Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DAngelo Bailey

Serious discipline problem at Liverpool finally catches up with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

The fans never felt more separated to the squad than last season. Ange/Son/Maddison/Romero are trying to build a rapport again and get the good feeling back again. It probably was a bit much but guess that’s the reason it was over the top slightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Can't begrudge the spurs stadium going off at full time, sure when they dissect the game they'll have bits to talk about but to score an injury time winner against a team that's had your number for years now can only be celebrated. Ok, reminded me of the darts at Christmas which is a bit cringey but hey ho id have joined in if I was there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

PGMOL admit the Diaz goal should have stood. Major major cock up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

PGMOL have released a statement apologizing for the diaz incorrect call.

they are doing a full review and blaming human error....jokers.

that person needs to be sacked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭mobydopy

Sick of VAR, just get rid of it if they can't use it properly

was yer man taking a dump or how the **** was that missed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

How the utter fúck do you get that wrong. Not the first time either, happened in Brentford - Arsenal last year. Somebody "forgot" to draw the lines to check the offside. The sheer ineptitude on display is staggering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Neville seems to be implying more on Sky, they get the pics and the var mic feed in the gantry, sounds like they just said 'nah, feck it, carry on'

you know the way in horse racing or 100m sprints there is camera following down the line all the time..the PL have the money to do that if they want.

takes the nonsense perspective argument out of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Thats what I said pre matches.

Its the inconsistencies that kills the system. Pick a rule/standard and stick to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

They didn't forget to draw the lines this time, they just didn't look at the offside decision at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Joke of a decision.

Before anybody says it - these things do not balance out during a season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

FIFA and UEFA use the VAR like the image below, it's excellent and really shows if a player is on or off.

What's to stop the PL bringing this in and we don't have these issues anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Meaning the VAR officials had other, more sinister, reasons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Common sense.

What a disaster of a decision.

Totally ridiculous.

How do var forget to check a goal like that's just horrific

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Offside was a joke, not sure how they got that so wrong.

Red card was fair imo. Unluckly on Jones, but "he didn't mean it" isn't a defence that should hold any weight. Studs up with force on Bissouma's ankle, could have done serious damage.

4 points from Arsenal and Liverpool...i'll **** take that 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,190 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I was wondering how VAR decided on the Diaz offside goal so quickly in the first half. They decided not to look at it. Forget standing down officials for a weekend or 2 as punishment. They should be sacked. End of. They don't belong in the game.

Neville is now saying that they heard from the VAR feed that the check was complete so I'm completely confused now.

I haven't seen what Klopp has said but I'd like for him to come out in a calm manner and just say that he feels VAR is not up to the task and then walk off. The other managers will follow suit quick enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I think the issue most people have with the Jones one is VAR leaving the still of the impact on the screen so that's the first thing the ref sees.

There was a tackle from Spurs player 9n Gakpo before the Liverpool goal where his shin pins down Gakpos ankle. If you show the ref a still of that as well it's a red.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Massive, massive fùck up for that Diaz goal. Think everyone knew something wasn't right with it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

The issue here is that VAR is used to "punish" Liverpool and not used to also "punish" Liverpool.

VAR thought it correct to call the referee over to re-consider the yellow card, but not to have a look at the "goal".

Someone up here, and a few on Twitter have mentioned "sinister reasons" and its a fair point, because all they have to do is issue an apology and wring their hands.

The fundamental part of VAR I thought they had right, was offside. Now? If you knew the right people in VAR you could, in theory, make a lot of money!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

It benefitted my team today but what a joke the officiating and VAR is. Absolutely destroying the game. VAR allows them to see it in slow mo or draw a line as much as they want but they still constantly get it wrong.

Get rid of VAR and sack them all. Start again with a bunch of newly qualified refs because they can’t be any worse than the current crop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Getting rid of var, particularly for offside checks, is not the answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

As much as VAR officials had a nightmare with the offside call, it’s telling of the incorrectness of human perception that so many have a problem with the Curtis jones red. Call me a pussy but I judge tackles by what my reaction would be if I was on the receiving end and if someone buckled my ankle while going over the top of the ball then I’d want him removed from the game.

Can they get tech or data guys in to run VAR? Couldn't be any worse than the lads in there at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Of course it's not.

Getting people to work it cirrectly and Owning up properly when there is a problem would be the way forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

The can use the automated offside system used in the CL and serie A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

And then if I later buckle someone else's ankle, requiring them to be removed from the game, I'd like to remain on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

If they are claiming the refs did not check Diaz goal then they are going back on what they said when VAR was brought in and that every goal scored will be checked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Townsend mentioned that the pl were offered that system at the start of the season but turned it down, let's call a spade a spade, the only way anyone gets that decision wrong is if they were paid to, surely there will be an investigation,I don't mean by ref's,by UK police.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Agreed as VAR is probably one of the only places it can be used if implemented properly,it’s absolute, there’s no discussion about intent or an accidental movement it should be an example where science replaces human error.

One improvement I’d make is it should be measured from the leading foot or position of standing foot before the ball is played, even a millimetre difference between attacker and defender is definitive, as mentioned earlier finishing line at horse racing and athletics is a prime example where it seems to work.

Post edited by pavb2 on

Or they were checking their balls in the corner of the room and we're happy with the results. Check, check complete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ya know if you if your a rival fan and having a laugh tonight that's grand but the level of officiating is absolutely ruining the league. There is no excuse to hide behind, they have all the camera angles in the world to get the decision right every time.

The biggest problem I see is their is no accountability. I think there should be a public referee report after every game that the media are present.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

If they didn't actually check it, that goes beyond incompetence. I'm not a Liverpool fan, but you could see how they'd feel particularly persecuted by this, they've ignored their own protocols for no obvious reason.

There will be some conspiracy theory's born/fed by this.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

🤣🤣🤣🤣 apparently so (I know it's a joke message)

In all seriousness though the constant VAR mistakes highlights what I've said about PL officials for a long time, they are simply not good enough. Hearing Mike Dean going on about not wanting to show his buddy made a mistake in a game last year shows the whole lot of them up for exactly what PGMOL is and it's a job for the lads club where competency and consistency is irrelevant and protecting the dogshite excuses for match officials is more important than doing the job correctly.

Howard Webb taking over makes no difference as he was a part of that culture for years himself. Sack the entire lot of them and bring in foreign refs to officiate, the PL is absolutely rolling around in money and these constant gaffes are making a farce of their product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,066 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How many significant human errors are they going to allow to happen this season?

I thought var, with all its slo mo and camera angles, was meant to put an end to bad decisions.

It's a talking point now nearly every weekend. Apologies are worthless.

The premier league clubs including Liverpool voted against it.

is that possible? i think they should get ref's in from italy and germany that are dispassionate and will call it like it is.

the current crop don't seem capable of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This is quite the moment. The level of incompetence in PGMOL is stunning. This will start to effect confidence in the game. And confidence in the game is big business, people will stop betting on football if they feel the result is randomly decided by the officials.

its grand cos there was an apology.

once, fine. this **** has been happening since var came in.

no one cares about token apologies. if you cant get it correct, change the system.

• Advertisement

Or make a training panel from retired foreign refs and look to hire and train ex foreign players as your new refs. Those players would have no connection to current PL teams and will have experience of playing at a professional level.

You could do something similar with the young lads who leave clubs early because of injury etc. Retrain them and give them a career in football.

There's to much money in the PL for this not to blow up. You can't keep saying you've the best league in the world, with the best players and best managers and then you've the absolute worst officiating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Given that Mike Dean's recent interview proved that VAR is not always making decisions based purely on the merits of the incident, but rather also take into account the feelings of the ref in the game since they're mates, shows that whoever works on VAR should be completely separate from the pool of refs. Oversight can't be so emotionally involved with the subjects they're overseeing.

Oh deary me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That's insane... like, grand if that's a little misunderstanding, but once the ref is giving a kick out for the offside, how is the VAR guy not right back in his ear saying "oh sorry, misunderstanding, that was a definite clear goal." How the fck do they just continue on after knowingly making that mistake?!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement