Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

Come down to Turners cross

Normally guaranteed a comedy of errors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Did this ever get added? Can't find it on the search

• Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Netflix reddit guys did a bit of looking into to it and it seems like its not happening now.

It was supposed to be released on 26th September and this was a really exciting time for fans worldwide, especially those who don’t have HBO Max/Max in their countries. Well now they seem to have dropped it from their “Coming Soon” section. What a bummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was just looking at what was upcoming for October on Netflix for Halloween thinking they did Fear Street a couple years ago and can't remember if they did anything last year.

Didn't see anything that caught my interest, horror wise and Oct 31st has some comedy special being added.

But looking at my list, any opinions on the Slasher series?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭jj880

Enjoyed it. Nothing really new in it but definitely worth a watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I watched Liebes Kind ( Dear Child ) and really enjoyed it

I watched The Nurse , a Danish series based on a true story and its a shocking story

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Free state of Jones is a good watch about slavery in the US around the late 1800s.

Some cracking fight scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I think that Guillermo Del Toro Cabinet of Curiosities came out day by day around Halloween.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Ah yeah that's what came out last year.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The Fear Street films came out in the summer, weirdly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Really enjoyed Reptile. There was a realism about it that I’ve never seen in other cop movies before and thought the cinematography was first class, again it seems to break a few boundaries. Storyline was ok. 8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 16 McDougal2

Slow moving and you have to pay attention to all the actors. There's a bit of a twist toward the end but it didn't float my boat.

Yeah it is a stunning looking film with a definite grittiness to it. When I said nothing new I was talking mainly about the plot. Timberlake plays a certain type of character very well. His performance in The Social Network was good also. Timberlake just being Timberlake. Not much acting needed 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I didn't think Reptile was great. Very basic story that was somehow dragged out for 145 minutes. It passed the night, but was average enough overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Reptile was OK ish. Could have been a bit shorter and the ending wasn't great. Watchable if you've nothing else to do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

The Jill Dando documentary is well done even if it has no new evidence. Barry George and his sister are portrayed very sympathetically. Cork looks well.

It is clear that the police framed Barry George because they needed a result from the biggest investigation in British history. He was the least likely assassin but he was also the most vulnerable guy near the crime scene. Mike Mansfield KC adds this to his list of miscarriages of British justice.

The cops are not looking for anyone else so her killer can breathe easy and pursue his murderous career.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am not sure I feel entirely comfortable with a documentary portraying Barry George sympathetically given his history tbh, might give it a miss. Multiple convictions for indecent assaults, assault and attempted rape....nope.

The fact is his claim for compensation was also rejected, there is a reasonable chance he did it from what I have read.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Finished up Wes Anderson's little selection of Roald Dahl stories and they were rather wonderful: perfect if you like Anderson but find his style too much for a feature-length story. Poison and Henry Sugar were the two standout stories, but they all had their charms, tones and approaches.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I think their big one for October is the new Mike Flanagan - The Fall of the House of Usher

*edit - October 12th release

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Having loved all four of the shorts - which really are a nice little package when combined too given the recurring ideas / characters / aesthetics - they are in some ways the ideal form of a worthwhile Netflix project. A form factor that really doesn’t quite suit other release models. A prominent director playing around with new ideas on a slightly smaller budget / canvas. Shorter, more bespoke running times.

Not that short films from a major director are a new idea or anything silly like that, but as far as taking advantage of some of the unique benefits of a streaming release… I think this particular set of shorts was a real winner. Thought they were all delightful, although I think Rat Catcher was the one that I enjoyed most in the end :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

He was a very disturbed man, a stalker guilty of despicable sexual offences, living alone in utter squalor. The clip of his attempt to jump in roller skates over four buses is fascinating and horrifying, 40 years before TikTok challenges.

He simply could not be the ruthless, methodical assassin who murdered Jill Dando with a specially adapted gun and a crimped bullet and then vanished into thin air. The only evidence linking him to the crime was a single speck of discharge residue found in his coat pocket a year after the murder. Another "triumph" of British forensic science, second only the Annie Maguire's bomb factory. Just don’t expect a “mea culpa” from the Met.

He seems a very different man today, judging by this documentary. I think his sister's love and tireless support saved him, not only from an unjust conviction but from a life of desolation. And credit also to Cork. That message of redemption is part of the documentary's attraction.

Post edited by Caquas on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

How did they get Alex Ferguson to appear on Netflix talking about David Beckham in his biopic? That was some diplomacy.

Not a footie fan but that was really good.

Yeah it was a good watch. He's got heart on the pitch. A born winner.

They should just stop talking about the affair stuff though. Either deny it or just leave it alone.

The way they talk about it makes me think he did have an affair but wont admit it as it would embarrass Victoria and hurt the earning power of the Beckham wholesome family brand. I reckon they paid off your woman with a hefty bag of cash and she signed an NDA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Season 3 of Lupin is out. Watched the first couple of episodes last night. Totally far fetched stuff, but it's good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,589 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes enjoyed it, raised my opinion on him a lot.

The pressure he must have been under after getting sent off against Argentina and just being 23 with the media and pretty much everyone targetting him, even a pub putting a mannequin of him with a noose around his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭flasher0030

They are a funny lot, those brits. When he was playing for Man Utd, English people (other than Man U followers) booed him. Then he plays with England, the same booing supporters cheer him. Then he gets sent off against Argentina, the same people boo him for a few years and literally hate him. Then he scores a free kick winner against the mighty Greece and the same supporters (who booed him, then loved him, then booed him) love him again and cheer his name from the rooftops.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭appledrop

First episode was brilliant, my husband wouldnt watch it but will now when I told him it was basicially a trip down memory lane for Man Utd fans and Posh wasn't in it for 1st half an hour😄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

There is a lot left out of that Netflix documentary. Felt very rushed at the end. George was an absolute gun nut and complete fantasist who had a history of fabricating wild stories and having friends in high places including "that lady from Crimewatch", in his own words. If you have the time go through all the parts from the site below. If you don't want to read through about 30 parts then part 11 gives a summary of just Barry here. It's a bit rough around the edges but you can take what you want from it. A lot of dubious characters involved in the defence and a lot of them just trying to make money from interviews/book deals etc.

In my own opinion the murder may have been just wrong place, wrong time for Dando. George may have killed anyone that day and just happened across one of the most famous faces in Britain. Overall though, the evidence presented was quite flimsy and probably shouldn't have gotten a conviction but a lot of it wasn't picked up until a year later. Either way Barry likely belonged in prison no matter what he was put in there for.

https://theerrorsthatplaguethemiscarriageofjusticemovement.home.blog/2022/11/06/jill-dandos-killers-innocence-fraud-part-1/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

We're enjoying this now, more than half way through it.

Definitely lots of plot holes and unanswered questions, but still entertaining and very fast moving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Elenor6

Good Girls is a good series to watch (4 seasons)

Advertisement