but always had a good mixed crowd and good music. Then you walk around the corner to Nassau street and the price of a pint jumped by a euro, horrible places (apart from the small Ron Blacks).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,750 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I thought Boomerang's was the basement bar in the Stephen's Green centre opposite the Gaeity? Called Major Tom's either before or after that?

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,750 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Went there regularly in early 00s, snooker tables were in the back not upstairs (maybe there was upstairs as well? but I thought that was the nightclub part) but yes you could phone in a pint. They had a Who Wants To Be A Millionaire quiz machine which didn't last long, I always made a substantial profit on it 😁

Scrap the cap!

No. Boomerang was in Temple Bar under Buskers as OP said. It was part of a hotel setup, can’t remember name of hotel, could still be there for all I know, never go to Temple bar 🤣

I remember those machines. Think there was one in Cassidys on Camden Street… up that area somewhere anyway which I also made profits on 😎

Speaking of Snooker tables. Who remembers Ricardos? It was not a bar, but it became a bar. A crap one 🤣 the Palace on Camden street.

Ricardos was just a snooker hall but it was class. There was many many college lunch breaks spent in The Commitments rehearsal studio.

and then there was the hideout???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭Allinall

They had snooker tables with the biggest holes in Dublin. You could make great breaks, but it always felt like cheating.

• Advertisement
Advertisement