Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the UK now giving off strong Third World vibes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

That is a silly thing to say. The point often missed regarding immigration/ refugees is that the UK is a Democracy there is the rule of law, right up to the House of Lords, It is a safe secure country and somewhat of a meritocracy.

The places where some of the refugees come from have a tribal and class-based system a hundred times worse than the toffs in the UK and endemic corruption

A Somali immigrant from the lowest of the low cast in Somalia can in the UK go to school to get 4 A levels and become a doctor, that does not happen in Somalia no matter how clever the person is. I am only picking Somalia as an example it applies to loads of countries. That is something to celebrate about the UK

T

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭yagan

I found the class war to be an english variation of tribalism. It's mad that something like 70% of MPs went to Cambridge or Oxford (collectively called Oxbridge) yet less than 1% of population did.

I think England is stuck in a mediaeval ruler and ruled society, and they keep voting for it.

Plus first past the post voting is not representative democracy. It's nuts that Cameron's parliament majority only needed 38% of those that voted.

What's interesting about this thread is that it's showed even in Europe a Country can go backwards and things aren't always getting better, and no it's nothing to do with refugees.

Post edited by mariaalice on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,203 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Any time I've been to Manchester and Liverpool, you could tell they are very much working class cities - just by the way people were dressed, the accents etc. You wouldn't think for a moment you were in an affluent city.

No nation is immune from some variation of populism, although the binary voting systems of UK and USA left/right makes the centre ground a lot narrower compared to most proportional representation democracies where compromise amongst coalitions tempers the worst extremes.

I think there's a tendency in Ireland to import that binary left/right political language which easily evaporates at the poll booth, as fine Gael found out at the last election.

Thank fook we didn't vote for a return to first past the post voting in the two referendums held on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

I don't care what other countries do. In the UK most of the media is Tory controlled, companies that benefit directly contribute to the Tories even though the decisions go against the welfare of the population. Tate and Lyle being a recent example.

What about the sleaze surrounding the duff PPE and even the bribes that were passed on to the DUP to bring a Brexit that worked against the interests of the population.

Lobby groups are rife in Westminster, democracy isn't at the service of the highest bidder anywhere else but the US.

Of course like the US Republicans, Britain has now prevented voters that are unlikely to vote Tory from having their vote. This has been reported on by the UK's own electoral commission.

I fail to see why a lack of democracy is somehow justified because you believe other countries systems are worse.

As for the house of Lords, are you not aware that that bastion of honesty courage and competence, the PM of dead in a ditch fame that finally was ousted through his lies sold a knighthood. Try a Google of Evgeny Lebedev and sleaze.

The current practice is to fill the Lords with Tories if you care to investigate, a bit like Trumps attempts to get republican judges to office in the states,

A long time ago things were better, more honest and more democratic in the UK. You cannot have democracy with a government that lies and witholds the truth.

The decision makers such as cummings and Frost are still waiting to be elected as MP's I believe. A tad late for the "democratic" decisions they made, but better late :-)

I showed a clip of hurling to someone in Manchester and they replied that it's a toffs game because it looked like hockey.

I went to the Irish centre in Cheetham Hill to catch an all Ireland once, they advertised that theyd be showing it in the main bar.

The bar was full yet their big screen was showing the premiership. None of the english staff could figure out how to get the hurling up on it.

Instead the entire lounge of county jersey wearing fans turned towards a few wall TVs showing the final and no one watching the soccer on the big screen that dominated the lounge.

A older Irish gent who went to England in the 60s said Irish people stopped coming in the 90s, so now the second generations weren't being replenished with Irish influence so they just didn't appreciate why people were wanting to watch hurling rather than their premiership.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I lived in Manchester for almost 18 months. Great city with a good amount to do and better transport than Dublin. It even has a huge airport. I lived in Sale but I knew people in "problem" areas like Moss Side and Wythenshawe. Clayton felt really dodgy to me but on the whole I'd no issues there.

The North of England on the whole though has more issues of poverty than most places but a lot of it can be quite nice as well. The thing with migration is that migrants rarely choose places like Middlesborough or Sunderland to settle in. You don't relocate for the same quality of life, you want to better yourself.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

There are issues everywhere.

I just found the “shabbily dressed” comment absolutely hilarious. The supposition that your choice of clothing on any given day indicates poverty or wealth is jaw dropping level backward, judgemental and speaks to a frightening level of immaturity.

People in the UK are dressed indistinguishably from people in the Rep of Ireland.

There are well dressed people who have no money and badly dressed people who are many times millionaires, both here and in the UK.

The mental image of a totally bewildered visiting Irish national walking around the streets somewhere in the UK being almost offended by people who are dressed identically to what you would see on the street anywhere in Ireland, just because he/she is in the UK is approaching Leprechaunism. 🤣🤣🤣

Some say proportional representation is the way forward.

I say don't vote for liars.

I was once a Tory voter in the UK. Being caught in a lie would be the end of a political career.

Of course we did not have the internet then though where facts can be selectively manipulated to "prove" mask wearing during pandemics cause suffocation and 5G masts bring pandemics in the first place.

Basic common sense suggests that anything sold on a lie is a thing to beware of.

How many lies would you accept from the seller of your next second hand car before declining the sale?

Johnson was chosen to lead the Tories, he is a known, easily researched compulsive liar with a history of incompetence.

Just a simple Google of Johnson along with lies, fridge, sackings,failures will bring up a plethora of results for the Tory ex leader and remember Johnson is a common name in Britain and the US.

So when a compulsive liar is voted in on the promise to "get Brexit done", it's hardly democracy if the peoples choice is based on a work of fiction.

In a true democracy people with a childlike innocence and belief, still need to be fed the truth.

Sadly the truth is not quite as simple as the nicely tailored cut & dried good/ bad stories the Tories excel at, while wringing their hands unable to do anything to solve problems "others would make worse".

The electorate like simple, they like fairy stories, they don't care too much for democracy.

It's a forelock tugging thing, left over from serfdom, they trust in their betters.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Having been involved in both Irish and Swiss politics, I'd say it goes deeper than that. Ireland and Switzerland are unique in having a sovereign people. Splitting the voting decision between "how I want the country governed" (strategic) and "who I want to run the country" (tactical) produces a different type of voter. People think differently about politics and they ask different types of questions - even the idea that a parliament or a government could do something that is unconstitutional is alien to most nations.

And as you have pointed out - in both countries the voters have voted one way in the popular vote for parliament and voted in the opposite direction for constitutional change. It's almost as if the voters were saying: we're happy in having you run the country, but no, that is as far as it goes. Other countries don't have that option.

So you haven’t been to Clondalkin, finglas Ballyfeemot, parts of Tallaght, Waterford city, Ennis, limerick city, Tipperary town….ever….recently ?!? Where on earth do you live yourself. You lived near Sherriff St 40 years ago. Do you live on the moon now?

I lived in finglas and inner city too.

Have you lived in areas in England I mentioned before?

If you’ve lived there (deprived areas in Ireland) then why are you alleging that the deprivation doesn’t actually exist? *”since the 80s”.

Yes to your other question. I was born and reared in Essex. Lived in Birmingham, Coventry. Big cities no different to any big city in the world including cities in Ireland. What’s your point?

• Advertisement

I saw material poverty in England that I hadn't seen in Ireland since the 80s.

Relatively there are poor places within Ireland, just as there are relatively poor parts of Switzerland.

I'm noticing more and more english accents on Irish building sites.

It's very hard to explain, I was in a small costal town above Blackpool a few years it's nothing like the poverty you see here, I'm not saying there isn't poverty here but welfare and supports are very good here despite the fact that loads can't see that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

They're embarrassing themselves not being able to finish the high speed rail

The ones debunking it keep talking about speed when it's a capacity issue

I wonder if you were in Fleetwood, very old demographic, but definitely not as grim as Blackpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The main argument against PR was "we'll end up like the Italians".

5 Prime Ministers in 7 years later............

That's what ignoring all the countries that coalitions work fine, will do.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

That has more to do with their bicameral system than PR. They still form coalitions like so many other EU states that usually last full term.

I don't remember much about the AV referendum in the UK, but I don't remember Italy being cited as a main argument.

Edit to add, I was in Australia when they 5 PMs in five years!

Italy was always an untypical example of a country with coalitions ; dozens of different parties and with a recent history of both fascism and communism. The overwhelming majority of countries have much more stable coalitions than what was seen in Italy post-war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Don't know if Dominic Cummings was involved in that referendum, he cut his teeth in a referendum about a devolved North Eastern assembly back in the 2000's, but I think instability was a big issue raised on the No side, you'll get the BNP and Nick Griffin in government.

Funny how that turned out.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Slightly different in the UK, with a "democracy" that is the property of the highest bidder, coalitions are not needed when you can bribe people like the DUP with money that the Tory government finds sprouts out of this "magic money tree" to force your dogma through.

Britain would not be happy with an EU style coalition, after all the whole of the EU is run by a "corrupt bureaucracy" that "hasn't had its accounts audited" .

Well that's what the so called freedom loving Brexit voters came out with.

The big irony is that UKip spent all their energy decrying as undemocratic the only chamber they could get elected to!

They (Brexiteers) are gaslighted into thinking whatever the right wing press barons want them to think. All the stuff about Britain being the greatest democracy in Europe, the EU being totally corrupt by comparison etc is straight from the pages of the Daily Mail and Daily Telegraph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Well you have to wonder what the educational system is like.

