Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peter McVerry Trust has 'financial issues'.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,972 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Activelink is there as well of course.

The internal promotions happen but you don't need to be qualified life experience can get you a key worker position with some of these services.

A lot of these staff have been there for years and can be grandfathered in.

All kinds of hostels mens, womens, mixed and family.

PMVT or other homeless services are not going to hire hundreds qualified social care workers to work 24/7 365 on €35k to €55k a year.

The qualified social care workers mostly work normal hours Monday to Friday.

They hire what they call caretakers, relief workers,support workers etc these take up the majority of jobs these services use and very few if any of them are work a 39 hour week the hire lots and lots of casual workers and none of them need social care qualifcations.

This is the same for private home care services that are funded by State minimum staff number of staff qualified social care and the majority training to do level 5 etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Ahh I’m just annoying you , I’m a homeless service social care worker.

So your just trolling annoying the thread for you own amusment then instead of actually participating.

Fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,638 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I did explain my claims, quite clearly with links to their accounts. You are deflecting. What are you trying to hide about PMVT? Is there more hidden away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I can have a problem with both. The govt for throwing money at them and the charity for mismanaging it. Hardly a month goes by without some "irregularity" in the plethora of set-up-your-own charadees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,795 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

No you haven't. Lets try once more.

Your claim was they spend a fortune and make the problems worse and that's some of the reasons you don't like them.

I asked you to explain that, what's your reference for such a claim. How do they make the problems worse and...

Have you a cost analysis?

Does the government or agencies of the government provide the same services, do these cost less are they more efficient?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭blackbox

I wouldn't ban charities altogether as there are lots of people committed to addressing various problems.

However I would ban anyone from being paid by a charity. If you believe in the cause you will volunteer.

The only exception I would make is for the professional auditors.

Lots of charities employ nurse both general and psychiatric others employ various types of counsellors , tradesmen as part of maintenance teams , IT staff and so on , all to work free ? Never mind the various types of project worker s and social care workers. Would you be willing to work at night ,over the Christmas and public holidays for free ?

I would definitely start defund homeless services that keep the revolving door of homelessness open for a large majory of the service users instead of actually putting the work into preventing those same service users becoming homeless over and over again because the goverment money keeps rolling in the more beds that are filled in these services and it doesn't matter if that service user has been made homeless 2 times 3 times or ten times before.

Charities like the Irish Cancer Society should be getting more funding and not having to rely on Daffodil Day fund rasing to pay for nurses.

• Advertisement

Ok, they are spending €50m a year, more and more each year, and the problems of homelessness is getting worse. Which bit of that is so hard to understand? The Government are throwing more and more money every year at the poverty industry yet things get worse. It is such a waste that the government would be much better off shutting down those charities and giving the money directly to the public.

So

(1) Is PMVT spending more and more money every years? Yes

(2) Is the problem getting worse? Yes

So now that I have answered your question, dealt with your distraction and whataboutery, maybe we could get back on topic to the financial shenanigans in PMVT, and you can answer the questions I have raised about their accounts, which happens to be the topic of this thread.

If you want to ask a further question about the government and homelessness, I'll only answer that on the government thread. I am here to talk about PMVT financials and not get diverted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,795 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Ok, they are spending €50m a year, more and more each year, and the problems of homelessness is getting worse. Which bit of that is so hard to understand?

All of it. Largely because it is illogical.

It's in part government policy and lack of policy that is making homelessness worse. That's a fact you seem unable to not just understand but acknowledge.

You have offered no reference point for the €50m. Because you don't have one.

It is such a waste that the government would be much better off shutting down those charities and giving the money directly to the public.

Would they not be better offer actually funding the services they pay the charities to do?

If you want to ask a further question about the government and homelessness, I'll only answer that on the government thread. I am here to talk about PMVT financials and not get diverted.

Fingers in ears?

Government policy is directly linked into why the Trust now has financial issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,125 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If true, this is absolutely appalling- but perhaps explains why the staff are ineffective.

No reference point for the €50m???? It is in the accounts that they spent €50m.

Oh, maybe you are right, perhaps their accounting is so bad, we can't conclude that they spent €50m.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,932 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Boggles threadbanned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,659 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The issue is how things get done in Ireland, he who shouts the loudest which in practice is...... x ngo/charity has as an issue, x discovers Tusla, the HSE, Pobal, won't stump up or else X is being directed to some support in how they could be managed better, x isnst happy with that so they get in touch with friendly journalist hoping for a bit in the newspapers or even better a bit on an RTE current affairs program. The charity does this in order to put pressure on the government to give them more money. I would say the friendly journalists have been swamped coming up to the budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Bottom line to me is if they receive money from the gov, tax payer then no matter what services they supply their accounts need to be open honest accurate and completely above board.

Whoever is on the board needs to be hauled up to answer every question.

And they shouldn't be allowed to do a 'Dee Forbes'.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭chrisd2019

Problem is it seems the government does give plenty on your behalf, without asking your consent.

I too do not contribute to these charity "businesses", indeed when they shake the box or request card details, I remind then I am a tax payer and that is my contribution.

I do wonder though how much is wasted on the likes of begging letters to the resident, occupier, householder that drop in my door via An Post at a growing frequency.

An awful lot is wasted on the begging letters. From what I have gleaned from accounts, it can be up to 60% of the amount raised. Now, if charities were more transparent about their accounts, I would be able to verify that, or clarify and change it.

• Advertisement

The model is wrong PMVT should not own any property themselves, the provision of the actual housing could be anything a housing association or a professional landlord for profit, the support should come from PMVT and they should only be providing the support which should be evidence and outcome-based and monitored to check that all visits and supports take place, and other services should come from mental health services, GP's, and the like.

They should not be employing policy advisors or communication people themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭chrisd2019

Also they seem not to correlate those that do respond with the letters sent, as I must be getting Christmas cards from Simon supposedly the work of disabled artists for the past 20 years, even marking them return to sender and putting them back in the post doesn't stop them arriving the following year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭blackbox

In my view, if you are employing all those people you are a business, not a charity.

If a psychiatrist or a nurse or a banker wants to give some of his time for free to a needy person, that is charity.

You may have a different view.

Bearing in mind that nearly all schools in Ireland are registered as charities , should their staff be working for free ?

To give you an example Simon Detox provides medical assisted detox from alcohol / benzos is,needing addiction nurses to be employed full time , how would you a get a team of nurses to provide their services for free ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Volunteers can in some cases play an important role in helping charitable organisations.

However if the charity is providing services which require full time professional staff they cannot rely on volunteers.

The staff have bills to pay, they need a place to live, food etc. therefore they need an income.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Your point is well intentioned but naive it's also not unique and is actually a problem for charities in Ireland

The problem with not paying people is you just end up with unqualified people doing jobs they are not trained to do and you just will have even more scandals. Anyone who has volunteered for a club/society understands how hard it can be to get people full stop never mind qualified people.

As it is charities don't tend to pay well. Once the salary you are offering goes below a certain point you end up with staff doing jobs they don't really have the experience/qualifications to do. This just increases the risk of financial/operational issues.

The other point is you will just end up charities in all but name. They can just incorporate as limited companies. Many do so anyway. Ironically though incorporation would increase the level of transparency with information available on the CRO for a very small fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,771 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Lots of charities are incorporated as limited companies. The question of what legal structure or form an enterprise has is quite separate from the question of whether the enterprise is charitable in nature. One looks at how the enterprise organises, manages and controls itself and the other looks at what the enterprise actually does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Field east

Met with a very experienced person once - worked with all kinds of boards,big , small, commercial and voluntary- and said that by far the most difficult boards to work with were the voluntary ones , with loads of personal agendas very poor record keeping, vague objectives rule braking, personal fifedoms, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

I know but it's not black and white. Many private companies regularly donate money to different causes and many charities have commercial sides as way of generating cash ie coffee shop etc

My point is that banning "charities" from paying X salaries(or whatever regulation you are talking about) is not simple, as profitable enterprises and charities are not binary options. They exist on a spectrum. As can be seen on this thread alone for some people paying staff means you are not a charity. I'd also argue that once you get to a certain size it's prudent to ensure an organisation makes a surplus on a regular basis to avoid financial issues. But that regular surplus can have a charity be accused of focusing on profit.

The increased regulation of charities over the last number of years has helped but I'd still argue its easier to access financial records of private companies compared to charities(assuming they aren't incorporated).

I wouldn't disagree with any of that. The defining characteristic of charities is not, and has never been, that they don't pay their staff; it's that they don't pay their owners. They can, and often do, operate in a highly commercial fashion, hiring and paying staff, running revenue-generating businesses, making profits, etc. What they don't do is distribute those profits to shareholders, owners, founders or whoever; the plough them back into their activities.

The other defining activity is that those activities must themselves be charitable — i.e. for the public benefit. That's pretty broad; it covers a lot of things that go beyond the relief of poverty.

In the UK, the National Trust is an extremely wealthy organisation - it's the largest landowner in the UK, with net assets (apart from its land and property estate) of GBP 1.7 bn, annual income of GBP 660 million, about 2,500 rent-paying tenants and more than 6,500 employees. But it's a charity because it's core business is heritage conservation and it doesn't distribute its profits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,621 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It would probably be more accurate if we could shift to describing such enterprises as "not for profit" rather than "charities" as is common I think in the States.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

It might be, although that too could be a bit confusing. "Not-for-profit" businesses can and do aim to make profits, and actually make profits; they just can't distribute their profits to shareholders/owners/investors/funders. It's the funders/founders/contributors/donors who are acting not for profit, rather than the businesses themselves. People don't always appreciate this.

There is also a distinction between a "not for profit" organisation and a charity. A not-for-profit need not do anything for the public benefit. If a group of people establish, say, a social club — even a very expensive, exclusive social club — that provides a clubhouse, dining, sports facilities, etc to its members, that's a not-for-profit. But it's hardly a charity, since its whole purpose is to benefit its founders, even though the benefit doesn't take the form of dividends or monetary payments.

They have to pay staff it's a daft idea they shouldn't. Any nursing or mental health support should be provided by an HSE-regulated service they should not be employed by the homeless charity or NGO directly. The Homeless NGOs should only be employing the hostel staff and community support staff and staff who direct the money from the HSE to the service, numerous other staff and departments have built up around services and that should not be happening.

Post edited by mariaalice on

Lots of charities are HSE-regulated - all the voluntary hospitals are charities, for one thing. There's no problem in principle with charities employing properly qualified and regulated staff to deliver regulated services. The problem in practice arises where charities aren't funded to employ the professional staff required, but are still commissioned to provide the service, or to provide some kind of band-aid substitute service because no-one will pay for the provision of the regulated service.

But who decides what level of services is needed? An NGO could say we need a service staffed 24 hours a day by clinical psychologists that's what they do in Canada and Norway when they get pushback from the HSE saying they won't fund it, the NGO contacts the media in the hope that that pressure can be brought to bear on the HSE that way, it's a ridiculous way to conduct business.

Homeless services or any services should be very accountable for any funding they receive including close scrutiny as to whether the services are effective.

Most prominent NGOs / charities are governed by having to reach KPIs along with satisfy NQSF standards n order to access funding.

Homeless services in Dublin work under the DRHE.

If you talk to the on the ground staff working for the NGOs you will get very mixed responses about what the service are providing.

Maybe so , but I’m a low threshold homeless service Social Care Worker for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,601 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Double post

Post edited by mariaalice on

• Advertisement

Why would they need to fundraise, they provide the services to agreed standards they get the money? I looked up a service that stays under the radar somewhat they provide wrap-around services, and they are looking for a special needs assistant, special needs assistants are provided by schools and childcare providers why do they need their own? when does the wrap-around care fade out? or will the next generation brought up with wrap-around care need care and support when they are adults?

I know they are more philosophical points but if services are being funded by the taxpayer they need to be answered.

I am all for individuals and families getting support as long as it's open to scrutiny and not just financial scrutiny.

Does the service always work with the aim of fading out service? in other words, do the clients get a time-limited evidence-based intervention or is it lifelong support?

The poverty industry charities aren't interested in the aim of fading out services, or supporting self-sufficiency. If they succeeded in that, they would need less money. That doesn't work for their highly paid senior staff.

Not time limited , my role is supporting people move out of homelessness.Identifying the housing option is a priority, I.e senior citizens, private rented , social housing, supported housing and so in.

In some cases there is lifelong support.

You’re very limited , still you got a thanks , that’s what counts?

if you search through my posts, you find ones that set out the six-figure salaries paid to poverty industry executives in charities as well as analyses of strategic plans geared towards growing income, not solving problems.

The service works based on what professional experts with decades of experience in funding and operating such services know will actual work on the ground.

It doesn't work based on half-assed theories from people with zero experience of funding and operating such services who want to impose their own personal values on others.

And they go back four or five years. I have been warning of issues for a long time.

• Advertisement

Must be great to have the solutions to homelessness that have eluded authorities and providers all over the world at your fingertips.

Advertisement