Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists' responsibility for their own safety *warning* infractions given liberally for trolling etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,243 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Modern cars have terrible vision out of them. Hence they are reverting to cameras, on mirrors, everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Are you suggesting that drivers aren't killing three or four people each week?

Or are you playing some pedantic word game to fulfil some obligation to your cult to protect them from the harsh reality of drivers killing three or four people each week?

I don't have a crystal ball, so I can't tell you which drivers will the be the ones to kill three or four people each week. It may not be three or four this week. It could be one or two, or it could be five or six, but on average, drivers are killing three or four people each week. You can play whatever word games you like. They don't change the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭SeanW

I'm not "suggesting" anything of the sort. I'm coming right out and saying it. Explicitly and unmistakably. "Drivers" or "motorists" are not a collective hive-mind, and accusing the entire group would make as much sense as accusing other groups in society based on a very small number of bad actors or outcomes.

Besides, some fatal incidents don't even have a motorist as the cause, like 70% of pedestrian-motorist collisions.

It is a fact though, that drivers are killing three or four people each week on Irish roads.

Your taking of offence on this doesn't change the facts.

What definition of culpability are you using for that 70% statistic you quoted?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

This is comical, when an immovable object meets an unstoppable force but we never find out what happens because they skirt within the boards rules for not engaging in discussion.

Truth is, as pretty much everyone has said, everyone should have lights, everyone should open their eyes and pay attention. In the well documented absence of one or both of these things from drivers and cyclists (not all but some), if the number was small enough and everyone else followed the first two points, we would all be grand. Sadly this is not the case and there should be more done in regards enforcement of road traffic laws as they stand which if properly enforced are more than adequate enough to reduce our death toll to almost zero on the roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭kirving

So both retro-reflective material, and matt back clothing is equally visible, and it's only drivers observation that's the issue? Got it.

The Free Speed survey is total massaged nonsense to be honest.

Unknown locations, good weather, no other traffic, straight roads, no hills, intersections, 5.30am-7:30am.

Yes drivers speed, a high percentage too, but the experiment was specifically designed to inflate numbers.

Your so-called "fact" is at best a misleading platitude, designed to deceive and manipulate. And that's being generous. And such broad-brush demonisation would not be accepted for any other group in society.

The actual facts are clear. Ireland's 2.8 million "drivers" are largely blameless in these incidents.

I genuinely don't think that enforcement alone is, or ever will be enough to limit road deaths.

Enforcement will never target vulnerable road users, who (as per the thread title) do have a responsibility to their own safety, as it's repeatedly derided as victim blaming.

Look at how the Construction industry tackled deaths. They brought in mandatory Safe Pass training for everyone on a site, in 2001 or so.

Enforcement is no good if someone is dead, and noone intends to go out and kill someone, so enforcement isn't much of a deterrent IMO.

I'd love to see data on how many penalty points drives who have caused fatalities have, I'd bet it's no more than average.

I genuinely don't think that enforcement alone is, or ever will be enough to limit road deaths.

Enforcement will never target vulnerable road users, who (as per the thread title) do have a responsibility to their own safety, as it's repeatedly derided as victim blaming.

Look at how the Construction industry tackled deaths. They brought in mandatory Safe Pass training for everyone on a site, in 2001 or so.

Enforcement is no good if someone is dead, and noone intends to go out and kill someone, so enforcement isn't much of a deterrent IMO.

I'd love to see data on how many penalty points drives who have caused fatalities have, I'd bet it's no more than average.

It IS a fact though. Drivers are killing three or four people each week, regardless of how fervently you deny this.

• Advertisement

It's a measure of how drivers speed when they have the opportunity to speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,243 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

"....The State’s workplace safety watchdog issued more than 340 notices to cease dangerous activity last year as more than €1.2m in fines were handed out in the courts over breaches of legislation.

The Health and Safety Authority (HSA) annual report for 2022 said it completed 11,150 workplace investigations or inspections last year, its highest level since 2013...."

The irony of saying enforcement doesn't work in this thread. Is that the driver who should have been in custody and not on the road anyway. Was stopped at a check point and let continue, even though driver and car were not legal on the road. Then killed someone. Drove on and hid the car.

The cyclist was wearing dark clothes. He had a small red rear reflector, one yellow reflector on each pedal and a yellow armband.

Enforcement is definitely not going to work if you don't do it.

No, it is not. "Drivers" in Ireland are a group of around 2.8 million people. You need to be more specific, otherwise you can rightly be accused of generalisation or collective demonisation.

Accuse all you like. None of it changes the fact that drivers are killing three or four people each week on our roads.

So you claim, but you can't even answer a basic question like: Which of Ireland's 2.8 million "drivers" are you accusing?

This is coming from a cyclist, to whom the entire concept of obeying laws is at best theoretical :D

My point stands.

A) I said "enforcement alone" ie: in conjunction with training.

B) I never said enforcement doesn't work. I said it wasn't a deterrent - which it clearly isn't. (Unless the place was plastered with cameras, which I'm totally in favour btw.)

C) In any case, the HSA have serious powers, and yet, they are still dishing out fines all the time for non compliance. Doesn't seem to be much of a deterrent, does it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Anyone who thinks the safepass helped with site safety has clearly never done a safepass course. The updated 2006 SHWW act was on the way, I'd say the decent fines there done more for the big sites than the safepass. H&S site managers didn't exist in a lot of places, now it is one of the best paid jobs in the bigger construction companies.

Enforcement by my definition means hardcore enforcement, average speed cameras (with motor tax, insurance etc runs against databases, fining people for driving faster than conditions allow (not just over the limit), fining people driving round at night with just DRLs, fining cyclists without lights (in fact in the latter two, seizing and putting the motors/cycles to auction would be my next change to the law). Reduction in points to losing your license.

Education doesn't work in regards road safety as witnessed by most road users having a license and few being able to obey the most rudimentary of rules which they knew about before they got their license. Same for cyclists, ignorance of the law is not an excuse.

I've done it multiple times, albeit over 10 years ago. It was a day well spent each time I thought.

Enforcement, of any crime, is far less effective than education, because people don't believe they will be caught. Look at the M7 Average Speed cameras - they still catch dozens of people every day. Does that translate into fewer road deaths? Hard to tell - depends on the reason for the fatal collision. Having 6 points on your license won't stop you pulling out in front of someone you didn't see.

I was in the US last weeks. The place was absolutely crawling with police (border town). Two cars which passed me speeding on the motorway were pulled. Didn't register with people whatsoever, they kept the speed up. Few miles later, another car pulled. It was comical nearly. Probably saw 7/8 stops in 2.5 hours. They're enforcing laws, rightly enough, but the drivers haven't a clue. Their driving test is a joke.

We don't have education in Ireland either, 12 lessons and then 35 minutes pottering around a local town is wholly inadequate, particularly in the context of most deaths occurring on our rural road network. To dismiss education based on that is wrong. Look at countries with the lowest road deaths - education and training is absolutely key to the whole agenda of road safety, coupled of course to road design, and enforcement too.

It's the same in other types of criminal justice, workplace management, schooling, etc. - education over disciplinary action every time. Why is enforcement the #1 in road safety only?

Can we sieze and auction all the cars with broken brake lights or no back lights because DRLs too please?

I've answered your question three times. Do I need to repeat it a fourth time?

And this from a lad who complains about generalisations! You crack me up Seanie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

In California (other states as well possibly) they have a penalty points system, not unlike our own one, but they allow you to go to traffic school to avoid penalty points for an offence such as speeding or avoiding a stop sign. I think this could ultimately make our roads safer

This adds more weight to the argument for mandatory hiviz panels on all cars. Clearly, the current level of reflectors aren't effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Not to get dragged into the back and forth but hi viz on cars or bikes/cyclists will do sweet FA if motorists aren't looking at the road ahead. Its so often the case these accidents happen as they're engrossed in their phones.

Good to hear the passengers had exited the car though.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭ARX

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if a phone was involved, but it's worth noting that people were horsing their cars into stationary police cars long before mobile phones were common. Here's a paper from 2002 on the subject: (PDF) An analysis of 'looked but failed to see' accidents involving parked police vehicles (researchgate.net).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Actually it adds more weight to not breaking down on the motorway and sitting like a target waiting for the shot instead of getting behind the barriers.

You have no indication from the photograph of if the vehicle had broken down on the hard shoulder or in a live lane, if the vehicle had lights on, if the vehicle was using hazard flashers etc. Please stop embarrasing yourself with your arguments.

Doesn't really matter what lane it was in. Hiviz panels would have made it much more visible than the dark blue surface.

When are drivers going to take responsibility for their own safety, but putting hiviz panels on all sides of their vehicles, and wear hiviz clothing going to and from their vehicles and while driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Road leading up to a roundabout.

Road has bike lanes (brand new good quality bike lanes) next to the footpath.

Car is using road.

Bikes are in bike lane.

Car wants to turn left at roundabout and is watching for traffic coming from right predominantly.

Bikes go on straight without taking into account that the car is indicating to go left and has a gap in traffic.

Bikes collide with car as car turns left.

Who is at fault?

• Advertisement

What kind of hiviz panels were fitted to the car?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement