Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That one person is right about one thing: Putin is holding it all together so good luck to that flippant twit when Putin croaks and it all goes to shít again

Though does speak to a miserable, fatalistic perspective that Russians assume it'll all fall apart anyway and enjoy it while it lasts. Be thankful to the great leader for bestowing health and prosperity upon you, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Seanmadradubh

Explain the following.

How Russians were able to continue attacking over the winter but Ukraine will be unable to do so.

What will stop Ukraine continuing to use small groups of infantry as they are currently.

Why it would be a good thing for Ukraine to pause. (your words)

Not once have you even attempted to refute any of the reasons given why it would be a mistake for Ukraine to pause, the biggest being, giving Russians a chance to strengthen their defences, also giving the newly mobilised extra training time instead of rushing them to the front, in general just giving the Russians a breather, how would this help Ukraine.

Modern warfare does not have to stop in winter, modern armys put in a lot of effort training for all climatic conditions. In the days when armys relied on horses the availability of fodder was what determined the "fighting season", I don't think Ukraine are relying on horses for their logistical train today.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

A22@Seanmadradubh

Explain the following.

How Russians were able to continue attacking over the winter but Ukraine will be unable to do so.

What will stop Ukraine continuing to use small groups of infantry as they are currently.

The Russians won't be attacking they are Defending dug in positions ,and the Ukrainian have been using the small groups of infantry since this started, backed up by a small number of vehicles to mitigate losses , rather than commit to large scale full front assualts .....

Western experts say very much the same thing , thing's will slow down and Become static it won't come to a full stop but it will slow down,

Nothing to argue here at all

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Seanmadradubh

You said things will come to a crawl or stop, involving digging in and fortifying, and that it "makes sense" and could even be a "good thing".

"winter brings combat to a very slow crawl or stops all together, digging and fortification makes sense until the weather improves"

"There will be some ground taken but I reckon it will become pretty static for the next while, which might actually be a good thing,"

My points are as follows. There is no reason for modern armys to pause in winter and allowing Russians time to bolster their defences and dig in would be a very costly mistake (one I do not believe the Ukrainian High Command would make) . Quite simple really.

Western "experts" also said Ukraine woulden't stand a chance in a war with Russia, look how that turned out, be carefull who you listen to.

By the way, do you actually read the posts you are replying to, I asked you to explain how Russia was able to continue attacking over last winter (Bakhmut, Soledar) but Ukraine will be unable to do so this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Long time since I saw Russia do anything successful. Hopefully Ukraine can counter this soon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,274 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Noel reports backed those counterattacks up. Depends on how successful they are. It looked more like a grey area than actual real gains and could fizzle out to nothing like the last few counterattacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

One gets the impression from some posts here that once the winter sets in that Ukr’s war effort will get ‘stuck in the mud’ and there comes to a halt until the place dries out in the spring - an unbelievable thought. Once bullets , missiles, bombs via bombers drones are released /fired, MUCK has nothing to do with their flight path , trajectory , accuracy and distance travelled. So UKr can do a LOT OF DAMAGE to Russian supply routes, arms depots, soldier concentrations, infrastructural damage to fortifications, etc, etc,etc.

and while all of the above is going on the Russians will be kept busy repairing, reconstructing damaged property but more particularly making efforts to try and protect themselves. Thus having less if any time to lay more mines, etc.

I would suspect that Ukr collaborators/special forces can continue to work behind the frontlines - muck or no muck.

the Russian side is a kind of a static entity while it is in a defending mode -waiting for the ‘enemy. It is also organised in big numbers - an easier target than small numbers. Whereas the UKr army is more mobile and moves around in smaller numbers.

most of Russia’s war needs are moved by rail - a sitting duck in the long term. If the artelliary misses the train it probably will blow up the track. most of UKr artelliary is moved in smaller lots and easier to discuise

So, The uUkr army is not ‘ stuck’ for something to do during the winter. And as it is on home soil and know the area better it is in a better position to use the local knowledge to its advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Economics101

People seem to forget that there is a bitter and closely fought general election in Poland next week. I'm sure. given 20th century history, that playing the "German Card" is a sad but inevitable psrt of Polich electoral politics. So maybe we should all calm down a little for a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

The Russian built those trench systems which gives them a bit of a tactical edge within them. The AFU have to probe through them blindly with very limited info gathered from satellite surveys, which will not cover any tunnels they’ve built. This is going to be one of those hard-slogg elements of the fighting that will share chilling parallells with WWI trench warfare.

Thin passages with no cover, and countless hidden warrens where Russians can hide & jump out at the AFU. It will not be an easy fight.

No reason for modern armies to pause in winter but more than likely that's exactly what happens in any conflict as documented by many failed military offensives during winter,

Western experts said Ukraine wouldn't stand a chance against Ukraine I always said with the right resources they could do a lot of damage to Russia and Putin,

I'm careful about using sources, the odd bogey has slipped through over the last near two years,but usually pretty spot on

• Advertisement

@Field east One gets the impression from some posts here that once the winter sets in that Ukr’s war effort will get ‘stuck in the mud’ and there comes to a halt until the place dries out in the spring - an unbelievable thought.

Of course it's going to slow ,this is what happens in winter logistics and transport becomes extremely difficult,did you not watch any of the footage from the previous winters , it's not an unbelievable thought it's fact what actually happens it becomes an artillery duel until they can't get vehicles on to firmer ground to fight,this is what happens you might not like but this is what they are dealing with,there was a reason why the spring offensive started so late ,

Simple question why didn't the counter offensive not begin in winter,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

For winter Ukraine will have an artillery advantage.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭yagan

Knowing that Russia has always relied on General Winter I'm sure there's been strategizing about how to take advantage of that behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

This happened last week too and the Russians were absolutely wiped out over the next few days.

All Eyes On Rafah

I agree that it is beyond question that the winter presents a totally different scenario because of the ground conditions but iritis not to say that the UKr can do nothing to keep upsetting the Ru ‘appletart’ Ukr cannot allow Ru any time to lay more mines/ defences or at least keep that aspect to a minimum . I understand that The UKr engineers/ innovative farmers , etc are genises at coming up with innovative solutions - By way of a very simple example a very , very light vehicle on very wide rubber tracks / tyres that can negotiate the mud and are very fast and versatile. I have never been there so I can only speculate like a lot of us . I had experience of extracting/ driving out a large vehicle from some serious quicksand

Would satelite, US and drone recon nance not fairly pinpoint where these warrens of group concentrations are and bomb the s—t out of them. And if they are empty , at least they cannot be used immediately again which exposes the Ru soldiers all the more. I assume that the UKr has all this worked out so as to get maximum effect from minimum input

• Registered Users Posts: 13,813 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The Polish have been the standout ally for Ukraine in continental Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,813 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Unfortunately Germany has shown itself to be a lose cannon many times over the last 20 years, it's still going to resonate.

Not necessarily no , according to propaganda maybe ,but Russian artillery is still inflicting serious damage despite the repeated claims that Russia is out of guns and barrels ,and ammunition

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭yagan

Isn't it more a case of Russia digging deeper into Soviet era hardware?

• Advertisement

Oddly enough they are producing a mix and older and new equipment, despite various claims they wouldn't be able to ,and only recently they announced an 68% increase in military spending over the next while,that's a big increase even for them, I'd hazard a guess that a good bit of their budget will go on foreign weapons systems,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

For sure will not go down easily, but it is also noguarantee of victory, as the poster claimed.

The early years of the Syrian uprising was also about people fighting for freedom and liberation from dictatorship. They fought with heart and heroism. Look how it ended (in no small part due to Russian involvement).

Ukraine needs continued massive Western backing or has no hope of outright victory. Let's hope they retain it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Quadruple chin nepo emerald mine apartheid off spring hardly has room to talk. Ukraine is fighting for its survival. Back in 2015 he had already received almost $5B in government subsidies for his vanity projects. Seems to be something wrong with him upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Paddigol

It's all such a joke to him, in his ivory tower.

There was a time when people in his position of wealth and power just kept quiet and stayed in the background counting their money and luck. When did it become the norm for them to behave like teenagers?

He should take a trip to the frontlines and see how his tech bro jokes go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

The mask has come right off since he bought Twitter. Little or no critical thinking, far right views, anti-vax, falls for conspiracies, fake pictures on social media, the whole 9 yards. Desperate to be liked and to be contrarian, it's unsurprising he's gone down the "I support Ukraine but" rabbit hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Fastpud

It’s truly amazing how Musk has destroyed his reputation so completely. This was a guy that a lot of people saw as someone trying to do something good, moving the dial on EVs and rockery etc. Try to helping humanity through technology. But now?

Ever since the attack on the British caver involved in the Thailand rescue 5 years ago his reputation has plummeted and continues to do so - is it deliberate, to court the MAGA wing of the republicans to hedge his bets? He didn’t get on with Trump last time and lost EV tax credits, is he trying to prevent this happening again? Or is he just a **** person.

Either way his behaviour jeopardises his businesses, I know of a few people who were fanboys wanting to own Teslas, who now won’t dream of supporting him and have switched to rival EVs.

I’m sure some in the space administration must have great reservations about him and are hoping Boeing finally get their capsule up and running so they can reduce their dependency on Musk.

I can see the EU moving against twitter in the coming years - that is if it lasts…..

edit: Typo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There's a whole thread here dedicated to ribbing and generally collecting the continued brainfarts of this naked emperor, continually unrobed by his own bullshít. He's a middled aged edgelord beloved of 8chan contrarians, I'm not the least bit surprised he's trying to Well, Actually and Both Sides Russia. Like Jordan Peterson, I wish Musk would fúck right off.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement