Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nagorno-Karabakh

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's quite strange the lack of outrage over this as up to 120,000 ethnic Armenians look like they could end up being displaced. It's one thing to say that Armenia also did this to the Azeri in the 1990s, but I don't think Turkey and Azerbaijan will be happy until Armenia is wiped off the map. Armenia appears to have no reliable allies in this situation ever since Russia has essentially stood back and allowed this ethnic cleansing to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

^^Yes, what of the Tsar in Russia?

I suppose too busy with his own bit of "ethnic cleansing".

Both countries seem like they would be in his sphere of influence and such in the language of the New [Russian] Multipolar World, birthed in Feb 2022.

Yet a poster (Elmer) pipes up to go after the EU and blame it for this somehow? I think the leverage of "Gayrope" may not be that great here (vs others, like Turkey and Israel perhaps). I thought its tentacles were supposed to be kept well away from the Russian near abroad in any case?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭briany

Azerbaijan appears to be an ally of Turkey, and the Turks seem to really hate Armenia, especially ever since the late Ottoman period leading to the Armenian Genocide. It's a hatred that Azerbaijan shares.

I know the historical situation is not black and white, but the expulsion of the entire Armenian population (or practically so) is going to do little more than deepen the antipathy for generations to come. People talking about the UN failing in this situation - I agree, although the real failure was maybe in the 90s war and not being able to set something up that allowed both populations to live next to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Stoned_Rosie

Azerbaijan bomb land that leads to 100k refugees fleeing yet nothing on isolating Azerbaijan for the "unjustified" invasion. Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Nermal

He didn't blame the EU for anything, he just pointed out their hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭Odhinn

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Mike3549

You cannot invade your own country. By all international borders, it is a recognised territory of Azerbaijan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

when you can understand why some countries are ‘trustworthy allies’ and others are ‘regimes’ get back to me, ok?

• Whats happening now is merely the latest round of tit for tat ethnic expulsions thats been going on since the early 20th century. In the late 1980s for example what was left of the Azeri population were turfed out of Armenia. I’d say Azerbaijan were merely biding their time to respond in kind. Sadly for those Armenians that lived in Nagorno Karabakh the era of them living there is over and they are unlikely ever to return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭Rawr

Some footage emerging over the weekend of journalists going into Stepanekert, showing the place abandoned

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Was a French article related to this on RTE's European news section.

Apparently Azerbaijan was invited to recent EU/European leaders meeting in Granada (Armenia was represented at it) and snubbed it, perhaps showing the limitations of EU/European influence on this unfortunately.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Any word on the plight of the people who fled?

I've seen nothing about the conflict since the media attention shifted at the weekend, but also no appeals from NGO/charity groups for donations for refugees either, which I find very odd

edit: scratch that, I had a look and did find some limited appeals, no big campaigns though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭Rawr

Very little alas, and the Isreal news has likely pushed this away for the foreseeable. Last updates from Armenia was that they were trying to rehouse all 100k+ people throughout the country with many apparently offering rooms to the refugees. However Armenia’s resources are limited even on a good day. They’re going to need external help to ensure that these refugees have shelter before the full force of winter sets in.

In the meantime it has been very quiet within Nagorno-Karabakh. I haven’t seen anything from there since those reporters were invited in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭Homelander

This whole affair has surely rendered the CSTO a new-age League of Nations, effectively defunct.

No great surprise, but massively embarrassing for Moscow and will push Armenia away from Russia. Though it seems Armenia is somewhat powerless in this situation without any support from Moscow.

Not an expert in this region at all but I thought this was a very interesting read.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The only other place for them to go is Iran, and that won't end well either.

Unfortunately they've got nothing to offer the West, Azerbaijan has the oil, the close connections to Turkey and therefore NATO, the weapons contracts with the Israelis, and the potential for being a useful tool for causing unrest in Iran. Even earlier today I read Zelensky was discussing and agreeing with the Azerbaijani premier on territorial integrity.

The absolute political silence regarding the 100,000 ethnically cleansed just a few weeks ago tells you all you need to know about their future.

Advertisement