Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Any of those 3 might go farming yet. Those “good jobs” often only look good from far away. And they’d still be new entrants, with new ideas, experience from a different sector, new interest, energy, etc (albeit with little farming experience and a steep learning curve!)

I think it’s an outdated notion that farming needs young lads in their 20s to take over from their parents.

So what if “no young person wants to farm anymore”. Doesn’t the man/woman recently married, in their 30s (or 40s), moving home, helping the parents, etc. bring something to the farming community?

I’m talking about my own situation to an extent but there’s no point in saying the world is ending just because the stereotype family farm of father passing on the place to the son isn’t happening much these days.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

Dont you know them boys all know each other see them around the ring arms round each other in the canteen laughing and joking driving new jeeps dressed like buisness men.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭green daries

My question is will people continue to pay big rental fees for land that's going to return way less of a turnover regardless of the price of milk there will be less stock to pay for it 🤔 so less income. Then throw the fact that milk is below breakeven and that the volume has just collapsed completely.

As regards the tax free leasing going I don't think it will but it would definitely reduce purchase price of land

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭straight

Wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them. Pure gangsters.

You have the right idea of taking the tax free rent if you can get away with it. Armchair farming is the best type of farming as far as I can see.

Some amount of busy fools renting ground and buying themselves work. My teagasc man was saying the other day that on a feed basis it is worth 2 to 300 an acre tops. I wouldn't pay 100 myself.

• Advertisement

It may be mj but its completely mental . It doesn't stack up no matter what way you work it out only one winner if they get their money form the famer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Agree …..think it’s completely nuts …..whatever floats lads boat tho …..Tegasc and advisors and other so called experts 🙄🙄🙄have a lot to answer for …..next year or so is going to be fairly hard on any medium to heavily borrowed farmers and some may not make it through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

The three have a site on the farm and don’t want to live on the farm, they are married in Dublin with young children with everything on their door step, weekends free for sport etc, and also realise farming is in trouble and hard to make a living out of sucklers and sheep and dairy is 7 day job.

A huge amount of dairy farms are this we no matter what they say about finished up at 340 bull

Ya but seems to take a long time for the lads in trouble to get caught out eventually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭ginger22

Well in fairness it is a fine set up with all new buildings and parlour and a good block of quality land. The lad who took it is a good goer. I wish him best of luck with it. I believe the underbidder was a cattle dealer from a neighbouring county.

Should have given it to the dealer be some craic after a couple of years 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

Tax free i hope for landowner .Itl not go belly up farm orgs lobbied for tax free leases big farms usually take these lease cus they have the cash.So big farms get bigger.Another trick being played by big farmersvis they can go into partnership with the young lad or lassie.I think they can get entitlement or if on put in there name definetly get theres more to these stories than we think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I disagree

im paying more than that for land and capital repayments every year. That farm will build alot of cash for the guy leasing it

it’s the usual case of those that can’t won’t and those that can do

At a milk price in low 30s ….with costs where they are 🤔

One year though MJ

you have to look at it in the length of the lease

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,815 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I agree with you lads that cone back into farming in there 30&40's will have a lot more life experience. As well many will have qualifications in other area that will benefit them farming. Biggest thing is if they are really interested in it. I started farming iny 40's because I was interested in it I learned and adapted fast. I had no negativity about my farming system.

This idea that a lad or lassie in there early twenties should be handed an asset worth a million more and left at it.

I like some to tell me in what other industry will that happens

Slava Ukrainii

Aware of that but too many lads lost the run of themselves last year and are going to overextend themselves this year to continue only with nitrates just so they won’t have to milk less cows etc …..lads got greedy because they bought into the hype …….Tegasc and a lot of so called advisors have gotten away very lightly amidst all this nitrates /dero /banding crap …..they with a very blinkered view tried to copy and paste a kiwi system into here since quotas went….load on the cows ..worry about everything else down the road …just get the cow in calf ,calve early to easy calving short gestation bulls and leave beef man worry about calves ….this advice and more has is where we are

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Do ye know lads I m sick of the crack the last few months here with fellas waiting to dance on each others grave .id find it hard to know who s going to manage and who won't and so I ll just stick to keeping my own show going.i sat down last week and worked what I have to pay and what cash is coming in and what I might carry into the spring.i d advice everyone do the same and let the man over the ditch do his own

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

It's fine to go farming in your 40's if your semi-retired. On the other hand if you've a family to look after and develop a farm that has been run down at the same time it's a different story.

• Advertisement

I was working full-time, the farm was 10miles from where we lived. We intended to live there but the young lads were involved in sports and other activities locally as well as going to school there. There was a decent second level school locally as well.

Ya now 20 year later I am semi retired. In a way I did it the hard way. The crash added nearly 10k to repayments for a year and 5k for another couple.

It hardened me. I too had a family through all this. I remember telling someone at the time and they asked how could I sleep, I told them mulling over it and not sleeping were not the answer, let the bank manager worry about it.

You just had to question every spending decision. Believe it not the noughties boom was worse. My kids questioning why we could not eat out or buy a newer car. Nowadays they realise the sacrifice that a dream costs. However they also realise that they all had cars from 18 years of age and college was funded by sacrifices made earlier.

If I had been handed a farmin my mid thirties or in my forties for nothing or the inheritance tax I have at least doubled it in size

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

you will own your land when your finished paying for it...... the young man renting this farm wont.. like anyone renting a farm you dont know when landowner will issue you with your P45... i cannot get my head around paying out nearly 1million quid in rent over 10 yrs and may have to walk away from farm if the landowners son who is a teenager wants to go farming... i would much prefer to do like you and buy the land.... at least your not reseeding it building up soil fertility fencing it etc etc for someone else...

We’d all love to buy land but it’s a pipe dream for most of us

The problem with trying to buy land at present is schemes bought in to support the dairy industry are making it unviable for many.

Get rid of tax relief on leasing, inheritance relief related to farming and limit the ability to buy farmland within a company setup (I am not sure how you would manage that maybe a substantially higher stamp duty) and the price of land in dairy area would half

Too many established dairy farmers with cash stashed in companies and a bit of land come up locally and all they see is that the money used to purchase it is money they might have to pay tax on if the pay it out as a dividend.

Tax free leasing is another land inflationary tool. First cousin of my better half bought land lately in a strong dairy area in the south east. He had a small farm already which allowed him to access tax free leasing. He plans on leasing the land he purchased for five years at least.

Look at the leasing rules in regarding to inheritance as well. If you inherit land and will have an inheritance tax bill the way around is to lease it put for is it 10 years. If you do not need the money after ten years you can sell it on and only pay tax on any increasing value. Business people are buying land to leave to inheritors as a way of avoiding a tax bill. I think you access the increased inheritance allowance as well

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭straight

The price of land is only going one direction imho. I've just done a deal to buy 20 acres off my next door neighbour. I wouldn't have bothered buying the outfarm last year if I thought that this bit was going to come up. Rent is dead money - It always was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Jack98

You could have been waiting another 30 years for that bit next door to come up for sale you’ll be glad of the outfarm. How many around the country are waiting their whole lives for that bit over the ditch that will never come up or be swept away from them when it does.

I would not entirely agree. The schemes listed in my last post are supporting land prices are are unlikely to be removed or changed ( although I think at some stage the government has to make changes to tax free leasing).

However if income drops from land due to a lower milk price and lower derogation limits it will limit or reduce land prices basically you could get the equivalent of the end of the noughties property crash in land values.

Volume coming on to the market is limited by various schemes

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Just something to keep in mind.... I think you mentioned recently you were considering going Ltd Company? You should consider doing that before buying the land as if you buy it in your own name, then form a company, the repayments will be classed as money coming from your company to cover a private debt and will deplete your directors loan account.

Yes he may have paid a million in rent but he’ll have nearly 6 m in milk sales @33c over 15 years

yes it would be nice to get the land cheaper but he’ll be generating money to buy his own land. That’s why guys do it. I know numerous ppl that are milking on more than the home place and they all do it to put themselves in a better position to buy land when it comes available

a farm the same size next to me made 23.3k an acre and the yard is all old stove buildings and of no use to modern agriculture. There is zero infasctructure on it. To turn that into a dairy farm for 180 cows or so it would take savage money in current environment so I see value in a farm that already has good facilities

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Jack98

If there is a margin in it at that like you say to build up a position to purchase land would these fellas not be better off going from it from day one. Know of a local multi unit guy paid 400 per acre this year for a 160 acre farm with sfp paid back surely you’d be better off trying to buy a place at that money if as you say there’s still a margin at that outlay?

Advertisement