Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

What an arrogant response. So are the squeezed middle class ( if which I’m one ) never to have a holiday just to satisfy the greenies with their twisted agenda?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭randomname2005

From https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://8billiontrees.com/carbon-offsets-credits/how-much-co2-does-a-car-emit-per-mile/%23:~:text%3DA%2520single%2520car%2520emits%25204.6,8.887g%2520of%2520carbon%2520emissions.&ved=2ahUKEwjj16KYtNKBAxXIUUEAHXs3DZAQFnoECAwQBQ&usg=AOvVaw2TNIsdisD3zh6Z91t2AmO7 they estimate about 4.6 tons of CO2 equivalent for an average car per year. From the guardian, and if I go to the tab and get the web page I will lose this, but they say a new Ford Mondeo requires about 17 tons of co2 equivalent to make. Given the higher initial CO2 equivalent of a Bev, let's round it to 4 years of driving the ice to match the emissions of making a new Bev. That is without any driving of the Bev and the emissions associated with that.

Keeping an ice car on the road for an extra four years is more beneficial.

As fuel and tax for ice cars gets more expensive every year the market for used ice cars will go down. People will gravitate towards more efficient Bev cars which is great, but we shouldn't be making it too prohibitive to keep a well running car on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Plenty on the social go on holiday abroad. So to get both a holiday abroad and free loft insulation you need to go on the social rather than earn an average salary?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

I wonder how many annual family holidays and more many families would have to forgo to earn the right to wear the green badge in the real world and in doing so be able to sit back and objectively identify how those sacrifices have contributed toward halting global warming.

I'm partial to a staycation myself, particularly camping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

I'll have the holiday thanks, just the same as all those EV drivers that holiday 4 times a year but have convinced themselves that they are saving the planet by driving an ev.

Recently saw a neighbour get the loft insulation through the SEAI scheme, contractor installed 300e worth of insulation and a few loft boards, took 4 hours max,contractor received 1300e grant, also hit householder for 200e extra and the BER cost another 350e, the whole scheme is a scandal, we will have a tribunal in 20 years and the greenies will be front and center.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

First when you are poor, by that I mean being unable to cope with life, mainstream society does not care about you, this is universal. In order to stop you as a poor person bothering mainstream society we have social services to hide the welfare class from our view. For landlords operating at the low end of the market, there really is no scope for increased rental yield, so to make money in that end of the market you have to control costs, that means neglecting maintenance as long as possible and cutting corners.

The tenants renting these places are there to be exploited, their only other choice is the street, all involved know this and use it to their advantage. When the slumlords went, their tenants got put on the street, the poorest really had no place to go, they still don't. Maybe if you have time and things are quiet, you might strike up a conversion with one of these men when they are looking for money. It'll cost you a few quid, but if it's quiet and there is no one else around for them to hawk for money, they'll tell you how they scrape by once you get past their béal bócht sob story.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭Shoog

I look at it as a way of elevating the cost of living crisis Vs a short term jolly. Boosting loft insulation makes a dramatic impact on comfort and energy usage and it's something everyone can do relatively cheaply - certainly less than a flight to Benadorm.

Your milage is obviously different.

It's a question of priorities, just don't spend to much energy on whinging about heating costs if your prioritize a holiday abroad over insulating your house.

Yeah, still not with your whole "I miss slumlords" argument.

• Advertisement

This is what many can't seem to understand. If you make bad choices you're going to have bad outcomes.

Sometimes it just comes down to delaying short term gratification for long term stability.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

Thank you.

And to add. I feel many of the new wealthy city dwellers do their best to piss on the 'deplorables' ie, old style working class left leaning traditional Labour voters like my hard working parents who managed to put 4 children through college. They were naturally suspicious of power plays that forced them out of being able to support their family no matter what party. I am not sure how they would feel about current problems but they surely would not vote Labour. They have been sold out by the urbanites. In all likelihood they would support one of the fringe parties and would be considered victims of 'far right conspiracy theorists'. That is as ugly as things are. I detest that kind of attitude. It is extremely short sighted and crass. They are up their own arrogant arses..

It your choice I ain't bending your arm. As I said just don't complain about your comfort or heating if you choose the holiday.

Here's a clue as to where I stand, I chose the insulation and did it myself out of my own pocket. I ain't whinging about been hard done by and I guarantee I have less disposable income than you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

I choose both, one will be paid at the tax payers expense through the grant system, I will get 200e(cost to taxpayer 1300) worth of fibreglass thrown in my attic and your taxes will pay for it thereby subsidising my long haul jolly(emitting 8 tonnes CO2) to vietnam (no benidorm for me)to see my uncle Charles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

lol, I’m beginning to think these 2 greenies are one and the same person.

Both are certainly very presumptuous and dictatorial.

You make your own choices, I don't give a **** what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭roosterman71

The whole "buy a new EV instead of driving what you have" boils my piss. Firstly, buying a new car cost serious cash these days and it makes no sense for a huge amount of people to change from a functioning car (whatever type it is) to a new EV.

Secondly, the EV being cheaper to run is also horseshit as the upfront cost in many cases is much higher. I'd a look on Volkswagon there and the cheapest Golf is from €32,595 while the cheapest equivalent EV, the ID.3 is from €42,965. That's over 10k in the difference. I'll be told now the tax is cheaper, but by ~€100 a year. A long time to make that up. Running costs will of course be less, how long will it take to make up ~10k in the difference?

Post edited by roosterman71 on

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

Yes, was amazed to fiscover that the new 3008 will start at 40k for ICE and 50k for the BEV, in France, more subsidies will be needed, but 50k for a 3008 (even 40k) is insane

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Really? Burning turf and driving a diesel really has got up the wick of the greens these last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

The quickest way to fix the rental market would be to start with reducing demand. Net migration into Ireland is heaping pressure on the availability and cost of housing and thus rents, not to mention increased pressure on education, healthcare and welfare provisions.

Thats long before the environmental costs of migration into Ireland = more cars, increased traffic, more C02 emissions, more electricity generation, more pollution as sewerage systems are not able to cope, more demand on water services, increased tonnage going to landfill, increased demand for food, increased air travel as many new arrivals jet home to visit friends and family... and so on.

It bewilders me how any genuine greenie can champion open borders but yet castigate the natives for having the audacity to hit out to Spain for a week to escape a crappy wet Irish Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

There isn't enough Uranium. And my infeasible comment was deliberately facetious.

There's plenty of uranium. And plenty of other options too. There isn't enough minerals for greentech as currently envisaged. So you may have been facetious but you were nonetheless correct.

It's not unfeasible to do something just because it's enormous in scale if it replaces something we're already doing that's on an even more enormous scale

Unless the thing you're trying to introduce doesn't scale like the old stuff. And it doesn't.

The Greens are flogging a dead horse. And when it doesn't work out they'll claim we weren't trying hard enough. And so they will double down until they either wreck the place, or are booted out for the charlatans they are.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,248 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

kabakuyu threadbanned

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There hasn't been a reactor completed in France since 1998. And last year output was half what it should have been.

Since 1995 the USA started building five reactors So far three have been abandoned at great expense.

Twelve years after the Tsunami Japan still has 80% of it's reactors offline. Most were unaffected but still offline.

Germany abandoned nuclear power for political reasons. So did Italy.

Using Russian or Chinese designs or money is at best a hostage to fortune. India is where Enron had a half built reactor valued way above it's actual condition of a radioactive ruin that was late abandoned. Also at best India and China will only be serving the domestic market for the foreseeable future.

That pretty much covers most of global nuclear power apart from the snake-oil that is SMR's. Tench 94 is full of non-commercial SMR's. Hundreds have been in use since the 1950's. Non-commercial ones are still a pipe dream.

Hydrocarbons can be made from fuel to energy. Germans were doing it in WWII. Ammonia could also be used like fossil fuel for large vehicles.

Coke is used to provide thermal energy and an remove the oxygen. Hydrogen can do both too, though electrical reduction of iron similar to copper or aluminium would be a better option. Places like Iceland use renewables to win aluminium so it may get used more if steel gets more expensive. The amount of petrochemicals that are used for pharma is miniscule and at the very worst we could make from distillation of wood and other organics. Cement is a huge problem and alternatives that incorporate insulation should be used. Here we also could look at limestone bocks to replace bricks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

Just came across another country as deluded as Ireland. Australia's plans for net zero by 2050 don't stack up. They have something like 55 GW of generating capacity right now. They plan to build 60 GW of utility solar, and 60 GW of rooftop solar. They'll generate hydrogen for storage and build a new pumped hydro facility called Snowy 2.0. Then, incredibly, they're going to have 45 GW of residential Tesla Powerwalls and EV batteries hooked up to the grid in a V2G system.

A recent review of their plans noted that they had forgotten to cost the huge amount of new transmission that they're going to need. People are enthusiastically installing rooftop solar, but the return on investment is reducing as the utilities have to charge more for power to service customers who only use electricity at peak times, and get feed-in tariffs for producing lots of solar power when it's not needed. Nobody is sure if the V2G will work so that people's car batteries are charged when they need them, but are still available to buffer the grid at peak times.

Sounds like another case of pure hopium.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The UK government is well on the way to reversing the so obviously damaging measures to ordinary people promoted by the climate lobby.

Good to see the initiatives over there confronting and reversing some of the madness and the same will happen here.

I know some here follow opinion polls closely. Latest one shows SF, GP and Aontu are all up, FF, FG, SD are all down

RTE news : Sinn Féin remain most popular party, poll suggests

Personally I don't put much stock in polls, there's really only 1 poll that matters

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭patnor1011

I wonder where they are going to get all minerals needed for that solar and battery storage. Probably opening couple hundred more mines in some countries out of sight. Sure, as long as they stay somewhere in Africa we are golden and can congratulate ourselves for our valiant efforts in saving the planet for future generations. Someone think about the children!

Meanwhile, constantly leaking carcinogenic harmfull lubrication oils from all those beautifull windmills are blowing across our land and seas. But hey, as long as useless eaters cant see it they should shut up and enjoy daily dose of micro cancer particles spray.

• Advertisement

So driving a ICE doesn't involve mining, that's news to me.

Post edited by Shoog on

Advertisement