Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I don’t think we went crying to the fa though. Embarrassed much?

I don't think challenging the PL refs to be more transparent is a bad thing.

They couid start with releasing the audio from that mistake yesterday!

They get away with poor decisions too often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Who's asking for a replay? Plenty of pics showing Liverpool getting decisions against em last season, Gakpo literally showed stud scrapes on his chest when mings done him last year and ref waved it away. Like I said, decisions come and go your way but this one yesterday stinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Liverpool are not crying the the FA they release a statement on the back of PGMOL releasing a statement saying there was human error there is a bit of a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yeah but Spurs should issue a statement saying how it's terrible we got the benefit of VAR and give out about it, or something.

You've hit the nail on the head joe though, VAR will never get sorted right because of the tribalism and point scoring. They'll keep getting away with it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

It was bad. Doesn’t make up for the Champions league final though.

I think the AI offside is the only way to go. Take human error out of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

They did, and fair play to em, massively got the rub of the green to the Nth degree which makes it all the sweeter for em.

• Advertisement

Champions league? Spurs bottled that game tbf. It was a clear pen btw. Weird one to hold a grudge on.

No grudge at all. Liverpool won CL and that’s that. No way a penalty though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Probably feck that up to, but yeah, its the way to go.

As long as they can program in the anti Liverpool decisions, they'll be grand.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,190 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Only saw this clip now from the game earlier today. Keeper absolutely boots Wissa and no penalty awarded 🤦‍♂️

Lads (and ladies) we are never going to get anywhere here. Firstly I think every spurs fan knows that the Var decision was shocking and none of us know how it stood.

The red cards, neither side is going to give way. On another match they mightn’t have been given but they were.

You win some matches, you lose some matches with decisions. I think an overhaul of VAR is necessary with a dialogue with the ref audible and go through the decisions in plain sight rather than in isolation.

I think calling spurs a joke team is uncalled for and the multiple posts saying we will end up as 7th or below are strange.

Anyway, have a good night and look forward to next weeks football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

He backtracked at full time on his halftime stance,I laughed anyway, the only thing in the farce I found funny,langer should have stood his ground right or wrong, not strong enough in his own opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Jones red card fine. Personally I think it was more orange than red but fine. Red card but can't disagree one of those.

Diaz offside a complete joke.

Jota first yellow wasn't even a foul. Which created the second problem.

Salah booked for just existing.

Udogie not booked for the inaginery yellow card when other lads have been all year.

The referees team having a nice weekend away together in Dubai lash week. Nice when you can get it.

No conspiracy, just a shambles. Liverpool are due a few decisions now. I know it doesn't work that way but they are.

Also that video of the referees face when he was told that they fecked up. A picture paints a thousand words. He made 2/3/4 big decisions after that. What way did they go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

There's some really weird precedent set over the past while, where keepers can smash players however they want without even getting near the ball, and nothing's given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I thought the Jones one was a red.

The Diaz one was a joke. Very similar to the one for Brentford against Arsenal where they forgot to draw the lines. A mistake like that should only happen once so they really need to look at improving the process.

The first Jota one was harsh but in real time it looked like he clipped him to stop a break away. That happens in every game and there is never focus on the yellow. There is only focus on it now due to Jota being an idiot and lunging in a minute after he got booked.

The imaginary card thing also needs to be looked at. Some people get booked and some don't. It should be the easiest thing in the world to be consistent about yet they somehow mess it up.

Post edited by irelandrover on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DAngelo Bailey

No bait at all just my honest opinion on Liverpools statement. Calling for further action and stating that sporting integrity has been compromised is ridiculous. The PGMOL have explained the error and apologised for it that is all they can do.

Liverpool are going on like they are the first club to have ever had a howler go against them both West ham and Newcastle had apologies off the PGMOL for howlers which cost them points last season and there were no ludicrous statements Wolves have had one this season no ludicrous statements. All I'll say is this I'd hate to be the next team Liverpool are playing against.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭McFly85

In fairness, that’s not all PGMOL can do. These decisions cost points and when the error is so egregious then they should ask for a full review into why it happened.

We’ve seen 19 admissions I think from PGMOL around incorrect decisions or VAR not intervening when it should, but they don’t seem to have learned anything from those incidents. Without pressing for things like actual reviews and updates to the process based on those findings nothing will get better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

So you think it's OK for PGMOL to keep making mistakes once they say sorry afterwards? Why is the Liverpool statement ridiculous. Every club has been screwed over by VAR at some stage. This should not be about Liverpool and when tribalism is brought into it then none of the issues will be solved.

IF there was an overhaul of PGMOL and how var is used then it would benefit every club but no Liverpool are the big bad wolves in this. Maybe if West Ham,Newcastle and Wolves had made statements then the mistakes might not be still happening.

Surely anyone with interest in this topic can see that changes will benefit every club not just Liverpool

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It's worth considering that the on-field decision was the incorrect one in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

You could counter that with, Jota should have been booked for a cynical foul on Bissouma not long after coming on. He was rightly on a yellow by the time of his second booking and he threw in a brainless challenge. Got what he deserved.

Also, on Udogie, he was incorrectly booked in the first half for a challenge where he played the ball and didn't foul. Liverpool got possession and then a goal resulted from that possession.

What's that saying about swings and roundabouts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Augme

But they haven't explained the error. And it's clearly not all they can do, they can also state what changes they have made to the process to ensure this never happens again.

Also, this is simply a subjective decision that turns out to he incorrect, it was two people responsible for operating VAR who had no idea what had actually happened on the field and were also never told what had happened. The reality is if the refs haven't been so consistently bad the only answer to this would he a fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Augme

How are people pointing out that spurs finish pretty where they normally finish in the PL so strange? If spurs want to talk themselves up as title challenges etc then fair enough, but don't be surprised if people counte that.

Spurs have finished outside the top 6 three or four times in about 20 years. We've been in the top four more often than outside the top 6.

We have no chance of winning the league btw. Things will settle and we'll get a bad run somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Wasn't that the tackle where Udogie clipped the ball then his wreckless follow through wedged Gakpos ankle under his knee and has put Gakpo out injured for weeks. Still frame of that tackle was as bad as the Jones Red. But yeah harsh yellow alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

He did foul when he continued on through the the tackle as Gakpo was still going to get the ball, in fact it was that follow through that has now put Gakpo out for the rest of the month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

I am a Pool fan, I don't mind any of the decisions in the game except the Diaz one as all the other decisions are subjective. With the standard of refs in the PL it changes from week to week re whether you are lucky/unlucky on those ones.

Football in England is unlikely to improve due to the level of tribalism, as a result no meaningful debate can occur and the very issue at debate gets swept away with what about my team's disallowed goal in 1932, etc.

The scenario here is simple; 3 people are in an office with screens from every angle of the game; PMGOL are claiming that all 3 did not see the assistant flag for offside - is that possible? How many millions watched the match on tv; I doubt anyone of those millions at home did not see this as offside, even if you missed the flag, could you not see the Liverpool players not celebrate.

Even accepting the above could happen; the screens in front of them would have stated 'DISALLOWED GOAL - CHECKING OFFSIDE' - Did they misread this to say GOAL GIVEN - CHECKING ONSIDE'

Even accepting the above; they communicate with the on field ref so would one assume they say Simon Check Complete it is a Goal, etc.

I cannot see how the explanation could have happened - I think my viewpoint is reasonable and all I would request is the audio to be released so the debate is factual and transparent. Given it took about 3 seconds to complete the check, it would not be long.

In relation to the match; the result of course stands, good luck to Spurs and in Ange you have a calm coach with what seems a clear vision as it was impressive how they played out from the back. In terms of the title, it is City all day though I am encouraged with my team that we could match them with 10 games to go if we were close to them though I see it as unlikely.

It's unforgivable, absolutely incompetent. But the screens didn't give much away - they just say something like "VAR check - possible offside". It doesn't give an indicator of what the on field decision is and even the Liverpool fans continued celebrating long after we spotted that the lino had his flag up. There was a bit of confusion in the ground.

I think the explanation is believable. The VAR official thought the goal had been allowed, said "no check needed" and then they played on and it was too late to fix it. It's unforgivable, it's incompetent but I see how it could happen.

If that's the case, the fix is easy, the ref and VAR official confirm what the decision is not just say "check complete".

Two points on this:

1. People saying "get rid of VAR, it doesn't work". VAR isn't the problem here, the officials were. If VAR wasn't there, the goal is ruled out anyway as the lino flagged it.
    2. Yes, this needs to be fixed. But people need to remember that there is a person here, who seems to have made an honest, albeit stupid, mistake who is getting vilified on social media and in the press. Wouldn't fancy being in his shoes today.

I agree completely that the technology works.

My issue is that the process needs to be explained; hundreds of times in the league a goal will be scored and then the offside flag goes up. My understanding is that there is clear communication between all officials in this scenario; the linesman clearly says player is offside, etc. So even if the VAR refs did not see it, they definitely heard it so I don't see how it is a honest mistake.

The simple solution would be to release the audio if it was human error, why would anyone be against that?

Yeah, I think that's fair. I dunno if they've ever released audio before which many mean they don't do it to avoid a precedent. But, personally, I can't see why audio shouldn't be released if requested.

I've seen some conspiracy theories. I know that's normal with football but people need to reign that stuff in. There's no way someone would do this deliberately when their incompetence could be proven within minutes and they know it. I'm a Spurs fan and I wouldn't have done what the VAR official did on Saturday deliberately when I know I'd be proven to be incompetent and I'd be the talk of the whole country for a week and be taken off future games. That fella must be in a mess this morning. It's a stupid, honest mistake. We've all made them at work (including Joel Matip and Diogo Jota...).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Not to drag on this, as it becoming repetitive at this stage, but this is my whole issue with the whole VAR in these situation. Yes one guy can somehow make a mistake in not doing the only thing he's meant to be doing while at work, that much beggars belief. But where I get lost in all this, is what was the VAR assistance at during this process? Like does he just sit there nodding in agreement to all decisions being made, regardless of any errors made, because if that's the case, what's the point in having them there in the 1st place. Surly 2 people could not be that incapable of such a simple task.

