Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2023 RWC Buildup, Squads, Fixtures 'etc'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

But ask any of the minnows if they would give up the opportunity to play Ireland, France, New Zealand or South Africa

3 of those teams have made at least 3 world cup finals.

There is one interloper who I doubt many of the minnows players grew up dreaming about.

Let's keep our feet on the ground for now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

NZ are and probably always have been the ultimate flat track bullies in rugby going back to Lomu's time. Once they get a few tries up on a weak or average team they won't stop.

But if they fall behind or can't rack up big scores they get frustrated like all flat track bullies.

If Ireland are ahead, level or behind by 10 points or less at half time against NZ, I'd favour Ireland to win all day long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,710 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Next world cup is 20 teams, and thers talk about expanding the next one.

Right now world cup should only be for 16 teams , would be much more competive , yes ther will be hidings , Italy would be in that 16 - but not as many - not good for expanding the game, so many hidings.

World cup has been too predictable , needs a Japan beating South Africa game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Next world cup is 24 teams.

It should be 8 or 12 tops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭ersatz

As people say, no-one can rack up a score against poor opposition like NZ, ma cost e successo all'italia? They were useless. NO doubt the ABs have something to celebrate but I doubt they'll consider that demolishing a poor Italian side says much about how they'll operate against Ireland, France or SA for that matter. I watched with a couple of veteran Kiwis, they were happy but ruminating on Ireland having SA and Scotland as their warmup while NZ have today and Uruguay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Matt Williams summed it up the best, the top 4 can all beat each other on any given day.

I'd expand that to the top 8. I still think England will make the final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

For England to make the final they'd have to beat one of the top 4, and I could only see them beating France as they seem to have a habit of beating them in big games.

Not sure who you are counting in the top 8 thats as good as the top 4. Wales, Australia, Fiji, Argentina are a good bit off.

I would be surprised if Wales, England or Argentina can make the step up to the level of FR, Irl, SA and NZ but who knows. England and Wales will be playing with real confidence now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Seadin

Ireland will struggle with New Zealand. New Zealand are different animals in the rugby world cup. I really can't see us performing good enough that we will beat them. We must worry about Scotland first but here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭MaddChris

Different animal in the World Cup?

They've already lost to France in this world cup by 14 points.

If we play them in a quater final will it be challenging, of course it f**king will. Where as there is no evidence whatsoever Ireland collapse and they walk over us.

• Advertisement

Agree we should be wary of NZ always, even when they aren't great. But let's not forget their abject performance against England in the semi of the last World Cup. Completely blown away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭TheRona

Out of interest, how many times has Ireland come back from 10 points down, and against which teams?

I can think off the top of my head examples of them falling 10 points behind and losing, but it's very hard to overturn that kind of deficit against a top side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭OldRio

Why oh why do people respond to the seagulls? Responding to posts that are basically crys for attention (help). These posters have no intention of reasoned debate. Best ignore IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,760 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Would this be the consensus here now? Can't see it any other way tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I think there's a reasonable chance that Japan beat Argentina.

Probably the only one I could be persuaded to have a bet on, alright.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Japan and Argentina are two underperforming teams separated only by the fact Japan are marginally better coached IMO. I'd see them edge out into the Quarters, heads then rolling back in Buenos Aires.

We'll know more after the Chile game today. Think Argies might improve more than Japan

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Posts like this are incredibly reductive. We could play really well in the QF and lose to a team that also plays really well. We have to get away from looking at that as a failure. That’s sport. Failing would be not playing to our ability, something that has been the case in quite a few RWCs now.

Also, this “we’ve been here before” shtick is incredibly reductive too. We’ve never been here before. I’ve posted elsewhere what the difference is now to before. But long story short, we’ve never come into a RWC with this kind of form or consistency before. And we’ve never performed this well in the pool stages, ie continued that form through the pool stages.

The SA game wasn’t just a one off game that we won, like Australia in 2011. It was another in a long list of big games that we won and another example of numerous examples of why we should be considered the best team in the world. We have never been in this position at any other RWC ever. But that doesn’t mean we have some divine right to progress or to expect that we will.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's been said in RL and I agree: the difference with this Irish team, fundamentally, is that 5, 10+ years ago those opening 20 minutes against SA we'd have lost the plot, either sticking to plan A or abandoning all plans and winging it. Cue gallant loss and lots of self recriminations.

We might still lose to NZ, and we'll need to play like we did against the Boks for the full 80, but last week didn't feel like a once off, a spontaneous bit of being "up for the match", but rather another day at the office. Like NZ an arrogance that we're better and just a case of believing in ourselves.

• Advertisement

are you sure it is 24 ? no way it should be expanded , given what we have seen.

The highight match tonight , is another non match involving Romania.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I'm kinda looking forward to the other two matches. Something a bit different.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,799 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Fiji Georgia is surely the highlight game.

Scotland Romania is simply the late game

The spitball is 24 but IIRC it's not official yet? At least last I saw but I might have been reading older outlets' articles.

And TBH if the chatter is about how world rugby is stagnating, and various Tier 1 countries beginning to buckle, I'm not sure shrinking the World Cup's appeal & exposure is an especially smart long term move. Circling the wagons isn't the answer here. 16 teams is marginal, 12 would be insane and kill the sports interest across Tier 2 nations stone dead.

Italy's result was ... something. There was something to their performance beyond simple lack of ability. They're not ordinarily 100 points bad. While globally it can't be overstated how F'ed some countries were thanks to COVID; these mismatches suck as spectacles but the answer can't just be to tell Tier 2 to fúck off and get good - but never allow them a chance to compete either.

agree on Fiji/Georgia , but the Saturday 8 is prime time - even Argentina /Chile would be better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Yeah I think NZ Vs Italy proved it shouldn't be expanded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Argentina are my no.2 team... i think they are starting to improve, and will beat wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Ribs1234

The Nz players laughing and joking as they were losing in the second half against France still haunts me. Did they really care about that game?

The next World Cup would like to see groups of 5, top 2 to knockouts, 3rd and 4th to a plate competition (auto qualification to following World Cup if get to semi finals of plate), and 5th goes home. That would be 20 teams, could do 24 teams if 5 and 6 goes home and has to qualify the next time.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

That's definitely the least interesting of the three games.

You might be missing out on some great rugby if you're not watching the likes of Portugal/Georgia or Samoa/Namibia and just concentrating on the mismatches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I can't understand that result.

A handy enough win for nz i expected, but thought it would be interesting for 50/60 minutes.

Must be something going on with Italy, apart from mucking up their development structure.

Advertisement