Complaining that the EU is undemocratic and sending Farage to Europe to "look after" Britains fish along with the other bunch who's only claim to fame was to turn their backs when someone played "Ode to Joy".

I suppose they got their wish, but I'm sure they could be equally miserable even had they elected intelligent people to represent them.

I don't think there is much hope for the country. To rectify a problem, the problem must be recognised. The vast majority still have the belief that they are key players in world events, while ignoring the fact that not so long ago UNICEF were in Britain feeding their kids.

As a BBC interviewee from Hartlepool said when asked about voting intentions, "I'm voting Tory, you get more food banks under the Tories".

I may seem a tad negative about all this, but when stupidity wipes 20% off your English accounts, it's hard to feel sympathy or respect.

Currently 1.15 euro to the quid. Not even at the 1.16 it dropped to after the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Unflushable Turd

Of course like the US Republicans, Britain has now prevented voters that are unlikely to vote Tory from having their vote. This has been reported on by the UK's own electoral commission.

when did this happen?

A huge problem is that the right wing media sees its role as to keep the Tory Party in power. This is a disaster from the point of view of the public, as the Tory Brexit regime is scarcely being held to account at all. Even now, the right wing press are mostly attacking Starmer and Labour (and the SNP, Greens, Lib Dems etc). The whole thing is beyond messed up.

• Advertisement

Well that is standard Tory strategy. The banking crisis was always a Gordon Brown manufactured catastrophe, every chance they got austerity and the banking crisis was a Labour catastrophe.

Now that was before Brexit and the lies were not so direct. It could indeed be said there was a banking crisis under the Labour government, just as the weather patterns of the time appeared while Labour were in power too.

The UK press and now the BBC never challenges their statements or tries to hold them to account.

When your party is totally useless and has had thirteen years of exacerbating all the problems Britain had, then the only option is to frighten the punters into thinking any other party would do worse.

I didn't watch politics on the TV and never have the BBC news on here any more. The blood pressure goes sky high when every pile of garbage goes unchallenged and most of the reporters questions are dodged with a monologue substituted for the answer describing some very selective "success" that is unrelated to the shambles asked about.

There is money in the UK, the trouble is that the money is held by those controlling the media. The real stars of the show though are the muppets that vote for the system to continue.

I think it's the Santa Claus con that did it. They are used to being lied to and see it as a good thing, after all Santa brought them nice toys and things :-)

I do love no longer being "English". Technically I might be, but it does wonders for One's self respect when you are a national and live in a country where you are treated like an adult and not lied to or have information witheld from you like a gullible toddler.

Part of the problem is the alternatives The Tories aren't great, Kier Starmer isn't the worst but the likes of Jeremy Corbyn put a lot of voters off with daft Marxism and class warfare is not what those looking for an alternative want.

Post edited by mariaalice on

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Unflushable Turd

That’s the sad reality.

Johnson wasn’t elected because he was super popular, he was elected because the promise to get Brexit done is what a tired electorate wanted. The alternative was a life long europhobe who was promising to drag the thing out even longer. In hindsight, despite how bad Johnson was, Corbyn would have been a **** disaster.

the best outcome, was probably for the uk to sign up to the deal agreed under Theresa May and keep a proper one nation Tory in charge. She wasn’t the most charismatic leader by any stretch of the imagination, but I do think she had far better intentions and was less corruptible than what came after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,199 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i can, not a chance will there be an irexit.

it won't be allowed to happen.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Emblematic

In fairness, like the food kitchen issue, we can't really throw stones at the UK when it comes to completing large scale projects.

As I explained to brexiters as an Irish person it would be hypocritical not to respect a nation leaving a union, just as we did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Shoog

There's nothing to respect in a nation voting against its best interests. They bought a lie and are suffering as a consequence. I can't respect that kind of stupidity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,974 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The story of the Sycamore Gap tree being cut down in an act of vandalism is so on point with where the UK is at in this period of time.

It's not a significant event in the context of politics or the economy or looking at it through similar lenses, but its another news story that people click on, or hear, or see and for many I expect it cuts away at their mental fortitude.

It feels like this period of time will be looked on as a very dark period for the UK in future years when it is distilled down to being referenced as a decade or 15 or 20 year period.

If you were born in the UK in say, 1995, you'd be 28 years of age now. Probably having completed education, built up a couple years experience (or more if you didn't go the 3rd level education route), and possibly in a relationship and thinking of the next logical step of house, marriage, family etc. (Broadly speaking of course). And while many people born at that time, did all these things, many of their significant years in terms of their mental well being, societal viewpoint and personal philosophy has been accompanied with pretty negative events in the society around them.

From the 08 crash which could have impacted the parents of these people in terms of job security, mortgage payments etc as the kids entered secondary school to the massive growth of tuition fees for university courses as they looked in that direction, the period of austerity which it feels like never ended. The toxicity that led to the Brexit referendum being held as they graduated from college and which was ratcheted up during the campaigns, as they saw 50 to 60 year old's argue for taking away the opportunities to travel freely for these young people that they themselves had benefitted from. Everything that has happened since with successive governments being in a shambles, a series of calamitous Primer Ministers along with a dominance of political influencers with very regressive philosophies, the acrimony and vitriol that prevails in anything with a European influence, the Covid Pandemic, the sh*tshow that is UK beaches for the last couple of years, the rampant inflation of the post Covid period, the profiteering of companies in possession of formerly nationally owned companies, the terminal decline of the NHS, the slashing of the goals for anything progressive or for the wider ocuntry with the step back of Net Zero targets and the practical abandonment of HS2.

And this week, something that gave most people a feeling of comfort when they saw it, in person or on TV or whatever, was destroyed, just because.

It's just a tree, but if you're a 28 year old in the UK who likes nature, wants to protect the environment and feel like your youth was stolen from you, this was another blow you have to fend off. The fact that it is just so pointless makes it hurt even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭babyducklings1

No wasn’t in Liverpool, never said that in my post.

• Advertisement

Believe me it was easier to spin them off with that than actually engage with their brexit fantasies.

They had zero knowledge of their own history so it would be like wrestling a pig, both get dirty but the pig enjoyed it.

not in ours or their case.

in our case, we left a union that subjecated us and would have kept us a back water to this day, leaving meant eventually we managed to improve and modernise.

they left a union that was their biggest trading market and that actually hugely helped to keep them afloat, that brought them from being the sick man of europe to a modern country, they are now on the way to going back to being the sick man of europe again.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

that's a mistake that is often made, all be it thanks to the far right press.

what corbyn was offering wasn't marxism, but what is offered in the rest of europe, social democracy.

because politics in britain is so scued right now, anything that is not the hard/far/alt right wing of politics is saw as hard left or communist or marxism etc.

the food bank issue is a hell of a lot worse in the uk, regardless of figures it is a huge issue there whereas it is a small and easily solved issue here.

still disgraceful that it is happening here mind.

i agree about infrastructure projects, but to be fair, that issue is likely down to our obsession with coppying infrastructure policies from the uk for decades.

we are slowly waking up but not fast enough.

I will defer to your better knowledge but there is a difference between a moderate left social/ cohesion view and an amout of the British labor policies.

Great, you explain that to a brexiters.

You're wasting your time. The most aware I heard a brexiter was about Ireland's exit from the UK was that they knew it had something to do with a post office.

• Advertisement

Labour did well when I were a lad.

I never voted Labour in my life, but there was stability and although there was poverty, there was one person sleeping rough in my city in the sixties/ seventies. He was a well known alcoholic who used to bed down outside brick kilns for the warmth.

Now every town in the place is full of people holed up in shop doorways. The towns making up Stoke on Trent are well portrayed on the internet and look only marginally worse than when I left after Brexit.

The gutter press have wrecked Labours chances. Any party is up against a propaganda machine that even Pravda could learn from.

The Labour party were not perfect, I didn't support them because of their loud mouthed followers who were basically thugs shouting anyone down in the odd subject oriented meeting I went to. In addition to that, their paymasters, the unions wrecked Britain, they abused their power and even shifted Heath from office.

I was there, I lived through it, I think we were a better country when we valued truth, courage, looked after those in need and despised liars and greed.

That country is gone. Which is why you have ended up with me I'm afraid :-)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Well, the big infrastructure plan, the HS2 high speed rail link from Manchester to London to take pressure off England’s overloaded and crumbling motorway system has been essentially canned, with projected costs spiraling to £220 billion+, which Brexit won’t have helped.

The HS2 line will now only run from Birmingham to Old Oak Common, an interchange station in the outskirts of London. This is like the piecemeal, cheapskate, “ah sure it’ll do” approach to infrastructure here in Ireland back in the 1980s.

The Conservatives with seats in the North are apparently livid and furious and are in all probability counting their days remaining in Westminster. The North feel this is a big two finger salute to them by the Tories.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The Old Oak Common is not on the outskirts of London. It's in Zone 2. It's not central but it's not far away either.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

I wasn't referring to an Irexit, not happening- I was thinking more along the lines that as the EU is looking at tax in general, how will Ireland strategy for essentially tax headquarter change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

TBF there's been nothing but opposition to this which I never understood. George Osbourne may have been overplaying the 'northern powerhouse' thing but woudn't you want to upgrade and modernize a major rail route anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement