Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Rugby Discussion 3

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I, for one, won't care. I'll be on it like a fly on ****.

All of these docs come out to tie in with the upcoming events when interest is highest. It would be bizarre to do it otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

You seem to get quite tetchy with anyone that disagrees with you. Are you like this in real life or just on the internet? Are you ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭tmc1963

Did you read the start of the conversation - I merely tried to be helpful by commenting that I thought Wales had an issue with Netflix around the time of their strike threats.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ian Madigan has retired. Pretty nice statement from him on his career and retiring.

Ian Madigan (@ian.madigan) • Instagram photos and videos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Ah jaysus. Madigans a good egg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

Not on insta so hadn't seen that but there was a piece on RTE website too. Shame about the injuries at Ulster. Such a skillful player 250 Prof appearances including 30 odd Irish caps. Not bad but at the same time is there a sliding doors moment where he stays at Leinster as a second five eighth / 12 (but not a bosh merchant) Anyway best of luck to him on his retirement

He shouldn't have left Leinster or if he did he should have left for the two years MOC was there like Sexton did. Madigan could have been a D'Arcy style 12 but the game hasn't favored that style of inside for a long time now, he'd have had to have been an exceptional in other aspects of his play.

Schmidt certainly suited him as a coach though, got the most out of him as a player. I think MOC did him no favors, Madigan's game didn't develop and between MOC leaving and Sexton coming back Madigan had a poor hand at the table all of a sudden.

Seems like a decent chap all the same, no doubt we'll hear from him in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

If I had a time machine, I'd tell him to become a 9. I think he could've been an incredible sh, in the classic French mold, like Parra or Yacvillhi (sp)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,143 ✭✭✭fitz

The Madigan v Murray rows would have been great tiresome and endless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Quitelife

As a general sports fan i find it interesting to look at the profile of teams players, looking at the Irish Starting 15 against South Africa

9 went to Dublin Private Schools

3 are from New Zealand

1 is from Australia

2 players are outliers then from the rest of Ireland Peter O Mahony from Cork & Tadhg Furlong from Wexford

This world cup a bit like Italia 90 might lead to more players from outside Dublin playing with Ireland in 10/12 years time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Caelan Doris would be very upset to be described as not being "from outside Dublin"

He started his rugby playing for Ballina RFC and, from what I understand, part of the reason he went boarding to Blackrock was to give his rugby development the best opportunity it could.

The bigger issue is the IRFU continuing to abdicate much responsibility for player development to the traditional private rugby schools, and having a poor development pathway for any teenage players outside of the schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭MaddChris

Taught Beirne born and educated in Kildare.

Whole team: Dublin (10) Rest of Ireland (10) Aus/NZ (3)

*JVDF born in Wicklow, but yes for your point educated in Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I think Aus/NZ is 5. JGP, Lowe and Aki were all NZ. Hansen and Bealham (I think) were Australia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Yeah they’re both Austrian and qualify for Ireland via their grandparents

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Parent (mother) in Hansen's case. He was an Irish citizen from birth.

Looking at the 8 subs v SA as well

Dublin Schools,Limerick,Australia,Armagh,Dublin Schools,Limerick,Cork.Westmeath

That would make it out of 23

10 Dublin Schools excluding Doris who we will call mayo instead

3 NZ

2 Australia

8 others ( 2 cork, 2 Limerick, 1 Wexford, 1 Armagh ,1 Westmeath, 1 Mayo )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭OldRio

More grim news for English Rugby. Jersey Reds have finished.

I copied a link to twitter but it wouldn't copy. Which is odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

You have to change the 'x.com' to 'twitter.com' in the link as Boards doesn't recognise the changed name (even though they bring you to the same place) 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,725 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Sad news, a few Irish in the set up too - Sullivan

I think the English proffessional league is unsustatable, think the only answer is a full on European league , like propsed in soccer, but not needed due to tradition and popularity, but is needed in European rugby.

• Advertisement

Youd have thouight there'd be plenty of rich sponsors in Jersey of all places to keep a Professional Rugby club going !

The only answer for English teams is a full European league.

French rugby and Irish rugby are in rude health. They do not need it.

You would imagine the remaining prem teams would be better off and safer in the URC but it's definitely not that straight forward.

Club ownership is the first issue that needs to be resolved. Club owners have shown themselves to be dishonest with the salary cap or acting highly questionably when it comes to accounting standards. This is a top to bottom issue and the game in England can't be fixed with the current setup. If the clubs could magically replicate the popularity and attendance of the top14 it would be a different situation but that's not possible.

I think they need to look at the teams themselves. Prem rugby is not particularly well attended and only have marginally higher attendance than the URC average and much lower than the interpro's. I think Wales and England both need to take a hard look at the IRFU and change the approach to the game entirely. The game in England and Wales is professional but the unions themselves clearly aren't and are starting to fall behind the more organised governing bodies in terms of the professional and international game. I think they need to do that before they change league for their own sake, but I also don't think the URC should engage or have any operational overlap with the various club owners and stakeholders until the RFU is in charge.

The WRU has been waging active war on the Regions for at least the last decade. It's an impossible situation for them. Not knowing their budgets before the season, being on the hook for COVID loan repayments, underage player pathways not to standard. Very different from the mismanagement in the Premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭OldRio

Thanks for that info Exclamation Marc.

a European league without Irish teams, and we would soon struggle - France may not join initially, but think it is inevitable.

Where would we struggle? The French and Irish national teams are doing incredibly well and France and Ireland have been serial providers of European Cupfinalists (only two appearances by English teams in the the last six finals).

If France don't join at the outset and the Irish don't join at all, there is no European league. And there's no impetus for either to join so I can't see either nation abandoning their leagues as it stands when the only true 'winners' will be the English teams that are themselves self-destructive. They're all basket cases as it stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Ultimately it’s a very small island I’d say it would be difficult to keep a pro team going in such a small market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

A European league (minus the French), or essentially the URC + Gallagher Premiership seems like the most obvious future for European rugby. Ideally with 2 divisions but that won't happen. It'll end up with some shield system

• Advertisement

Rugby needs more unified governance. Having the 6Ns and TRC as separate organizations, and each league independently goverened makes it so much more difficult to structure the game sustainably.

the Irish and French national teams are doing great presentlty, but we're talking about the ptofessional clubs - Welsh and English and Scottish club teams are struggling - a European league makes sense to me , I dont think proffesional rugby is popular eneogh to support so many proffesional leagues, as seen with whats happening in England and Wales , and the constant changes to the Celtic league/URC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭ersatz

The French league is in good health, as is the Pro D2. The URC with the addition of the SA teams is developing into a successful model, maybe. Scotland and Wales have their own issues, mainly to do with governance and connecting the grassroots game to the pro game in a way that enables development. Easier said than done. England is a basket case that is more likely to be taken over by Gulf Sovereign Funds and money laundering that it is to rebuild the pro system to right the ship. The power of club owners relative to the union is a big problem, but for the size of the country the singular reliance on the school system is also a massive blockage, per EJ's point.

There will never be a European league with France, so we can forget that.

A B&I league has oft been floated and it probably more likely now, but I doubt we'll want to give up on the Saffer teams (whatever about Italy).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As the topic is floating hypothetical tournaments, I'll spitball the opposite, perhaps crazier idea: What odds the reverse happening and some choice English clubs moving to the URC? Surely with South African franchises joining there's a degree of wriggle room for English clubs to argue their value in an already pan international competition?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Strand1970

Urc with maybe 4 English regional teams, would work, leave the fantastic prem to its own devices. France have perhaps 50% of he Pro teams worldwide. Why on earth would they join an euro competition. T14 is flying. England rugby is in bad shape.

• Advertisement

I wish the URC could incorporate teams from Spain and Portugal

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

We incorporate teams from worse countries.......

Wales

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Could happen, in theory if not those countries: URC expands enough into a premiership and championship structure; with promotion/relegation play offs between the two leagues.

Of course it wouldn't happen for the same reason similar won't happen with the 6 Nations: the Scots/Welsh and Italian teams wouldn't want the threat of financial purgatory in dropping down to slum it with the Spanish or English teams.

But again, if rugby is to grow dot dot dot...

Guaranteed financial support is the only way that the Gordion Knot can be solved. If you remover the financial penalty for relegation, an expanded competition becomes more viable. Equitable revenue sharing is needed to grow the sport.

SA just shifted their best teams from one international club competition to another, no major governance impact on the domestic setup or for the test team. While some English club owners would probably love to join the URC it would be a suicide mission for the RFU and for the international team. It's a hill the English union should be ready to die on. And Im not sure the other 6N unions would support such a breakaway, which is what it would be..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jwof2006

Italy shipping 96 points to the All Blacks is some mess given the amount of money that has been invested in Italian rugby over the last 20 years. Genuinely believe if the same resources were distributed to other developing European nations, European rugby would have gotten way more bang for their buck.

Portugal and Spain are good but honestly they are many, many years away form competing in the 6N. The closest Tier 2 team, and the one with the strongest argument for inclusion in tier 1 is Fiji. Between 7s and bringing in qualified former internationals they belong at the top table. I think they'd beat Italy 2 out of 3 too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

There would be no need for two divisions with promotion/relegation, just two conferences with a few out of conference games (local derbies). The top four sides from each conference go into quarter finals. That way you avoid the damage that relegation can do.

New Zealand beat South Africa 57-0 in 2017

South Africa beat England 58-10 in 2007

New Zealand beat Ireland 60-0 in 2012

New Zealand beat Wales 55-3 in 2003

New Zealand beat France 62-13 in a quarter final in 2015

These results happen. Rugby lends itself unusually well to scoreboards snowballing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

New Zealand rugby lends itself unusually well to scoreboards snowballing.

It does, though we have also beaten Wales 54-10, Wales have beaten Scotland 51-3, France have beaten England 53-10 in Twickenham not 7 months ago.

Was the Italy result slightly worse? yeah sure, but they are all pretty horrific one-sided matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Well in fairness, Italy regularly ship 50 points in the 6N but I don’t think anyone has done that to them. NZ are probably the most ruthless team in the world, against opposition who don’t turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Italy, Spain and Portugal reportedly planning a bid for the 2035 RWC.

https://www.rugbyworld.com/news/spanish-newspaper-discusses-a-joint-rugby-world-cup-bid-for-2035-161742

Could be pretty cool. Would be nice to have another tournament in Europe.

Japan also apparently interested in re-hosting. Would prefer the Italy, Spain and Portugal option.

Reckon we'll have reached a semi-final by then? 😂

That'd be an amazing way to show support for Spain and Portugal's development; and as World Cup destinations they'd be top tier in all respects. You'd have to imagine Italy on its own would be a shoe-in, but making it a cooperation with some Tier 2 nations is a great idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Japan should be told to f*ck off.

Was it two games they couldn't fulfil last time due to monsoon issues?

No thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement