Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

I just waltzed right by this. Damn it.

Yeah we were kinda hoping the Saffers were going to do that with Pollard so we could have gotten all indignant.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Stoned_Rosie

Genuinely think we're going to win the world cup.

I've never felt so confident in all my life. This Irish teams reminds me of Pep Guardiolas teams in soccer. We're just at the top of our game in every single facet.

NZ are not the team they were, even Australia gave them a game and we know what a shambles they are.

Only France or SA can stop us and we only have to face one of them once in the knockouts. We have no weakness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

We have no weakness?? I agree we are one of the favourites, we have been very lucky with injury in comparison to our main rivals for the trophy, France and South Africa, which has helped our chances but no weakness? We lack elite power in the pack which leaves us open to being smashed, as we were for long periods of the game against South Africa (and for short periods against Samoa), our line out is open to be targeted as it was successfully against South Africa and we lack elite pace in the backline so we don't have the ability to create tries from nothing in our own half, as the likes of France, New Zealand, ZA and even Scotland all consistently do.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I would completely disagree that we lack elite power in the pack and the South Africans were every bit as smashed by us as we were by them. Our lineout is currently problematic, though it's not been a consistent thing we have seen. The pace one I'll grant you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Stoned_Rosie

I don't think we were overpowered by South Africa? I think it was even throughout the game. We were very good in the first half, they were good in the 2nd.

Elite pace in the backs? Bundee is flying it and made a break v SA from our own half. Hansen is very quick and agile. Gibson Park is very quick for a scrum half.

For some reason, even though this has been a problem for 5 or 6 games, I trust POC to get the lineout right. It must be eating him up.

I think Kelleher had a few over throws the last day. He was deep breathing before throws and looked to have lost his nerve a little. Himself and Sheehan are so good in the loose. If one could deliver the darts, combined with lifting sorted etc, we really will give the WC a serious rattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Just on hosting the world cup, there is very little accommodation available in limerick this weekend. Was going to go see Munster v barbarians in thomond but I'm not a day tripper I'd want to stay over.

Only a few hotels available and mad money

Imagine throwing a world cup match in limerick into the equation. I don't believe forn a second the barbarians match has had an effect either

• Registered Users Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Sheehan's a significantly better thrower than Kelleher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The entire Irish team are using deep breathing and mindfulness techniques. Not sure who the team psychologist is but they have definitely introduced this recently.

I don't think it was the breathing technique like after a try Stephen. I felt it was just anxious on his behalf?

Deep breathing and rhythmic breathing to control adrenaline levels after a fright, euphoric moment etc is really old. Dr. Clare Weeks wrote about it and advanced it's use for panic attacks etc as far back as the 1950s.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Yep, if you focus on the out breath it will decrease your heart rate and reduce adrenaline in the blood stream. It can also improve cognitive function in moments of high stress.

I was very interested to see it being used in sports. It’s a balancing act, between wanting intensity, which the stress responses deliver and cognitive control to help make good choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

I needed some of the deep breathing techniques to calm myself down watching the first few lineouts Saturday. It is a problem for us, you could say we sorted it out but equally valid is SA stopped aggressively competing on our throw as the game went on.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Ribs1234

Leinster have been using the deep breath reset all season. Particularly in the forwards before a big scrum, lineout or tap penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

This is down to O’Connell he really needs to start doing the bread and butter stuff or else move aside and let someone else sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭ersatz

We’ve been having this lineout conversation for too long at this point. I’m surprised it’s still such a big problem. We are lucky there is such a depth of experience among the forwards to adjust and compensate during games.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Hi folks

I am finalising travel and ticket options.

As far as I can see unless something unlikely like SA not beating Tonga happens, Ireland cannot finish secon

It's either 1st or we come 3rd and get knocked out by Scotland beating us

Am I missing anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭techdiver

That is the most likely scenario. You'll know for certain after the SA v Tonga match tomorrow. Assuming SA get a TBP and win by 37 or more, baring some oddity in scoring they will have superior scoring difference to both Ireland and Scotland and if all teams finish on 15 the head to head will cancel so first place will go to scoring difference and then second place will e decided by head to head meaning we go out.

Now there is an odd outlier. If we allow Scotland to score 4 tries and have also scored 4 ourselves and assuming it's looking unlikely that we can come back, we should open the door and let Scotland have a field day. Why you say ask? Well if we allow Scotland to tonk us whilst we gain 1 match point that puts everyone on 15 and as above top is decided on scoring difference. Also as above if SA have the best scoring difference we go out but if Scotland have the best scoring difference SA would go out and we would go through second. Now obviously this is fantasy stuff but not impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Nope. Ireland don't do maths. We win. Play anyone. Why would we do favours for Scotland?

Incorrect, like a lot of your posts. Donegal won their first All Ireland in 1992.

Added to the fact Donegal played an attacking brand of football in 2012, unlike the 2011 ultra defensive style.

Sharpen up on your content mate.

Ridiculous post.

Such a nit picker. Its only 20 years in the difference.

Get over yourself.

That wasn't my point. I firmly believe we will win. I was just covering all possible eventualities. My point was if you were already losing with no hope of comeback but had already secured a 4 try bp. The only way to qualify in the 3 way tie would be to let the other team (Scotland) run in a load of tries. That way they finish top on score difference instead of south africa and then the second place is decided on head to head so Ireland would go through ahead of South Africa.

This would not be "doing Scotland a favour", it would be the only way to qualify in that (very unlikely) scenario.

It is highly, highly unlikely, but it is not ridiculous.

It's simple maths.

South Africa beat Tonga with 5 match points and points scoring difference of greater than 36 points, that puts them top with 15 points and the highest scoring difference.

Scotland somehow score 4+ tries against Ireland and take a commanding lead into the closing stages of the game. Ireland have already scored 4 tries and as such are guaranteed 1 LBP from the game putting all the teams on 15 points.

Head to head cancels for top spot so it goes to scoring difference for top spot and then head to head between the two remaining teams for second place. So in that scenario the only way Ireland can qualify is for Scotland to top the scoring difference in the group and Ireland could very well let that happen (once again in this very specific scenario). It's a possible anomaly in the shake up of the group which could mathematically result in a team trying to lose by as large a margin as possible in order to qualify. Not beyond the realms of possibility no matter how unlikely.

EDIT: From reading back my original reply I stated if we "let" Scotland score 4 tries. That was meant due to them being better not intentionally. I'm talking about a shake up in the game to that point occurring naturally and the only way out for Ireland is to then let Scotland score a boat load from that point on in order to survive.

Which part?

A. The part where both teams score 4 or more tries and Scotland build a lead (and I'm making it clear that it is a point of no comeback).

B. With A above being the case, then Ireland allow them to score enough to overtake South Africa in scoring difference.

"A" is a very real possibility in a game of rugby and we see it often upon which point the question is do you do "B" as the alternative is you go out of the world cup.

My point (which I didn't think I'd still be talking about at this stage) is the qualification criteria does make this eventuality possible. Which is why I think it would have been better in a 3 way tie to use score difference as the deciding factor for the top two and not just the top spot. It would negate this scenario.

• Advertisement

I don't know how to say it any clearer than ridiculous.

Scotland are pretty much sure not to win.

This isn't soccer with your strange permutations.

Ireland are there to win the group.

No ifs and or buts. I'd be disgusted with my team if they took that cowardly mentality

They won't. They'll win.

Advertisement