Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists' responsibility for their own safety *warning* infractions given liberally for trolling etc

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Neither are cyclists. An all black car (of which there are many) not running it's lights...as does happen.. should surly have hiviz panels for those among us who do use our lights. Only fair

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

So generally night time is dark.

If the cyclist wears dark clothes the cyclist would appear invisible.

It’s not that hard to understand tbh.

😂 ok chief.

Sure take it up with the car makers and explain why they need to make the panels on a car hi viz 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Probably makes sense to just ban dark cars, and have high vis panels. Even trains have high vis panels on the front of them these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,243 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

It was a simple question. What are you trying to say.

• Advertisement

If you can’t understand that a cyclist wearing dark clothes with no lights nor reflectors, in the dead of night is practically invisible if there is no street lighting then there’s not much point carrying on this conversation.

Have a good day 👍

If you can't explain the point of your own story, it's obvious there's isn't one.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

No one is required to have hiviz, but if the driver had fitted hiviz panels to their car, the cyclist would have seen the car and not fallen on it.

There IS a motorway though, the driver just chose the local road, and the cyclist had a go at him for not choosing the other route. That's how it works, right? We all get to have a go at those road users who choose routes that don't suit us?

How does the driver know what hit his car if the cyclist was completely invisible?

No need for the drama. You can buy hiviz stick-on markings on eBay and elsewhere for a few quid.

When are drivers going to take responsibility for their own safety?

• Advertisement

No reflectors? You just added that bit in now. It would really help if you gave the full story up front rather than leak it out in dribs and drabs. What happened to the mandatory reflectors that were fitted to the bike when it was sold?

You never seemed to have a problem with lumping all cyclists in together as lethal aggressors because one came within 10m of you on the footbridge on the Liffey. Why do you only have a problem with generalisations when directed at your cult-like community of drivers?

Perhaps you're right though, perhaps we're not being fair to the 2% of drivers who do obey speed limits when we slur all drivers as law-breakers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭kirving

Can't inflict the same damage, true, but can certainly raise the stakes such that even the slightest error from a driver results in their own serious injury or death.

It was contended earlier in the thread (in response to the hi-vis study I posted), that it it may have been biased due to attracting people who are more inclined to ride safely, as to perhaps explain why fewer cyclist-only accidents were reported when wearing hi-vis too.

A reasonable enough contention, in that cyclists (and all road users) do need to make responsible decisions to protect their own safety, and those decisions can be very effective at protecting themselves.

Back to the OP of this thread - cyclists responsibly for their own safety...

Not to you specifically, but I can't stand the response to a driver complaining about an "invisible cyclist" being "well if you saw them they weren't invisible". Yes there are drivers who notice notice nothing, but an otherwise attentive driver happening to catch a shadow moving across in front of them, is luck, and not much more. The response of putting 100% of the blame on the driver in that scenario is ridiculous. And I appreciate that most people here have no-time for cyclists with not lights.

I mentioned earlier that I worked on tech to eliminate blindspots. A little vague (I can't give too much information) but I recently travelled literally halfway around the world, specifically to look at technology who's main purpose is to detect cyclists and pedestrians - because the best visible light cameras in the world are not capable of detecting cyclists, at night, wearing matt black fabric. Almost zero light is reflected, so an entirely new technology is needed. Just for pedestrians. Black cars are reflect way more light (and are mandated by law to have reflectors too).

Humans are expected to drive cars using their eyes and ears only. That comes with responsibility, but also expectation that other road users will comply to their responsibilities too.

Even with perfect training, it's a physical impossibility that all drivers, can see all around them, at all times, in all conditions. I have no doubt that if I was suicidal enough, I could put myself in a position whereby an poster on this thread would knock me down in their car - and they would be held responsible.

In an environment where the roads are shared, more vulnerable road users need to be aware of a drivers limitations.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Most cyclists (well, on boards anyway) will fall back to a position of lights trumping clothing. Clothing is reactive and requires light to fall on it - which with dipped beams can be hit and miss - but lighting is proactive and can be seen from a greater distance. I've seen bike lights from over a kilometre away at times. Way before I'd see a cyclist, even if they were dressed as brightly as possible and I had full beams on.

Bicycles are mandated by law to have reflectors too.

Given the expectation that road users need to make responsible decisions to protect their own safety, and that of others, can we expect motorists to fit hiviz panels to their vehicles, particularly dark vehicles. The cost of these hiviz is negligible, in the context of overall ownership and running costs of a vehicle.

That's why lights are a requirement for cyclists.

What you're really saying is those who don't obey the law should. But that's not really understanding that these people are deliberately not obeying the law.

The whole tech thing is irrelevant.

All cars are fitted with reflectors, and lights, pretty much for the past 100 years.

I'm not advocating for mandatory hi-vis for cyclists anyway, so why do you keep going on about vehicle hi-vis?

I, and every emergency service the world over (and conversely, military), knows that brighter colors reflect more light. This aids drivers who are looking. It's not some panacea, or protection shield, and you can still be hit.

I can understand that, and also not believe that it should be mandatory, for anyone.

Ignorance of the law is no defence, as I'm sure you would agree, if it were laws which were applicable to motorists.

You are effectively saying that someone navigating our roads, at night, with no lights, and no retroreflective material, bears absolutely zero responsibility for the outcome of a collision, because they didn't know any better, and that the motorist should have seen them instead.

I'm reminding you that state of the art visible light cameras, with a 360 degree field of view, which never ever so much as blink, are not good enough to see a cyclist wearing matt black at night, but motorists are expected to do so.

I'm saying someone who's deliberately flouting the law isn't going to care about responsibility.

Never did I say they were ignorant of the law. In fact I said the opposite. "Deliberately not obeying the law".

Drivers have their own obligations. Are you "effectively" saying if someone perhaps drunk or sick wanders out into the road. A driver has no obligations.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Is that a case that there's not enough contrast for those cameras to intelligently recognise and track them, or that they simply don't show up in the image at all? I.e. would a human looking at the same image spot them?

Also, I wouldn't expect someone to see an unlit cyclist on an unlit road in the dark, nor would I expect a camera to easily do it. But that ignores the effect of a motorist needing headlights to see any potential obstacle. Everyone should have lights.

Some companies decided to use cameras instead of radar, lidar, lasers etc. It's had its problems. Come a long way no argument.

• Advertisement

Apologies, I read it as "not deliberately not obeying".

My point is that there are expectations of all road users, and limits to what can be reasonably expected from other road users. As a cyclist and driver, I'll always wait the extra few seconds for a cyclist to pass me on the left for example (and have been beep for doing so).

A cyclist who is A) riding in a predicable manner, not sitting in a blindspot, with a light, makes my job of looking out for them so so much easier than the cyclist who is B) wearing black, with no lights, who has just passed traffic behind me on the right, cut behind me, and now passing me on the left.

If I was to left hook the second guy, it would be my fault on paper, but they have created almost the entire situation which I now bear full responsibility for.

The bus driver did a great job here for example, but would it be reasonable to blame the driver had the woman been killed?

A human looking at the same image would see nothing. Headlights are limited too really, they can't be overly bright so as not to blind oncoming traffic When someone is wearing matt black at night, you're very much reliant on them passing in front of another light source so as to be seen.

As per the first post on the thread, leaving the scene is abhorrent, and there should be jail time for that alone. You'd have to question why he left the scent of course, but I really can't see much issue with victim blaming if you get hit from behind at 10.15 pm with no lights.

Even a cyclists with rear lights will be a fraction of the power of a cars headlights.

Is that to say it is easier to see a cyclist using your headlights, than if they had a light?

When it comes to being seen, emitting light is infinitely more efficient than 1) the car's headlights emitting light, scattering, 2) some light falling on a matt black coat, 3) a tiny percentage of that being reflected, 4) scattering, and 5) some of that reflected light landing in the driver eyes.

If the driver can't see what's in front of them with the headlights that's a bit of a problem.

If you wear black clothing with almost zero reflectivity, what are the headlights supposed to reflect against?

Can you think of a reason, any reason at all..... why road signs, bollards, cats eyes, cones, bollards and registration plates use retro-reflective materials as opposed be being made from black cotton?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭SeanW

I was a daily pedestrian in Ireland's major cities for the best part of a decade. In that capacity, I indeed generalise as I certainly saw enough lawbreaking by cyclists (and had enough near-misses) to warrant this.

Not sure where there the "cult like" part comes into things, 2.8 million is a fairly large cult, but all I'm asking you to do is to clarify (be specific!) which of Ireland's 2.8 million drivers you so readily accuse of "killing X or Y people every week."

Because 2.8 million is a very large group to tar with a brush of "killers" I'm sure you'll agree. But perhaps you can explain why you use such large groupings as "motorists" or "drivers" aware that it's such a large group?

So generalisation is OK, based on personal anecdote and and confirmation bias, but not based on independent professional measurement that comes out with 98% non-compliance? That's some twisted logic there.

I'm not sure where you got the term 'killers' from, because you didn't get it from me. By cult-like, I was referring to the fervour of your defence of law-breaking drivers (who are killing three or four people each week on Irish roads) particularly when contrasted against the fervour of your attacks on cyclists (who are killing one person each decade on Irish roads).

just a personal anecdote, take from it what you will; while out driving, on several occasions i've come across unlit cyclists not wearing hi-vis on *proper* dark country roads, but none of those situations could i claim anyone was in any danger. i saw them in enough time.

the one occasion where i did come close to knocking down a cyclist was at the link below - and it happened in broad daylight. IIRC it was my wife shouting a warning which saved the situation; i think what happened was that whatever combination of speed i was doing, and the cyclist who was coming from the right was doing, he was obscured by the A pillar in my car (an octavia, i don't know whether they're particularly well endowed in that department); we both came to an emergency stop. i got quite a scare, probably trivial to the one i gave him.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4322038,-6.3453014,3a,75y,306.03h,76.76t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPiVMkf5JPL48QYbI1CgeZg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

that's my memory of it - perhaps i'm making excuses for myself with the A pillar story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭SeanW

I consider lawbreaking by cyclists in Ireland to be universal. So I find your complaints about "non-compliance" to be a little rich.

You are on record as accusing "motorists" and "drivers" of "killing X or Y people every week." Yet, each time, you seem to leave out the fact that Irish drivers are a very large cohort, and have difficulty defining which of the cohort fall into the group of "killers." And yes, if you accuse a group of killing people, then it follows that people in the group are killers, unless you can clarify which members of the larger group you are accusing, which so far you haven't really.

But at least we're getting somewhere as you've narrowed it down slightly to 98% of drivers in Ireland, or about 2,744,000 drivers. Still most of that number have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the small number of incidents you refer to. So what is your basis for blanket accusing 2,744,000 people of "killing X or Y people every week?"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement