Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭boccy23

Up to the episode 6 I was the same. Thought the ending was brutal. Very rushed and made no sense in terms of how he ended up doing that. Also never got to develop why Hannah did what she did. An 8 episode season would have been better to explore the development of these characters into what they were. Had great potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Still the best thing they’ve put out this year I think……..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Yes 100% agree and I wouldn't recommend the series after watching the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Watched Tapie over the last couple of nights. An enjoyable enough French miniseries about a man I admit I've never heard of but I would imagine a fair few football fans would know. Glossed over the major stuff a bit, but it was a good watch all the same.

Post edited by holly_johnson on

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

I've started watching the Korean reality gameshow The Devil's Plan.

This is the spiritual successor to the Korean cult hit The Genius and works in a similar way. A mixture of celebrities and intelligent civilians compete in a series of complex social strategy games, whilst living together. What sets these shows apart from others like it (e.g. Survivor, Big Brother US, The Traitors) is the use of creative editing, such as non-linear storytelling and concealment of certain players intentions in real time. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys these type of shows.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Wes Anderson's Wonderful World of Henry Sugar adaptation is out on Netflix now (40 mins), with three other Roald Dahl shorts to follow - one per day until Saturday :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I happened across Run Rabbit, Run recently. It looks like it's going to be a bunch of bad Creepy Child tropes strung together, but it felt to me more like a minor companion piece to The Babadook - grief is a thematic strand running through the film, with a focus on a mother whose child has been affected by a recent death in the family.

The direction and central performances are its strengths - narratively the similarity to films like The Babadook and Hereditary is notable at moments. (In the film's defence, nothing in it comes close to being as bad as either Smile or Come Play, both films that were IMO far more brazen in what and how much they lifted from other, better films).

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Elenor6

Love on the Spectrum

• Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Jeepers I can't imagine that being comfortable...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Computer says "No". Though I think you're referring to sex (not they that they have to be a binary option).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭jj880

Not if you're Rick Dangerous with a Jet Set Willy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭jj880

Who Killed Jill Dando is a good watch.

I do enjoy true crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

That's unexpected; felt like it ended as a full set. Did find it better than Squid Game.

No spoiler but there was a wee hint at end of the last season it might come back, but yeah it didnt seem to have the cultural impact of squid game, but the algorithm must have showed it easy worth keeping (I liked it better too).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It did end in the same way as the original Manga pretty much. So they're now venturing into new territory. I did like the final twist that opened up this possibility (that wasn't, I believe, in the source material).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Huh, that's kind of weird - I really liked the first season but found the second to be all over the place, with some real pacing issues where one moment an episode stretches a 2-minute interval interminably but the next it seems like weeks have passed somehow. Felt very much like they didn't have enough material properly developed for a full season.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I agree about the second series being all over the place. It also wrapped up reasonably well (I didn't like the ending, but at least it had one)

That said, I'll still watch a third series 😋

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Watched the Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar: obviously being Wes Anderson you ain't gonna get much from it if you already hate the guy, or tire from his aggressive whimsy ... but that was really fun.

It was kinda like Asteroid City structurally in having that meta, play-in-a-play construction, but was a much livelier, optimistic kinda tale. Benedict Cumberbatch & Dev Patel were naturals for an Anderson vehicle, and it really does seem like any pretence of verisimilitude has been truly abandoned by the director - we're a long way from the comparatively naturalistic The Royal Tenenbaums. His film just openly saying "these are fictional constructs, it's all scenery on a stage"

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Have it, The Swan and The Ratcatcher added to my list. Might watch at the weekend.

Think I've only seen a few Wes Anderson films, including Fantastic Mr Fox and Ísle of Dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I would also say that it truly put paid to this lingering myth that Anderson's movies are these frozen, static tableaus - exemplified by those tedious "X but Wes Anderson" AI videos. Henry Sugar really moved, and watching Dev Patel recite the book's text while booking it down a corridor was a sight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've watched the three Anderson shorts released so far, and thought they were all terrific. I always caveat my Wes Anderson praise with the caveat that I'm a fan, so other's mileage may vary. But they're all really inventive films, adding a lot of new texture, ideas and creative dynamism to Anderson's familiar arsenal. The way they all play with in-film narration and perspective is a particular delight to behold - Henry Sugar is the most obviously inventive in terms of its nesting sets and stories, but there are lots of very clever choices in the others in terms of what Anderson chooses to depict, and how he chooses to depict them. There are especially some very dramatic stylistic swings in the latter half of Rat Catcher which were very entertaining to behold. The colour palettes are also a lot more subtle and understated - almost more Roy Andersson than Wes Anderson at times!

I love Fantastic Mr Fox, but I also appreciate how the three shorts really delve into Dahl's more devilish, darker sense of humour. The latter two in particular have some nasty stings in their respective tails. Although Ralph Fiennes is straight-up hilarious in Rat Catcher.

Looking forward to Poison, but this little experiment has been a delight to watch so far.

It's also been a surprise in that I would have thought NEtflix's era of indulging auteurs to do whatever they want, was over? Maybe they just didn't see much "Four Quadrant" potential in these short stories and figured they'd throw them to Anderson, a noted Dahl enthusiast.

It is a strange one - there was the suggestion Netflix would be at least scaling back on auteur projects, but they're still trickling out. As you say, in this case it may simply have been the Dahl / Anderson combo was too hard to resist. It does seem Anderson was interested in adapting Henry Sugar for quite some time too.

I'm curious whether there was ever the intention for this to be an anthology feature, or how the process settled on four shorts. They're very much of a piece, with recurring elements (like Fiennes as Dahl, the direct narration, and the stage hands appearing on screen). I do think they work very well as shorts though - a rare case of leveraging the Netflix release model - as they're all pretty fast and dense and would be a lot to consume in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Looking forward to watching Reptile tonight, looks right up my street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Great stuff. I was having a look on some streaming sites as to what I would throw on tonight. Never heard of this, but a quick google there tells me this sounds like the perfect job for a Friday night and a few cool cans of heineken. Looking forward to it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Nice one. I was having a looking online earlier to see what was going to be my fancy for tonights viewing. Nothing really jumped out at me.

I had never heard of Reptile, but it looks the business for a Friday night with a few cool beers.

It generally seems like good results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I wouldn’t really describe them as kids films - Henry Sugar is definitely the most family-friendly of them, but Rat Catcher and The Swan are darker Dahl stories for sure. Nothing ‘unsuitable’ per say - they’ve been given PG guidance - but they have some violent, bleak moments. I remember reading some of that older-skewing Dahl stuff when I was 10-12, but probably too weird and dark for younger kids. The latter two are only 17 mins each so worth having a look at one yourself and making a call.

All that said, they are quite idiosyncratic films, so definitely couldn’t say how much kids will enjoy or appreciate what Anderson is up to here! Definitely for the Dahl and Anderson aficionados above all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭brevity

I remember one of his short stories was about a hitchhiker, any one know if there will be an episode about that.

I really enjoyed it

Advertisement