I think with non subjective decisions, there should be no issue releasing the audio as there is really no human involvement as technology makes the decision. If it is a honest mistake, then the process should be changed so it cannot occur again, end of story.

Issue with football is the tribalism, you seem level headed but still need to get a dig in on Matip who probably feels pretty awful also and Jota.

It's not really a mistake. He knew it wasn't offside apparently. It's a miscommunication between people using technology. It's incompetent but it's a miscommunication rather than the fella getting the decision wrong. It happens in every workplace and every home every day of the week. That's not to excuse the mistake but the FA need to find a way of avoiding a repeat rather than just saying "human error" and leaving it at that.

Not sure on the VAR assistant. Not too familiar with how they operate.

Fair point, they were cheap shots. Just making the point that players and coaches also make mistakes. It happens even if it shouldn't. But you're right, I shouldn't have said it.

• Advertisement

Hopefully they just release the audio, end the rubbish that gets put out there, also that it confirms it was a honest mistake and they change the process. Whoever came up with the original process should be removed as adding 2 words to Check Complete is not tricky; i.e. 2 options Check Complete Goal or No Goal.

Having audio will only help the referees as we can understand the logic for the decisions; of course we will disagree as fans only see it from their perspective but at least it is clear how they came to that decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I posted this on the Liverpool thread, but meant to post it here:

There is structured language in cricket and rugby. Anyone who has followed both of those games knows that errors by video referees are rare because of that and because of the professional way in which the conversations happen.

In soccer, we have nicknames being used - Tayls for Anthony Taylor is one I heard - and friendly discussion. A complete lack of professionalism.

I have said it many many times about refereeing in the Premier League, there are serious cultural issues there.

No Asian referees, one token referee of colour this season, one token woman, most referees from the Northwest of England, no international recruitment, how can you have competent referees when you recruit from such a limited pool?

Looking after your mates, as Mike Dean admitted to doing, is the result. Liverpool are the latest victim, but other teams have been victims too, the Brentford offside decision which would have seen Arsenal go eight points clear last season being one.

To give an example of how unstructured VAR is, just look at the Nketiah offside against Everton, VAR correctly ruled that Nketiah was in an offside position when the ball was played by Gabriel. However, they stepped into an on-field decision by also deciding that Beto had not played the ball deliberately. That is a decision for the on-field referee, and they should have sent him to the monitor to decide. The referee may well have decided that Beto did not make a deliberate play for the ball, and the offside may have stood. However, by denying him the chance to make that decision, VAR caused a problem for themselves. That decision is purely a result of the lack of procedures, the lack of structured language, the lack of professionalism.

Now, if you doubt what I am saying just think of why VAR works better in the Champions League and World Cup? Because it has to be more structured and professional due to different languages, different countries, different cultures. You don't have mates chatting to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DAngelo Bailey

Human beings make mistakes what we saw here was human error the only way to avoid this is to have the offsides as totally automated decisions which the PL clubs turned down during the summer that isn't something the PGMOL can fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

This rule too that you can not criticize the officiating in the media is BS too and ads to the god complex of referees.

Liverpool were right to make the statement they did last night.

The PGMOL basically said we messed up, and nothing is going to happen as a result. No apologies, no comments such as 'we will do better', or aim to improve the processes etc. They basically said we did the only thing we have to do correctly, wrong, and there's nothing you can do about it. And don't care question us or we'll suspend you from playing and/or a heavy fine.

Liverpool taking it further is actually beneficial for all clubs if the processes change, such as wording for offside checks. Or if some more transparency is brought to us. Football fans should want that. Leave the tribalism aside for once.

What does taking it further mean though? Liverpool should set out their demands and not use passive aggressive language that nobody knows what they are looking for.

• Advertisement

For a start, they can explain how they messed up, and who did it. Release the audio. Why did the VAR not use words like 'goal can be awarded' when they are used in every other check? Why was it rushed?

And then we can look into setting new rules, if they are not already in place, around now the decisions are worded. Which benefits everyone. Stop having referees or VAR hide and not be accountable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

If you are completely biased then that's what the PGMOL statement said.

The statement I read said they admit they were wrong, admit a serious error happened and that they will investigate it. I don't expect them to be able to really say anything about how the process will be fixed before its investigated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Or they could do the logical thing and ditch VAR entirely.

I remember when linesmen got 99% of decisions right along with the odd decision wrong.

It was better than this shite, but nobody wants to address the white elephant in the room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Release the audio and let everyone hear it, as fans I think all we want is transparency and I really don't understand why it's so difficult to get that.

Mistakes happen, it's part of life but if there was more transparency it'd result in better communication. More people hear the error and more people able to turn around potentially at the time and say wait, that's wrong.

Rugby have it, it may not be perfect but you feel involved as a fan in the stadium and more so on TV. When it's not revealed, that's where conspiracy theories and agendas start to snowball.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement