Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

The CIF can go and do one buying a house is already too expensive when you take all the costs involved. Why don't they look at all of their members take home pay for the last year and tax it at another 10% to fund infrastructure phucking pricks. Call it a gougy mc gougerson tax

Post edited by fliball123 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Thanks.

If the state does buy the property, do the state then keep the rent payments as they are or are they reassesed?

I assume the sitting tenant has first refudlsal on the property and the state cant bump them out and bring in someone from their social housing list.

I think you are right that the prices are near the top of the cycle, but the controls over rental property from the govt are the driving force in landlords getting out of the game.

The eviction ban was the final straw for many.

Rent returns have never been better. If you own a 1 bed apartment in a basic part of Dublin, you can still easily get 1800 or 1900 a month for it.

Plenty of 2 bed apartments in decent areas ( not top end areas) going for 2.5k a month.

The rental income is so high that landlords shoud be falling over themselves to get into the game and yet the exacty opposite is happening!

Why is that happening?

Because the govt shafts landlords at every turn and it is now paying the penalty for that approach.

One example: It can take years to get a non paying tenant out of your home. It should take 6 months tops.

I didnt say it was a sustainable model for couples in their 30s to stay living with parents. I said that when the couple buy a home, they generally dont leave a vacant property behind them.

To answer your question, the tax break for landlords is simply to encourage them to stay in the market.

If there are 50000 homes to rent in Dublin and the demand is 70000 potential renters, the last thing we want to do is drive 50% of those landlords out of the market.

If we do, the 25000 homes no longer available to rent will push up prices for those 70000 folks looking to rent.

Of the 25000 homes taken out of the rental market, lets say 5000 remain unoccupied.

Landlord renovates etc or just leaves the property idle until the market becomes more favourable for landlords again.

Another 5000 are bought by investment funds or big business to house visiting global staff. They do not return to the public rental market.

10000 are sold to private buyers who do live in the home, but many of them moved into ireland from abroad to take up a job or moved out of their parents/shared accom - in other words, they have not left a property in ireland empty.

5000 of the homes are re-let and back on the rental market.

So we have gone from 50k homes to rent, against a demand of 70k renters, to availability of 30k homes to rent, against demand of 70k renters.

Thats why we need to incentivise landlords to stay in the market.

To protect the renters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,639 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

30k over, 50k over is completely irrelevant without context. Some EAs put the properties up at way below market price, often the bidders will have been looking for a long time and will be well aware how high the bidding is likely to to regardless of the asking price. They're a borderline irrelevance.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

Bidding started low. In the end we looked at what we could afford and went all in. We had to borrow from family to get it over the line but after 4 years it's done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I paid 270k on a house listed for 190k on Daft originally in Limerick, it went up to 290 before I dropped out, EA came back a few months later saying it had fallen through and it was mine for 270 if I wanted it. Ill never know if it was him or the owners yanking my chain or if any of the high bids were real but its worth it for the relief of being done with the whole horrible business at last.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭gaming_needs90

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Giving more money to FTBs pushes prices up, who could have predicted this?!

• Administrators Posts: 53,839 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It is absolutely not zero sum as rental properties tend to house more people than owner occupied.

A 3 bed house will likely house 3 tenants, but probably only 2 owner occupiers. A 2 bed apartment will likely house 2 tenants, but probably only 1 owner.

This is exactly why the reduction in rental supply has been so terrible for people in the rental market.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Villa05

The scheme is to avoid the danger of tenants falling into the risk of homelessness. New rentals in Limerick are like hens teeth, if your evicted you are in a very precarious position. Children involved also

The council purchases to ensure the continuation of the rental agreement with existing tenants

Great deal for the tenants but the bigger picture means that housing budget is spent on buying existing property rather than delivering new supply.

Dare I say it but yet another scheme that inflates property/rent prices leading to the rte article above

You could call it pulling up the ladder spreading to the rental market. The sense of hopelessness amongst new entrants must be unreal

Note: This is a tenant initiated program, and a bit of a get out of jail free card for a landlord caught by the rent freeze

Post edited by Villa05 on

• Advertisement

What if the house is housing noboby except the odd tourist.

Personally tax should be balanced so that investment funds are not given a competitive advantage over local LL's. Higher tax for air bnb plus a ban on areas of housing undersupply. Planning was issued for resedentiall not commercial

Once again the question has to be asked why now why have the ramping up of landlords selling happened now its really obvious its to do with the high prices , why not 5 years ago. I agree with regards to some of the controls I think it is ridiculous that you cant evict a person straight away if they have stopped paying rent and I also think it is disgraceful that some tenants can wreck the apartment and then leave with out any recourse as the option to sue them is too expensive for the landlord. That would be 2 ways I would help a landlord out by changing both of these options but giving them tax payers money not a chance in hell I mean what is the difference between this and someone who invested in the stock market and losing a load of cash asking the tax payer to pay them back. The landlord made the choice to buy the 2nd property if it isn't working sell they should make a tidy profit and make your life easier using that lever and they can feel good in the knowledge that yep their tenant may lose out but someone else will gain.

The other part of this is if it was just an acute lack of rental properties in Ireland that was the issue maybe there would be some merit to the landlord tax but there is a huge deficit in all properties - rental, social, shared and private. So instead of giving the landlord free cash from the tax payer and which in turn IMO will not help the situation as the high prices are the driver for small landlords selling so they will be selling any way this money needs to be used to build and before I get any arguments about Sinn Fein or we just cant build enough houses, we have not got the resources etc. We were building 90k+ houses a year back in 2000 to 2007 so it can be done. We are spending 4 billion a year on housing supports that could be used to build, there is a projected 50Billion tax bonanza via corpo tax coming in the next 5 years so that should be more than enough to build what we need. We need more and more and the only way to do this is building fecking around with rent controls, taxes, grants or giving FTB more cash is not going to do anything for the issue. Until there is some cop on to this fact in government there is really no way forward for a lot of people owning/renting in this county.

First off people who buy in the round are a couple and couples procreate so by your "sticking your finger to see what way the wind is blowing" logic it is a zero sum game. Landlords getting tax from the tax payer is not going to help the situation. Prices are ripe for them to sell and also it takes the risk of a non paying tenant out of the equation which to me is the 2nd biggest factor why landlords are selling up after the sky high price they can achieve when they sell

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

I'm sure there's still lots of accidental landlords who traded up but kept their old apartment etc. They're probably nearly all gone although I still know a few...

• Administrators Posts: 53,839 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

People having kids has nothing to do with it. Your understanding of this issue is just incorrect. The facts are that removing a property from the rental market both reduces supply and increases demand simultaneously, and I think you can work out what that does to rental prices.

Landlords selling up will suit some people, specifically those who are in a position to buy, but it is very bad for many more people.

Will tax incentives get them to stay? I don't know if that will work, I don't think it's a great idea, but what is clear is that the situation is fairly desperate now, and it absolutely is NOT a zero sum game like you claim.

Of course couples buying and having kids has something to do with it as it means that in the house your talking about there could be 3/4/5 people living there but you pick a situation to suit your own narrative.. I understand the issue fine. I understand that the issue is housing not just rental and until people on here advocating for landlords to get their hands on tax payers money to give them more cash than the already record high rents they don't see what the underlining condition is. We need more housing end of story and all of the grants, schemes, tax credits etc that the current government are floating are doing 2 things. No:1 its not sorting out the supply side and No. 2 its making property more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,578 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You have not a clue you are letting your anger cloud you thinking. From 2000-2008 we averaged about 60k houses a year. The max was 88k in 2005 or 2006 I am not sure which, however house prices increased by 153/ year from 1996-2006 which drive the building. We imported eastern European labour and skill as they were very low wage economies. As well a lot of skilled Irish building labour returned from the US and the UK. That tap is no longer there as there economies have developed and have good employment.

Every second young Jad leaving school was doing a trade or skill for the construction sector from 2000 onwards. It took 5 years from 1995- 2000 to ramp up building mainly by tax incentives and the FF government at the time prevented a load of new regulations being implements that suited builders. A lot of the quality left a lot to be desired and corruption was manifested every where within the system.

If we manage to ramp up by 30-50% over the next 2-3 years it will be a miracle, there is vast untapped labour resource but it will mean house price continuing to increase by 10-15% a year.

You are incorrect on rentals as well it has been explained to you but you choose not to understand. The government cannot afford any more leakage from the residential rental sector and actually probably need more investment in that area.

Slava Ukrainii

In 2005/2006 it was just under 90k so I was right we have done it before so it can be done again.. People like you have not got a clue its excuse after excuse. We are squandering 4 Billion a year on schemes, tax breaks, incentives and will have 50Billion in projected corpo taxes are you telling me that is not enough cash to draw workers here to build here REALLY. Ireland need to compete like the Arab states and Oz. Give contracts for 5 years let them live rent free and tax free and then after the 5 years let them head home or stay but if they stay they have to start paying tax and paying for their own accommodation. There needs to be a serious ramping up of building I cant believe that people on here think that giving landlords more cash is part of a valid solution that is a supply side issue and not just rentals its all supply. With regards to the rental side its horse crap and an argument built from landlords who want to remain with 2+ properties. Its simple math if they sell one property someone else can buy one property it does not reduce the amount of housing needed in the system it also does not add to the system. The only way that we can add to the system is and will we all say it together until its phucking hammered home is by building more and more and more housing. The so called attempts to help people buy or rent here has done nothing but push prices up. We have tried this now and its proven to be a failure why not use the money and try something different at the moment our govenment are stuck in a hole and think that digging downwards is a solution to get out. Its phucking frightening the lack of basic intelligence displayed by this govenment.

Yes, agreed.

It certianly wont help new renters or those on waiting lists, since it is detracting from delivering new supply and it does have the affect of keeping prices inflated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I think we can put to bed the notion that the war in Ukraine will lead to a collapse in property prices. All the arguing over CSO / Revenue stats and whatnot at the end of last year, wasn't the collapse meant to be well established at this stage? We're nearly two years on since the invasion began.

It just really highlights how dysfunctional our housing market is when we haven't seen any significant falls in property prices given the interest rate rises. We're likely more than half way through the current interest rate cycle. Economists are predicting that the ECB will start to lower interest rates from the second half of next year. I would well believe it too given key Eurozone economies such as Germany are undergoing a slowdown.

We aren't reaching our housing targets as it is and I suspect the targets themselves are too low given the persistently strong growth in population. It has been underestimated for the last few years.

• Advertisement

Any incentive for landlords is needed. It doesnt have to be a tax incentive, it could be a law that means non paying tenants are evicted in 6 months.

It all helps.

But SOME incentives are needed to keep landlords in the game, otherwise there will be no rental properties.

I agree with you about the country needing to build more homes, but in the meantime, we would want to keep the landlords in the market to bridge the gap whilst we ramp up building.

Once we have enough rental (and other) properties built, you can dial back on the landlord incentives, but for the time being they are needed.

90k new homes was in a different labour & commercial market.

Cost of building now, high interest rates, inflation, public infrastructure projects, continued commercial development and lack of available construction workforce are all headwinds that make anything like 90k units per year impossible.

SF will discover this, should they get into power. Thankfully, they probably wont.

I have no bother with landlords getting the law on their side for tenants who have not paid that IMO should actually be a given no matter how good, bad or ugly the supply side is. I do take issue with giving them tax payers money on top of the record breaking levels of rent they are getting after all they choose to invest in a 2nd property why should the tax payer pay them more?

Yeah I get that it is more expensive to build but on the flip side we have more money going into housing supports than ever before we are spending 4 Billion on our current supports for housing and will have a 50billion corpo tax return that is over and above what we should be getting as a country in taxes. The current model does not work and has had the perverse effect of pushing up prices. It can be seen First time buyers got 30k incentives and what happened all of a sudden prices of new builds went up by 30k and that knocked on prices in all areas of market. So just some of the issues you see. If the governments had their own building company they would not need a loan so Interest rates would be irrelevant. Commercial is in contraction with full employment people that are in jobs that can be done remotely are looking at working from home as a must or they change job so we are going to need less commercial space and looking at other trends that are making commercial space a thing that is needed less and less with the likes of online shopping ramping up and the high costs of simple things like eating out putting the kybosh on what would of been the norm for most people eating out once a week/month but in about 20 years time I can see the country pub/restaurants/fashion outlet closing completely as the cost of living in all areas is pricing them out and there is not much value for money anymore and the big cities will be a mecca for dining, drinking and shopping which will mean a need for even less commercial space. As for the lack of workers according to the CIF we have enough labour to build but its planning that is the real issue now as I said before if only there were people who had the power to change this ye know like the government? Then if the issue is labour we as a country over the next 5/6 years will have the finances to poach talent from other countries to build in real bulk but there is no critical thinking we are in a squeeze and there needs to be a 5 - 10 year plan of ramping up building using a public company where there is no need for a profit to be made and even using options like modular builds where it can be built quicker and cheaper and this would ramp up supply alienating the price pressures to both rent and buy. Will it happen - no not on your phucking nelly as the construction lobby is far to strong for something like this to ever happen as it will see their profit margins disappear.

The problem is the current govt doesnt want to be seen to help landlords in any way. I am sure SF will be the same.

Yet landlords hold the assets we need to use, so its a peverse govt logic to drive them out of the market. But SF wont do a thing differently there. They seem to hate landlords more than the current lot does.

We do have plenty of money to spare and I would love to see it invested in the councils building programme, I just dont see it happening under any govt.

Too much cost & labour management for councils and the govt essentially does not want to take responsibility for delivering & managing property.

Councils dont want the cost of hiring building teams, nor the hassle of dealing with non paying tenants.

One third of DCC tenants are in rent arrears! Its a crazy stat but its not uncommon.

There is also no workforce available to staff the new council home build programmes. Anyone in construction that wants a job, has a job.

We are at full employment.

But, there are plenty of folks not working that could work if they were incentivised to do so...

Sadly, our govt has made it too easy not to work and Ireland has a very high rate of non working households. 1.5 times the rate of the UK and more than double the rate of many european countries, despite us being in full employment and there being 10s of thousands of vacant jobs.

SF, nor the current govt, are going to pressure people to work if they choose not to.

SF will just encourage people not to work by giving them even more benefits.

Commercial construction is still strong in Dublin at least, although things will slow down in the office market next year.

There will be more carbon tax/green taxes on online shopping soon enough. Which will help keep town centres etc somewhat viable as people shop locally to a greater degree.

The Planning system certainly needs overhauling and I agree that we need to build more homes. Thats the real cause of the issues we are seeing.

I also agree that more could be done and that we could increase output above 30k homes over the next 5 years. I just dont agree that we can build significantly more than 30k within 5 years.

Not under any government.

The issue is the current system is not working do and letting councils dictate due to not wanting "the hassle" is the tail wagging the dog. We seen how quickly these boyos can get their ass in gear when covid was upon us yet housing which is at a critically low ebb is not seen as important.

Yes, the current system cant keep pace with demand. But I just dont see the appetitie from any govt to radically change approach and the costs involved are huge, not to mention there are no staff to fill the new roles we would need to ramp up state construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,578 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It is not necessarily the ''hassle''. It's simply the inability of the public service to manage staff

Look at the present furore in An Gardai about the change in roster. Compare that to private industry where many companies over the last twelve months have insisted on people returning to the office. The police commissioner cannot I sist on these ordinary rank and file Gardai returning to a pre COVID roster that will balance the working needs if the force.

You can look at the HSE over the last 10 years we have put more and more money into it and yet we still have longer and longer waiting lists and emergency access figures. Middle managers in the public service do not manage. O ly in the more qualified sectors ( doctors, nurses, higher echelon of An Gardai, etc) is there a decent work ethic. A substantial portion of the rest are there to ride the system, part of that cohort are good workers, but there is a cohort that want to do nothing. Look at the sick leave record of the public sector compared to the private sector and people here want to hand over the construction industry to it.

Look at RTE, the HSE, the scandal in UL, there is no magic cure if the state taking over construction

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭byrne249

It was going to be impossible for interest rate increases, as small as they have been in reality, when they increased lending limits for FTBs. For example, I took out a 3% mortgage in 2019. I took out a new 4.2% mortgage this year. This indicates our market has been kept tight all things considered.

Some chap helpfully linked a study purported to support the notion that interest rates led to falls in prices. What he neglected to mention is the study stated 'insofar as those interest rates limited borrowing ability'. Not to mention the study was done by the head of financial stability of the CB leading up to the financial crash but I digress.

I don't believe interest rates have affected borrowing ability in any major capacity. The move to 4x borrowing for FTBs skewed things upward. All that matters is overall borrowing, Which has increased passed an record average of 300k recently. Don't expect any major falls and don't be fooled by scare mongerers. The real fear to me is inflation driving things ever upward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭DataDude

One flaw in how property prices changes are reported is they are reported in nominal terms rather than adjusted for inflation which misses a fundamentally crucial part of the equation.

In nominal terms dublin house prices are down over 3% on their peak roughly a year ago. In that time general inflation has been c6.5% and wage inflation is at c.4.5% (both CSO facts before people start saying “but I didn’t get a wage increase”). So depending on what you used as your inflation measure (wages is a better indicator of affordability), Dublin house prices are down between 7%-10% in 12 months.

That is a substantial drop in prices - one of the most significant ever I’d wager outside the last crash (where I think 10-15% per annum drops were seen in ireland but not any other country.) This time it’s just being largely covered on a nominal basis by underlying inflation.

• Advertisement

Would be strange to argue that the war would lead to drops in prices given the influx of parent(s) and children that was going to lead to

Advertisement