Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes in the GAA - super thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

The preseason games are causing no harm. The leagues and championships could run from the end of February to the end of August.

The county club and provincial club championships can be completed from September to December. The All-Ireland club semi-finals and finals then in January.

The Sigerson Cup and Fitzgibbon Cup were completed in mid February this year. This would fit in nicely with the league starting at the end of February instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Football is dead as a sport, and the GAA genuinely doesn't seem to care.

All the things that made it a great sport, midfielders contesting a kickout, long balls into the forwards, one of one battles between forward and defender are non existence it's just turned into a mindless shuffle of the ball without challenge up and down the field.It's horrible to watch (and I imagine to play) and bores me to tears.

This is a difficult thing for me to say as it was always my favourite sport and now you couldn't force me to watch a game these days.

Why the GAA have done nothing to fix it I'll never know.

They just need to bank the blanket defence tactic (by having a certain number of each team in their attacking half at all times)

Ban the short kickout (all kickouts must pass the 45)

Get rid of excessive handpassing by having 3 handpasses in a row and then the ball must be kicked forward

Reduce the number of players on a team to 13 a side.

I don't care whether people think it will be difficult to adjust to, you give teams no choice (as the rules are now changed) and they'll just have to adjust.

The fact that the GAA hasn't reacted to how bad the game has become is depressing, surely they have to see that football now features a constant din in the background of all games (similar to what you hear in baseball and cricket) because the fans are chatting and not engaged in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Didn’t they try the 3 hand passes rule and it was found to be unworkable. Players and managers didn’t like it. Referees found it impossible to officiate.

As for the defensive football I might be in minority but if done correctly as a weaker side v stronger side -,can be a leveller and fascinating to watch as teams probe for weaknessess/angles.

Ban short kick outs and 13 a side would definitely shake things up.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I imagine that partly it was unworkable because they knew if they said it was unworkable it would be abandoned.Maybe it won't work but the problem is any rule changes seem to have to be approved by the managers, its been proven that they only care about results and not the game as a whole so they probably shouldn't be taken as seriously as they are.I would ague if you brought in rule changes and said, this is the way the game is now we aren't changing back teams would find a way to adjust and make the rule changes workable.

There needs to be more of a contest in the game that was always what it was about , more long kicks produces a contest for possession and uncertainty and was what people enjoyed about the game we need to find a way to get back to that in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

They are part of the problem with the entire season structure.. theyre not needed especially knock out cups.

you need to have a better off season. a proper closed season with no games. if you are in a successful club who are consistently in provincial and all ireland series and also on an inter county squad with your proposal they have no off season. thats wrong.. condense things way more than your set up and have a proper off season with no games at all

It isnt that bad at all. A blanket defence isnt necessarily a bad thing but its how much its used which is the issue and banning a short kickout shouldnt be a solution.

You dont need to reduce the number of players on the pitch. the pitch is more than big enough to allow for 15

• Advertisement

But again another unforeseen problem was created when long kicks were there.

Three/four players swarmed the fella trying to make the catch. Then they introduced the 'advanced mark' to stop the swarming of players. But now the advanced mark was found to have major problems. Players firing it backwards then forwards - play stopped used as a defensive tactic instead of an attacking one. Made too easy.

If Liam McHale was around now with the advanced mark he would be cleaning up in games.

I think though if they gave these things more time and said you just have to live with them the team would find away around it.

More of contest for possession needs to be brought back into the game.

When I played corner forward what I loved was keeping an eye out for the guys in the middle of the field and getting ready to make my move out in front of my man so a ball could be sent into me.That is what being a corner forward was like where you had to beat the corner back to the ball in a fairly even contest when the ball was kicked in.Now all corner forwards do i receive a hand pass from half forward and pop the ball over the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭eire4

I certainly agree with you that the status quo is not ok and something needs to be done to make the game more of an exciting spectacle. For me the advantages lie too much with the defense these days. Of the ideas you propose the one I personally like best is each team always having to have a minimum number of players in the attacking half. Not sure what that minimum number should be but I like that idea in principle. Another idea maybe would be once you go past a line such as the 45, the half etc you cannot pass back through it.

Post edited by eire4 on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

But surely you would need to make sure there are minimum defenders aswell? Otherwise you will have an imbalance. Something like 3 designated forwards, 3 designated backs who are limited to inside the 45, then 9 floaters?

It still doesn't stop the floaters coming back and packing the defence though, unless you keep those out of the 45, so you end up with a mad scramble in the middle and two 3v3 games inside

Personally I would say no minimum number of defenders needed. If a team wants to take risks an leaving players unmarked at the back and have more players in attack go for it. I think you would find that if a team had to keep a minimum number of players in attack then most of the time a team would leave that many back and not risk leaving attackers numbers up for a counter. No doubt late in games when losing teams would take chances but thats fine just more exciting then IMHO. Plus I also like the idea of teams not been able to go back past a line with the ball once they have crossed it with the ball.

• Advertisement

This is more of a broadcaster and GAA one. Why not have a live table in the corner of the screen when it is the last group game of the AI series?

Common sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,747 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Since GAA don't use a data provider to pull from something like a live API, they would need their own in house people manually doing it - Which is incredibly messy unless they had a big group of people at it.

Looks easy when Premier League do it on the final day etc., but that's because they have a data provider with literally 5 people assigned to each live match.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Did TG 4 not do soemthing like this on last day of NFL? had updated tables etc

I dont think RTE even mentioned the various permutations etc in closing mins of Galway Armagh match, though i may be wrong, was watching in a pub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭MacDanger

They had a guy manually updating them iirc, which did lead to mistakes at times

• Registered Users Posts: 27,969 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Some of those rules will be too complicated to referee.

Yes to 13 players.

No to number of players in the attacking half, no to banning the short kickout, no the 3 handpasses in a row.

What you do need to do is to stop the goalkeeper coming out and making it easy to play the mindless possession game across the 45.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,969 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Do the advantages lie too much with the defence these days?

Yes, we don't have the ping-pong hurling scores in football, but are they really worth it. On the other hand, we rarely have games like the 1996 Leinster Final 0-10 to 0-08. Dublin won an All-Ireland in 1995 by 1-10 to 0-12, that would be low-scoring by today's standards, but that Championship saw Wicklow beat Westmeath by 0-9 to 0-3.

Football now is a lot better than the 1990s.

Higher scoring doesn't mean better games.

The problem with the modern game is there is a lack of contest for possession, as defenses retreat and allow teams to have the ball for ages and rarely will a long ball be played into the forwards.More genuine contest for possession means more excitment. The scoring is only part of the excitement.

IMHO yes the advantages lie too much with the defense and IMHO I do not think football is better then it was in the 1990's.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,453 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Football video game was showcased this week. Nothing can be as shite as the ' Gaelic Games Series' on the PS2 years back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Fair play to them for giving it a go. The real challenge is getting the AI right for 30 players and a ref on a pitch that makes the game realistic but also a bit chaotic. I see they have done a bit of motion capture which looks fine - but the hard part will be getting things like collisions, tackling, breaking ball to appear realistic

I would scrap the all stars for the championship, they are a farce, political decisions. sympathy votes, positional changes etc. Plus this is a system where Clarke can get an all star for Mayo despite conceding two goals. But an exceptional player like Mulroy for Louth will never get an all star in his lifetime.

They are always heavily weighted towards the final - the finalists get the majority of 12 spots while the runners up get less. Then there might be 3 spots for other counties.

Also the consistent players who are assumed to be good and got ones previously have to have exceptional years to get an all star - Cluxton. James McCarthy, David Clifford etc

I think a much better solution would be an all star team for each division in the league. Then they can all play in other in a round robin abroad somewhere..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,064 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

They are selected by journalists, so you can blame them for political decisions, and the sympathy votes. I read that when it started they used to select 115 players, but it is now 45. Limiting it to just 3 for each position, does make it imperfect. Some years there could be more than 3 very good players say at number 11, and no standout players say at number 4. But that is the system, and it has always (without checking) favoured the counties which progressed deep into the Championship.

This year there are 13 football counties represented in the 45, which I read is an unusually high number. Again blame the GAA correspondents on TV, radio, newspapers and other media who do the nominations.

This is not a discussion where "etc" should be used. I you have other headings that you think are wrong, say what they are.

Also, when taking forwards into account it’s mostly just scores.

They don’t take any other contributions into account such as chances created or frees won leading to shots etc

It’s completely outdated

I didn't know this bit until I looked up the criteria for the awards. That it is the players themselves who choose the All Stars. Fair play to so many of the also rans, that they consistently give the accolade to their more succesful brethren.

"In 2011 it was announced that the GAA All Stars Awards, which had been sponsored in recent years by Vodafone, and the GPA Awards would merge under the sponsorship of car manufacturer Opel. The move announced by Christy Cooney saw the achievements of players recognised jointly for the first time in October 2011.

The All Stars team comprises the best player in each position, regardless of club or county affiliation. The composition of the All Star teams are decided on the basis of a shortlist compiled by a selection committee of sports journalists from the national media, while the overall winners are chosen by inter-county players themselves. The award is regarded by players as the highest accolade available to them, due to it being picked by their peers."

That is one I forgot to say players should be voted for by the public not the journalists. Most GAA fans would give a fair call overall as to who the players should be. Voting could be charged another way to earn money for the GAA or part to charity, or various causes that affect GAA players that no longer play the game etc.

My etc was referring to examples of players.

But I find the all stars in it's current form the 'All-Stars' is a day out for the sake of it. Good players get forgotten about that play for so called weaker counties.

A four team All-Star League 'divisional' teams playing each other would be a great preseason thing instead of the McGrath cup/O'Byrne cup etc. They could have it in a round robin or something. I would watch it anyway.

I'd prefer the something to the Round Robin. Etc.

What do you suggest other than snide remarks? Because the All stars has been a farce for a long time.

A false award in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,453 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The All Stars selection committee probably a council of elders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Iecrawfc

The GAA are looking at making the all ireland finals more of an occasion, about time too, there should be a warm up game, think an updated railway cup was suggested, maybe the provinces of the finalists in football and a team of the Munster champ vs team of Leinster(Inc. Antrim and Galway) in hurling. Need to make the 25th anniversary teams be more a part of the occasion, should be at half time in senior game, maybe invite both finalists also.

Advertisement