Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

It's like they think of new ways to **** up every week.

They're creative tbf.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Please tell me this is just trolling....

The level of incompetence is astounding...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

That's hilarious. Were the VAR officials not watching the match? Did they not see the flag go up and Diaz stop celebrating? He must have been playing angry birds or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I remember when Galway got a point in last years AI SF in the first half and hawkeye didn't give it. The GAA just corrected it at half time and retired hawkeye.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

And did the officials not see a free kick given to spurs for offside instead of a kick off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

It's like one of those bugs in software development that you could never anticipate because you could never envisage the end user being that fúcking stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,066 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I don't believe this.

The var team is in communication with the ref, if it was true it would have been easy for the var to say to ref after he awarded the offside, "no it was a good goal".

He didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Thats one of the reasons I'm laughing at people tryna claim theres a fix/conspiracy going on.

I genuinely dont think they'd actually be competent enough to successfully manipulate a result if they actually tried to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,466 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Tbf people shouldn't be betting on anything and if this has that outcome it should be viewed as a positive.

VAR has been a disaster from it's inception though this thing has been coming a long time.

Hopefully this leads to an overhaul of VAR.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

At some point you have to wonder though, given the level of incompetence that's seemingly accepted by the PGMOL, how hard would it be for a ref to get away with actual fixing? It'll never be considered I'm sure but some of these decisions...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭McBain11

MOTD commentator with an absolutely beauty doing the Spurs Liverpool highlights.

That doesn't look offside to me he says. This will be checked he says.

Oh little did you know kind sir. Little did you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Are you against drinking and dancing, too, Father? And don't get me started on fornication outside of wedlock!!

There will always be gambling, and gambling for the Premier League drives interest, sponsorship revenue, etc. Events like this chip away at the integrity of the outcome, which is the ultimate motivation for introducing VAR in the first place. And it will be the driving motivation to get it right.

The EPL need to accept that UEFA is doing this better and look to adapt its practices. That's the bottom line here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Tonight's game was one where you could make a very reasonable base principles-type argument that the VAR team were in on a fix. My guess is the powers that be will see that also!!

The bookies would highlight any irregular betting patterns on markets, that's how these things are found out.

But if you did have the money and the reach to somehow pull off match fixing in the premier league, you could do it for a lot less risk and scrutiny and cost in other leagues or sports, so why would you bother take the risk.

You'd just go do it in horse racing or tennis like everyone else :)

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Sure there is no other reasonable argument, not sure why you restrict it to var, what were the umpire/referees on, serious fix on , seriously would be better watching mock wrestling than that shite , they are not even trying to cover up the fix anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Var needs to be shelved until they can consistently use the technology for the benefit of the game.

We should not be at the stage where we have a fcuk up for that Liverpool goal, nor should we have Referees greeted at the screen by a heavily weighted still image.

Do they have these type of fcuk ups elsewhere in Europe? If not one solution is easy, hire some competent staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

People calling for VAR is ridiculous. All it is, is a second opinion given from someone that can use the benefit of technology to get a better look. It's still the same useless refs that are in the field, except there's now a useless one off if it. Still the same human errors. Still the same ineptitude. Refereeing standards in England have been atrocious for several years now. Having the same useless prick in an office instead of on a field doesn't change that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭McFly85

Last night was yet another reason why VAR needs to have a microphone and allow everyone to hear the audio of the discussion between the officials.

It’s clear that there is no standard conversation between the referee and VAR. They speak to each other like mates at a pub, it needs to be far more structured.

Of course they’ll absolutely resist the idea because in their minds all it will do is serve to really highlight their mistakes, which should tell you all you need to know about the state of refereeing in the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Howard Webb spoke about this earlier in the season. They want to have live var audio but it’s against FIFA rules apparently

• Advertisement

Can technology alone be used for offsides? (for example). Why use a human at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,466 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Gambling and gambling advertising are off the charts these days, particularly in the UK.

I've nothing against gambling (or drinking or dancing, you funny funny man) but it's recognised that gambling has become incredibly problematic over recent years (it has a tangible effect, try getting mortgage approval with an active online gambling account for example).

So yeah, I couldn't give a fvck if VAR impacts the profit margins of Paddy Power or whatever bunch of vultures you care to mention.

Premier League VAR is a joke however, but ultimately it becomes a comfortable excuse for managers when their sides perform poorly and a dodgy VAR call is in the mix, it doesn't even have to be a dodgy call because nobody trusts VAR (See any post match interview with Erik Ten Hag this season after a defeat).

The hope would be that after the fact that it was admitted that a mistake was made in this fashion the whole thing would be rebuilt from the ground up, but I can't see that really happening until next season so this kind of thing will likely continue for some time.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Just on the Jones challenge yesterday, I was on Reddit earlier and someone had posted this image from the Spurs Liverpool game last year and the attached statement from VAR.

So there's the inconsistency in decisions again. Now has this been ammended for this season and all such challenges are reds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

As always about half of them will be red the other half nothing.

You could just toss a coin to get more reliable results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

That's fine.

But then Bissouma is off for the tackle on Gakpo, as they'd presumably also have to show a still.

Also, send Udogie off for a second booking for waving imaginary cards.

Listen, no Spurs fan should care. I don't think any Liverpool fan expects any Spurs fan to give a toss that they got everything yesterday. Take it and run.

But yesterday's refereeing and VAR performance will have to have ramifications. It was that bad and blatant.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

This was last season and resulted in Skipp having his head cut open. Yellow card.

There is no conspiracy against Liverpool as some seem to think. The officials are just completely incompetent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

It's every single team in the EPL that has to suffer the consequences of those jokers not just the team that's fanbase makes the most noise about it. There's no conspiracy or bias or ulterior motive.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DAngelo Bailey

You can't go back once the free has been taken which is nonsense as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

And Jota then scored the winning goal. It is the only instance in the history of association football of Liverpool getting a dodgy decision in their favour.

Spurs fans are right to celebrate, they got a 96 minute winner. Every fan base would be the exact same.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DAngelo Bailey

That technology does exist and the PL clubs voted against introducing it for this season I wonder will that vote change for next season?

• Advertisement

See what's the point in this? Nothing similar happend yesterday to compare that to and the vast majority of fans, Liverpool or otherwise said he should have been sent off for that. You just come across a bit silly with your statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

100%. Ultimately nobody wants to be a referee anymore and those few that do just aren't good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

I am a fanatic Liverpool fan and I do not think there is any conspiracy.

For the last few years, the standard of referring in the PL has gone from average to really poor; every team in the league has people from all over the world as their backroom staff, as manager and as players. They need to introduce foreign referees and they would get the best as they pay a lot more, I think this would massively help.

Pundits do not help with their tribal loyalty, to show how poor yesterday was even Neville disagreed with some of the decisions against Liverpool.

The technology clearly works for offsides so again to hear pundits question other decisions is stupid; the reason the goal was not given is the VAR REFEREE said he checked it but for some unknown reason to everyone he was checking to confirm it was a goal EVEN though a goal was not given???

If they introduced audio, this error could not happen, the referee on the VAR ole would have to say Check complete the attacking player is onside, it is a goal. Why do they not allow that as along with goal line decisions, they are not subjective.

The same referee showed a still picture for the Jones tackle; the impact is a clear red though the impact was caused by his foot slipping on the top of the ball resulting in him having no control. If people think that is a clear red then on the wet pitches in winter or an Irish summer when a player slips and has the same impact, this has to be a red for consistency.

The same referee also on VAR gave Arsenal a goal last year that was offside because he did not have a camera to check it. Maybe best to see if he can be just be a referee as he might be better without seeing multiple replays:)

City have win 5 of the last 6 leagues; they will probably win this year also, in my opinion the only team that Pep would worry about is Liverpool; Arsenal could not have had a bigger chance than last year, they definitely will not win the league as like a golfer who 3 putts the last 4 holes of a major to lose by a couple of shots, when the change returns they rarely are stronger for the experience.

United v Brighton two years ago was brought back after the full time whistle was blown to take a penalty weren't they?

The refs are just useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

thats where i have an issue with all the pundits and dermot gallagher.

they go off on tangents rather than focusing on the law. based on that law, is the incident a red card offence?

its also a function of the weak ass presenters who are just happy to be there., rather than actually questioning these people

The scary part is some Liverpool fans think the refs are conspiring against them and not just useless.

Apparently three of the officials yesterday reffed a game in UAE on the 28th of September. They must be awful stuck for officials over there if they're bringing these lads over.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Liverpool spurs seems to throw up some crap refereeing in fairness. Yesterday, last season Jota should've been off the pitch and a spurs player too and the year Robertson was off but Kane wasn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Fascinated to know what the VAR room would have been like after the Spurs took the free kick. Probably asking each other what are the cheapest flights for a holiday next few weeks because they won’t be allowed near a game for quite a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

Maybe the Premier League could award each team a point per apology received from PGMOL? Otherwise, stop apologising.

• Advertisement

A few years ago Spurs got more penalties in Anfield than Liverpool did over the course of a season.

My guess as to why you see more odd decisions is that Liverpool Spurs tends to be played at a fairly frantic pace so there'll always be a few tackles that look worse than they are which winds the crowds up and then the refs feel more pressure. It's also end to end most times so hard to keep up with the game.

If Liverpool don't have a player sent off yesterday I think we could have had a game of the season contender with how well the first 20 minutes was played by both teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Is everything they say recorded ? If they weren't watching the match what were they doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

The scenario here is a team scored a goal, the referee who is on VAR agreed it was a goal but they did not give that team the goal.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

Have a look into the Liverpool Thread and you will see my point. 2/3 different posters seem to be convinced that there is a conspiracy against Liverpool. Have a look online aswell, multiple people saying that there is an agenda against Liverpool by the Premier League/PGMOL.

In fairness I’ve seen it with other fans also so not just Liverpool but it’s referring problem. Not some sort of agenda against a certain team.

I’m a Spurs fan and can agree we got very lucky yesterday. Diaz should should have stood and first Jota yellow wasn’t even a free. He was brain dead in his second yellow and the Jones Red was on the verge of Yellow/red so could have went either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The reason people come up with conspiracy theories is because there is absolutely no transparency with the refereeing.

If everyone hears the audio as it's happenjnv, and/or everyone gets a truthful explanation of how decisions came to be, then there would be no room for anyone to come up with a conspiracy.

Also, all referees being mates is a massive problem, as per Mike Dean's confession earlier this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

they should bring in the best ref's from europe, like is done with players.

the FA is too arrogant unfortunately

Have independent people on the VAR panel.

Use technology alone where possible? If it's possible with offsides use it. Then it's bulletproof. It's possible with goal line technology.

VAR was supposed to clear up a lot of issues. It hasn't.

The way it's been implemented in the UK has meant it's not fit for purpose. Either change the process (benchmark against other countries), or bin it.

I do wonder if the refs actually want it at all, and are deliberately undermining it. I have wondered that from early on.

But you've people who overreact in every fan base. Just because there's a few going off on one doesn't mean that all fans of that team think the same. So posts along the lines of "they're out to get Liverpool" or "first decision that ever went against Liverpool" aren't helpful at all and come across as completely childish. Also replace Liverpool with any other team and it's the exact same.

Based on VAR communication last season Jones is not a red card. Now if everyone is given a red for the same tackle going forward than at least it'll be consistent (even if I don't think it is a red at all) but that won't happen, we'll see one or two between now and the international break and they'll be yellows.

No consistency, no accountability for refs have let it get to this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

How can it be scary when plenty of Utd fans have been at it since the season started with their conspiracy theories especially around handball and penalties? No point trying to point score at this stage.

There are no conspiracies, just week after week of piss poor officiating. This particular decision beats all though. An apparent sequence of almost unbelievable decision making. There has to be real and proper consequences for those involved because the standard is getting worse to the point that fans and players are struggling to understand what the hell is going on anymore. The consequences for teams is massive and is deciding not just games but potentially titles and relegation battles. While most of these contentious decisions involve subjective thinking, the one involving the Diaz disallowed goal is impossible to fathom yet it happened.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There's **** refereeing in other leagues too. It's not unique to the premier League. Var being called in for mm offside decisions is utterly pointless to be honest. The rule needs revision.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement