Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Fair enough!

I actually really like the look of paper wrapped bottles, although once opened, they don't wrap up so well.

And yes, I wad responding to the other poster re fridge/cellar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

I'm considering the same. Will Definitely get John's Lane Cask Strength to open at Christmas but Irish whiskies in general are moving beyond my affordability sadly.

I think the Power's Rye is excellent value for money!

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

I feel the same about Jameson black barrel. But only when it's on sale, aka 30 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Just noticed it's down to €35 in O'Briens at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,537 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Irish Malts offering an advent calendar via Flaviar, €200!

• Comes with Free Flaviar Base Membership

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Ah... Glad to see an Irish option.

I used to do the Master of Malt calendars regularly... I think I did all the varieties almost... The mixed regular, scotch only, bourbon only and probably the best one I did was the single cask calendar!

Rarely a "value for money" option, but then, that shouldn't always be the first consideration, I think. It can be a lot of fun, and a chance to try things you'd never buy. Alongside 'duds' (Haig Club, I'm looking at you) you invariably get the odd nice surprise.

I see they mention 2 U.S based distillers in the description, so it's obviously international. I had a bottle of Koval rye a few years back.

Post edited by Black Sheep on

Local O’Brien’s didn’t have the tawny port red breast when I tried them yesterday. Just picked up a bottle in Bow St. this morning. Will open it tonight after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Have been in France for the last few days. Sooooo little whiskey options here, I ended up having a few Jack Daniels with ice last night.

Long time since I'd had any, (as in, over a decade, and was probably with coke!) but I really enjoyed it. Vanilla/caramel with slightly smokey spice.

Or maybe the "any port in a storm" thing was going on. Maybe I'll delete this post later 😂😂😂

My last visit to Paris, I noted that single malts and IPA were all the rage and no one drinking Cognac.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Might anyone know of a swap or similar forum where one might trade an MVR 2023 for a Redbreast 21 ?

I know some have been mentioned in the past, just wondering what is currently “active” out there, ideally not social media, but if needs must….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Liking the powers irish Rye

• Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Lets see how long these last

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭janiejones

I just love that Nikka. Don't think I've ever finished a bottle as fast. Maybe a waterford gaia or lagavulin 16. The Nikka is just so drinkable, not challenging but tastes of more

Has anyone had an opportunity to try the Readbreat Tawny Port edition yet ? Curious, seems to be only a small number of reviews, some of which appear may have some gratuity/junket in the background

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I got it, and I really like it. Haven't bought a lustau, but have tasted it before. I'm bad at remembering subtleties that would let me give a decision on which is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭xeresod

I like the tawny port too - more than lustau but less than the PX....tastes/preferences are individual so try it and make up your own mind.

See if your local has it, or if not, Tiny Tipple have samples if you want to try before committing to a full bottle

Redbreast Tawny Port - 46 abv - 50ml – TinyTipple

Thanks- the bottle I bought is a gift, I'm hopeful I'll be offered a dram after I pass it on, but will definitely consider that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭2011abc

Yes a vile drink although ironically HEAVILY peated like Bruichladdich Classic Laddie are far nicer .I don’t know why they make Connemara , does anyone ever buy a second bottle ?!

• Advertisement

Bruichladdie's Classic Laddie is one of their unpeated expressions, actually, but it doesn't really matter.

I've always found Connemara very pleasant. I had a few of them in Buswell's hotel last year, one night, and it brought be right back to the heydey of Cooley, when it was still under the Teelings. I always felt that, with Connemara, they had a great, well-executed niche whiskey that flew the flag for peated Irish whiskey long before Croithli and Sliabh Liag, and others, were a twinkle in their founders' eyes...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭2011abc

To expand on Connemara ….I hadn’t been into whiskey too long when I did the Kilbeggan tour .The ‘tasting ‘ was the four bottle mini pack with Connemara , basic Kilbeggan , Tyrconnell single malt ( yum!) and something else .The 12-20 attendees were universal in their revulsion of Connemara and it’s medicinal /TCP flavour .Fast forward a few years and I was at a tasting at some pub in Dublin near The Liberties ( organised by Celtic Whiskey Shop?) It was all Bruichladdichs I think including ones with impressive sounding names and price tags .They were all smashing and some Dutch lads also at the table explained that sometimes lots of peat is needed rather than just a low to medium dosage ( there’s a chemical measuring system with units ).Sometimes whiskies can have faint notes of peat ( and smoke ) but it’s not something I’m mad about . I prefer Sherry finishes .But then as stated tastes vary .

Powers Johns Lane cask strength now available (generally, not just Palace Bar)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Thanks for the heads-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭DeniG2

Speaking of Bruichladdich, treated myself to a bottle of Port Charlotte, had it years ago on a trip to Edinburgh, hoping it’s as good as I remember

i've just got my local offie to order me in a bottle and it should be arriving for the weekend. I think i'm gonna save it though for Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 29,537 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Wouldn't be for me, but in the "whiskey adjacent" space, James Fox is running "The Big Smoke" launching their own brand cigars in the Morgan Hotel later in the month.

Dunville's is the whiskey partner on the day.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Meant to ask is the Glenallachie worth a punt. Always hear great things about it. They've released new peated whiskys as well

• Advertisement

Glenallachie has been having a good run in recent years, since Billy Walker, formerly of Glendronach, became their master distiller.

I have a bottle of their 12 put aside for Christmas, same as last year, but it's likely that if the Celtic Whiskey Shop get another round of cask strength / single casks for November/December, I will get one of those too.

The distillery styles of Glenallachie and Glendronach are similar, both heavily leaning towards maturation in sherry casks - oloroso and PX. They do some port finishes in the line-up as well. Although people would say Glendronach 12 is sherry-led and sweet by most standards, compared alongside Glenallachie 12 it is almost 'off dry', to borrow a tasting term from the wine world. If you want richness and body then go with Glenallachie. If you want a sherry-led, but still pretty conventional whisky, then Glendronach might be more to your taste.

Post edited by Black Sheep on

Advertisement