Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭McFly85

It would depend on how the punishment is handled.

Do they apply a points deduction based on the amount of charges per season they’re found guilty of? If that’s the case then it might open up lawsuits from other clubs citing loss of earnings(e.g Everton finished 14 points behind City in 13/14, could they sue for missing out on the CL?)

Do they just exclude City altogether from the table? Probably have the same issue as above.

So the likeliest scenario is that there is just no winner declared for those seasons. I’d be happy enough with that tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

in France, there was just no champion when Marseille were stripped of their title IIRC. Just no champion in the given years.

IMO awarding the 2nd place can sometimes be a bit iffy as in some of those seasons, the runner up was 20 points behind. Can you reward that?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

They won't be stripped of titles.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Juventus were stripped of two titles. 2004/05 and 2005/06. No team was awarded the 2004/05 title. Inter were awarded the 2005/06 title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Depending on the extent of the cheating, administrative relegation to League Two and a five-year (to pluck a number from thin air) ban from European competitions upon qualification would be an idea. I know the case isn't entirely the same but Rangers have been seriously set back by similar punishment in 2012.

Stripping them of the titles or awarding them to others doesn't mean anything; they won them on the pitch and celebrated them at the time. Putting an asterisk beside them should be a given, though.

What should be learned from all this is proper development of financial controls and thorough examination of accounts to avoid this happening again, though the goings-on on Tyneside show nothing's changed so far. It damages the integrity of competitions when fooling around like this isn't properly punished.

FWIW, in the case of any severe punishment being meted out to City, it wouldn't surprise me if they withdrew from FA competitions and join the Saudi league or a Saudi-backed Super League, along with the likes of PSG and Barca, especially if UEFA are forced to act similarly.

That said, I imagine a more likely punishment would be points deductions and fines and a 'don't do that again' admonishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

They are winning every game they play in that, because the opposition will be dazzled into submission.

It's the opposite of "that" Man Utd kit, which apparently "went well with jeans", that saw them famously lose down at Southampton.

From Everton "The shirts are on sale now, they will not be worn by players on the pitch " They are relegation fodder so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Jaysus, reminds me of the old BBC test card. Awful yoke.

What's the thinking behind that? For every one that the club shop has to bin due to lack of sales we give a fiver to an equality charity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

It really is just a hideous design, a concept that's been done quite well plenty of times before too:

We've even done it ourselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Some start by Villa,3 up already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Jeepers. Emery doing a job on Brighton. 3-0 up already with less than 30 mins played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Brutal defending by Villa and Brighton get one back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Zaniolo not blocking the keeper anyway

Apparently only wearing a United jersey affects the keepers eyeline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,709 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Why does every poor decision have to be a dig at United 🤷‍♂️

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

That must be a near record PL win for Villa. Emery is a fair operator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tinpib

It's taken a while for the penny to drop but all Steven Gerrard's groundwork and coaching paying off big time for Villa, I'm sure Emery will give him all the credit in his post match press duties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Moreso the dire lack of consistency I was getting at. Probably shouldn't mentioned United thats my bad I guess. I shoulda asked if its widely known Danes are more solid than Swiss or Italians thus cannot be seen through?

Thats the biggest problem that identical incidents have wildly different outcomes. Rightly or Wrongly if VAR picked a decision and stuck with it the entire time it wouldn't be as much of a clusterfùck. The fact its an absolute lottery every single time makes the whole thing such a farce every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DAngelo Bailey

Citeh in trouble here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

One game sample size, but turns out Rodri is pretty bloody important.

The most important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Not sure Ten Hag is all that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Yeah, I'm not sure he is.

But that club is rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Ha ha, I would agree with you but the improvement with Emery was literally straight away and he only brought in two players before the summer, Duran who usually comes on as a sub and Moreno a full back.

I’m not sure why Gerrard struggled with the team though he did make some man management gaffes, in reality I think it just underlines Emery’s experience as a manager

Post edited by pavb2 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

As interesting a game week you'll see, now for the main event!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Onana again beaten by a shot I think de gae would have saved. I'm not sure if the nice footwork and passing is an actual step up on Actual goal saving shot stopping

• Advertisement

Another VAR call to analyse, looks bad in slow replay, bit clearly shows him going for the ball and him going over the ball as it rolls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

That's where VAR does its work. Red card all day long. Nasty challenge. Not sure what Neville is talking about

It was a total fluke result wolves scored twice with 1 SOT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

VAR made it look 10 times worse, his foot slides on the ball helping him into the challenge.

Yellow is right and the red now ruins the game.

I'm all for VAR but you have donkeys running it. Too many bad decisions these days cause of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Red all day. Leg breaker.

• Advertisement

There has to be serious pressure on Ten Hag after that result/performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

They also left the still on the refs screen as he was walking towards it. That makes the refs mind up before he even sees the clip.

As you said he's putting his foot on the ball, the Spurs guy tips it, Jones foot then slides up the ball and catches the player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

WTF was that offside call? where were the lines, he looked well onside

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Neville seems to be blind lately with his views on big decisions.

Yeah. Deffo onside from the image I've seen. Useless again. Although deffo red too.

spurs 1-0 now, still confused how that diaz goal was disallowed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Man down and now 1 down. Still cannot see how Liverpool weren't 1 up, looked onside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Thought it looked onside, lovely, lovely finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,190 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Liverpool can consider themselves unlucky and hard done by. A red card for Jones, that's mired in controversy. Then Diaz scores only for it to be marginally offside. Now Spurs lead a couple of minutes later through Son. VAR have ruined another game with that red card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Heres the Liverpool offside decision for anyone who didn't see it.

The offside call is a bit of a farce, no liens drawn and he still looks onside?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Not really. It was the correct decision for a reckless tackle.

That is an absolute clear red card, a player maybe touching the ball, or the game being ruined has no bearing on anything.

If the spurs players leg was planted fully it was broken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Neville lost the plot sometime during last season, he's been a complete joke on comms since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

How TF are people questioning that red card for Jones? Doesn't matter that his leg rolled on the ball or whatever excuse you want to make, it's a red card all day every day

gakpo equalises

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

That's a real good finish on the turn from Gakpo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I think it's a yellow and not a red. Ref thought so too and then forced into it cause he's been ushered over by VAR and sees the worst of it because of slo mo which makes everything worse looking.

He rolls over the ball (Casemiro does something similar last season and seen red, not a red imo), foot changes direction *after* sliding over the ball, he loses his balance and the ball brings him into the challenge.

VAR then shows the ref a single angle starting from the most shocking, and then dictates why it's a red. Yellow be fair imo.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Thoroughly deserving of a goal. The turn seems to have caused some pain for Gakpo though.

Looking at stills of the Diaz offise goal and it is impossible to see how he isn't a foot onside - looks ridiculous.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement