Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: Off The Ball

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

The newsround back on YouTube this evening.there starting to break.obviously the amount of 7000 subscribers mentioned here hasn’t really materialised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭bren2001

When you go to sign up via the app, it says the first month is free.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

download OTB app and sign up there, I did for RWC (free month) will end after that, subscription showing me I'm missing nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭left_hander

That was just because Nathan presenting? You can't flog that for legal tender.....

I never believed that 7k figure.

Although, you can't watch The Newsround back either I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Nathan is the main host on Thursday, that's right isn't it?

I sometimes catch bits of the Thursday show, it always seem to be prerecorded interviews, is that right? Maybe the newsround is live?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Is ROG really that appealing? Always found him quite dull

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Depends on the platform, his interview last week with Jim Hamilton was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

Most clips I've seen posted on social media since Eoin Sheahan returned to OTB am, show me that Boohig is still on there, giving his usual low level pub chat standard hot takes on Man Utd or whatever. Not very enticing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,775 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I looked up Boohig (never watched or listened to him to be honest) but I was curious to see who he was

But his educational background is Political Science and Arts!

https://ie.linkedin.com/in/colm-boohig-09373247

Apparently his strengths are being a 'thinking agent' so there is that.

--

Is the problem with OTB that it is full of people with degrees in Arts and English etc? Trained wafflers, that use a lot of words to say nothing of note.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mrkr

Paul Kimmage at the Second Captains live show calling Off the Ball "populist shite" for the way it covers things now.

Guess we shouldn't expect him back on the Paper review any time soon...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Cant stand him tbh, would start an argument in an empty room.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

Agreed. He has become a caricature. It's performative bullsh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭left_hander

Paul Kimmage is no loss to OTB whatsoever. Its unfair to call OTB populist sh*te, the problem is there is too much content and too much of it is just average joes talking. Lets be real - what qualifications do you really need to be a sports presenter? Its pretty much whatever your having yourself, show a bit of knowledge of some sport and come on in.

I heard Joe Molloy trying to promote the join effort - it definitely sounds like he is doing it through gritted teeth. It sounds like he was not a supporter, but maybe that is just my perception. I bet the figures are bombing entirely - I swore once Ger Gilroy uttered the words "Its only a tenner a month" I was not signing up. I have that tenner, I'm just not giving it to him.

From being in the pub at the rugby and surrounded by 15-16 ardent sports fans, not one had signed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Oh I’d say it’s a disaster alright. It’s significantly narrowed what they had audience wide on YouTube. Must grate them to now have 18/19 viewers for their morning shows

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

To be fair there is still a few hundred each morning on the OTB AM youtube stream, i usually put it on around 8:45 and then scroll back to whatever guest is of interest to me. In the past I would have listened/watched a handful of segments a week across the morning and evening shows, but now I can't and to be honest i don't really miss it. The odd morning segment is enough for me.

I find myself being a much more critical listener now, given the expectation from OTB HQ that they are worth "a tenner a month" and to be honest for me they are definitely not worth that, almost all of the presenters are found wanting...

Ger: Too smug and disparaging of any opinion that he doesn't share

Vinny Perth: Supposed to talks about LOI but instead turns it into the Shamrock Rovers or "I used to work with Stephen Kenny" segment

Johnny Ward: How many times can i say Galway United in the show

Shane Hannon: Does everyone know I'm from Monaghan, I better remind them again just in case....

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Stoned_Rosie

I've listened to OTB twice this week when travelling.

First was Tuesday, which I think they said they were having the football show on after 9. Grand, looking forward to that. What comes on? Some dweeb from the 42.ie talking about the Irish womens team against Hungary. I gave it as much time as I could hoping it would soon finish but after 15 minutes of it I couldn't hack any more and switched over.

Then yesterday, while not a massive golf fan I can understand it's a huge audience and a big event with the Ryder Cup so they started talking about that at the start of the show. Then Nathan says..."up after the break, Ruesha Littlejohn"...immediately I turned it over.

The interest is just not in womens football. How many Irish fans travelled to Hungary? I wonder...considering the locals were only hoping for an attendance of 1,000 people in total!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

Pretty sweeping statement re the interest in women's football, i think its growing massively in this country helped by the world cup and reflected in the Aviva last week. Ruesha is a fantastic personality & interviewee and im sure plenty would have enjoyed it as I did. Maybe stick the head outside the echo chamber of this thread and check into reality for a bit?

How many Irish fans travelled to Hungary?

The aviva was filled with children taken for the day out because their parents got free tickets at work.

I don't think 10 year old children are listening to newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

Judging peoples interest based on whether or not they travelled to Hungary, right... RTE had figures of up to 550,000 viewers for the Irish world cup games in the summer. If you think theres not enough interest to warrant OTB running segments on the team you're deluded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Am I right in saying that the COYGIG content is not behind the paywall?

If the interest was there it surely would have been included!

I note on Newstalk at the end of sports bulletins in recent days they are really pushing for people to join the "OTB club"

There is a smell of desperation about it all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I cannot wait until “woke” leaves the vernacular.

I heard John Duggan today saying there weren't many good matches at the rugby world cup.

There's been far better matches than any other world cup at this stage due to the imbalanced draw. Pool C, every game is very entertaining.

They really **** love golf on OTB. It's a very upper class sport so no surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Not in Ireland. Anyone can play or show an interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Azatadine

That Saturday afternoon programme is gone to hell altogether. They just chat away and every now and then give a score update. The score updates are not even regular. It's really bad and there's no structure to it at all. Pure waffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Agreed. Listened quite a bit while doing stuff around the house previously, but interest has definitely waned. They always seem to have one woeful pundit as part of the 3 - and have been rotating between David Connelly and Shane Keegan recently. Both are complete wafflers and fairly irritating imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭bren2001

Listened to Michael Lyster on the Sunday Paper Review. He was absolutely useless. Said the USA had more passion then Europe because they are a country. Said Josh Van de Flier isn't Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

It was a pretty clear structure in the first half I listened to. They were discussing Ireland’s domestic football scene. They gave infrequent updates. Duggan used to constantly disrupt and interrupt the flow of conversation with updates. I prefer as little input as possible from Duggan and as much as possible from Dan McDonnell.

It wasn’t a particular optimistic conversation but then again it’s hard to be optimistic about irelands domestic football scene.

Advertisement