Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Wast that lorry that a number Vietnamese died of the cold in, in the UK owned by an Irish company too? How do people just sneak onto a lorry?

Can illegal immigrants get welfare, I thought only those who receive asylum can?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This ridiculous argument again....

The Irish who emigrated either found work and shelter, or they starved, got sick, and died.

There were no supports of free welfare, accommodation, medical care etc waiting for them when they got off the boat.

Can this completely inaccurate and false comparison be put to bed?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

*Better not let it sound like an anecdote or it'll get deleted!

It must be awful what is happening in schools...a lot of schools must be absolutely bursting at the seams...l wonder how a lot of schools are coping with a massive influx of Ukrainians and international PA, I wonder where they are physically putting the children...I wonder are a lot of schools struggling...so many schools have Irish pupils in the minority that they actually withdraw the Irish pupils for their subjects! and worse moving schools as they in such a minority...I wonder are there a lot of non verbal ASD Ukrainian and IPA pupils in schools with huge needs and no paperwork and no extra staff being allocated to support their needs...I wonder are staff being put under immense strain and their work loads being increased to breaking point...

I wonder, I wonder...

Criminal!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

@Honesty Policy from my personal experience two members of my family, one a nurse, the other a teacher are returning down under where they had lived for 10 years previously, after giving it a fair go here for the last few years, had enough of it quality of life just wasn't there for the experience they brought and too much pressure in their work lives, they're not the only ones by a long shot... Government collectively whistling past the graveyard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Wonder where they’ll be put with nowhere to put them

Mental state of affairs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

You have to ask the question that if we have no accommodation, WTF are we doing allowing more immigrants when these people would be better off in another country where they are treated better or moved to a part of Ukraine that's safe and recieving funding from Ireland.

Our politicians deserve to be wiped out next year, and absolute disgrace of a situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭US3

The current government are at 41.5% in the latest polls. Sinn Féin are 33% This madness isn't stopping. There will be no wipe out.

Any poll about refugees/ips I've seen is 80%+ against it.

This could be the first election that I don't bother voting at all. Any party that's against this madness are also anti abortion/anti vax ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The vast vast majority of Ukranian refugees are in the spare rooms of peoples primary residences or holiday homes and there is currently an oversupply of good people willing to put Ukranians up

The tents at Stradbally are only a holding area as logistically it's a pain to organise all this but it makes a great headline to suggest they were meant to be there long-term

Spotted this in the pre-Budget kite-flying/speculation earlier... full SUSI grants are to be offered for single parents who want to study:

Beneficiaries will include many Ukrainian refugees who have children with them here but whose spouses are fighting at home. In many cases they will simply take a little longer to complete their course or degree.

The freebies just keep on coming! We're already paying full welfare, accommodation, and other supports - now we're going to pay for these people to go and study here too... which of course will lead to the inevitable situations where they won't be going home at all because they're in education, and (the justification that'll be given that) shure wouldn't we want them to pay back the effort by working here after etc.... to say nothing about the increased pressure for places it'll cause as well of course.

It's absolutely ridiculous to be including what are supposed to be people here for the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

You have no proof how long they will be in Stradbally or if those numbers will increase .'' The vast majority are in private residences '' rubbish see the link

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/fp/p-aui/arrivalsfromukraineinirelandseries10/

Post edited by rgossip30 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Its not a good idea. There will be investigations in the years to come of how the government put them in tents and the government will have to apologise for their treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

Kiev is safe enough for every EU foreign minister to travel to and hold meetings. Why not for Ukr citizens to head back?

Nah nice try but you’re either grossly misinformed or outright lying (I’d believe either, honestly)

About 15% of Ukrainian refugees are being put up in private residences.

The other 85% or “vast vast majority” you were referring to are being put up in hotels, hostels, tents, and other various emergency accommodations.

“As of 06 June 2023, 13,699 [of 84,613] arrivals from Ukraine were living in private accommodations, where 6,223 hosts were in receipt of Accommodation Recognition Payment (ARP) for accommodating people from Ukraine.” https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/fp/p-aui/arrivalsfromukraineinirelandseries10/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

And most of the remainder (Soc Dems, PBP etc.) are even more pro-immigrant-refugee...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Not safe - they only announced the meeting was even happening after the ministers had arrived, for fear it might be attacked or disrupted by Russia. That's far more dangerous than Belfast was even at the height of the Troubles.

Well there's a huge part of the country to the west that they could try in that case. As I've said before, it's like someone in Kerry fleeing to Greece because of a bombing in Belfast - or going to Greece rather than maybe Donegal or anywhere else in Ireland first.

I have sympathy and empathy for their situation and we all agree Russia is in the wrong here - but I feel zero obligation or responsibility for solving the issue. This conflict could go on for several more years and I'm honestly far more concerned about OUR country and its citizens and the negative effects this conflict is having here.

We have our own problems - largely self-inflicted as a result of mismanagement, waste and the lack of oversight but many of which are getting significantly worse by the month as a result of the added pressures on our limited resources.

That's where our priorities lie. THEN we can worry about saving the planet. 🙄

I imagine that apology will come after the Russian govt apologises for trying to blow their brains out

Ok so our figures are different but at least we agree then that there are no Ukrainian refugees taking up the homes that homeless in this country need

You clearly haven't been paying attention to the bombings in Lviv or Kyiv lately then...

Have you offered a room in your home to "our" homeless? Considering you are more concerned with their well being than that of people whose homes are literally being bombed as I type this

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Can't agree on that. Kyiv and Lviv are hit by cruise missiles regularly, air raid sirens going off all the time etc. There's nothing remotely normal about that. Imagine if Dublin or Cork were regularly being hit by cruise missiles sent from Britain. People would be hugely stressed and not at all relaxed, probably even have PTSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭US3

Mícheál Martin is currently in Kiev. He would not be there if it wasn't safe.

No, our figures don’t “differ” - there are those that reflect reality (mine) and those that are in your imagination. I’m not for a second going to get into your Trumpesque attempt at “alternative facts” nonsense.

We can agree that you were talking out of your arse, and were caught red arsed.

Re the Ukrainians and their accommodation I’m not sure precisely what the breakdown of their emergency accommodation is, or how it affects access to housing for our own homeless.

However I do know they are occupying a large portion of our available tourist accommodation, which drives up prices for visitors and makes us a far less attractive destination. This has further deleterious knock on effects for local businesses and restaurants in these areas that rely on tourism.

We’ve just allocated another billion more quid to pay for that - do you understand the concept of opportunity cost? That’s a billion quid that could be spent on our own housing infrastructure, but won’t be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

It's safe for ministers not for locals. The Russian's don't bomb the politicians. The UN figures actually show that relative to other wars a lesser proportion of civilians are being killed which is little compensation to anyone whose loved ones were killed.

I'm sure Michael Martin is very safe. He'll be back looking for a round of applause for his bravery but there's no way he'd visit Russian occupied Luhansk where 14,000 were killed prior to the war. The little **** is doing everything he can to get us into NATO.

Fairly sure our results do in fact differ as yours say one thing and mine say another, whether yours is true or mine are is irrelevant to that point and we still agree that there are no Ukrainian refugees taking up the homes that homeless in this country need...

Yes 1bn spent on protecting Ukranians, sounds like a lot of money but wasn't our bank bailout €60bn? Most of the 1bn you refer to is coming from the EU to aid Ukranians so we wouldn't be able to spend it on homeless accomodation in any case

They hit Kyiv about once every 3-4 months. So try to understand that going there for a day or 2 the odds are that you might be ok but living there permanently, not so much

Well I don’t actually know what your figures say because you haven’t provided any - you’ve just made a general statement that the vast majority are in private accommodation without anything to support that.

So yeah, I don’t think you’ve any claim to what is “true” at all. Gimme some figures or I’ll conclude that you’re just making stuff up.

I’m also interested in educating myself better on how that 1bn is actually going to come from the EU and not us, I’m totally ignorant on that but I’d like to learn more if you have anything I could read on it

I think there's a degree of truth to the politicians part of your post as was proven by the Russians knowing about Joe Bidens visit a few months back. I assume the Russians killing a foreign leader, however accidental it might be, could be seen as an act of War against another country.

Enjoy educating yourself... If I provide you with these details it would be me educating you and I'd rather not take that away from you

So none of those figures for your first claim and nothing on your latter claim that I can’t find anything about.

Almost as if they don’t exist. Colour me shocked.

Only a partisan ideologue is happy to blatantly lie to others in championing their dogma. If you’re in the right you shouldn’t need to lie.

I’d be embarrassed of myself if I couldn’t be honest about the facets of my beliefs, good and bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

Sorry to burst your bubble.

i think we've set aside a total of 6.5 billion for Ukraine refugees.

an extra billion added to the 5.5 billion. 53 million doesn't cover it.

The US that supported the 2014 coup and armed the ultra nationalist Azov brigade on Russia's border pays none of those supports to Ukrainian refugees.

Anyway, the money to refugees is at least going to the right people unlike the weapons the US send, a shame that NATO keeps blocking a ceasefire. The UK proportionately does very little for refugees despite being a huge backer of the war.

Post edited by grumpyperson on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

I can’t see how it could be an act of war. Ukraine and Russia are at war, so Ukraine should be considered an active war zone. That’s what we’re told when they turn up here with their hands out.

Again, sympathy but no sense of responsibility. Bad things happen all over the world every day unfortunately. Most of them we never hear about, but it's not our responsibility either to solve the problems.

We can only do so much and we have our own issues to solve and that's where our priorities need to be.

• Advertisement

See my post above. It's not our responsibility to resolve the issue nor should we be making our own problems worse by taking on more than we can handle as we've done.

As for your last point - emotive nonsense though it is, I am not in a position to do that because I'm one of those who is paying for all these efforts and gets very little in return.

But that's indeed where our efforts should be going (solving our own problems) , not into making the situation worse for everyone - homeless, working, native or otherwise.

Again I feel sympathy and empathy for the situation in Ukraine and its people, but zero sense of responsibility or liability. We have our own problems to deal with.

Advertisement