Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where have all the workers gone?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Similar in a lot of places. A turning point will occur.

Sooner kids don't see apprenticeships as a dirty word, the better.

The amount of useless 3rd level courses out there is outstanding.

Increasing population, huge under supply of housing, meaning it’s both ludicrously expensive and poor quality.

We aren’t accommodating essential workers in that mix. Eventually that causes major issues with services.

Poor quality?

Bring back bedsits for the youngsters.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

The quality is absolutely abysmal - overcrowding, being expected to house share as a grown adult and paying high rent to do so, a huge % of rental accommodation being pitched as reasonable for young adults and even middle aged adults is shared accommodation built designed to be suburban family homes.

Typical rental here has poor quality do fit out, usually the cheapest fittings you can find. Landlords seem to pick up furniture in skips or something.

Then you’ve the issues with dampness, mould, poor housing infrastructure : lack of insulation, bad windows, crazy, weird and very inefficient heating systems… bad appliances… the list is endless.

We are expecting people on average incomes live in grossly overpriced hovels and be thankful for it, so they just leave.

I’m seeing that particularly with difficulty retaining continental workers. A lot of people now seem to come here expecting to be able to setup a life, seeing attractive salaries and then can’t find any housing and just leave again.

Also the stats don’t show many Irish people moving to continental Europe - only about 78,000 in total live permanently elsewhere in the EU. Most of us seem to go to other anglophone counties, many of which also have housing issues —

in Ireland there’s a million and one reasons why we seem to be unwilling or unable to build more houses or public transit infrastructure and undersized all the essential public services, yet we want all the goodies that come with a growing economy and population..

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

It's taken a long time but even some 'I'm alright Jack' type parents are beginning to question why their kids can't leave home etc. Just check out the slow and steady reduction in % support for FFG. More and more are finally waking up, and having housing policies that appear to only have the sole goal, and that's to keep property prices high? WTF!!

Yes, many other Anglosphere cities are experiencing similar problems but find me anywhere with the level of dysfunction that there is in the Dublin market. Really impacting on the jobs market now. It's not as if government weren't warned about this either.

Medium to long term solution is to invest outside of the Greater Dublin area.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I won't be around to see it, but if you are in your 40s, Ireland and Germany are probably the best places to make a life for yourself. Ireland still has a young enough population and Germany as let in a large block of young immigrants, so both have a fair chance of maintaining high productivity for a longer period so can probably afford to pay for services etc... long term. Holding on to as many young Ukrainians would not be a bad idea either. But I guess after the war the reconstruction investment in the country will make it take off big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭893bet

A huge problem is too many shite 3rd level courses. People are being sold a little of the “be what ever you want to be”. Sure but you will be unemployed or badly paid following your media degree or masters on Harry Potter or whatever.

All the video shared of the Garda being abused by **** must be a subconscious turn off from a young age to Garda entry.

But teaching…….:I know you won’t be killed with money, especially in Dublin, but anywhere else in the country it’s a glorious job due to the hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Hamachi

With respect to Germany, are you referring to the influx sanctioned by Merkel in 2015/2016? If yes, I wouldn’t be relying on that cohort to maintain productivity, given that in recent assessments, almost 80% remain unemployed and in receipt of Hartz IV welfare payments..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

In US health insurance is almost always employer provided. Certainly for high paid jobs compared to irish equivalents

Post edited by timmyntc on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

I don't live in Dublin but I do live in a commuter town south of Dublin. New 4 bed detached houses are selling for almost half a million euro. Its mad money. How are people with goodish jobs supposed to afford that? Now you can get older homes for cheaper but most people want a new home and some of the older ones would be in less desirable areas.

Also in my town, its very hard to find a doctor if you don't already have one, it's almost impossible to get a dentist, secondary school places are hard to find, (not possible but every year kids are put on a wait list so causes stress on people), there are issues with the water supply at times, and of course there are issues with drugs that are becoming more obvious every week. Our garda station was downgraded but anti social issues are on the rise.

Tradesmen are in short supply and its very hard to get anyone to do anything especially the small jobs. Our society is changing before our very eyes and noone is doing anything about it. The government don't seem to care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Hamachi

No it isn’t. If you ever worked in the US, you’d understand that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TokTik

2 massive world renowned cities. Of course they’re going to be expensive.

I did a quick random Daft search. In Carlow town, there’s 1 rental available. Mullingar there’s 9 at an average of €1300 a month. 4 in Killarney at an average of €1300 a month. Shannon, 1 apartment €1300 a month.

