Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advise regarding car repair/ return

• 29-09-2023 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I bought a used car from reputable dealership ( provided 1 year comprehensive warranty) The car was also still under manufacturers warranty. Around 4.5 months the error popped up check exhaust system. I brought it 3 times to the manufacturers dealership under their warranty. Now last time they said they couldn’t able to locate the exact issue and the engine needs to open to diagnose and correct the problem as car was going into limp mode with error of exhaust system. It’s a big job and manufacturer warranty is void because the car where i bought from didn’t use the manufacturer oil filter ( at the time error popped up) it was on manufacturer oil filter. It feels they just find a way not to fix the issue. I contacted the dealership they said they are finding ways not to fix the issue and advise me to raise the issue to the customer’s support of the manufacturer . I have completely lost the faith in the car as in the last 6 months it’s been 3 times to the manufacturers garage. I spent a small fortune to buy this car. 

should I consult the solicitor or is there any way to return the car.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

What make / model is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Zak121

It’s hyundai tucson

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

What year is it? Realistically a manufacturer cant refuse warranty because a non genuine filter was used. However you have to prove that its of similar quality to the genuine one.

It comes with 5 year unlimited mileage warranty its 192 model.

the mentioned filter was used by the dealership i bought in. They said it’s not the same quality. The problem came after they themselves serviced the car. The car is still at 75k kilometres with the genuine oem filter

The dealer i bought the car and the manufacturer garage both blaming each other to fix the issue. And i m stranded with the car

• Advertisement

Ok the way I see it is that the dealer you bought the car from gave you a 1 years warranty. However its still under manufacturer warranty which the selling dealer thought they`d get away with using for your warranty so in effect didnt really give you a dealer warranty from them - only on paper.

The selling dealer used a non genuine filter (theres no such thing as a "genuine oem filter" ) on it which caused the problem and are now trying to claim it under Hyundai 5 year warranty which Hyundai in my experience can be very finicky about. Still under block exemption they are obliged to allow 3rd party filters be used but they will dig their heels in and fight it and its up to your selling dealer to prove that its the same quality.

However your warranty lies with the dealer you bought the car from - Hyundai warranty doesnt come in to it and honestly you probably should never have went to the Hyundai dealer at all but back to the selling dealer and let them sort the issues ie let them bring the car to a Hyundai dealer if they want to use the 5 year manufacturer warranty - They may use the fact that you brought it elsewhere against you since the last people to look at it were not the selling dealers technicians - Ive seen it happen in the past.

So time to get tough and forget about the Hyundai warranty approach -Try set up a meeting with the dealer principal and give them a chance to sort it out.

If that doent work then if the selling dealer is an SIMI dealer report them on the SIMI website - they have a decent enough mediation service. Then get a solicitors letter sent by registered post to the dealer principal mentioning that your warranty is with the dealer and not Hyundai as they arent a Hyundai dealer and you didnt buy it from a Hyundai dealer. And mention the fact that you were given a 1 years warranty from them and not Hyundai which is a separate issue.

Thats not your issue - the selling dealer has to honor the 1 years warranty they gave you.

today again i am onto to the selling dealership. Delaying tactics our service manager is not available we don’t have require tools for diagnostics. Call in on Monday to discuss with service manager when the car can be brought in . It might take weeks before they can sort out the situation . i will be left without a car in a stressful situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

To be fair, most dealer service departments only work Mon to Friday. Is the selling dealer a big outfit or gravel portacabin type outfit?

But you need to be down there first thing Monday morning and talk to the service manager, it's just too easy to be fobbed off over the phone. Don't go in with all guns blazing, be calm but firm with them. As said if you got a 1 year warranty from the selling dealer then it's their problem to fix, the fact they can or cannot rely on Hyundai to cover it is not your problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Whocare

Personally I be going down to dealer with my solicitor and try to talk nicely and if that doesn’t work let nice talk go out the window

• Advertisement

Its vw audi authorised service dealership with 200 cars in stock. In my experience with them in last few months not great keep playing delaying tactics . They never say no or yes. Keep circling around the point in a hope the customer gets tired.

Its vw audi authorised service dealership with 200 cars in stock. In my experience with them in last few months not great keep playing delaying tactics . They never say no or yes. Keep circling around the point in a hope the customer gets tired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Ignore the warranties as they are in addition to your consumer rights. The dealer has tried Repair, the 1st attempt at repair should be permanent, so the next steps are Replace or Refund. Ignore all talk of diags etc, they've had that chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,469 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

There are 2 warranties on the car but ultimately, you supplying dealer has offered you a warranty and as such it is their baby.

They are also the ones who fitted the non genuine filter so again it on them.

They are obliged to fix the car. If they can get huindai to do it, all.well and good but if not, it's not your problem.

It sounds like the supplying dealer didn't bother to buy any warranty at all for your car knowing it had the manufacturer warranty still running so any repair now is out of their own pocket.

Doesn't sound like a mad fix really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Whocare

It going on months you need to start putting on Serious pressure on them. Laughing at you in office oh yeah sevice Manager is not in today. It not like cheap old Bangor of car you paid Serious money from what you thought was Reputable garage were you would get good after sale sevice and what you got was sleepless nights

Post edited by Whocare on

I have the warranty document from the dealer. They charged me extra for the comprehensive warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,469 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Is it their own warranty or something like carprotect or mapfree warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

I'm with this guy - replace or refund, end of story.

Advertisement