Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2023 thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,746 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

But if Perez had served his penalty then retired the car he isn't classified so either way it makes no difference. Penalty was served.

Red Bull a step ahead strategically as always

• Registered Users Posts: 8,917 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

The big problem was Crofty and especially Ted making it in some massive controversy as per usual. This used to happen a lot and it was perfectly fine

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Qatar up next. It will be a sprint race weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Schorpio

There seems to be a fairly common perception amongst newer fans of F1 in this part of the world that Red Bull are the baddie, and somewhat underhand in how they achieve their results.

I put this down to Sky UK's coverage of the '21 season finale, and the cost cap breach last year.

Anyone who has watched F1 for a long time (or has watched any other racing series) will know that there is nothing wrong with re-entering the racetrack after being stopped in the garage. The difference is that in the modern-era of F1, it's very rarely worth it to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Harika

The winner is always the Baddie, like when Mercedes won, it was all down how they played FIA and the rules to get the best engine. Ferrari before ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭thefa

Just saw a video of Horner commenting on the lineup and Lawson. Not sure how serious some of the suggestions are to get him into the Red Bull seat soon but definitely best for him to spend at least a season in Alpha Tauri. Rushing Albon into a Red Bull essentially lost him a years experience and he looks like a fine driver.

Perez really needs to pull the finger out in any case to assure his 2024 drive. He’s a good driver and has had pressure at points in all his Red Bull seasons but shouldn’t be going backwards at this stage in that car. Really poor decision making the second half of this year.

Really interesting to see who will be in line for that seat in 2025 given some contracts ending in 2024. Wonder are the bridges burned for the likes of Gasly and Albon if they were to impress in the interim. Maybe they could get Alonso in to keep the peace!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,662 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Tbf there is a bit of a unique scenario in that it's pretty clear Perez only re-entered specifically with the goal to serve the penalty and nothing else.

Other re-entries have generally been attempts to try and sneak into the final few points positions if it seemed likely, if it was an ongoing high attrition race.

If Red Bull had left Perez trudging around the back for a while again after the penalty was served they could try and claim they were evaluating data to see whether some component was more damaged than it looked or something but they were incredibly obvious in the stunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Did I hear correctly that if Max is on the podium for the sprint, he wins the championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

That may be true of course, but the rules allow it. No doubt that loophole will soon be closed but fair play to RB for knowing about it and taking advantage.

It’s no different to a golfer using the rules to get a preferable lie if they find themselves in trouble.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Knowing the rules and using them to your advantage is as important in F1 as having a quick car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,261 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Fair questions. But I wonder whether RB will ever start asking why it fails to get good results form its second driver. Mercedes has the opposite problem where they get good results from both divers, and they even fought for championships between Rosberg and LH. Whatever you think about Bottas, there were always a few weekends every year where he was just quicker than Hamilton and everyone else. And now they have Russell competing with a 7 time world champion. They know how to get the best out of both drivers and RB really don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭thefa

They are in a way Red Bull trying to correct mistakes of the past by giving Perez plenty of time but it does seem to have gotten to the point where it’s a toxic seat as you say.

I mentioned Gasly and Albon in the last post but I have no doubt they wouldn’t be near Verstappen on race pace. It feels like a seat you need to get someone the quality of Sainz or Norris into and see what happens. Could put to bed then if the car is as centered around Verstappen’s driving or not.

Hoping the teams battling for second keep developing and put pressure on Red Bull to necessitate poaching somebody of that quality and form.

They've given him time but the gap has grown. While Max is dominant at the front, Perez is getting caught up in the battles behind. In most cases, perez could be a decent gap behond max and still come comfortably second. I never thought Perez was top tier, but he's falling further and further behind.

Maybe Red bull keep developing the car to suit Max and ignore Perez, even thought Max is already comfortably ahead. Maybe nobody in Red Bull feels safe saying no to Max, even though its hurting the overall team performance.

Hard to know. Its a persistent pattern though, so it unlikely to just be down to the second RB driver every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Not sure exactly what you are saying but Ricciardo absolutely performed coming into the 2nd redbull seat. He came in alongside 4 time champ vettel and sent him packing.

Then when paired with verstappen, he was able to compete with him.

Also albon was going well from the start but never recovered from Hamilton taking him out twice from front running positions.

You tend to have that with any driver or team that's dominating. The 21 season, cost cap and Drive to survive are probably the reasons for that. Verstappen deserves all the success he is getting, he's just in a different league to the rest of the grid!

Verstappen being so good is probably why Checo will be at RB next year, Max could win the constructors on his own. All Checo has to do is put the car in the top 5 consistently, I don't think he's much doing better than what Albon did. Checo should be embarrassed for his performance at Suzuka, his dive on Kmag has to be one of the stupidest of the season

• Registered Users Posts: 11,013 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

My view on Perez is that if red bull are as far clear next season as this then he'll be with the team until end of 2024 and then be gone. If the other teams close the gap and there's a fight for constructors, then he's a liability who won't end the season with them, and one of either Lawson or Ricciardo (depending on how he's performing) will end up in the red bull seat, with the other being in alpha Tauri. Either way, Checo won't be with red bull in 2025.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'd agree except I think Redbull would swap out Perez early doors if the pattern looks the same next year regardless of how far out in front they are.

They might, but the one thing Checo does bring is a few sponsors and big money. I don't see RB getting rid of him early unless it is an absolute necessity. Have seen some reports say he brings $30-35m plus a year.

I take your point of. Ricciardo. But he left because he saw the writing on the wall. It was going to be Max's team and Ricciardo didn't think he'd get a fair opportunity.

Albon, started well and faded which is the same thing that happened to Perez except it happened faster with Albon. I doubt the crashes with Hamilton (poor form by Hamilton) were the reason he lost pace and eventually his seat.

Both of those instances show Red Bull failing to get the best out of the second seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,149 ✭✭✭✭flazio

But what use is that money in the cost cap era?

• Advertisement

Drivers salaries and the top 3 earners salaries in the company are not covered in the cost cap so it could cover some of that I guess.

The team will still be looking at profit/loss. Perez fills a big advertising spot on the car too. Any organisation would think twice before taking a $30mn reduction in revenue.

Perez essentially drives for free and RB get $20-25m to pay for about one third or more of Verstappens salary. I'd say thats very useful

It's a sizeable chunk of money that Red Bull don't have to pony up to keep the team going.

Merc fans blaming RedBulls dominance for the drop in numbers. Really it's down to the likes of the drive to survive fans thinking every season will be like 2021 now realising most seasons are like 2022 where you have one team or driver dominating

It's not the fault people who started watching Drive to Survive. They watched an entertaining show as a gateway to hopefully being entertained by the sport. The sport isn't very entertaining this year. I haven't watched many races or listened to the ones I can't watch. I'm happy getting the results afterwards this year because so little is at stake.

F1 is a mix of sport, entertainment and business. If its in a good balance, then everyone wins. This year is lacking in entertainment so its hardly surprising that fan engagement has reduced. I'm not a new DTS fan and I haven't prioritised F1 this year. I'd usually watch most races around a friend's house. Few lads, couple of frozen pizzas and have the craic. Haven't done it this year becalmed the racing is dull. That's not the fans' fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,149 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Would be interesting to hear the reasons why it was rejected.

Seems a bit of a leap with claims of a guaranteeing a female driver on the F1 grid based on testing her in an F3 and F2 car. maybe using the social climate to their advantage?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Time for F1 to go back to being Free to air. The sooner Sky crashes and burns the better and I say that as a Sky subscriber. The way TV and Sky are going do I will probably not be for much longer.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Some talk of Apple bidding for the global rights

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I wouldn’t mind that if it meant we could watch live races on an Apple device with that region locking bullshit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement