Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starlink - Anyone get it yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

As others have said, you should be getting a lot faster than that ... 200+ downloads are more typical.

Have you checked for obstructions on the app? There may be a big red blob where your house is. 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Bedouin79

Thanks no joy yesterday couldn’t access work. In the office today will try again this evening otherwise it’s the office again tomorrow. Rumours of others in company having problems too. Hot spotted off my phone and connected straight away. So it either a work software problem or it’s starlink. Can’t see it being starlink

• Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭893bet

i an rural with no useable options other than mobile broadband.

I had been using Eir and had been getting great comparable speeds (50 down and 10 up) in comparison to my hardwired line of (5 down 0.5 up).

For some reason my mobile broadband has gone to shite.

Unuseable speed often worse than the hardline used to be. Could it be that the 5g mast is just overloaded at this point with so many phones having come on board the last 2 years since I got it?

Looking like Starlink is my last option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭micks_address

see that at my parents.. they have mobile broadband and it comes to a crawl on the evenings.. id imagine its just contention.. is fine in the mornings and most of early day.. i have starlink in dublin (not what its intended for) and it works a treat.. 150 plus download and 15 up... never any issues streaming or two working from home.. trialled it beside virgin 1gb for a month and no one in the house could tell the difference.. obviously wired is faster.. but the appreciable difference is minimal.. my main use case for starlink (a litty batty) is when we have a power cut can still have internet.. only have a couple a year.. but we were out 24 hours during storm betty in august and was so smug having internet and tv and coffee! (coffee from a coffee machine.. not starlink)

i don’t even need that kinda speed. No gaming or anything going on. Just want to be able to share my screen and video at the same time.

Eir while very nice and professional on the phone (eir business account) said there was nothing they could do, assured me I hadn’t been throttled and that there are no errors with equipment in the area etc.

what are the chances of a Black Friday Starlink deal ….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I believe sometimes the engineers adjust the area covered by an antenna. The idea being to improve coverage. In such cases there will be loosers as well as winners.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

After having starlink for nearly a week, i can confirm it is a game changer.

Our old house had 1g from Virgin and it was great, then we moved 3-4 weeks ago, and we got imagine, and it was nothing short of horrific.

Now we have starlink, and while i always thought our TV was shite, it appears netflix is streaming in a much higher res than it was when we were using virgin, which leads me to believe Virgin were throttling Netflix?

I am also considering Imagine but getting locked into an 18 month contract feels like a bad idea...........

Don't even bother, i was getting 120mb down during the day when no one was at home.

0.01down in the evenings.

waste of time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Have ours on the way here too - thanks for answering questions above folks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭dougm1970

my son...who uses it for a mobile gaming van he has for parties etc.....hit 350meg in ballisodare, sligo last week....highest speed hes had on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Bus Boy

We have it in Sligo too, just outside Enniscrone. Speeds are brilliant. @dougm1970 Head into Peacock Lane, a few pals just opened it.

For those worth a Starlink how well does it travel around the house through walls etc. Prefer not to have to add an extra modems or extenders

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭dougm1970

yea....wife was in it with her friends sat night...said its nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Drymaster9000

It works well enough as long as the router itself is in a central spot in the house. There will always be slower areas depending on the size of the house and obstructions, which is expected.

In my case, 2 extenders nodes from a Tenda mesh were essential and it made a dramatic difference. I've had mine about 11 months now. Its maxed out at about 450 but usually you're getting 150 - 300 or so. It was absolute game changer for us in Kerry. Shite mobile coverage and no broadband available at the time.

Moving to a 1gb fibre line in the next 2 weeks so will be selling mine on.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Wheelman2

Hello all, looking to get starlink for someone who's currently only getting 2mbps. NBI will be coming at the end of next year, so just planning on getting this temporarily for him until it is released next year, as circumstances has changed for him and he now needs better internet and unfortunately can't wait.

I've looked on the starlink website and it's available in his area, but I'm just wondering is the price I'm getting correct? As I remember when I first looked into it when it was first being released, I was getting of a price of 4-500 for equipment then 65 a month.

Now when I'm looking it's coming in at 65 a month and 50 euro for equipment. And 15 per month for equipment rental. I was just wondering are these prices correct? What's the price everyone else has paid? I want to get it ordered hopefully soon so just want to make sure no hidden costs etc

As I said, this is just a temporary measure until the end of next year, if anyone can help or give any input it would be greatly appreciated.

I paid straight up for the equipment so I own that, didnt do rental. Its 65 per month and no other charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Wheelman2

How much did you pay straight up for the equipment? For the fact this is going to be temporary would rental be the best option?

I paid 709 in total including taxes and shipping. 527 for the hardware alone. I guess you'll need to calculate that yourself depending on how long you'll have it.

80 per month seems good enough to me. Dont know the current price to buy it fully but it would only take the 6 months or less paying the 80 a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I paid €500 for equipment 18 months ago. Monthly charge used to be €99 per month, but that's now €65 as you see. I'm not due to get NBI until the ass end of the rollout (2026 or thereabouts), so it makes sense to own the gear.

I think for your friend, if they only need it for less than 26 months, it would be cheaper to go the rental route.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

Don't forget the dish itself has sell on value in you calculations

So after a couple of weeks of living with starlink set up on the grass on my drive, i can say i'm actually in love with the system.

Compared to imagine, it's night and day. so happy we went for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Mine just landed in the door - can't wait to get it set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Same, I replaced it with imagine about 8 month's ago. Really happy with it and there are 4 of us streaming/gaming in the house

Can Starlink hard ware bought second hand?

Not geotagged so only work at a single address after registration etc or how can it be set up if bought secondhand?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭micks_address

There's an ownership transfer process on their website

They are now selling refurbished equipment for 50% off RRP.

Typical after i paid full price a few weeks ago.

Ah well

I believe this is just in Australia they've started doing this.

• Advertisement

Refurb seems to be an available option for Ireland, but perhaps the order might by be rejected. It’s a big discount.

Advertisement