Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists' responsibility for their own safety *warning* infractions given liberally for trolling etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,213 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The sweeping generalisation was demolished as it was based on a nonsensical interpretation of statistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Madd Finn

Can you identify one driver who has killed "three or four people" in a single week, let alone every week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

1) How many hiviz panels do you have on your vehicle?

2) Why would you think it's acceptable to drive a vehicle with blindspots on a public road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭SeanW

I'm sure you're delighted to have such a good cudgel to use against the other 2.8m+ drivers in Ireland who weren't involved. You have no idea what caused the accident, but I doubt it matters. Now, can you be more specific about which of Ireland's 2.m+ drivers you're accusing of "killing 3 or 4 people every week?"

Maybe I can help you out a little, as I said before, when last the RSA published statistics, just over 2.8 million people had some kind of Irish license or permit with the vast majority, a little over 2.5 million, being or including Full Category B (car). Some Irish drivers have emigrated, and some people drive on Irish roads with foreign licenses.

Most of these drivers never have been or never will be even involved in a fatal incident, let alone the cause of one. Of those who have or ever will be involved in a fatal incident, some will have been the cause of said incidents, and some will not have been culpable, likely being in the wrong place at the wrong time. The best available information we have indicates that this group includes 70% of the drivers involved in vehicle-pedestrian collisions.

So perhaps you can clarify which of Ireland's drivers you are accusing here?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭kirving

1. Car colour does influence collision rates. Why do you think marked Garda cars are yellow, and most unmarked are neutral, common colours? Yes the yellow ones still get hit by inattentive motorists, but that's a different problem.

2. Did I say it was acceptable? In fact I've spent my entire career making technology which reduces and mitigates vehicle blindspots.

Care to address the study I linked rather than be a smart arse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

How is an "inattentive" driver hitting a bright yellow stripped emergency vehicle with flashing lights a "different" problem.

Because those drivers wouldn't notice if a nuclear bombs went off in front of them. ie: I'm well aware, and agree that if you don't look, you won't see.

But clearly, according to the study I posted, hi-vis does make a difference. It makes a difference to those who are looking.

Only skimmed the report. Theres a lot unpack in that. It's also hard to interpret.

That study has says the effect is of high Vis is lessened when in a groups so they didn't focus on that. Which seems odd if it causes everyone to wear hi-viz. Also said there were less single person accidents wearing a hi-viz. It also talks a lot about bias.

When I cycle I wear Hi-Viz. Never thought it made any difference. Still wore it, just for practical reasons. Getting better lights I could see a different reaction from drivers.

Though tbh I thought better routes and roadcraft made the most difference.

• Advertisement

Those who are looking aren't the problem though. It's those who aren't.

So you've fitted hiviz panels on your vehicle, presumably? You do practice what you preach, right?

You conveniently omitted any mention of responsibility of the vehicle owner to eliminate blind spots.

I'm not preaching anything, the scientists who wrote the study have comes to a conclusion which you don't like, so you're deflecting, as usual.

I don't think anyone should be blamed for being hit, if they wear black clothing, and are otherwise using good lights. But the science is clear.

For what it's worth, I used dipped beams at all times (no "auto-lights" rubbish which are notoriously unreliable in rain/low sun). I specifically bought a car with factory upgraded LED lights, and avoided a dark colored car since my last one didn't stand out as much as I thought it could.

Care to comment on the study I posted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭SeanW

Plus every car marketed in the EU after 2011 has Daytime Running Lights. DRLs fill the same role as hi-vis might for a cyclist.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

...and thankfully DRLs have ensured that no cars sold after 2011 have ever been hit by another driver. Problem solved👍

With all the high profile accidents with cars this year, it's likely the attention of road of road safely will be on cars.

"However, it is alarming to see a reversal in this trend, and we are working hard to deliver and reprioritise certain actions within the Government’s ten-year (2021-2030) Road Safety Strategy."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Like a lot of cyclists, I usually wear bright clothing not because I think it has much effect on the chance of being hit, but because if I am hit while wearing dark clothing, I'll be blamed no matter who is at fault.

The person who hits me will probably be the person who has not looked; rather than the person who has looked and not seen.

Theres a certain Irony in some people not being able to see the limitations of hi Viz.

They are trying to hold back the tide. Theres now more segrated cycle lanes than ever, dedicated road space taken away from cars that will do far more than any vest.

You're not going to get someone who refuses to use a light at night to wear a vest. It's up to the cops to enforce the law. Which they didn't do in this case. This is a story that hits every branch on the road safety tree.

So what is the reason for the marked reduction in collisions in the study?

I don't necessarily like the result, or think for a second that it should be mandatory, or that it changes any hierarchy or responsibly - but whatever the reason, the net result is fewer collisions.

• Advertisement

That's not the claim. Making it black and white to try to undermine someones point isn't reasonable.

It's about introducing behaviours, road design, equipment which first reduce the risk of a collision, and secondly reduce the risk of injury should one occur.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Having recently listened to a podcast which dealt with (among other things) the difficulty of getting approval for research, I was struck by them being allowed to proceed with allocating dark clothing to cyclists, given that it was obviously a goal of the research to determine if that placed them in more danger.

Provided that the idiot behind the wheel knows how to use them.

Once the dark evenings come in, I'll see one or two drivers each day with no back lights because they don't know how their DRLs work. When I tell them about, they generally react with great confusion. I remember the Lexus driver telling me that he'd been driving like this for eight months, all through winter, since he bought the car. I've seen in with Garda cars too, squad car and unmarked.

This is why all cars should have mandatory hiviz panels on all sides. When are drivers going to take responsibility for being seen?

They weren't allocated dark clothing, just not provided with a yellow jacket is all.

There are always moral hazards like that for researchers, particularly with the likes of new medical procedures.

The fundamental premise of most studies, is that the proponents believe that it will work. Unless of course they entered the study trying to disprove the hypothesis.

Retrospective research is more difficult, but with fewer moral hazards of course.

It of course has to be looked at in context of standing out relative to the environment/others, or that we reach a situation whereby drivers *only* look for yellow jackets, which would be counter productive too.

The weaknesses of the Danish study, particularly the reliance on self reporting, were well teased out in the hiviz megathread.

It's hard to take hiviz shaming of cyclists seriously from those who are driving black and navy cars around.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

DRLs were used based on the analysis that dipped/dims reduced vehicle collision rate. They are though, oddly enough, not as effective as dipped/dims as they rarely include rear lights being on at the same time and numerous drivers driving round at night thinking their lights are on when effectively only their front parking lights are on. It's a weird one but I do wonder have they made urban driving less safe.

yeah, IIRC it's a factor in surveys which rely on self-reporting that people are naturally inclined to give feedback which they think the researchers are expecting?

They remarked on that in this study. It improved accidents with only a single person. Implying Their behaviour changed for the study. Also the people likely to get involved in a study would be disproportionately inclined to be take safety more seriously.

there was a (flawed) study from italy which claimed to show little difference after a mandatory hi-vis law was introduced in italy:

AFAIK it just tracked total numbers of incidents, without much regard for conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,570 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

The fact that cars are (i) much larger than bicycles and (ii) generally moving much faster makes them inherently far more visible to the human eye than smaller, slower moving bikes. Call it 'auto hi viz' if you like.

But of course you already know this but prefer to engage in bizarre twists of logic in order to absolve cyclists of any modicum whatsoever of responsibility to help keep themselves safe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement