Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuclear - future for Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

More f*cking nonsense comparisons with Germany and France.

France can go to a high % grid nuclear generation because they are a portion of a pan European grid. How many times are these idiot comments going to surface? The 32 counties are a small island ffs. Tiny compared to the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

... this is why we are spending so much on interconnects.

Renewables work very well at scale, especially when you cross climate zones. The European grid includes three countries in North-west Africa. You'd imagine this means then providing us with solar, but actually it's wind: these countries have a different wind climate to the continent.. generally when it's calm here it's windy there, and when our demand is low (summer) theirs is high.

There has been a lot of investment in these countries by European energy companies for precisely this reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

Well, Germany has the same advantages, and its energy costs are twice those of France and is an order of magnitude more CO2 intensive. Should we continue to follow their lead?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

We are not the same scale as either France or Germany. We cannot accommodate one reactor, but would need at least two, and would have to change the law to even contemplate even one.

So ... should we continue to follow Energiewende policies seeing what a dismal failure it's been in Germany?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

French nuclear will be keeping the lights on here via that new interconnector in Cork - good thing too given the wrecking ball that is Eamon Ryan and his daft inflationary energy policies

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Errr…. you mean France’s neighbours including Germany have been keeping the lights on in France for the past year or more with as much as 50% of France’s Nuclear reactors offline.

We already export twice as much electricity as we import over the existing interconnector and this is expected to continue or even widen as we build more interconnectors and offshore wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

BS - why do think German coal use and energy imports keep spiking during peak demand times!!??

PS: Dumping excess wind energy on neighbouring grids during windy periods brings no benefit to this country, plus we have locked in sky high energy prices thanx to the ongoing RESS farce

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Germany hasn't installed enough renewables to provide 100% of peak demand. The target for net zero is still miles away, come back in 2050 and complain if the emissions are less than carbon offset in other sectors.

Again to remind you yet again that nuclear sucks at being dependable. German nuclear in 2012 - 2015 started off with nine reactors producing 12.6GW. This is not a chart of stable reliable baseload by any stretch of the imagination.

From 27th-28th Sept 2013 and from 2nd-4th August 2014 they were without TWO THIRDS of nuclear power. The times when a third or even half the power was unavailable are more numerous.

It's hard to tell from the chart but one nuclear plant was taken offline later in 2015.

https://www.agora-energiewende.de/en/service/recent-electricity-data/chart/power_generation/01.01.2012/31.12.2012/today/

2050 eh? If they succeed, they'll have accomplished what France did before 1990. And the Energiewende first became a thing in West Germany in 1980, so ... 70 years and how many trillions of Euro?

• Advertisement

"Nuclear is safe, look we passed all safety tests"

*fakes calibration certs for a decade*

With regards to Australia which was mentioned a lot in the last page or so, it seems like their plans to provide backup for renewables are not exactly going according to plan. Quelle surprise. One of the no doubt many projects they'd need to back up renewables enough to replace coal, Snowy 2.0, a pumped hydro scheme in the Snowy mountains in New South Wales.

Well, to say that it's not exactly going according to plan would be a bit of an understatement. It's more like a car crash, inside a dumpster fire, on board a train wreck. Suffice it to say, I don't think the Aussies are going to be ditching fossil fuels any time soon, and at that not at any sane cost. Kind of like Germany.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

$2 Billion

That's how much of an additional tax break they were looking for to keep the Virgil C. Summer expansion on the rails. But it was abandoned in 2017. $9Bn + interest is what the 700,000 South Carolina utility customers are paying off on their bills. And $137.5 million to settle fraud charges. More recently fraud charges against one of the execs were dropped when it transpired that ratepayers were on the jury. Even after moving the trial already. The debacle affected that many people they'll have to work harder to find an impartial jury.

The one US nuclear plant constructed since the millennium was seven years late and $17 billion over budget. Except it's still not finished and fully commissioned. Seven years of fossil fuel to keep the lights on during the delays so it won't be carbon neutral by 2030 as it won't even begin to offset construction emissions by then.

Historically nuclear projects can get cancelled at the drop of a hat. nuclear suffered a renewed economic meltdown and fierce public pushback in the aftermath of the Three Mile Island accident in 1979. By 1983, these factors prompted the delay or cancellation of 100 nuclear units—nearly 45% of total commercial capacity previously ordered. Massive costs rarely mentioned by nuclear supporters. And the additional costs of providing power while replacements for the cancelled projects can come online.

Methinks you didn't watch the video, the Snowy 2.0 project now has a projected cost of $12bn. No idea if it will actually end up as that, or when it will come online. And by all accounts they've already spent more than twice the initial projected cost.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowy_2.0_Pumped_Storage_Power_Station

As for the situation in South Carolina, South Carolinians pay 13.61 US cents per kw/h for energy, which is actually a decline on the previous year of 4.5%. Meanwhile here in Ireland, we pay the USD equivalent of 43c. We've actually eclipsed both Germany and Denmark, in the latter case by a wide margin, in terms of having stupidly high energy costs. I would love to have South Carolina's problems - and I doubt I'm alone in that.

https://www.chooseenergy.com/electricity-rates-by-state/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/263492/electricity-prices-in-selected-countries/

South Carolina's energy costs have much more to do with being directly connected to the US Eastern electricity grid than any local generating choices.

And those low prices come at a cost of some pretty lousy reliability figures...The USA is in no way an example of how to run an energy system (even when you exclude the comically awful Texas grid).

We are an isolated island grid, so all our import and export had to happen via expensive DC interconnects.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

According to the ESB, I have had 35 power disruptions this year so far. Last year was probably worse and most years are similar. Pot, Kettle black.

", the Snowy 2.0 project now has a projected cost of $12bn."

That's less than the $17Bn the USA's latest nuke is over budget by so far.

Nearly 45% of reactors were cancelled between 1979-1983. 100 reactors. That's more than the USA has today.

Nuclear isn't reliable. 50% of the nuclear plants started this millennium in the USA have been cancelled. None of the others are remotely on time or on budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Pumped hydro was originally developed as an addition to nuclear generation ,

Because theyre not great at ramping up and down,

So it'd be needed either way ,

I cant imagine environmental impact in the Snowys would be taken well by the public -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

A lot to unpack here, Firstly, as someone who has spent time in the US, I find the claims about their grid being unreliable to be somewhat strange. I suggest you both look at the data again. The average electricity price according to global data, is 18 cents US per kw/h. But that's just the average. South Carolina, which was given as an example of nuclear boondoggles and scandal, is about 4 or 5 cents under that at 13.61. But California, which has done the most of any US state to follow "woke" policies in all areas including energy, has the highest costs of any state in the Lower 48, at 29.58, which is more than double that of South Carolina and about 11 cents over the US average.

And Californians aren't getting very much for it, as many of their wildfires are caused by ancient and ill-maintained electrical infrastructure. Perhaps Californians just need to pay more ... 🙄

Meanwhile, France has none of these problems.

As for Snowy 2.0, the revised estimate of $12bn is just that - an estimate. Like the original estimate of $2bn. No idea if it will actually come anyway close to that as they still haven't done the necessary ground investigation AFAIK, and at any rate, they still have to get their TBMs out of the mud they're stuck in.

But let's be generous and assume that the debacle in South Carolina referenced in Capt'ns post really is all bad and it raised SCs energy costs from say 12 cents a kw/h to 13.61. I'd still love to have that problem over ours.

Post edited by SeanW on

SC is yet another place where there's no nett emissions saved by nuclear. Nearly half of South Carolina's electricity comes from coal. Cheap n' dirty.

In case it's escaped your attention again France lost half of it's electrical output last year. Nuclear is dependable right up until it isn't and then it might not come back on line for years , if ever.

• Advertisement

Without knowing where you live it’s hard to make any comparison at all, but I’m willing to bet you’re not in a built-up area.

Your nuclear is unreliable lie again, for about the 10th time.

No I am not in a built up area. With 3 more disconnects early this morning, it's now 38 for the year. Of course in typical Irish fashion, I pay a higher standing charge than urban dwellers for the privelidge of having a substantially poorer service.

Blah, blah France blah blah unreliable blah blah. Same as it ever was..

The other thing that is the same is that French nuclear is currently providing 60% of their needs and their CO2 output is the highest it's been all day at 34g per kw, more than double what it was a few hours ago, wheras in anti-nuclear green Ireland, it' 270g per Kw.

Renewables are incredibly reliable in not providing energy, but you and others never phrase it that way. Solar is reliably unreliable 90% of the time, and onshore wind is reliably unreliable with an averge 75% unavailability factor.

If the blue line were nuclear, you would be doing your little unreliable nuclear song and dance routine at full voice, but it's not nuclear, it's wind, and it's really, really unreliable:

It took me all of 60 seconds to debunk this nonsense.

To be fair, the data are from 2021, and things may have changed massively in the 2 years since, but it looks like coal only makes up 15% of their power usage, with the majority coming from nuclear. Oh and the majority of their coal plants are slated for decommissioning. Your posts, frankly, cannot be taken seriously.

Post edited by SeanW on

This sounds like a neighbour of yours is overloading their electricity supply; that's less of a grid fault, and more of a too-cheap-to-pay-for-a-three-phase-connection fault. Legally, it can be very difficult to get customers like this to stop abusing their supply. A relative has a similar situation: they know exactly who it is, but have had no luck in getting action taken against them.

It's now 39. Yes, I have spoken to an engineer from ESB Networks and told him this is what I thought the problem was, while he tried to fob me off with a steaming pile of BS about 'wet wood' swans flying into lines, branches in the wind and several other lies. I told him that I didn't believe him, basically. Funilly enough, ESB were at my door last night trying to get me to switch providers, which i was happy to as Airtricity are gouging bleeps. When I mentioned the problems he said the engineer was talking bullsh​it. After the switch I'll try complaining to the ESB and try to get them to take on Networks.

The only real problem with 'wet wood' Networks has is the amount of it between the ears of it's engineers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭gjim

Regarding the reliability of grids, according to tweedledum, in Ireland "I have had 35 power disruptions this year so far." and according to tweedledee "as someone who has spent time in the US, I find the claims about their grid being unreliable to be somewhat strange." You spent time in the US? - let me bow my head and twist my cap in deference to your incredibly unique world experience.

So case closed I guess. A couple of unverified anecdotes with no supporting data or facts. US with nuclear has more reliable electricity than Ireland because the latter doesn't have nuclear.

Let this be a lesson to all. This is the kind of anti-scientific brain rot that can set in from years of denying climate change in various ways while living in a dream/fantasy that your contrariness represents superior insight and knowledge instead of facing the obvious - you're just an anti-scientific crank. And unfortunately you lack the imagination to even be original in your crankdom - having just bought all your "contrarian" ideas from American "culture war" crackpots of the conspiratorial right wing variety. But dammit you're invested!!! You've spent hours, days, weeks of your lives to peddle anti-scientific nonsense to an audience that spend most of their time rolling their eyes. But every now an again, another crank will give you a thumbs up and it makes all that effort worth while.

Anyway, back on track. Yes grid reliability is carefully measured and tracked. SAIDI (system average interruption duration index) is one of the most common metrics. Here's a report on from the US EIA's: https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=54639 - on average a US customer lost electricity for 7 HOURS in 2021. How about Ireland? In 2020, the worst year in a decade, it was 48 minutes (in 2019 it was under 20 minutes). Or Germany? 10.73 MINUTES. Which is less than half what it was a decade ago when they had more nuclear power.

Texas is the main contributor to that 2021 figure. They have their own separate grid (because Texas), but it's under resourced and poorly maintained (because Texas politics), and in 2021 it collapsed for several days.

The other two North American grids serving the USA are a lot better, but still not great by the standards of other developed nations - they can't avoid the problems of trying to run essential infrastructure while also trying to turn a profit every quarter...

Wow. Tweedledum and Tweedle-dee? That's really mature. And I don't recall any of us claiming that: "US with nuclear has more reliable electricity than Ireland because the latter doesn't have nuclear."

Neither of us ever made the bolded claim! But hey, you sure showed that strawman what for 😁

The claim about the US grid was not backed with data at the time it was made, hence I regarded it as strange given my experience. As to the data you provided, they clearly show that the majority of downtime is caused by extreme events, such as hurricanes, snowstorms and wildfires. Things that aren't really a problem in Ireland. The average downtime not caused by these events is around or under 2 hours average per year. Even including disasters, most states have on average less than 2 incidents per year at a total duration of 5 hours or less. That's not great but it's not horrifying.

Post edited by SeanW on

• Advertisement

Extreme weather isn't the same thing as rare weather.

Advertisement