Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists' responsibility for their own safety *warning* infractions given liberally for trolling etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

But then....

"...Research has revealed that a staggering 60% of red cars have reportedly been in accidents, making it the most dangerous colour vehicle to drive.

The next most dangerous car colour is brown, where 59% of car owners have reportedly been in an accident.

Motorists with a black car should also take extra care, as 57% of drivers with the car colour have reported incidents.

For both black and brown cars, visibility seems to contribute to why so many accidents were reported.

Owners of darker-coloured vehicles could pay a higher insurance premium as insurers factor visibility into their calculations of likelihood of having an accident...."

What we really need is Presumed Liability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭kirving

Is that to say, if people were more inclined to take their own safety more seriously, that there could be between a 40-50% reduction in collisions?

All studies have biases, and they do address some of them and make compensation.

This is likely a result of a response bias, since the bicycle jacket was not expected to affect the number of single accidents. To compensate for this bias, a separate analysis was carried out. This analysis reduced the effect of the jacket from 47% to 38%.

What I find amusing is that there is none of this scientific rigor applied to a previously posted statistic from police in Scotland, where only 1% of collisions were attributed to clothing, an answer people on this thread tend to be far more agreeable to. Even with the dutch study, if we were to analyse the causes for any individual collision, I doubt the clothing visibility would ever come up as an assignable cause - it would be unfair to do so. But that wouldn't be telling the larger story.

As for the car colour - Ferrari would be the literal red herring there. Brown and black, absolutely agreed. Less light reflected = harder to see. If the actuaries can justify charging them more money, fine. As I said, my last car was black, and I thought it was a bit dull.

I think inconsistent implementation, and objectively confusing design from manufacturers play a huge part here. I am forever flashing drivers with no rear lights. So much so that I think Hyundai should do a recall. Grey Hyundai, in the rain, on the motorway in spray. Genuinely very difficult to see.

My current car uses the same symbol for dipped beams, as my last car did for parking lights, all to save a few cents. Glancing at the dashboard of a car you're unfamiliar with, you could be falsely led to believe that your lights are on. Synchronisation with wipers / light sensor / rear lights is another minefield. You have to take out the manual and read it each time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Is that to say, if people were more inclined to take their own safety more seriously, that there could be between a 40-50% reduction in collisions?

i assume it was propensity to report a crash which is being affected, rather than propensity to crash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Why do emergency service vehicles use hiviz? I've no idea why you'd be contriving so strenuously to absolve cyclists drivers of any modicum whatsoever of responsibility to help keep themselves safe.

• Advertisement

You're making a great argument for mandatory training and certification of drivers to make sure that drivers can actually operate the equipment that they've supposed to be in control of.

Is there any good reason why your black car shouldn't have fitted with hiviz panels all around?

I think these studies are interesting.. Often you get counter intuitive results. Which I find fascinating.

Same with quirks of implementation and user interfaces.

I end up looking through large datasets often enough at work to know not to assume.

What I'm saying is that it's completely reasonable assumption that a switch operates in the same way in all vehicles. Next time you walk into a room you haven't been in and hit a switch beside the door, what do you reasonably expect it to do? Do you expect it to turn on a light, or should you read the manual first?

What are you still on about? I'm not advocating for mandatory hi-vis, and I totally see how black cars could be involved in more collisions (especially if there's a lighting issue).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i remember once driving a hire car in spain, with DRLs, and it drove me bananas because it wouldn't actually tell me what the lights were doing.

anyway, TfL years back released a report which had a breakdown of cyclist KSIs and actually categorised them into the nature of the collision (e.g. collision happened because motorist changed lane without giving way, collision happened because motorist turned right into oncoming traffic, cyclist changed lane without giving way, etc.)

i'll see if i can find it, it might put rough numbers on the london figures for collisions where visibility of the cyclist is or isn't relevant.

We had two vehicles same brand a year apart. One the AC is off by default the light on means it's on. The other is AC on by default the light means it's off.

Another example is Android phones. Most have power button below the volume. Pixels have it reversed.

• Advertisement

My take on all theses studies is usually it's someone not paying attention. I can't fix that. Can't fix people who cycle on a rural road in the dark with no lights either. Only the fear of enforcement will change that behaviour.

In the meanwhile I'll look after me.

here's the TFL report i was thinking of; 49% of the reported collisions are classified as 'other vehicle turns left across the path of pedal cyclist' (32% - the classic left hook, or HGV blind spot i suspect) and 17% is 'other vehicle runs into rear of pedal cyclist' (page 21).

74% of crashes occur in daylight, and 91% in 'fine' weather.

https://content.tfl.gov.uk/pedal-cyclist-fatalities-in-london.pdf

As do I, I spend much of my time trying to standardise user interfaces, data presentation and output results so that people can efficiently and safely work across various machinery.

Perhaps in the spirit of this thread (or maybe not) I think we need a real change of tack from the RSA - including putting "victim blaming" secondary to honest investigation and publication of the factors which contributed to a collision. If I wear black, cycle with no lights, up the inside of a truck with it's left indicator on, at nigh, with the best will in the world, I have completely disregarded my own safety. A heirarchy of responsibility only goes so far.

Tow anectodes - I've lost count of the number of fellow mountain bikers who have commented on how far away they could see my hi-vis helmet through the trees, so I'll be buying the same again when it needs to be replaced.

Second, I was recently in an industrial site. One of the engineers walked between a reversing forklift and a wall. The driver saw them, stopped, and told them not to do that. Argument ensued, with the walker saying "you should be looking out for me". The engineer walking got absolutely roasted by everyone present, and by Health and Safety afterward. Everyone agreed that it was the drivers responsibility, but that they nevertheless should not be putting their safety in the hands of the forklift driver, unnecessarily.

an anecdote from me i've shared before - i was once behind a chap in a cycle lane, roughly at the link here, in the dark; and there was nothing remarkable about his jacket - until a motorist drove past us from behind with full beams on. at which point i was nearly blinded. he was wearing a proviz jacket, and clearly so impressed with the sales pitch about its visibility, that he'd (IIRC) neglected to have a rear light on his bike. but until the motorist drove past with full beams on, it was essentially a dull grey as its party trick is purely that it's retroreflective.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3611548,-6.2273691,3a,75y,244.32h,83.13t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sYbT2l34ahGw_FGchlu3oEw!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DYbT2l34ahGw_FGchlu3oEw%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D306.68112%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

which leads to my second point; dipped beams in urban and suburban areas (which is where most cycliing occurs during lighting up hours) are much less likely to pick up bright coloured tops. unfortunately brightly coloured overshoes are not easy to come by; and i think they're better for two reasons - more likely to be picked up by dipped beams, and also the biomechanical motion of the pedalling is (i believe) much more eyecatching than that of a jacket.

Anyone likely to be swayed by these arguments is probably already doing all this stuff.

But it's not the panacea people assume it to be.

Something bright being seen in a dark wood is very different to a city street with a thousand lights and hundreds of moving objects many also brightly colored. Something alluded to in the study.

Certainly doesn't remove any responsibility from a driver not paying attention being distracted by speed or phone or day dreaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,420 ✭✭✭blackbox

The more visible you are, the less likely you are to be hit.

This even applies where a motorist is illegally using a phone and not concentrating on his or her driving - something highly visible is more likely to be noticed by peripheral vision. It doesn't make the motorist right, but it might save the cyclist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,420 ✭✭✭blackbox

I believe hi Viz should be worn on bikes but I also accept the argument that dark coloured cars are less visible.

I believe it should be mandatory for all vehicles to use dipped headlights in all visibility conditions (unless full beams are appropriate).

Prefer my odds on a segrated lane, and 30kph speed limit than a driver's peripheral vision.

• Advertisement

Why wouldn't you believe that dark coloured cars should wear hiviz to make them more visible? Why are we often so quick to come up with great ideas for things pedestrians and cyclists have to do, while we're generally hands-offish in our approach to getting drivers to stop killing people?

The RSA do lots of that research and publish it on their website. I'd question some of it, like when they decide that people are 'culpable' for deaths without having any clear definition of culpability. The major causes of road deaths are well established, and they've nothing to do with what cyclists wear. The major causes are motorists speeding, motorists using their phones, drink/drug driving and fatigue driving. Last time I looked, 14 out of 16 cyclist deaths in a given year were in daylight.

if we're linking visibility and cyclist safety, can i ask that tall SUVs be banned? they're a pox on visibility, and not just of cyclists, but for cyclists.

i.e. they block cyclists from being able to see the other side of them, and block the motorists the other side of them from seeing the cyclists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Interesting though that you missed out on the bit

This suggests that inclement weather and poor road conditions were not a major factor in contributing to the crashes occurring between November and April. This may be influenced by pedal cyclists choosing not to ride in such weather conditions but pedal cycle travel rates by weather condition were not available to analyse this further.

Which means basicly if the majority of cyclists only chose to ride in "fine" weather or daylight would mean a higher percentage, as in if all cyclists chose to ride only in "fine" weather or daylight then 100% of the accidents would happen in "fine" weather or daylight.

For Dublin...

"....Looking at the top 5% most rainy hours of the year in Dublin, usage rates dropped to 81% of the average..."

Then more generally...

"... in 38 of the 40 cities, weather wasn’t the most significant factor that affected bike share usage — time of day was. In most places, weekend usage tends to peak around 2-3pm, while weekday usage usually has two peaks, corresponding with morning and evening commutes. ..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭SeanW

I do love reading these long laundry lists of demands that cyclists have for everyone else. (Sarcasm alert) Especially when cyclists are already so well regulated themselves, always stop and wait at red lights, never ride on footpaths ...

But hey, clearly hi-vis and bright clothing makes no difference ...

Getting "drivers to stop killing people?" You do realise there are 2.8 million "drivers" in Ireland. Can you be a little more specific?

Yes, I can be as specific as I was the last two times that you asked me that question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭standardg60

To my mind motion is the be all and end all of being noticed. I remember back in the day when they were more ubiquitous i'd notice pedal reflectors instantly even without a cyclist being lit.

Which brings me to my second point, flashing. The law about fixed lighting is ancient, for me a flashing light is way more effective than a fixed one, and i'd argue that that should be encouraged and even go so far as to say that the law should be updated to flashing lights on a bike.

The simple proof for this is emergency vehicles, would anyone argue that they'd be just as noticeable with fixed blue lights?

On visibility, given most collisions happen when a cyclist is either behind or adjacent to a vehicle, attributing lack of hi-vis as a significant cause is nonsense. And to further muddy the waters, i find when driving i notice cyclists in dark clothing better on a bright day and cyclists in bright clothing on a dark day, and apply that logic when i'm cycling. It's all about the contrast.

• Advertisement

Yes, your "answer" was the equivalent of saying "I'm accusing who I am accusing." Even though I gave you statistics and definitions that I thought might help.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement