Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not a fair deal

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The 'Fair Deal' is Mary Harney's legacy to us. You are quite right, when it comes to nursing home care an individual family is better off to have no assets or to be wealthy enough to afford private care. The ones that have their assets stripped are the majority in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Assets stripped?!? You describe this as stripping of someone’s assets?!?

Yes - if you are the sort of person who has sought to support yourself after retirement.

That's 80% of all income - state pension but also any pension scheme that you've paid into, plus portions of other income.

7.5% of assets per annum - for three years. Property, land, business. That's 22.5% of all your assets if you live in the nursing home for three years. I've been in nursing homes and some are there for only a few months, others are there year after year.

That is asset stripping.

In fairness, I can see some logic in the idea but it should not be called the 'Fair Deal'. A fair deal would treat everyone equally as regards contributions regardless of income or assets.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

But they don't have to use the fair deal scheme. They can keep all their assets and just pay for their own care if they think "the state" is trying to "asset strip" them. Or their kids can look after their care.

What you're talking about is wanting taxpayers to pay for the elderly person's care but not touch their assets solely so they can be inherited.

Why the hell should I pay for your parent's care just so you can get a nice inheritance?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Deeec

Why should you have to pay for the care of someone who lived on the dole for life and lived in a council house?

Why should you pay for the care of someone who despite earning good money never bothered to save or buy assets?

Why should you pay for the care of a wealthy person who was clever and transferred all their assets long before they needed care?

You do realise that you are already paying for the care in full for people that fall within the categories of all the above.

• Advertisement

"Why the hell should I pay for your parent's care just so you can get a nice inheritance?"

Why the hell should you pay for your neighbours parents care, who never saved a penny or bought any assets?

It's a question of fairness, that all elderly people are treated the same as regards cost of nursing home care, if needed.

As it is, you have one group subsidising the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

No the state contribution was something like €293, fair deal covered the rest with the exception of €400 due to my mums assets being assessed in full but fair deal could not have their interest attached to part of the estate due to other parties having a legal interest in it which they refused to sign away. If my mum had stayed much longer in nursing home care we would have had to sell her house to pay the difference as this was the only asset wholly in her name. We are still not out of the woods. She may live decades more and she still has cognitive impairment due to alcohol misuse.

Here’s a really good idea. Take your elderly person into your own home and look after them. Or move in with them and take care of them.

You can pay home helps to come and give some professional care every day.

Or find them a nice nursing home and pay for it weekly.

You don’t have to apply for the fair deal at all.

How does that sound?

Just whataboutery here really. If people can't pay, we as a society should pay for them. If the reason they can't pay is that you want a good inheritance, then you're morally repugnant - absolutely equivalent to the feckless dole-lifer everyone looks down on.

I should pay for that neighbour's care because they need it, plain and simple.

The parents who can afford their care are not subsidising the ones who can't, the tax payers are. You are speaking as if the ones who can afford to pay are morally superior to those who can't, while also saying they should not pay and instead hide their assets so their children can have more inheritance.

This is some real hard-scrabble rationalising your own selfishness.

It is about fairness. How is it fair for someone who can afford to pay for their care to force the taxpayer to pay for it, all so that they can give an inheritance to someone who does not want to pay for their care?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭delusiondestroyer

**** the state we pay plenty of taxes into it and they will throw money to handouts for every sort they can find and if they can't find em they ll import em.

But the dying tax payer they ll give a "fair deal" to and squeeze every last bit of money out of em they can.

We should stop paying healthy employable young people the dole and allocate that money to look after the elderly.

It's up there with inheritance tax, Taxing money that's already been taxed...

• Advertisement

They do take there assets what are you talking about ? 1800 a week a house even in this climate wouldn't last pissing time.

They should legalize euthanasia in this country, rather than rail roading people into nursing homes to sign them up for extortionate fees.

I know what I'd rather anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Sounds fair, as long as everyone agrees to do it.

You need to go and do a bit of reading about Fair Deal. You haven’t a clue what you’re talking about. What are you talking about “1800 a week a house wouldn’t last pissing time?” why are you trying to join in a conversation when you don’t know anything about it?

More rubbish. What are you going on about? “*** the taxpayer?!?” Who are you to spit in the face of the taxpayer?

More rubbish? Try reading what it actually says instead of what you want it to say.

I am the tax payer.

So are the elderly that are being fleeced for end of life care.

End of life care should be state funded and resources should be reallocated from things like refugees, people exploiting the dole ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,980 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I know plenty about it and have had to deal with it, why your trying to sugar coat it as a good thing and an actual fair deal is disingenuous.

Have you ever actually had to deal with it ? I don't think you have.

Your the typical "I'm alright jack" brigader.

You’ve already demonstrated that you haven’t a clue about the fair deal but that doesn’t stop you commenting on it. Why would anyone listen to anything else you have to say?

Just cause your an advocate of extorting money from dying elderly doesn't mean anyone that disagrees with you has "no clue "

And are you supposed to be some sort of authority on it is it ? Don't make me laugh.

Come back when you read the post correctly

Post edited by delusiondestroyer on

No you really haven’t a clue. You posted that “1800 a week a house won’t last pissing time” . I simply asked you to explain that in the context of Fair deal. You’ve posted 2 or 3 times in reply to me but you’ve offered no explanation. So we can all assume you simply don’t know anything about where the family home fits in with fair deal.

Why don’t you just sit down and be quiet and let the adults talk amongst themselves….

• Advertisement

So we can all take that as your well to do have never wanted for money and have 0 experience with the fair deal and what it actually is outside of what you read on a website.

A typical well off, entitled yuppie crying about her "taxes" and how there being spent.

Do us all a favour and take your own advice cause your no expert and your opinions should be disregarded.

I can't tell if you're being purposefully obtuse here, but they've stated on this thread many times that they've used the fair deal for their mother's care. They went into clear and specific detail. Are you not reading any of the posts?

You must not be or you'd see that they are not the one crying about their taxes going towards the undeserving, they're pointing out that the fair deal is optional and doesn't punish those who have assets, rather it asks them to contribute towards paying for their own care if they can.

I mean it's hilarious, a page ago someone was saying TooTired was obviously one of the lower socio-economic classes who benefited from the Fair deal as they had no assets, now hear you are saying they're obviously a wealthy yuppie. you haven't a clue what you're talking about.

Seriously go back and read the actual thread because you're posting incoherent rubbish and really don't seem to know anything.

So still no explanation for your “1800 a house…” comment.

You haven’t even read this thread never mind having any knowledge or experience of the fair deal. Do you even know how to follow a thread?!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Fair deal can work for some but make no mistake, it is the less well off middle that are getting hit with this with the poor escaping payment but also the well off negotiating their way around it.

For many many years, the state basically took peoples pension if staying in Public home which was obviously very fair.

Now, for the unfortunate people who have not planned suitably, the costs can be hefty considering the weekly costs being quoted.

There is no reason for people coming on here all high and mighty complaining about not caring for relatives. The facts are that the care is the same whether one pays with cash, or via fair deal or for someone with no assets so the care is not at issue. Financial planning in this regard is no different to proper tax planning. Perfectly legal and acceptable.

If fact, arguably a relative who isn't having to come up with 22.5 percent of the value of their inherited home on the death of a parent is mote likely to be able to provide for all the extra services required in a home so there is more than one angle to this.

It's all OK saying a son or daughter inherited a house so they should pay. In many many cases, that person has given up career to look after parent fpr many years and eventually had to get professional care. That person will then depend on the family home for their residence and a bill for 22.5 percent is just not manageable at all for most of those people.

In the situation where someone sells their home prior to needing care, the entire value of the property would be taken by the home in a few years. That is an asset built.up over a life time wiped out at a rate of 100k per year based on the cost of some public homes. Criminal really.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭hawthorne

It may might be that most folks on DA do not own a house. So it would create no problem for them to include a possible home in the means test, would it not? It would not affect them because they have none. But those who have a place would pay their fair deal and can still live in their houses. So where exactly is the problem with including the home in ALL means tested SW payments?

• good to see too tired has decided they’re the only one who knows anything and effectively is now telling everyone else to shut it.. 🙄

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement