Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not a fair deal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This - the OP has a choice. It was common enough in the past for families to care of elderly relatives till death, not just parents but aunts and uncles. In return, this would be recognised in the will. Nursing and care homes were more for those who had no relatives or destitute.

Now that has all changed, families are less willing or able to look after elderly relatives and life expectancies have increased. Nursing homes with 24 hour care are expensive and need to be paid for. So the OP may decide whether to fund the home care privately or avail of the Fair Deal 'loan scheme'. But they can't eat their cake and keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

My mum went into a state nursing home for a year. She resisted medical care, was made a ward of the court and was appointed a social worker and guardian ad litem. The fees for the nursing home were a bit more than €1800 a week. We applied for the fair deal scheme.

When my dad passed away he had a loan against the farm and no will. The bank insisted we all sign our right to his estate over to our mum who is a toxic alcoholic. I said I wasn’t comfortable doing so and wanted it to go in one of my brothers names, both refused. I was told I had no choice and reluctantly signed the form. So everything was in my mothers name and still is. The farm was not straight forward. All 4 of my dads sisters and their aunt who passed away many years prior had a right to reside in ‘the dwelling’ this meant their family home which is now a derelict shell, there was a question of whether there could be a legal argument that this referred to the newer house my dad built when I was 5 for our family. The same people also retained the right to a site on the farm. His sisters were asked to sign away their legal rights on the property so fair deal could be processed. They saught their own legal advice and were advised not to do this. This is a fairly small farm. There is also a second small farm on which my brother has built a house, the house is in his name and his wife’s. The land it is built on was in my mums. The whole thing was a legal nightmare. In the end there was a substantial shortfall of the nursing home fees. The land in it’s entirety was assessed as hers for the purpose of fair deal but they would only cover a portion of the costs due to other legal interests in the farm. I dont remember the exact figure but there was a shortfall of around €400 a week. We were told we (her children) would have to pay it. It was paid out of a small inheritance my mum received when her brother passed away. She was only in nursing home care a year. She’s at home now after her cognitive function was assessed when she was on a very good day and the ward of court was removed and she took herself home. She has 3 home help visits a day provided for by the hse. Home help is free. She lost her medical card at the first renewal after the ward of court was removed. She’s under 70. The whole thing has been a complete nightmare. She no longer has access to alcohol, but she has to be carefully managed to make sure things stay that way. Fair deal is often far from straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

It absolutely is immoral to force the taxpayer to pay for your parent's care so you can have a better inheritance. Dress it up however you like but that's what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭893bet

Times definately changed. Two parents working is almost a given now so there is not always someone one at home already is probably a factor. People living longer also. And often not in the greatest health with a high care need difficult for a non trained person.

I would hope to be able to care at home for my father when the times comes. But it really depends on the care need. A nursing home is the last option when all other avenues are exhausted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Ginger83

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

for some people, morality is focused on whatever they want on any given day.

What a mess. Seems like very poor legal advice all around. She was deemed not eligible for the fair deal because of not being able to put a value on her property and income. Poor you. You’re better off owning nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Deeec

The reality of fair deal is that an elderly person is better to have spent every penny they ever earned and own no property. Those that were prudent and saved hard during their lifetime and made sacrifices to own their own property are punished.

The op is right there is nothing fair about fair deal. Those that were careless and feckless with their money, or bone idol during their lifetime receive the same care as those that were frugal - very unfair. At the very least it should be a tiered system where those that are paying higher have a little more luxury.

That’s it in a nut shell. Same as if you were prudent in good times and saved a little you made be excluded or take a reduced SW payment in hard times.

Apparently it’s immoral to use legal tax planning to shelter assets though.

What really is immoral is the amount of tax I (and we all) pay across income, pri, vat, excise, lpt etc.

• Advertisement

So people with life long disabilities who were never able to work, or parents who couldn’t go to work because they were caring for a disabled child or/and an aged relative simply don’t deserve the same luxury in a nursing home as somebody who did go out to work?

Do you know how disgusting that sounds?

I think you know I'm not referring to people with disabilities. I'm talking about able bodied people who chose to live on social welfare for most of their life and those that chose to spend their money on cars, holidays and luxuries rather than having assets.

They said and inferred nothing of the sort. Again I will point out you trying to use emotion for some reason ( edit confused you with another poster there actually). You know what they meant and instead you are picking a very different scenerio to what they were inferring.

A tiered system is not something I would agree with if state funded personally. Similar to triage in A&E.

Post edited by 893bet on

But you didn’t make any distinction I’m afraid. In my experience the vast majority of people who live all their lives on Jobseekers payments live a lifestyle which results in their early demise, and rarely make it as far as a nursing home.

There are many reasons people never get off jobseekers and very few of them have anything to do with bone idleness.

The Fair Deal is designed that everyone gets treated the same in their old age.

I think that instead of resenting those you deem unworthy to breath the same air as yourself in your end of days years, you should look around your family and identify anyone who could benefit from your largesse right now instead of waiting until your dead. Sure, you need to make sure you have enough to be comfortable and warm, but just enough. Not too much,

Now now don’t get upset. It’s not “emotional” to point out that the vast amount of people on non con pensions are on one because they COULDNT work as opposed to they WOULDNT work.

The “wouldn’t” work people rarely live that long and if they do their lifestyle choices down through the years generally catch up with them sooner rather then later and they don’t get to make it to the nursing home.

I actually confused you with a different poster. Have edited my post!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭tjhook

Maybe. I think it's immoral that if I receive a payrise or a bonus, the state takes most of it. The state sets the rules, and I stay within those rules. I win some and I lose some.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭the14thwarrior

it would be important to check it out.

i personally know of someone that this happened to, the right to reside lasts until death. and they asked for a copy of the sale of the house.

five years is the income assessment.

You obviously fall into a certain 'lower' category yourself if you think fair deal is fair.

Remember the wealthy don't need to avail of fair deal scheme at all. Those that get screwed by fair deal are the people who worked hard and saved and scrimped throughout their lives to own a house and have a bit of savings. I've seen elderly being left very distressed about the realities of fair deal - distressed that their small assets will disappear. I've seen people who genuinely need residential care refuse to enter care because of this scheme. Genuinely fair deal scheme shafts those that are far from rich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It can be an upsetting subject if it is personalised so what I'm posting doesn't refer to anyone's personal circumstances.

I'm not judging anyone. There are many reasons that a person may not work.

The thing about someone who doesn't work and is supported for life by the state is that they cost a lot to support.

Say they collect social welfare from age 18 to 58 plus other ancillary payments. They have a medical card. They are housed by the state.

If as you suggest they get sick due to lifestyle issues the treatment required may be very expensive.

If they then pass on and as you say don't make it to the nursing home have they not already drawn down a considerable amount over a lifetime?

Perhaps that amount would be more than someone who worked from 18 to 58 who not alone paid their way but also paid their taxes.

Lower category? Hmmm…

Ok. What’s the answer then?

You don’t think that people should have to pay in any way for nursing home care.

You think that their home and their savings should sit untouched while they are being looked after around the clock in the nursing home.

And that after they have died that their beneficiaries, who didn’t contribute anything monetary to their benefactors care either, should collect their inheritance and continue on their merry way. Fine.

But nursing homes cost money. Nurses, care assistants, food, electricity, laundry, heat etc

So, who should pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Drog79

Fair deal should be the same for everyone. So hand over 100% pension. None, small or little, that at least recognises what you have done to help yourself in your lifetime.

Taking more from those who have worked more and harder and then admonishing them for estate planning is bollox.

My Child is as good as the (old) man in the street, and deserves the same support. It's ok that I choose not to use the state distribution system and use my own distribution method, once legal.

Yes I don't believe those that worked hard all their lives to have a little wealth should have that robbed off them. Remember as I said earlier it's the people with small income, have a modest home and savings that have to use fair deal - it's not used by the wealthy. Those that worked, paid taxes and contributed all their lives should be looked after for free when they need care. Instead we have a system that once again rewards the people that contributed nothing over their lifetime with free care. ( and I exclude the disabled and long term sick from this for clarity)

I don't agree with an elderly person having to transfer their assets and savings to someone else in order to have a 'better deal' in fair deal if they need it. They are leaving themselves very vulnerable. They shouldn't need to do this - it is actually a form of elder abuse but the government are forcing people to go down this road.

Do you think it's right that the unfairness of fair deal sheme actually discourages elderly people from entering homes. My husband has an elderly aunt who is not able to care for herself but refuses to go into a home because she can't bear to see her family home having to be sold after her death to pay off fair deal. The house is basic she never spent any money on it over the years. She feels she is failing her parents who worked hard to buy that house in the 1930s - she sees it as giving away a chunk of her happy family home. It's very emotive and sad to see but it's the reality.

Fair deal does need to be evaluated - not every case is fair at all

• Registered Users Posts: 20,118 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Are you sure about that? What do you categorise as wealthy and how do they pay for nursing homes? A lot of people's wealth is tied up in property they don't have 2k a week to pay for a nursing home

For free? You mean the taxpayer should pay for your parent to be looked after around the clock so that you can claim your full inheritance after they’ve died.

In your case you and your husband want to inherit his aunts property after she dies and at the same time you want the man in the street to pay for her full time care.

Why did you type all this when I can sum it up in one sentence for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭delusiondestroyer

Sorry to hear that OP, horrible situation to be in.

From my own experience of it with my father the "Fair deal" is not so fair and they did there best to overly encourage this deal...

My father refused and told em he would "die on the side of the road" before he'd pay them a cent, he worked all his life and the extortionate money they were looking for to give him a decent death was ridiculous.

He stayed true to his word but it was tough tough going, its our shame the way the country is set up and treats the elderly they shouldn't have to worry about that bullshit in there last days but alas the country is rife with scum that are lining there own pockets and funding bullshit rather than our own.

If its possible i would say avoid the "fair deal" as much as you can but be warned it is tough going and the person has to want to do it themselves.

I couldn't care less about inheritance - we are not going to inherit his aunt's property - another niece will. It's about fairness - those who have nothing ( whether by lifestyle or by transfer of assets) get care for free why shouldn't everybody. The stay in a nursing home is unfortunately relatively short for many elderly - leaving elderly stressing about fair deal in their final days is unfair.

You mentioned your mother earlier who I'm sure worked hard to have a house worth 125k. She ended up on a small pension - I think it's very unfair she should have a portion of that taken for her care while others pay nothing for the exact same care.

That's not fair at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭delusiondestroyer

Look at all the bullshit we prioritize before giving our elderly the respectful end of life care they deserve people that lived and worked here all there life.

We are more concerned about pandering to be the goodie two shoes of Europe taking in wave after wave of refugees, We give people that land into the country and deliberately exploit our systems 1000s every month, nothing against any of em but we should be looking after our own.

We have 64bn of a surplus in the budget fuckin spend some of it on giving the elderly the respect they deserve! It should be a fuckin right in this country to get proper end of life care, a thank you if you will for contributing to the country your entire life!

Instead we have nursing homes fleecing people in there last days putting un needed stress on them.

Its nothing short of a disgrace i dont care what anyone says.

• Advertisement

My mother and her children are very glad that she’s being looked after so well in her nursing home. Because we all live in the real world we understand that if none of us can care for her either in her own home or our homes that someone else needs to be paid to look after her.

Strangely enough we nor she don’t expect the man in the street to pay for that. She’s our mother. No need to involve anyone else.

Your suggestion that the tax payer can foot the bill for every single resident in a nursing home in Ireland, while their beneficiaries get to walk away with their inheritance after they die is ludicrous.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement