Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any reason left not to go smart meter?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,393 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭championc

As expected amount wise, but still nothing on my app. Gotta call them to get it sorted, as I also need the units to confirm the actual end reading for Energia

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Just spoke to Energia, they received notification from Pinergy on the 24th, so they say that my changeover date will be that day, not the 16th which was the day I completed the signup form with Pinergy. They said that full switch can take up to 14 days which would be the 7th of October, but the bill will be backdated to the 24th by Energia and they will then issue a final bill. She didn't mention the €50 penalty but I'm guessing it'll be applied. My Energia account is showing as being €95 in credit, so between the termination fee and a few weeks of 40c juice, I'll probably have a bill to pay them and then another to Pinergy on the 10th for €300.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭championc

Just off the phone to Pinergy. They were first advised my of transfer request on 04 Sept, and Energia have generated a bill with an estimated reading on that date. They estimated 46kWh when in fact I used 4kWh.

I was fully moved on 13 September and was buying kWh from Pinergy from that day onwards

The Pinergy LevelPay bill has been generated at the expected amount on the expected day. However, physical bills with Meter readings are not available until 30 days after service commences (which must be where Energia's 30 days on day rate comes into things).

So I expect that on 13 October, I will get a bill which will have my Meter Reading commencing 13 September. I also expect that once this reading is provided by ESBN to Pinergy, that they will also confirm the ACTUAL end readings to Energia.

They have asked me to send them screenshots to understand / check the lack of data.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭irishchris

I assume you're isn't a bill with pinergy though? They bill from 1st to 1st following month.

Shows the amount on graph in your account at beginning of month and can't open the bill until around the 14th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

For anyone who has gotten an installation date for a Smart D/N meter (RM108), may I ask roughly where in the country you are?

I'm in Dublin and have heard nothing, I would have assumed the capital would get them first because there's probably the highest concentration of customers, so ESBN could hit their target a lot faster

Also, where was the notice of deemed export ending? I haven't gotten anything in the post about it

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I got 3 letters

One specific to micro gen (esbn)

General one (esbn)

Subcontractor one

On the micro gen one, the letter said I'd be on deemed export until the the SM went in or it will end when I refuse the smart meter

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Niceday20

I was given the contractor's phone number by ESBN after I requested a D/N smartmeter. Telephoned the contractor who said "not active in the area yet" (Mayo) and needed to wait for the third letter (Contractor) as @graememk referenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

What's the difference between a normal smart meter and a D/N smart meter.

I would of thought there were the exact same thing, otherwise they're not really all that smart.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Advertisement

The Smart DN Meter is a drop in replacement for a DN meter, It will behave exactly like a DN meter until the customer activates the smart meter.

The normal smart meter acts as a 24 hr meter until activated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Ah ok, but once activated they are essentially the same thing?

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭trant

Is there confirmation on how to identify the correct model? I think RM108 was mentioned along with a different colour selection button?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Brian4562

I rang them using the number on the letter and they set me up with an appointment Monday morning, Sligo area.

Interesting, there seems to be more in the West/Northwest but kinda scattered around generally

Probably every ESB supply yard got an allocation and they're just installing them when they can

I hear ya substation buddy, we're the last to get everything, including electricity some days 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Delofan

I'm just outside Letterkenny. Getting my SM installed next Tuesday. Have a D/N meter and Solar.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭big_show

I'm in the North west and heard not a peep about the new smart one. I do only have my d/n meter in about 6 weeks though! I've solar so on the priority list. Esb said ring in 2 weeks if I hear nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭alfa_aficionado

I’m in Donegal too - contacted MDE and was told they were planning on installing the smart meter in October.

9.1kWp (5.6E/3.5W)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Gooser14

The RM identification number is shown on the meter case.

Didn't someone recently get an RM108 meter but it was marked RM107?

Apparently there's a batch that are mislabeled

They are functionally the same hardware, just programmed differently, so it's possible that ESBN just reprogrammed a few existing smart meters they already had

So my ESB account ahsnt updated any further info since the 25th, which is around the same time that Energia were notified of my change to Pinergy.

Do I need to delete and re-add my MPRN to get it picking up again?

Oops, never mind. Just saw this on Facebook...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I got notice in the post this week, based in South Wexford. Change over date is vaguely Autumn 2023. Deemed exporting will end the day it changes over according to the letter. If I refuse the meter it will end at the start of November. Conveniently changing over when export is heading to its lowest, missing the time of the year where I exported way more than they predicted but that's just me being cynical.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

They effectively are only they record the data offline slightly differently. Could energy providers have easily used a simple Macro in excel to apply a d/n rate, yes, and account for daylight savings, absolutely, but apparently (according to here I think) it breached GDPR if they could figure out when I was boiling my kettle in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before, but I have just got the letter to say that they are going to replace my D/N meter with a smart meter.

Does the night time rate apply from 12 to 9am all year round with the smart meter, or does it change to 11pm to 8am in winter time??

AFAIK these new SM will act as if they are DN meters, including the time change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Thanks for that. A pity, as I would use more electricity between 8am - 9am than I would 11pm - midnight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,393 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

For anyone on the Pinergy EV plan.

Is the unit rate fixed for the contract length?

Is the FIT fixed for the contract length?

I'm comparing the options when my current d/n contract runs out. Spreadsheet at the ready!

Advertisement