Kensington, walking distance to the CBD in Sydney. Over 800 available. Like Drumcondra, except nice. Similar pricing to down the country in Ireland. And wages are a lot higher in Aus.

https://www.realestate.com.au/rent/in-kensington,+nsw+2033/list-1

Rents in Sydney are as cheap as places down the country in Ireland.

Kensington, is like Drumcondra, except nice. Walking distance to Sydney CBD. Plenty available for about €1300. Which is the average for Shannon, Mullingar, Carlow. And wages in Aus, esp Sydney are a lot higher.

https://www.realestate.com.au/rent/in-kensington,+nsw+2033/list-1

Saw a degree in influencing advertised during the week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

As was commented to me - if/when the war in Ukraine ends, Europe and America will help bankroll the rebuilding work. And if you think it's hard getting a tradesman now, it'll be impossible if that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It should not be surprising, and it should be welcomed.

"Influencing" is just another aspect of the ongoing evolution of marketing and media.

It should be part of the education of someone looking to work in marketing or media.

Anyone wasting their time on useless courses like this shouldn’t qualify for any grants or government help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,669 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'm living at home on a lot more money than that. The issue with renting at the moment isn't just affordability, it's availability.

I do pay my parents rent, though, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

No different from a journalism or media course. Plenty of money to be made considering traditional media is circling the drain.

How many people under 30 buy newspapers or watch the news on TV, or even watch broadcast TV at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭tinytobe

That's a huge problem in Germany. Also, they often don't learn the local language, and don't even respect the rule of law in Germany and are the reason why the right wing AfD in on the rise in the polls. It's also the reason, why some in the UK voted for Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I have a bit of a maybe unique take on this, as a society we have become well-off enough to not need to work as much as we used to, with more individuals opting to work less than full time, more rejecting careers with unsocial hours ( a shortage of chefs, nurses, and care workers ) because they have the choice to do so.

Then there is the perfecting society issue, we rarely hear of bad teachers anymore for the simple reason that it is harder to get away with a drinking problem or similar nowadays because there is too much monitoring and paperwork ( thanks to the invention of the computers and the internet ) the downside of having to sparkle all the time is individuals looking to work part-time. When they raised the age for joining the Garda loads with families gave up jobs and took out loans to join the lure of the permanent and pensionable, today it is not the career it used to be because of the expectations and the monitoring and the expectation to sparkle all the time, it's the same with all jobs. We have become a well-off comfortable society we can import people to do the low-paid jobs we don't like.

Changes in family life, I had a conversation with someone I know recently about this, their father was a Garda, and their mother a nurse and they had a large family the only activities they did were GAA and Irish dancing parents didn't go with them they were giving the 30p and sent off by themselves, when the oldest was a teenager they were left minding the others and were told lock the door and don't let anyone in. These were middle-class people.

Today parents are expected to always be psychologically present for their children, to go to all activities with them to be involved in their children's lives, it is impossible to be in a job where you are expected to work full time and parent like that so people are opting for part-time work.

However, its mostly has to do with wealth as a society we are wealthy enough to have choices around working.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭amacca

I am sure there are plenty of negative aspects and cunty students. But I suspect certain subjects have a solid classes (harder subjects that will typically be filled with more studious interested types (maybe honours maths, chemistry etc).

Any way finishing at 4 every day. Midterm breaks, Xmas, Easter and a full summer off. Come live in the reall world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭amacca

I have and I preferred it tbh. School in it's current format would wear you down and ultimately break you....and it's just getting ever more ridiculous as far as I can see.

It's cunty in the real world too, and all different kinds of cuntiness but I honestly believe the majority of people who think being a teacher is a cushy number would change their tune if they had to do it (and I mean do it for real not try it for a week or two and try it in your bog standard average school warts and all, not harry potters private boarding school although they probably have a different set of fuckologies to contend with ) there are an ever increasing number of either morons or loons/fantasists to contend with that only have your worst interests at heart and that's just your management "team" and various department organisations.

Now I suppose horses for courses, you see some who appear un ground down by it.......but they ain't the majority and glorious it is most definitely not.

Honestly, grass isn't always greener.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

How has what was once a desirable career that could provide a middle-class lifestyle changed? what are the changes in society that have led to this?

• Advertisement

Excuse me. Influencing course will be tough. Only the strong will survive. In a few years(8 minutes) it'll be as honest, difficult and logical as gender studies!

Advertisement