Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Morris seems the type that would demand a lot from the county board in order to be able to deliver and I'm not sure he'd be convinced to come aboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tobesure

Whatever about coaches, first thing that needs to be done is find a goalkeeper.

I'd rather go Armagh route and use an outfielder in goal who can kick a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Big loss. Obviously there's a massive need for a good forwards coach but O'Neill at least shored up the back. We were terrible at tackling and giving away frees before he came. I see this as a big dent in next year's All Ireland ambitions.

Is Morris the main coach of the Corofin all Ireland winning teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

yes Morris was the main coach for Roachford and Kevin O'Brien. I thought he had corofin playing brilliant football in croke park and was pragmatic enough when playing in the county championship. I think with the talent available Morris would really bring them to the next level in terms of counter attacking football and transition play. I know his involved with the galway hurlers on the stats side of things and he was talking to Henry on the sideline against tipp during the game

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mjp

Heard during league that this would be divillys last year as wanted out end of last year but joyce convinced him give it one more year. If so would expect complete overhaul of backroom team as can't see o domhnaill staying on as seems to be token selection from west since day one. Don't know if scan offers much either as seems like a bit of a header on the line and can't see players having much respect for his views.

Joyce might find it hard to get others in with him as don't think think his man management skills are the best judging by the amount of players that have jumped ship over the last few years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭threeball

O'Neill was the only rudder that ship had. We'll now be back to the rubbish we were looking at just after covid and possibly worse as I don't think this team have any faith in Joyce and I don't blame them.

Its blindingly obvious that any team that has the guts to leave a few forwards up and transistion with huge pace is going to make serious waves in the next couple of years. Kerry already are blitzing teams with a similar approach though its not yet fully evolved. It pins back at least the same amount of defenders, it pins back the goalie too. So if, you're set up correctly at the back you won't get overrun and when you attack and you won't need to commit everyone forward as the attack should be over by the time they get up in support.

I can't see who they'll get in who is worth having who'll accept playing second fiddle to Joyce and his ultimate veto. I think Fitzmaurice would be a great option when Joyces time ends and I think he'd give us serious consideration. Get Dave Morris in with him and you'd have a serious management team.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tobesure

Could be a tough year for Galway next year.

Conroy can't surely go on much longer.

Walsh may well be on the decline.

Comer, I can see being injured every second game.

I don't see any real quality forwards to step up. Burke, Finnerty, Tierney are all decent but not really standout. They're more along the levels of the likes of Danny Cummins, Bane etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Robert2014

Could we rotate Comer and Conroy inside? I remember Conroy play full forward for us earlier in his career. With the advanced mark, it may be an option to keep him closer to goal. We can have Maher and McDaid as the main midfielders. It may be a way to prolong his career and use his experience and help to rest Comer too to avoid injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Seems like a good suggestion... Two great aul warriors, that usually impress even on the bad days... pace and injuries are their only enemies.

Also a word to the doomsayers. There's precious little between the top 8 teams in Football and yes Galway on their day are in that top eight...and a match for any of them on our day... but need a clean bill if health and maybe a few training ground strategies for kick-outs and maybe for engineering a goal in 'emergency' situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Our sideline team needs improvement, and with Cian reportedly exited stage left we're not in a good place, I'm losing the faith in PJ, too many mistakes have originated on the management bench... Failure to prepare, prepare to fail.... How many times have I heard "Hard luck, Hard luck Galway"footballers and hurlers, men and ladies Hard feckin luck... Well great teams make their own luck, we're too soft by half in this county we need a bit of steel and it's hard to see where its gonna come from

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 laymansterms

This is spot on. We are too willing to blame a ref, bounce of the ball etc. We need a compete change in mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Listen to Adrian Varley's interview on the Backdoor Gaa Podcast. It's on Spotify or YouTube. I think it's a very good interview. But he spoke about his chances of playing again for Galway. It reflects badly on the man management skills and personalities of the Galway management. You'd wonder how lads who are there now, and getting little or no game time, are feeling if management are seemingly not very approachable?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭threeball

I don't think Walsh is in decline, I think his head is very easily swayed. Last year he was tuned in and played his best football in years. This year he seemed to get carried away with his performance in the final, started letting all this other stuff get in the way like instagram, and doing interviews with joe.ie the evening after turning in a very poor performance against westmeath. If hes happy to retire without ever winning an all ireland then continue to do what hes doing but if hes not he needs to get the head right, cut out the noise and get back to workrate and basics when it comes to his football. His decision making for a guy of his age and experience is poor.

missing pre season training didn't help him either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Is there no thread for the camogie? Cork looking stronger here so far, but the Galway forwards are not getting much rub off the green.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Rosita

Any word on how the Galway teams are getting on at Kilmacud 7s today?

I doubt there is any galway team is up consisering the first round of championship is on this weekend. Corofin had a big win over salthill with Liam silke back.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 laymansterms

Joyce and Shefflin staying on. Although it looks like Joyce's coaching team will be getting a significant shake up, if the stories are to be believed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭spurshero

Well done to the minor ladies footballers today . We really do take all Ireland’s bar Senior for granted ! Not a single post .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

PRESS RELEASE - U17 Football Management

Galway GAA are delighted to announce that Neil McHugh (Caherlistrane GAA) is recommended for the position of Galway u17 Football Manager on a 2-year term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Kelly and Comer nominated for all-stars, Kelly I agree fully, but Comer this year I dunno🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

When fully fit, he was excellent in fairness.

Wonder how far away was Jonny McGrath from a YPOTY nomination? Was at least as good as Jack Glynn last season IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Robert2014

I saw yesterday that Joyce was confirmed for the next year and Cian O'Neill was staying on as coach. It seems like the same coaching team as last year which looks to be a missed opportunity. We need to get a forwards coach in to help develop patterns of play. It looks to be all off the cuff and our forward play was the issue. You won't win many matches scoring 1-9 or 1-10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Joyce will always get the benefit of the doubt for his fantastic playing career but he's massively underachieved in his 4 seasons it has to be said. He had lads like Comer and Walsh in their prime and I hate to say it but I think we've wasted them.

He's a tactical dinosaur and has seemingly coached the confidence out of Tierney, Rob Finnerty, Culhane etc who we needed to step up this season in attack. As Robert2014 quite rightly pointed out they also hit an incredibly poor amount of scores that ended up costing us the Armagh game and the Mayo match the following weekend.

I was fairly sure he was always staying on for 2024 but that gives me no confidence really.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Avon8

He was heroic versus Roscommon and had a match winning contribution in the 15 mins he was on versus Westmeath. Ok in halves v Tyrone and Mayo and off injured for the rest of it, I thought he had a very good year per mins played. Obviously won't be within an arses roar of an All star, you'll have players like Enda Smith who won 4 man of the matches out of 5 games that won't get one.

Regarding the Joyce Con debate, it's nothing short of brilliant news that CON is staying on. Joyce is who he is, we all know he's probably tactically inept yet he's a monumental figure, for better or worse. Cian O'Neills positive influence can't be questioned however, tactics were night and day from when he joined compared to the two years previous. His tactical nous (verified by multiple other county setups) is absolutely essential in a setup that by all accounts runs on emotion.

Besides CON, the next biggest priorities are ensuring Liam Silke comes back in and Peter Cooke sticks around. I believe both may be willing, which means we've as much reason to be positive as any other county outside of the obvious, Kerry and Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Corofin back as the best in Galway with winning their first senior title since 2019. They also won the league this year and I believe unbeaten all year. Liam Silke, Kieran Molloy back are big additions. Will likely be favourites to regain the Connacht title now.

As for Moycullen they lost their County and provincial crown with that defeat, no Sean Kelly didn't help today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Corofin back at the top…..brilliant for Galway football .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭spurshero

Comfortable enough win for corofin . Egan and McCabe will surely be 2 that galway will have to give a look to in spring . Corofin seem to have a nice blend of youth and experience . Might miss Ian Burke in a really tight game .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Rules for a West of Ireland GAA team... former all ireland club hurling Champions in Galway

Advertisement