Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

TBH you have a car and a commercial vehicle on the farm policy depending on the value of your mother's car it may have been hard to justify another.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭green daries

They're close to themselves money wise but they have great backing knowledge wise as everyone is talking to everyone else up and down the country

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I’m with a national accountancy crew. The fella I’m dealing with is young and he seems to think he’s working for Revenue rather than me. I’ve had to go thru all my receipts, the spreadsheet I keep, and bank statements to correct mistakes he made in the figures. Simple stuff too, like including Jan-2023 costs in the 2022 accounts, and questioning every single cash payment when receipts matched with cash withdrawals in the bank statement.

I spoke to an independent accountant but his practice is being bought by the national crew!

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭green daries

I think it's a personality trait in accountants 🤔🤔🤔..

Also a job in revenue is the dream for most of them

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I don't think we ll have to worry too much about tax soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

ingredients are written in descending order on label of bag or delivery docket blown in.However i dont know how to verify hats whats actually in the meal

Id be very cautious of ltd company itvwas all the go last year cus of big profits which may never be seen for years.Your accounts will cost more to do alot.Any money you take out you have to pay income tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,200 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

That’s why you need to go talk to an actual accountant with an expertise in the area ….company structure isn’t something you jump into ideally you would give 1/2 years lining things up before …..if your happy paying good chunk of your tax at 50 plus % fine but why not avail of 12.5% …yes more accountancy charges but so be it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

The tax savings of being in a company last year would cover the extra accounting costs for the next twenty years

How will you take the money out of the company the money isnt yours its the companies .go on take it out and pay income tax .Accountants loved farmers going for it xtra money for them. income averaging was a better route to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

There is a recent thread discussing all this you should look up so no point rehashing here but to your specific point... the company pays me a wage up to lower tax bracket limit and after that I have access to a directors loan account from which I can withdraw money tax free. Most people would have built up 500k plus in this account.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,200 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Are you an accountant now as well ……benefits of income averaging go in time as well …..you don’t appear to know huge ammount only hear say in this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Plus when you retire from the company, you can take a massive lump sum (can't remember the exact figure) tax free

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Niallers87

some of you may also find it useful to know that due to changes in the Finance Act this year and the removal of BIK for companies, directors of companies can also find any amount into a PRSA, this can be another method of getting money out of a company and would also be there for drawdown in retirement

TBF his opinions may be different but they is not to say they have no validity. Too many are starting to let accountants and consultants run there businesses.

You would want a substantial medium to long term tax issue to go the company route. @daiymann 5 is correct in his assertion that anything in the company is not your it's a different entity.

@Windsurfer directors loans are basically capital allowances transferred into the company. There is no magic wand about Dal's they do not magically exist unless you put cash you already have or CA's I to the company.

@Injuryprone the 750k exists no matter if it's a company or a sole trader. But I wonder how many will really use it. How many will build up and key a cash reserve there of 750k to withdraw.

The other disadvantage is with inheritance down the line. You could/ will have a situation where you have a farm outside a company and significant assets within the company, cattle, machinery, maybe significant CA's build up again etc that you could have problems splitting amount your children.

Now and again revenue publish data regarding tax and you see maybe the top 100 having paid a couple million each. These are individuals withdrawing money through dividends from companies generally as there is no other way of getting it out

If you leave cash in a company you need it to have an investment return of 10+% per years. A 50k tax bill at the allowing that you pay about 7.1k in tax, PRSI and USC to use up you lower tax rate( this is also presuming you spouse has use there tax credits lower tax band will be an 18k bill+ extra accountancy and filing charges. The saving of 30k is substantial but it predicates that you do not have other drawings

Remember as well as capital allowances do not transfer in so 12.5% has to be paid on them as well. Assuming you had 25kyear (200k)n capital allowances this would add slightly over 3k/ year to the tax bill so in reality a 50 k bill would be halved.

Over paying into a pension is not necessarily a good thing. Again you are taxed on exit. I be paying the high rate of tax on my pension at present if I drew it down. So you could be shifting it from one tax issue to another and it impossible to shield pension income.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

A load of Jersey cross cows not in calf straight from the parlour in Gortatlea today making 1 Euro per KG.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

The pension thing is rubbish for a 30yr old youll have to wait 35 yrs u wouldnt want to be in a panic for cash along the way.By the way im not an accountant but instruct my accountant what to do if it was left to her id be on the road.She couldnt care less all i hear from her is going holidays going away weekend blah bla bla does me head in she does

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Jack98

That is some of the greatest advice you could give a young person don’t bother with a pension…good god….

Yes in my early twenties i took out a large loan bank manager wanted mevto start pension so i was borrowing money paying intrest then waiting 45 years for money back.Yous were all brainwashed last year about companies just see the mess yous will end up im just like derogation

• Advertisement

I knowca lad milking 40 cows started a company last year his accounts bil will be higher than his tax this year

Starting a pension in your early 20s is good advice from that bank manager, the earlier you start to contribute to a pension the better. Throwing money at one when you’re the wrong side of 50 will yield little return for larger investment.

I would advise all young people to fund a pension. Time is on your side. However there is no point in over funding a pension and when you are young you need money to buy a house etc.

However thinking that unlimited pension finding through a PRSA solves a tax issue is not entirely correct.

You can take the first 25% tax free to 200k, after that you pay 20% on the next 300k. You would need a fund of 2 million to do that.

You then have 1.5 million left happy days but the drawdown rules are 4%/year before 70 years of age & 5% after.

@,4% you will be drawing , 60k/ year you will be in the high tax bracket after 40 K and that is presuming you have no other income.

@5% on a million it's 50kyear and the OAP will bring you up near the 65k mark.

Funding a pension much beyond a million, in today's terms cause it's own tax problem. Just as an aside the nursing home will get a good chunk of it as well

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

An accountant is not like a coop..

You are allowed to move to another one.

I know you don't want advise...but you should..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

Has he or his spouse maxed out tax credits through off farm earnings?

Paying his accountant more than his tax bill could very well be a big win..

Where are all these million going to come from milk heading sub 30 cents

My pension plan is lease the farm to some greedy dairy farmer whos neefs land be allowed milk cows tax free you could not beat it why would i need to lock money away for 30 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

Thats 450 each. Any decent holstein will be north of 1000. Then there is the fertility nonsense, thought jersey cross were supposed to be easy to get in calf.

But you will have an income more than likely greater than what you invested after paying that tax on withdrawal each year if you had a steady earning pension set up from your early 20s, I wasn’t saying to over contribute but to have a pension plan in place early in your 20s even with a fixed amount deposited each month that could be reviewed every few years would be a prudent move regardless of tax issues on withdrawal down the line.

• Advertisement

Can’t see that tax free leasing lasting anyway that was a mechanism to make land available to farmers which won’t be a necessity anymore. Judging by your posts on here your tax bill for this year will be quite substantial if you’re making little to bo pension contributions and you’re an established large dairy farm as you say….you could do a lot worse then making some sort of a proper pension plan.

Advertisement