Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists' responsibility for their own safety *warning* infractions given liberally for trolling etc

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I'll settle this with the below and everybody can get back on topic please -- everybody: do not talk about dimmed or other headlines unless you're making a point relevant to the topic at hand.

Dim your headlights/lights  to lower the angle of the front lights of your car, especially when someone is driving towards

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Madd Finn

Whew. You're not wrong!!!

I could read through all 16 pages to see if anything worthwhile has been written but life is really too short. I just think that the bereaved family's essential point that locking up shoplifters awaiting trial is a better approach to road safety than cyclists taking some responsibility for themselves, at least up to the minimal rules set down in this regard, is histrionic nonsense.

Maybe the driver was at fault. Maybe he was driving dangerously and without due care and attention to any other road user. But by neglecting the rules of the road that pertained to him, the dead cyclist introduced a reasonable doubt that such was the case which has allowed the driver to escape sanction for anything more heinous than driving without tax and insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,213 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

This would make a really really excellent example of the misuse of statistics for an Introduction to Statistics class. The statistics quoted say nothing at all about the relative behaviour of cyclists versus pedestrians or cars. All it tells us is who caused the most accidents.

To understand which category is most well-behaved, you would need to know the total interactions each day/week/month with LUAS. Let us take the figures in the post as referring to a week of behaviour. We will have to use some imaginary figures to make the point as real ones are not available, and it is those missing real ones that would tell the correct story.

226 incidents are down to cars breaking red lights. However, in any single week let us speculate that there are 100,000 times that a car interacts with a LUAS. The incidence of bad behaviour among cars is therefore 0.226%

223 incidents are due to pedestrians entering the tramway suddenly, but we speculate that there are 1,000,000 times that a pedestrian interacts with a LUAS. The incidence of bad behaviour among pedestrians is therefore 0.0223%

61 incidents are due to cyclists getting in the way of trams, but we speculate that there are 10,000 times that a cyclist interacts with a LUAS. The incidence of bad behaviour among cyclists is therefore 0.61%. That would make cyclists the worst.

So you can see therefore that the poster has completely failed to understand how statistics work, and has jumped to a conclusion - cyclists are by far the safer road users - that there is insufficient data to support. Furthermore, I have shown how some further figures, if available, could lead to a completely different conclusion.

Are there figures out there that would allow us to reach a conclusion about the relative safety of pedestrians, cyclists and cars? Unfortunately, not.

Are there proxies that we might rely on? No reliable count of pedestrians is done. They travel to the city centre by bus, train, car, LUAS, bicycle etc., so we would probably conclude that there are far more pedestrians interacting with the LUAS than cars. That means given the small difference between the absolute numbers of 223 and 226, that the average pedestrian is far far better behaved than either a car or a bicycle.

Are there statistics about cars and bicycles? Funny that you ask.

Let us look at some traffic counts. Download the Powerpoint on 2019 data (the most recent I could find, which shows traffic counts for 2018). Unfortunately, it only shows the numbers who enter between the canals, therefore traffic that meets the LUAS outside the canals isn't counted at all, and only a proportion of those who enter between the canals intersect with the LUAS. Nevertheless, it would give a proxy for the relative number of bicycles or cars around the city.

So what does the data say. From what I can read, it says that 198,027 cars entered the city centre in the 7:00 to 19:00 timeperiod while 21,717 bicycles entered the canals during the same period. Given those numbers, you would expect the number of incidents with the LUAS by cars to be nine times the number of those involving cyclists, if both were equally safe. OK, you say what about Dublin Bikes? Fair point, let us double the number of cyclists to allow for those using Dublin Bikes.

We have 226 car incidents for 198,027 cars, a rate of 0.11%.

We have 61 incidents for 43,434 bicycles, a rate of 0.14%.

Conclusion: Even when you make an extremely generous assumption about the use of Dublin Bikes, cyclists are more dangerous than car drivers in terms of incidents with the LUAS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Consonata

Would be an excellent point if it weren't for the fact that most of the core cycling infra as you approach the city centre is shared with Luas tracks, particularly the N11 -> College Green, Parnell St, Harcourt St. etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,833 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

That's a lot of speculation (a word you use a lot) and an amazing "use some imaginary figures" as you say.

Imagine a few more stats & speculate there while you're at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

It's a case that makes a strong case for zero tolerance of all road offences. That a road user (especially drivers) that habitually commit road offences no matter how minor may escalate to something more serious like killing someone. That the abysmal enforcement of offences is major contributor to accidents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭SeanW

So all drivers are texting on their phones all the time while driving? I suspect this is about as true as your claim that Ireland's 2.5/2.8 million drivers are collaboratively "killing 2 or 3 people every week"

Nope, by the end I reached the real statistics. Your attempt to portray cyclists as the safest fell flat with the tiniest analysis.

I am not making definitive conclusions, I am just pointing out that the poster who did make definitive conclusions had zero basis for doing that because he completely misused or misunderstood the statistics he was quoting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Consonata

I mean I wouldn't exactly call doing a per capita calculation exactly top class statistical analysis. You yourself are also making assumptions that this would track linearly, when its a more complex argument. The poster can make an assertion based on the data that cyclists in the city cause the Luas less problems than drivers do (which is objectively true, that the incidence of it within cyclists is by the tiniest margin higher, isn't all that relevent if you are a Luas driver, or Transdev). He is entitled to said assertion.

There are several hot spots in the city where cyclists share a lane with the Luas where cars don't, that lead their tires to slot into the rails and causing the luas to halt (I have been one of these, getting into one of the rails on Dawson st.) and I've seen it happen several times to delivery cyclists too. I would hazard a guess that this would be the cause of a fair amount of the incidents, particularly in areas where Transdev and DCC don't talk top each other/point at each other when it comes to who should maintain the infrastructure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭standardg60

Perhaps, but that fact would maybe only reduce an excellent point to a great one instead.

On the plus side of cyclists in the statistics we would also know that a proportion of cyclists between the canals wouldn't necessarily be commuting to work either.

That there are design flaws that make cyclists more likely to cause problems for Luas doesn't mean anything other than cyclists should maybe take an alternative route. Remember I didn't make any definitive conclusions, I pointed out the flaws in the post that did.

We have no hard evidence that cars are safer than cyclists in causing incidents with LUAS. Even the basic facts presented in the original post don't determine fault. What if every single incident with a car was due to poor driving by a LUAS driver and every single incident with a cyclist was due to poor cycling? It would be 61-0 with cyclists being all at fault.

Who knows? The original statement - cyclists in Dublin........are by far the safer road users - is at best unproven or unknowable, on the basis of statistics and at worst seriously wrong.

It wasn't a % of all road users. It was the % of the number of incidents with Trams.

There's a number of these studies, all broadly saying the same thing.

I'm sure the operator is considerably less interested in road users who don't hit their trams.

You're right, the "2 or 3 each week" stat is a bit outdated. It's closer to 3 or 4 people killed by drivers each week now.

I'm sure the cyclist would have been seen if he was wearing hiviz.

https://x.com/cyclisthannah/status/1707515219113554163?s=46&t=3l1OhjvjsuAh4w9RMjlH8g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭SeanW

The tram operator might not be interested in road users who don't hit their trams, but if you're going to assert that one group is more dangerous than another, you should be. Your side have a knack for not including or dismissing evidence that doesn't fit your narrative. Like Andy below.

When last the RSA published statistics (2016) there were 2.8 million people with some kind of license or permit to drive in Ireland. Of those, 2.5 million were or included Full Category B (car) licenses. Plus there are drivers on our roads from other jurisdictions, including, as mentioned in another thread, a sudden influx of drivers (and their LHD cars) from Ukraine.

So the question again arises, which of Irelands 2.8 million+ "drivers" are you accusing with this statement? If you're trying to blame all 2.8 million + of us collectively, I'm sure you can explain the apparent accusation of collective guilt? Or otherwise you can explain your use of such broad terminology as it appears to be tarring all 2.8+ million with a broad brush?

If people are going to inflate imaginary driver numbers simply by adding all potential drivers. Then you can similarly inflate cyclist numbers by including anyone who can can potentially cycle. Which is the vast majority of people and children and tourists. Be it bicycle or tricycle.

But no matter what way people attempt (and fail) to twist statistics. You can't change the physics of two tones of an object hitting vs something a fraction of the weight and speed hitting something. That reality will always be reflected in any statistics.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just as a general reminder, this objection to collective grouping comes from someone who has been more than happy to collectively group people such as cyclists in order to defend his narrative. One could almost believe that he's trolling!

I'm accusing the drivers who kill three or four people each week of killing three or four people each week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,833 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Another one this month, caused havoc in the city. Was it a cyclist or a car?

As usual, it was a car.

I fully accept that more cars are involved in incidents with LUAS trams than cyclists are involved in incidents with LUAS trams. I am not disputing that fact so there is no point in putting up more links that say the same things. And of course, if cars are involved in more incidents with LUAS trams, it makes sense for the operator to direct their concerns there.

However, those links do not lead to a conclusion that cyclists are safer road users than car drivers in general, which is the assertion that the original poster was making and the argument which I demolished with my analysis. In fact, his evidence would point to pedestrians being much safer users than either car drivers or cyclists, and that is was a toss up between those two as to which was worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Yeah but that could of been a motorist who cycled a bicycle years ago, when you think about it it could actually be a cyclists fault #sarcasm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would bloody well hope and expect that motorists are 'safer' road users than cyclists. by the very narrow definition some seem to be using here.

i.e. the debate seems pointless to me; you can argue that motorist X and cyclist Y are equally 'safe' or not 'safe' road users but the point remains - the cyclist is armed with a bicycle. people above seem to be arguing on the basis of an equality of behaviour; that a motorist driving with a certain disregard for proper observation say, is as dangerous as a cyclist doing the same. but equality of behaviour =/= equality of outcome.

or another way; is a cyclist deliberately skidding on their bike equivalent to a motorist deliberately sliding their car?

How do you measure 'safer in general'?

If you measure based on road deaths or injuries arising, then cyclists are safer in general.

I wasn't making that argument, it was another poster who was claiming that cyclists were safer road users and misusing statistics in doing so.

I don't it is possible to draw such definitive conclusions using currently available statistics. For example, how many near misses with pedestrians were cyclists or car drivers involved with? How many red lights broken? None of that is available and there is no reliable evidence.

What you did was took a sweeping generalisation out of context then invented nonsense statistics to argue against it.

The only thing demolished was your credibility.

If people are going to revert to "accident" cycling statistics I would be skeptical of their source. In the past they've come from hospital stats which included accidents that happened not on the road at all. The bigger the sample size the more dubious the data.

Post edited by Flinty997 on

The thread title was about a cyclist with no lights. But it's also about the driver behaviour and the lack of enforcement of both road users. It's a systemic failure.

Theres a certain irony in certain posters selectively redrawing the frame of reference to narrow the frame of reference or broaden it at random. It's deliberately disingenuous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭kirving

The bar to actually assign fault to someone for wearing black, particularly when there is no law regarding clothing colour, is exceptionally high. So it's worthwhile being skeptical of that figure in my opinion, and backed up by the study below.

Look at certain crimes, conviction rates in no way represent how many crimes are committed, as the burden of proof is so high. Being "evidence-led" is all well and good, but there is a ton of room for presumptions, biases, and (perhaps rightly) controlling the message which is trying to be conveyed, while still claiming to be evidence led.

There are a range of things which contribute to a cyclist just being seen (nevermind considered and reacted to) by a motorist. Not an exhaustive list, but would include:

1. Motorist actually looking. Of course this is #1 and nothing else matters if they don't look.
    2. Day/night/lights. Obvious.
    3. Cyclist putting themselves in a position where they can be easily seen. Too many cyclists sit in a blindspot and are completely dismayed when they get cut off.
    4. Cyclist clothing color choice.

The Danish study below indicates that yellow jackets are effective. People can call it victim blaming, call them builder jackets, whine about the message that is sent, post a picture of a police car that is hit, or whatever else, but the net result is that fewer cyclist were hit, and fewer injuries caused when they are worn.

If you are looking for cyclists, it is easier to see a cyclist who is wearing a bright colour, as more light is reflected to your eye.

Not looking, is a different problem, with a different solution.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0925753517313528

Highlights

randomised controlled trial with 6793 cyclists shows a reduced accident risk due to a yellow bicycle jacket.

The test group had 47% fewer multiparty accidents with personal injury.

The test group had 55% fewer multiparty accidents against motorised vehicles.

Finally, I think what annoys motorists the most is not solely a cyclists compliance to the rules of the road, but that some cyclists put themselves in positions where the driver needs to go far beyond normal levels of consideration to ensure the cyclist's safety.

I can't count the number of times I've had cyclists (and moped drivers tbh) sit in my blindspot while driving in the city, sometimes for minutes at a time. All the while I know that If I make a single mistake, move left for any reason whatsoever, that I'll hit them, and while on paper it would be my fault, they have done nothing to help themselves.

It's never happened, as I cycle in Dublin city a lot, and try to be very aware of even the most suicidal of cyclists, but it's generally only a matter of time before any of them fall foul of a momentary lapse in a drivers concentration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Madd Finn

Fair enough. But there's many here who would say "Don't wish too hard for that" Zero tolerance means fining cyclists who ignore red lights, cycle in the dark without lights, cycle on footpaths, cycle the wrong way up one way streets etc etc

Sauce for the goose and all that....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement