Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BYD Atto3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,200 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

In Limerick I have seen a Tesla Model 3, an MG ZS, 3 X MG 5s, an ID4, an Atto, a leaf, a Zoe and a Niro being used as taxis in the last few months

I'd argue that the leaf, Niro and Atto are a bit small as taxis and the Zoe is very small as a taxi

• Registered Users Posts: 16,061 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I have seen plenty of MG ZS and MG 5s as Taxis in Dublin alright.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,200 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Cheap and cheap to run, think taxis get nearly 20k in grants so that's a brand new 5 for ~16k

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

€20k of scrapping an older car.

Then you can sell the car for scrap. We got €2k on top for each Prius.

Original MG5 on the road for €11500. eNiros on the road for just under €17k after you sort the glass etc

That was back in 2021. All can be sold next year and repeat the process.

Ms

If your scraping the car then how can you also sell it for 2k? Surely that's a loop hole. Well done for finding it and do not blame you for taking advantage of it.

So you get 22k then for the old car then is that right?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

You have to provide a certificate of destruction to claim the grant.

You sell the car to any scrap yard, they give a cert of destruction.

It doesn’t have to be crushed, they can strip it and sell the parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Does that not seem a waste of a car? Surely your three year 9ld EV that you're replacing isn't at a stage where it needs to be taken off the road?

Unless I'm picking you up wrong?

The cars were 7 years old. Had been a taxi for over 6 years. The car was stripped and sold for parts so it kept other Prius on the road.

You got €22kw for a car that was worth maybe €3k on the open market. It was a fantastic move and it opened the floodgates for EV into the PSV industry and still is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Great move for taxi's which do lots of city driving so for once a government move that works.

As I've found now though, when you go to trade in a 1 year old car it's going up against all the cheap one year old taxis.

One dealer told me that my MG was only getting X amount online. I'd a look at the car and it had 50,000km on the clock ! One year old. Unless they had it serviced three times (at 15, 30 and 45,000 km) then the 7 year warranty is gone too.

Ended up just trading back in with MG. Selling to Trade was only giving me 21k as they are worried about the used EV prices and have over corrected. MG gave me 35k. I paid 36.5k for it 14 months ago. So I stuck with them. New Red MGZS being picked up next week.

You cannot sell the taxi after 1 year if they got the grant. It can only be sold after 3 years.

• Advertisement

Ah I re-read your comment above about changing next year but never linked the 2021 part.

That's some amount of private driving so 50,000 in a year. He must live in it🤣

Post edited by Grumpypants on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Sorry I thought you meant that you have to scrap your current car after three years to get the €20K grant. So if you'd a 3 year old Niro then you'd to scrap it to get a new EV car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭Goose81

How else do you pay for a car other than monthly payments... most people don't have 40k cash in the bank to buy a car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭djan

There's an argument to be made that if you don't have 40k to spare maybe don't buy a car of that value. It is crazy to see the amount of people on PCPs that get swayed into cars that are way way out of their affordability range.

Ms

The way it should be. There should be a minimum term on how long someone be it private or commercial has to keep a new car and I think it should be 3years onless your new car is faulty or dangerous in which case you could exchange it for a new one.

This buying or exchanging a 1 year old car for a new one is just wrong. Tough look wait two more years they you can have another new car. If you do not like it then tough ****.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Why would you change after just one year sure the car is not even old yet. There needs to be a minimum term of ownership set and I think 3 years should be the limit. You can have as many new cars as you like as long as there is 3 years between them and it can be for yourself or your partner or partners.

So no one can have 3 or 4 brand new cars of the same year in their yard unless it belongs to someone who lives at a different address. So if your son's or daughter's are living with you and driving then they would just have to wait there turn or move out.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭Goose81

I agree. People go wild on PCP but looking at the price of new cars in general and the cars on the road it must be what most people are doing, the amount of average looking mercs and BMW going around and when you look up how much they are you are talking north of 100k. I would say there are huge amounts of people going around with monthly payments of 1200 quid.

My car repayment is 600 a month but I didn't want to go PCP so I just took out a personal loan. I wanted no loan tied to the car in case I want to get rid of it and going from having no finance on my previous car to 600 a month has been an eye opener budget wise so I get where you coming from

We don’t live in a nanny state so there should be no minimum term on ownership. I’ve bought and sold cars after 24 hours.

Ive bought cars in the morning and sold them that night.

People will swap after 1 year to keep mega mileage down. 50k after one year is a lot but still saleable, 100k after 2 years might not be.

Now, unless you mean the PSV grant, then yes I agree. The 3 year rule is good to stop you flipping and profiting from the exchange.

Post edited by Gumbo on

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭finno

Does anyone who bought the car know how to turn off the "over the speed limit" voice notification?

I got the car on Friday and love it... so comfortable to drive and great tech in the car.

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Y.N.W.A

• Advertisement

I have the money now to move up one year. I probably won't have the money to move up 2.5 years when the facelift comes out at the end of 2024.

I'd a choice between taking a €1500 depreciation this year and getting a new low mileage, extra year warranty, new colour, and grabbed one of the few left with the sunroof.

Ms

Awe OK. I just never seen the point in moving from a car that is basically the same to the same car again unless it has been revamped or has a higher spec than before.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I hadn't planned on it. Had hoped to move to a different car but the market is all over the place at the moment. MG offered 35k, everyone else 21k. So no hope of going elsewhere. Hopefully it's a bit more steady next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Whether you are a taxi or not you are perceived as an off-duty taxi when driving the MG5 and MGZS, I fear the same will happen with the Atto3.

That kind of association is not worth paying for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭djan

Sure by that logic no one would drive a Škoda Octavia/Superb or an Avensis...

I like the MG, but I personally think the Atto looks better. I don’t see that happening.

But the same did happen for the Avensis, Camry and now the ID4. Associated with taxis so I do appreciate your point.

Few extra euro on the side never hurt 😉

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod Note: Stick to the topic at hand please, financing is often a big part of a car purchases so isn't necessarily off topic, if a person has a problem with a post or feels it's going off-topic please use the report function.

bickering posts removed

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭finno

Does anyone know how long it took them to get connected to the BYD app?

I am over a week now and still can't connect

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Y.N.W.A

• Advertisement

Advertisement