Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

So... what are the health updates on Dee Forbes and Jim Jennings?

We don't really care about (useless nobody) Jim's version of events, but we all do want to hear (nobody) Dee's defence against Moya :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Get real, those 2 are never going to have to give their version of events.

They will play this sick card indefinitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Nothing sickens my turd more than some jumped up twat who happened to stumble into the attention of the public sphere claiming credit for raising €X millions/thousands for [insert charity here] as if they imparted that cash from their own wallet. Often behind the veneer of it all you'll realise that a % of your donation was used to 'expense' said talent who convinced you to open aforementioned wallet and impart with your hard-earned cash. It's a blindsided tactic very cleverly foisted on the un-assuming Irish public for a long time now and really needs to be called out for the pure and utter BS it really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

But it's just oh so Irish to stop even asking... At the least Dee should be requested periodically to reconfirm she's still a mentaller and Jim that his recuperation is still ongoing. Instead PAC are falling over themselves with "we wish them well for a speedy recovery"; no doubt there'll be a couple of Christmas hampers sent over too so they can't be accused of bullying, LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭head82

And it's not exclusive to Ireland either! I remember when hearing Terry Wogan received a fee for hosting that BBC all day long charity Childline thing, can't think of the name of it.. the one with the bear with the bandage around his head, Pugsy.. my estimation of him dropped somewhat. Not that I was ever his biggest fan.. but still.

When Wogan was questioned about it, he was quite indignant. His attitude was along the lines of "why shouldn't I get paid? It's a fee paying gig to me". Even Sacha Baron Cohen (Ali G) took the plss out of him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Besides Miriam doing some sort of current affairs programme, I couldn’t see any of those names getting a regular gig in the UK- not one.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Tinter Box

I really hope RTE don’t get this €56M bailout. They have done feck all to deserve it. Has there been any reform/cost cutting that I’ve missed?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,616 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Did RTÉ send Tracy Clifford to review the U2 gig in Las Vegas for 2FM? If they did WTAF

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What else were they going to do with that all inclusive Vegas trip they ended up with from a complicated barter?

:)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Fanning gave a review on the radio just after the gig finished as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I agree. I trust that the PAC are sending out polite invites on a weekly basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Well, she is wearing a media Pass, so she is there on official business.....

Can be request all the details of this trip...

Was it deemed essential for an organisation requesting 56 million of taxpayers money (On top of the TV Linence they already took)?

How long did she visit the States for as part of this trip?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I read somewhere that U2 invited 12 Irish journalists to the gigs, I'm not sure if this meant all paid for by U2, or just free tickets.

I think it was in the Sunday Indo actually, that Barry Egan fella was giving out that the British journos got tickets to the first show, and the Irish to the second :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Hopefully we learned something from the bank bailout and if its raised as an actual possibility then people need to tell this Gov no means bloody no.

After the absolute s$ite we've seen from rte this summer something more than PAC enquiring occasionally about poor Dee's health and wishing her well needs to stop.

The dog in the street knows she's hiding and the sooner she's made to pony up the better

As for tubs, the man is a lost cause. Could never be compared with Graham Norton. I've never seen Norton on his chat show but family members are high fans.

And he's from Cork🤩

Post edited by podgeandrodge on

Tubridy is being asked by the Women and Agriculture conference to be a keynote speaker. What is wrong with these people. They are going to ask him about hosting the LLS and books.

If they were going to ask him what he was gonna do with the €150k that would be something!

Article below:

In what is set to be his first full public appearance since the RTÉ payments row last summer, Ryan Tubridy will be the keynote speaker at the Women and Agriculture conference at the Lyrath hotel in Kilkenny on October 25th.

Tubridy will be having a “fireside chat” with Ciara Leahy of Irish Country Living, the organisers. She’ll be asking him about “hosting an iconic chatshow, presenting radio programmes and writing best-selling books”. The Oireachtas Media Committee, this isn’t. Janine Kennedy, acting editor of Irish Country Living, agrees the conference aims to have a positive and encouraging tone.

Launched in 2008, it was originally designed to give women connected to agriculture a day off from farming. It’s always a sell-out, Kennedy says, and 500 of the 600 tickets for next month’s event have already been shifted.

Tubridy’s appearance, which will last about half an hour, was booked through his agent Noel Kelly but organisers will not disclose the fee. When we asked, tongue in cheek, if it’s anything like the €25,000 a pop Renault paid the broadcaster in 2020, Kennedy said: “This is not a moneymaking event and we don’t have that kind of money.”

(duplicate posts, as original posts didn't originally appear for half hour)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

If you object to RTÉ sending a journalist to cover the biggest band in the history of Irish music when they star at the opening of a major venue in “the entertainment capital of the world”, what you really mean is “shut down RTÉ”.

Or do you mean “No to Irish broadcasting” ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

What the hell does tubridy know about women and/or agriculture?

Or, what the hell does the Women and Agriculture conference need to "asking him about “hosting an iconic chatshow, presenting radio programmes and writing best-selling books" ??

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Thought he read a ‘delicious’ book about both subjects?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Field east

Is the interview going to be about ‘work/life balance. It will be intriguing to see who controls the narrative and what that narrative will be. I would expect that Kelly has ‘Very CLEARLY explained’ what questions that are NOT to be asked and what areas are not to be gone into. These would include, I would imagine,

:- has he done any work towards earning that €150,000?

and if not why has he held on to it to date? - if he has not paid any of it back ;

and why was he paid sooooo much in advance ? A% of the total cost as an advance might be acceptable -

does he intend paying it all back?

and if so when will he.?

Since the Renault deal was between Renault and himself and probably negotiated by Kelly on RT’s behalf, then why o earth did RTE get involved. RT may not have known the details of the ‘arrangement then but he must be. MORE enlightened now considering all that has gone on in the meantime

has he any regrets now knowing while everyone else were accepting reduced wages/salaries/contract payments that his was significantly increased - using the ‘TOURIST ROUTE’?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Irish Country Living - says it all really. These are Tubs people.

This interview, and the surrounding talk of it, is all being orchestrated by NKM.

It's another event to try to normalise Tubs again, get his name in the papers, and try to make him employable again.

A 30min fireside chat? Delicious.

Excellent set of questions, might print them off, attach to billboard, and stand outside the conference!

And again Rte won't tell us information about how they are wasting money.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/rte-wont-reveal-why-presenter-was-paid-allowances-of-43000/a1135463917.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

O my god it's possible he'll go to the opening of an envelope before this whole debacle peters out.

And what does he know about agriculture anyway?

The man doesn't seem to be an expert on anything or am I mistaken🥴😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Why do I think of one of the best intros of any song ever? Money for Nothing!

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement