Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any reason left not to go smart meter?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

2 days gone, still not live...

@irishchris have you found them a balls to deal with or am I just unlucky?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Legally customers can't be forced to use activate a smart meter, so they need a smart meter that is compatible with the current D/N plans but also capable of switching to a smart plan if the customer chooses. That's what the new smart D/N meter provides

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

My smart D/N meter is being installed on 10/10,just arranged it with TLI, will have to see which plan suits me best.

You can stay on your current tariff for as long as you want, but once you switch to a smart plan there's no going back

I wouldn't be in any hurry if your current tariff is working for you, wait for it to expire and then look at what's available

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭irishchris

Just wondering what is the model number for the smart day night meter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Niceday20

ESB Networks advised me smart D/N model is an RM108

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Picture of a RM108 meter (stolen from FB). Exactly as @tomslick described.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭championc

I've still no live data.

I wonder if this is down to the issue of changing suppliers, which I posted about previously, when I lost ESBN access

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

No data here either in the Pinergy app and I switched to Pinergy on 04/09/2023

Data has been in the ESB website (up to a few days before the current day) for several weeks now though

So it's blind faith then that you guys are actually on Pinergy rates??

• Advertisement

Pinergy confirmed to me on the phone many times that once they see you on their system (from their side), you're on their tariffs. That I am on the Cooline plan and that my €100 bonus will be applied to my second bill. They promised to email me all this 4 times, but that never happened 🙄

Energia retention team rang me back ages ago to get me to come back, but I refused. So they told me I had to pay the €50 contract break fine

So I don't know 100% that I am with Pinergy and on the correct plan, but I'd be 99% confident. And if not, they will be in some serious trouble 😁

Well I have my final Energia bill. For now, I have been partially screwed by them, because they have done a closing estimated bill of 46 units, so I will need to wait until I can get the Pinergy Smart Readings to PROVE my actual Meter Reading on the day of transfer ....... or maybe I won't be able to 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Brian4562

What are peoples thoughts on a scenario like this:

Solar installer installed standard inverter and that was placed on the NC6 say its a 4KW inverter. Then that person installed a AC inverter such as sofar me3000. I know some folk may have a setup like this. Technically the output of both inverters exceed the 25 amp limit for a NC6. The home owner does not update the NC6 to include the sofar me3000.

ESB will see excess export leakage on meters from the battery in the evening time, as CT clamps are not perfect. On paper that house does not have battery capable inverter per the NC6 form.

I suppose its anyone guess how the ESB would action this if they became aware. Thoughts, is it a concern?

When it comes to having an existing solar system which has a standard inverter having the option to leave it alone and just add a AC battery has its advantage like not stepping on the initial installers toes if another electrician installs the AC battery for you.

I do think the pros of getting measured export will be the tipping point for me as the deems export is alot lower then what I would get based on my export over the past few years.

Or am I wrong can you have a 4KW inverter grid tie inverter and a Sofar me3000 on a NC6🙃

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

that 4kw inverter could be connected to wind or hydro, hence the export when dark...

But if you ever end up exporting more than 6kw, thats something that could raise flags etc.

Forget about anything written on the NC6 - that's completely irrelevant now.

All you now have to do is to ensure you never export over 5kW

To be more precise, never export more than 3kWh in any 30 minute slot as recorded by your smart meter

If that happens, ESB will notice and they will withdraw any FIT payments until you get your system re-certified

• Registered Users Posts: 45,394 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

No summer holidays 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

How about us which are on the 6kwh inverter as per NC6?

Thought this only applies to new connections?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Brian4562

Could you elaborate more on this. I know there was a discussion on another thread about if you have micro inverters on your solar install and you add a few more it may not be necessary to notify ESB about the extra (As its under the 25 amps)

Honestly I wonder how much ESBN audit the export units. It kind of seems they'd only start looking if for example there was an issue with voltage rise in a particular area

• Advertisement

For the folks who got told deemed export is ending, how did you find out? I haven't received anything in the post beyond the first letter saying I'm eligible for a Smart D/N meter

The amount on an NC6 only meant something if you were getting Deemed Export. This is ending now.

So even if your NC6 says 1.5kW inverter, you can still blast away up to 5.5kW / 25A.

In other words, do they care that you are blasting out 25A when you only have 1.5kW installed - NO !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭irishchris

They are good to deal with generally but for certain things you have to be persistent and refuse to come off phone until they pass you through to someone who understands the issue otherwise they will fob you off, similar to most Irish customer service departments unfortunately.

Once get through to more senior customer service they generally resolve issues or pass it up the ladder. Normally quick response when passed up too with emails following day. Only issue which took a lot of back and forth was getting the balance refunded to account

From memory though I think it took about a week for the account to show up in the app for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

do they care that you are blasting out 25A when you only have 1.5kW installed - NO !!!

Its really only for local grid planning. They do care. They dont want a bunch of houses connected to a transformer blasting out 25A at the same time without their knowledge.

The smart meters will give them that data now anyway, so if there is a chance of a transformer being overloaded or high voltages they might come knocking!

Well my payment date is set for the 10th so I suppose something has to move by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭jasgrif11

@championc are you in credit already?😂

• Registered Users Posts: 45,394 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Waiting on championc's bill...

• Advertisement

You'll look far more sad than Pablo when you eventually get to see his bill 😀

Advertisement