Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

Electric cars weigh up to twice as much as ICE ones. A vehicle tax based on weight, under the justification that heavier cars do more damage to our roads (which is true) wouldn't just limit the number of SUVs.

Umm, thats exactly the point. There's no reason for honking great big EV's. Its counter productive. Smaller EV's make a whole lot more sense. Other countries have already introduced this and more are looking to do, ourselves included

As for the rest of your post, I guess we'll have to wait and see but I think you're going to be disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

KiA Sportage diesel weighs 1.6 tonnes.

KiA Nero Ev with 64kw battery weighs 1.7 tonnes

Smaller cars would weigh less whether in BEV or ICE configuration

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Shoog

Nuclear will never happen. In the time and cost to develop it we would have installed far more renewables. For that we get a commodity that would be an export earner for most of the time.

Nuclear is dead in the water as far as Ireland is concerned and will get increasingly expensive as uranium demand outstrips supply.

It's the solution for people who don't think there is a problem to solve.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

We can't predict the weather 5 days from now with more than 70% accuracy due to the number of variables and that's with relatively known trends and behaviours. Yet we're supposed to believe that future projections are sufficiently accurate despite the complex interactions and significant variability?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭roosterman71

EU elections next year, big push back on the existing green deal. A lot can change in a short period of time and these court cases could be finished before they get going. If I was in power the first thing I'd be doing is ending this bullshit where the taxpayer foots the bill for cases related to the environment.

I'm surprised it isn't a picture of cattle with smokey chimneys in the background

Renewables are cheaper than Fossil fuels

Have you examples of where renewables are cheaper?

• Advertisement

EU elections next year, big push back on the existing green deal.

What do you see changing if the elections go the way you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭roosterman71

No idea, and there may be no change. There is a push back against the existing green deal within the EU. A lot will depend on the make up of the relevant parts of the EU following the elections.

You can't predict the exact weather in a specific location a week in advance, but we can make predictions about the weather with very high confidence. Eh, It will almost certainly be colder on average this October in Ireland than it was in August.

The reason weather is chaotic is because individual systems feed off each other, creating uncertainties when tracking these chain reactions over time. But the climate is not weather, it's not chaotic in the same way because the overall drivers of the climate are stronger than the individual weather events.

The climate drives the weather, the weather doesn't drive the climate. Heat and the earth's rotation drives atmospheric weather systems, and heat and salinity drive the oceanic currents that also transport heat around the planet. These can be mapped and modelled and while they're not simple, they're not as chaotic as weather systems are on human timescales. There is much more inertia in global climate giving us ample opportunity to fine tune our models to account for the most important variables, but we still acknowledge that there is uncertainty about how the climate will react to the increasing energy we are adding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

No thanks. Besides, it’s not votesvthey need, it’s a miracle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

(Akrasia:) Theres a big difference between being too cold and putting on a jumper and coat or living in a very well insulated house, and being too hot and... dying ...

The methods we have to shelter from the cold in winter involve insulating from the cold and heating an internal space. This can be done without electricity by burning fuel

In a deadly heatwave, what happens to the electricity system? Well, it often fails. Huge surges in demand for electricity as everyone has their air conditioning systems operating at maximum capacity all the time, coupled with reduced efficiency in thermal generators, (difficulties in cooling thermal and nuclear power plants as water temperatures are also likely to be high), solar power generators are also less efficient in very hot temperatures)....

The irony here is palpable. You admit that people can avoid death from cold by burning fuel ... yet that's exactly what you want to take away from them! Electrification of heating is a major Green goal. Just a few posts back I linked you a podcast where an entire city of millions of people -- who encounter freezing conditions every year -- are to be cast on the tender mercies of a grid that can't support them. Now you're telling me that electricity grids should never be depended upon in periods of high demand?

Billions of people depend on grid stability for their very lives. But you don't seem to have a problem with experimenting on them with crackpot energy schemes when it suits you. It can't be easy being a Green. You have to pretend you care about people who might die from "global boiling". Yet you also can't acknowledge that hundreds of millions have always lived with miserable temperature extremes -- people for whom massive increases in energy use are their only route to the comforts you take for granted.

(Akrasia:) The science is clear. Global warming will displace hundreds of millions of people due to rising temperatures. The number of displaced is directly correlated with how much warming we allow to happen.

Ah yes, that little catch-all phrase "the science is clear". It's a euphemism for "I'm about to make an outrageous assertion without evidence, and if you don't accept it you're a science denier who can't be reasoned with". The problem is, when I search the literature I can find claims about tens of millions, hundreds of millions (Myers), a billion (UN Org. for Migration), 1.2 billion (Inst. for Economics and Peace), 2 billion (Cornell University) -- the numbers are all over the place. Is that what you call "clear science"? They all trace their lineage back to one 1993 paper (Myers, 1993, “Environmental Refugees in a Globally Warmed World.” BioScience, vol. 43, no. 11, 1993, pp. 752–61). The original paper admitted to being highly speculative, but now it is mainstream to claim that not only are vast levels of climate displacement certain, it's already happening.

Unfortunately for these claims:

‘The evidence on climate change as a factor in migration to Europe and North America is incredibly weak,’ insists Jan Selby, professor of politics and international relations at the University of Sheffield. ‘Not only is there no evidence that climate change is the main factor – I don’t think there’s trustworthy evidence that it’s a factor at all. Indeed, I’d go so far as to say that climate-migration narratives are basically rooted not in evidence, but in racism.’ All those headlines should perhaps be taken, at best, with a pinch of salt, at worse as a form of scaremongering.

Or perhaps you would like it straight from the IPCC horse's mouth, from the AR4 report on Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability:

Estimates of the number of people who may become environmental migrants are, at best, guesswork.

You can read much more on all this here:

(Akrasia:) It's not too late to prevent most of the warming that we could end up with. We're watching right now, the exponential increase in Battery Energy storage which is a crucial piece of the puzzle in unlocking the renewable energy resources that will power our world in the future

Texas, for example, has deployed 5gw of storage in the last 3 months alone, with 22gw of additional storage in the pipeline, with a growth rate seeing storage capacity expand 22 times in the past 4 years

There's a reason I asked you to cite both power and energy in claims about battery storage. Of course people are building lots of battery storage. You can make a fortune by shifting small amounts of energy from periods of low demand to periods of high demand, even within a single day. As your own article says: "Developers can buy electricity for around $20 per megawatt-hour earlier in the day when it is plentiful, then sell that power back to the grid when supply is more limited for as much as $5,000 per megawatt-hour in the late afternoon". It's hardly surprising that private money is flocking to such ventures.

Figures on total energy stored are always harder to come by. Your article makes one oblique reference:

The U.S. energy storage market set a new quarterly record for installations in the second quarter, adding 5,597 megawatt-hours of storage resources across all sectors, according to Wood Mackenzie.

That's not battery storage -- that's all forms of storage. The total storage added in a calendar quarter by a country with 60 times our population is equal to less than one hour of peak demand in Ireland. We'd need 50 years of current US storage additions to get us through a cold winter's week when the wind isn't blowing and the sun isn't shining.

(Akrasia:) The same story is replicating around the world.

Renewables are cheaper than Fossil fuels, and with storage, that cheap energy can be deployed without having to worry about overloading the grid and is going to displace a lot of fossil fuel generation in the coming years

Unfortunately the same story is replicating around the world -- Greens making completely unsubstantiated claims about the viability of technologies that just can't hack it. Renewables are not cheaper than fossil fuels, even on a standalone basis. When you add in the extra grid and storage requirements ... well I'd like to say they are vastly more expensive, but it's worse than that: the technologies literally don't exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

I really don't know why you are still argueing and spend so much time and effort going into the details. You surely know their ideas run very shallow and they pluck a number out of the air to suit whatever argument they are putting forward. It is there trademark. What is the purpose?

I know his verbage is unreadable, so it's not swaying anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Auld Slapper

Very well argued, the Greens are all for us to row in behind the expert advice until it doesn't suit their narrative,

The minister is behind the initial €105m reopening of the Foynes Limerick railway, I say initial as the second phase is the signalling and the automated road crossings along the 45km route. We know anecdotally the crossing at a main busy road can cost up to €2m.

The costs we believe will spiral to well over €200m for this freight line, but here is the kicker; the green minister for transport stood up in the Dáil in February this year and said all the expert opinion on freight transport says it's not economically viable inside 300km. McKinsey wrote a report on the future of freight rail in Europe and guess what, not even a sentence on transport less than 300km.

Draw a 300km radius from Foynes and the only part of the island available is the Giants Causeway.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Auld Slapper

Wasn't allowed to post links so a few screenshots

There's a very valid attempt to promote rail as a way of reducing the inefficient dependance on cars. So some dick has proposed an unjustified and unviable project off the back of this legitimate effort to promote rail. So what - it doesn't invalidate the promotion of rail as a whole.

Using this sort of mistake as a way to rag on Greens is just a bit pathetic as it completely misses the point. The point is we have choked and polluted cities as a consequence of our car dependance, people cannot be economically active without owning a car, those who do not have a personal vehicle are locked out of much of society. Cars are a major contributor to Greenhouse gas emissions. These are the issues and a better rail network is at least part of the solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Go away with EV being green planet savior scam.

A new study has found that tens of millions of people worldwide are now exposed to toxic water runoff as a direct result of "green" metals mining operations.The reckless transition to "clean" energy has created an environmental disaster of epic proportions, the paper reveals.

In just the few short years that green energy has been a thing, harvesting it has already caused more ecological damage to the planet than has the more than 150 years' worth of drilling and mining for earth-based "fossil" fuels that has occurred since the industrial revolution.

What this means, of course, is that green energy is anything but clean, and is certainly not good for the environment. By comparison, earth-based fuels are much safer for the environment, not to mention cheaper and much more reliable for economic strength and prosperity.

All in all, some 23 million people worldwide – this is more than the number of people who live in the entire state of Florida – as well as 5.72 million heads of livestock; more than 16 million acres of irrigated farmland; and nearly 300,000 miles worth of rivers are all now contaminated by toxic byproducts of clean energy mining operations.

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.adg6704

Obviously if people are at risk of freezing to death and the electricity grid has failed, then they should burn something to stay warm.

Guess what doesn't work when the electricity goes off?

Your central heating system.

My point is, deadly cold is survivable without electricity, people can burn fuel to stay warm

Deadly heatwaves are already happening at about 1c of warming and for many, are not survivable without electricity and without access to expensive air conditioning systems (that lot of the world's most vulnerable population do not have access to) as the body cannot cool down by putting on more clothes or sheltering in the shade or moving out of danger....

Without transitioning away from fossil fuels, we'll see 3c of warming by the end of the century, and that guarantees millions of additional deaths and a lot of displaced people.

Lough Neagh becoming a 400km septic tank, jesus

RTE news : Warning it could take decades to halt Lough Neagh algae

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Discussion re rising motor fuel costs on radio this morning and that they'll approach €2 a litre soon enough.

I think I just heard a government rep state on same that he didn't know what effect rising carbon taxes would have on the price of a litre but he thought it was inconsequential.

If that's where we're at with the people who make taxation policy in this country, it shows they are totally out of touch with the lot of the common citizen. They have to be turfed out of office till they learn the basics again.

"Guess what doesn't work when the electricity goes off? Your central heating system."

?? Our heating system works fine when the electricity goes, thank you very much. We use solid fuel stoves burning renewable firewood and coal, grand heat and with a natural circulation of water from the boiler to radiators upstairs. You don't know much about how many rural houses are heated traditionally??

• Advertisement

BNM making decent progress on bog restoration around the country.

The have a 5 year 33,000ha target and have 14,000ha done so far with 5,000ha done in the last year.

It's not enough but it's a good start

Carbon tax accounts for about 2 cents on a liter of petrol at the moment. By 2030 it will be 4 cents

It's a complex problem, but just goes to show that stopping abusing a natural system is often not enough to solve the problems of pollution.

We still have heavily polluted soils from the simple fact that we put lead in our petrol - that will never go away. Just one example of so many unforseen consequences of accepting pollution.

Duty and market fluctuations swamp the contribution of carbon taxes, so yes he was been factual.

Ah your right, I misread the last increase as the total.

That's encouraging, I was disappointed when I saw it was so small.

So that means it'll be around 24 cents a litre by 2030. Much more likely to encourage modal switching at that rate or switching to EV'S for those who must drive. Based on the rate of growth of EVs presently it appears to be working in this regard

Post 2030 it's likely to be increased to 15 cent annual increases too which will encourage further switching.

It's a bit of a sticking plaster and I am sure they are not approaching it in the rather expensive way needed. Are they reseeding with spagnum or are they simply blocking the drainage ditches to bare rock areas. A real bit of greenwash I suspect - managing their vast estate in the cheapest way possible.

This platform is terrible for responding to long posts because I can't even copy from the original post to respond individually on a mobile device, but now that I'm on a laptop, I can respond to some of your points in more detail

The Numbers are not as 'all over the place' as you claim. You mentioned Myers figure at '10s of Millions' when he later said 200 million displaced by 2050, and your claim that all of the subsequent estimates on displacement are based on this original paper is also false, there have been many independent studies that used different methodologies to estimate the likely number of people who will be displaced due to climate change, including this one

Groundswell Report (worldbank.org) which puts the number at 215 million, and that only includes internally displaced people from 6 regions, not including the total number of climate refugees who will move across borders covering the whole world

The reason for the variation in the numbers across studies is, because the estimates are all based on scenarios, different timeframes, looking at different catchment areas and with different criteria for what counts as displacement, and the scenarios dependent on multiple factors, including how much warming we allow to occur, and how much resources are spent on mitigation where possible. If we limit warming to 1.5c or 2c (unlikely at this point) then the number of displaced people will be much lower than if we allow the warming to creep up to 3c and beyond

Rather than me point at studies that show hundreds of millions of people will be displaced of which there are many, instead of you claiming I am making 'outrageous assertions without evidence', can you find me a single study from a reputable source that says climate change of 3c will not result in hundreds of millions of displaced people?

And the claim that there are vast numbers of displacement already happening is not misleading. There are already happening, with 32 million people displaced in 2022 directly related to weather events. Not all of them are permanently displaced, but this is just in one year, and we're a long way from 2050 yet.

On Energy storage:

How does this count as a rebuttal to my point? It is very profitable to buy energy when the price is high, and sell it when the price is low

This is exactly why BESS is exploding and we will see more and more storage coming online in the coming years.

As more and more variable renewable power comes on stream, this storage will serve as a valuable intermediary between demand and supply. We'll get away from 'Baseload' power vs Peak power, and we'll see renewable power being stored and sold as needed to meet demand. This will push Thermal plants completely out of the day to day grid operations but they will still play a role in long term backup, where they can be activated for the 10% or 5% of the time when storage is not enough. Eventually the demand and supply will balance out in the short term, and then large profits will be available for longer term storage until even long term energy storage becomes cheaper than keeping thermal plants on standby for the rarer and rarer times when they will be needed.

Asking for raw figures in terms of how many MW we need, or MWh is not really useful because the numbers are absolutely enormous, and that makes it seem like a mammoth task, but the numbers are enormous no matter how you look at it. If you told someone 60 years ago a single thermal plant would have to burn 40 thousand tonnes of coal a day to provide 2gw of electricity, they might have told you that's too much and it can't be done... well, now we're trying to replace those impossible feats of engineering with a more sustainable model, instead of burning millions of tonnes of fuel a year, we need to install millions of tonnes worth of BESS facilities, and then use that infrastructure to provide grid services for decades to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Rubbing my hands with glee here...watch them flat earthers squirm. Hopefully Ill be able to view from the comfort of my laptop run off solar energy...bliss

• Advertisement

A vast estate they were given freely by the Land Commission, in other cases bought by the state who wiped the eyes of local people who couldn't put up large money for tracts that came for sale.

The bogs then drained and raped of all resources. Now cut away, worthless and this body now using public funding to greenwash their sins and generate new revenue streams.

Advertisement